• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: SOTN - Need help!

I started playing Castlevania: SOTN for my first time a few days ago. I was having a blast and found the game relatively easy until I ran into the Richter Belmont boss fight.

He absolutely destroys me. Every time I hit him with my sword it says "Guard" and does zero damage. If he manages to get a few hits on me, it drains my HP almost instantly.

I'm currently level 21 and using the following gear:

Holy sword
Knight shield
Topaz circlet
Healing mail
Blood cloak

Am I doing something wrong? Was I not supposed to stumble upon him yet?

I've managed to kill every boss leading up to him without dying. Seems like once I got to him I hit a massive difficulty spike.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There’s a trick to it that’s a major turning point in the game. He is suppose to be difficult. You have to find a couple items. It’s pretty cryptic. I’d post more if I had the time. :)

JSoup

Banned
I started playing Castlevania: SOTN for my first time a few days ago. I was having a blast and found the game relatively easy until I ran into the Richter Belmont boss fight.

He absolutely destroys me. Every time I hit him with my sword it says "Guard" and does zero damage. If he manages to get a few hits on me, it drains my HP almost instantly.

Holy sword
Knight shield
Topaz circlet
Healing mail
Blood cloak

I've managed to kill every boss leading up to him without dying. Seems like once I got to him I hit a massive difficulty spike.

Explore the map more.
Look around in the bottom right of the map.
Might be a destructible wall down there, just saying.

ChazAshley

All the previous comments + I think richter is innately impervious to holy based weapons. (could be wrong it's been awhile) don't want to spoil! :)

manzo

Remember when games actually made you think that is there a catch and not being obvious? Not to go down on OP, but this is a prime example of a game made in the 90's versus a game made today. 90's games didn't respect player's time at all and made them explore and look for clues instead of handholding a straight corridor experience and no possibility to fail/get lost. For some, respecting our time is absolutely necessary as we're adults with responsibilities. But these games were quite short and full of action, instead of today's Assassins Creeds which do not allow you to get lost and fail, but makes you do checkbox results of tasks that are not rewarding or satisfying.

SOTN is a very easy game overall, but has a good enough challenge for a first time player. I'd guess most of today's players would just give up in the same situation as OP is right now instead of stopping, looking at the map "did I miss something as I can't do anything to the boss".

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Good job spoiling OP something huge when he/she’s just asking how to beat Richter, everyone.

I don’t remember the details, but maybe Richter, as a Belmont i.e. a warrior of Good, can’t be hurt by a holy-based weapon? Use another sword. And yes, he hits hard.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Good job spoiling OP something huge when he/she’s just asking how to beat Richter, everyone.

I don’t remember the details, but maybe Richter, as a Belmont i.e. a warrior of Good, can’t be hurt by a holy-based weapon? Use another sword. And yes, he hits hard.
Yeah, wtf people, let the guy beat this boss as everyone did back then and only discover that stuff later after going back to his last save (so, no, it's not about "replaying" it from scratch or anything if he does this, you aren't saving him under any point of view, just 100% spoiling the surprise).

Last edited:

OrionNebula

This is the point of the game you open up Gamefaqs on a tab. Trust me.
He’s not wrong
It’s pretty easy to miss almost half the content this game has to offer on a first playthrough
If you have any doubts you’ll ever replay this game : get a guide
Some of the shit in there is pretty obtuse if you go in blind

JSoup

Banned
Yeah, the holy weapon is the issue, Richter is immune to holy damage. One tip, find and equip the holy armor, it blocks like 90% of his damage.

Faithless83

Banned

Holy sword
Knight shield
Topaz circlet
Healing mail
Blood cloak

At first I was "why would you need help on..." and then I read Richter...

HonorableShadowyFennecfox-size_restricted.gif

As already said, holy armor helps a lot. Once you defeat him, come back here... we have more to tell you. :messenger_sunglasses:
And then I gave 3 hints on how to make the fight a lot easier...

Soodanim

I love that there’s still people discovering this game. I didn’t even play it at release - I got it on PS3 PSN after hearing it praised 1000 times on the internet. Absolutely lived up to the hype.

Rat Rage

90's games didn't respect player's time at all and made them explore and look for clues instead of handholding a straight corridor experience and no possibility to fail/get lost

That's why I would call those games "adventures". You didn't know what to expect, because the games were mostly the product of the developers' vision/s. That made them exciting. Todays games are so focus-tested, influenced by whole marketing departments who don't know jack shit about what makes games "good". These games feel more like a well calculated, boring trips to the zoo or a safe zafari. Easy to consume, yet very shallow deep down. They try to evoke the feeling of adventure with expensive graphics and set-pieces, yet they are just that - a boring day-trip to the zoo (perfect example of this is Uncharted, while the polar opposite gameplay experience, which I would call an adventure, would be Tomb Raider 1 on PS1).

Top Bottom