• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare) - Now up on NA Wiiware, 1000 Points

Rlan

A surprise weekend update to the ESRB listings has revealed Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth will be coming to WiiWare.

castlevaniarebirth.jpg

The ESRB description:

"This is a side-scrolling action game in which players battle against monsters in Dracula's castle. Players use a chained whip to fight their way through halls and dungeons filled with zombies, skeletons, flying eyeballs, and bats. The enemy creatures frequently shoot projectiles and attack players in hand-to-hand combat. If players sustain too much damage, they keel over and emit a burst of red blood. Some rooms in the castle also have spikes or spears stained with red, blood-like splotches."

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/09/castlevania_gets_rebirth_treat.php

Dascu

YES

YES

YES

Dascu in TGS thread said:
New 2D Castlevania by Igarashi seems likely. The only question is what platform it'll appear on: DS like the previous 3? PSP? WiiWare(/PSN/XBLA) like Gradius and Contra Rebirth?
YES

Fuck yeah! Looks like Konami is giving some loving to wiiware. First Contra rebirth, now this?

Is it bad to hope for more rebirths?

Xav

Not sure if I should be excited for this, was Contra Rebirth any good? How did it compare to other games in the series?

Cheerilee

duckroll said:
The Rebirth series is by M2. I doubt Iga is involved at all.
That would mean IGA's wall is truly smashed. I mean, I can see Kojima jumping clear over the wall in order to go where he wanted, but this would mean Kojima shattered it when he walked straight through it. It's open season on Castlevania again.

OnPoint

ruby_onix said:
That would mean IGA's wall is truly smashed. I mean, I can see Kojima jumping clear over the wall in order to go where he wanted, but this would mean Kojima shattered it when he walked straight through it. It's open season on Castlevania again.

Not really. I could see IGA still doing the DS versions, but I don't think this is evidence one way or the other. If this is Rebirth like Gradius and Contra were, they'd want a classic take on the game. The DS versions are so far from that.

Aru said:
It's just a remake of the GB game then ?

Probably not. If it's anything like the other games in the Rebirth series - Gradius and Contra - it will have brand-new content but classic gameplay and enemies. I'd expect something more like Super Castlevania in appearance, but greatly slimmed-down in terms of content.

Fuck yes. This is the one I've been waiting for ever since Konami started its ReBirth line. Honestly I wish they would just release all of the games on a compilation disc, but I'll take a new traditional side scrolling Castlevania game any way I can get it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nice as soon as payday hits I am getting Contra Rebirth, loving the Wiiware, got Gradius now will get this when released.

off topic kinda, but with the Wii now supporting up to 32gb do you think Nintendo will get rid of the size limit on Wiiware titles, also when the time comes could they update the firmware to read cards of 32gb when the 128gb cards are released? or can the Wii only read up to 32gb max?

Dascu said:
Maybe that's even better!

It certainly is, since that's the only chance it has at being even decent as an action game. A 2D Castlevania that has escaped from IGA's clutches is wonderful news, if that turns out to be what's happening here.

By the way, I really have to wonder why Castlevania: Bloodlines isn't on the VC.

Aru

jufonuk said:
Nice as soon as payday hits I am getting Contra Rebirth, loving the Wiiware, got Gradius now will get this when released.

off topic kinda, but with the Wii now supporting up to 32gb do you think Nintendo will get rid of the size limit on Wiiware titles, also when the time comes could they update the firmware to read cards of 32gb when the 128gb cards are released? or can the Wii only read up to 32gb max?

No, they won't and AFAIK a 32GB card is useless because there's a channel limit.

OnPoint

Aru said:
No, they won't and AFAIK a 32GB card is useless because there's a channel limit.

Couldn't they update the firmware to allow more channels in the menus? Unless this is something different.

holy shit
if it's anything like contra rebirth I'll come all over my house plus my car and drums.

awe-fucking-some

edit:

Bah Wiiware

what?
xbla/psn already got symphony of night, turtles reshelled etc etc.
Now it's time for Wiiware to get treated by the awesome

Aru

OnPoint said:
Couldn't they update the firmware to allow more channels in the menus? Unless this is something different.

They could. But since it would benefit to less than 1% of the Wii users, I doubt they do it.

duckroll

Zerodoppler said:
Nah, I think it was 'Special Thanks" or something minor like that.

Oh, okay. What I meant was, I doubt very much that this would be the "major" project that Iga and his team are working on. The Rebirth series is pretty much what M2 does, and outside of maybe being a general supervisor on this project, it's very unlikely that Iga is actually working on this in a big way.

That's good because I hat Iga, and he should be forced to make nothing but Nanobreaker sequels forever! :eek:

CiSTM

Banned
Konami has been on fire with these Rebirth games, first Contra and now this. Give me Rocket Knight Rebirth and I can die as a happy man.

Funny because I was talking with someone yesterday about how likely a Castlevania Rebirth would be, its good to be right :D

Can't wait. At last, a new old CV style game :D

BTW, for those out of the loop, Life Force Rebirth is coming too (It's got its Japanese trademark)

Foffy

Banned
The Adventure ReBirth? Christopher Belmont is back? :D

I bet it uses the mechanics that the Game Boy line of games did, with rope climbing.

Fuck yeah, I'm stoked.

Rlan

Frencherman said:
Yeah, for Wii-Gamer Konami is the new capcom. Briefly unbelievable after such a shitty start...

Konami was doing pretty shit stuff for the first few years. Horrible Backbone ports of old games, and then on the Xbox Live Arcade they got a company called Voltex Inc to make 3 shit tastic games - Frogger 2, Beat'n Groovy and Coffeetime Crosswords.

It's quite funny to see how the different regions work with digital download. Almost all of the Xbox Live Arcade material is solely based in the American branch of companies doing something, while all things WiiWare tends to be strictly done by Japanese development studios.

Scrubking said:
Excellent News! I just hope they don't get rid of the exploration/adventure aspect.
Psssh. ReBirth means classic level based Castlevania, and that's the way it should be. There's no shortage of Metroidvanias elsewhere if you so desire.

Dascu

CiSTM said:
Konami has been on fire with these Rebirth games, first Contra and now this. Give me Rocket Knight Rebirth and I can die as a happy man.
Might happen. A new RKA is supposedly* in the works for Wii/PSP by Climax (the studio working on Silent Hill).

*According to a German site who mentioned it in a Silent Hill preview.

Dascu said:
Might happen. A new RKA is supposedly* in the works for Wii/PSP by Climax (the studio working on Silent Hill).

Oh God, don't play tiddlywinks with my heart. It isn't fair.

duckroll

Dascu said:

*vomit*

Aru

Dascu said:

Oh man I would die for RKA rebirth :D

Flakster99

Frencherman said:
Yeah, for Wii-Gamer Konami is the new capcom. Briefly unbelievable after such a shitty start...

Yup.

This absolutely puts a smile on my face. Let us pray and hope collectively this installment is made of fun, quality stuff. :)

Top Bottom