• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalyst 4.8s out (instancing ahoy!)

Release Notes

something I thought was intersiting (considering the use of "grass" in newer games)

Geometry Instancing

This release of CATALYST introduces the support of Geometry Instancing. This new feature provides assistance when a game has to render many objects where the geometry is highly similar. Geometry Instancing allows the VPU to create multiple objects from a single geometric model, rather than passing an entire new model for each item on the screen. This increases the rendering speed of images such as leaves, or grass.

Download

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I've been using these for a few days now and they seem pretty stable. I'm wondering if they implemented the OpenGL changes found in the 4.9 beta drivers, namely the Doom 3 speed enhancements. I went from the 4.9b drivers to the 4.8 and my timedemo score is about the same, if not a little better in Doom 3.

teiresias

A game has to be coded to use instancing though in order to take advantage of the capability. I believe the only game that does that at the moment is FarCry with some patch applied.

marsomega

tedtropy said:
I've been using these for a few days now and they seem pretty stable. I'm wondering if they implemented the OpenGL changes found in the 4.9 beta drivers, namely the Doom 3 speed enhancements. I went from the 4.9b drivers to the 4.8 and my timedemo score is about the same, if not a little better in Doom 3.

I actually got a very nice performance booast on my 9700 PRO.

Top Bottom