• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Catherine: Full Body' Transcript Leaks Regarding Alleged Controversial Ending *Spoilers*

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
catherinefullbodycrop-1133933.jpeg

A controversial ending has been leaked regarding Atlus Catherine: Full Body that apparently shows a very transphobic scenario regarding the game's protagonist. The original leak painted a very ugly picture for the game's narrative, though the scene itself has emerged with a new video that seems to point that there was some seriously "lost in translation" information being exchanged.

Don't get me wrong, the entire game of Catherine is perverse and downright weird. There are themes that border on seriously messed up, as per the game's intention, but the viral transphobia being reported potentially could have been taken out of context.
An anonymous source reached out with an official transcript of the scene in question which reflects what's seen in the video above.

For the transcript itself:
Follow the link
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/02/16/catherine-full-body-transphobic-leak-scene-video/

Era is going ape shit about this.

Me? Well I preordered the Collectors Edition.

Go back in time and stop the transition if old

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I also pre-ordered Collectors Edition and proud of it. I hope both Atlus JP and Atlus USA don't cave in to this BS.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

I try to understand but this doesnt make any sense?
What exactly was transphobic?
He was in shock by learning he was about to get laid with a transgender/crossdresser, so when Erica tried to reach out to him he slapped the hand away. You refusing to hop in bed no questions asked is transphobic.
And then there's a misintepretation of the ending, basically they jumped to conclusions and made the leap that "go back in time to make life better for everyone = Erica hasn't started transitioning yet = it's better for transsexuals to stay men or women"

Last edited:

kunonabi

I try to understand but this doesnt make any sense?
What exactly was transphobic?

The original post about the ending claimed that the ending was showing a more perfect world for everyone and indicated that Eric would be happier as a gay man instead of a transgender.

This isnt at all supported by the writing but once these people jump to outrage they never walk it back. They are now claiming that the game is hurtful for Eric because the ending indicates that he transitioned later in life and thus had to experience the pain of being trapped in the "wrong" body for longer.

kingbean

You mean to tell me people are over-reacting on Era over a perceived slight?

Never would have guessed.

I wonder what it's like living in such a pissed off, stressed out state all the time. Life must be miserable when you look for everything to be offensive.

Brizzady

Banned
I wasn't interested in this, but if the dumbshits at ERA are mad about it, I definitely need to give this publisher my money.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
very transphobic scenario

What‘s the problem? Other than perhaps a small group of people being faced with the fact that not everyone approves of their lifestyle.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What‘s the problem? Other than perhaps a small group of people being faced with the fact that not everyone approves of their lifestyle.
Sorry I forgot the quote tags, those are not my words lol

Some manner of LGBT controversy around Catherine: Full Body was near unavoidable. There was a preexisting crowd waiting to be offended, and even if these people found the game's new material acceptable, content from the original release would still have been deemed problematic.

While I don't foresee ATLUS changing the game's core content for the international market, the six month wait until the game's Western release is ample time for the localization team to make certain material more palatable for the angry progressive villagers. Hopefully SEGA/ATLUS will stand by its product and not make any artificial story alterations to placate specific individuals, but outside any statements to this effect from the developer, I'll probably wait until post-release reports start hitting the web, before deciding on a purchase.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

ERA is in full pitchfork mode. God, this 'let's tweet the shit out of things we don't agree on' mentality on such trivial matters is getting on my nerves.

I also find it funny that some people expect fictional characters to be portrayed as if they have no problem with homosexuality and transgenderism altogether. Because you know, in real life there aren't any of those people. Apparently fictional characters aren't allowed to be portrayed as if they dislike homosexuals unless they must be portrayed as completely unlikable to the player.

Because you know, anyone who is repulsed by homosexuality is a horrible person and must be prosecuted and driven out.

The good news is, so far the Ree Effect is mostly the same as the Streisand Effect.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has sold over 2 million copies.

I expect Cyberpunk 2077 to sell well regardless because it's from the studio that made The Witcher.

So going by previous "controversial" games on Ree, I expect that Catherine: Full Body will also gain a sales benefit from their manufactured controversy. If I didn't know better, I would think that Atlus came up with this controversy themselves and used Ree to promote the game because the Ree Effect increases game sales, not decreases them.

Fake

'I NEVER GOING TO BUY ATLUS GAMES AGAIN', 'ATLUS IS S@#$', 'LETS BOYCOT ATLUS', 'please Atlus release Persona 5 for Nintendo Switch'.

Nickolaidas

The good news is, so far the Ree Effect is mostly the same as the Streisand Effect.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has sold over 2 million copies.

I expect Cyberpunk 2077 to sell well regardless because it's from the studio that made The Witcher.

So going by previous "controversial" games on Ree, I expect that Catherine: Full Body will also gain a sales benefit from their manufactured controversy. If I didn't know better, I would think that Atlus came up with this controversy themselves and used Ree to promote the game because the Ree Effect increases game sales, not decreases them.

The good news is that most folk are reasonable - they don't boycott games or hardware, especially not over stupid crap like one tweet or two.

I doubt that the PS3 didn't originally succeed because Sony said "get a second job" - it was more expensive than the X360 and it came later. That's all there is to it, imo.

Same with the X1 - it was more expensive. The average gamer probably had no idea about the 'always online' fiasco, and even if he knew, the average gamer wouldn't give a fuck. Even Sony admitted that they didn't know why the PS4 sold so well ("we do not know who is buying the PS4 right now".

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Now understand why western developers are getting scared of putting sexy design in their games. One misunderstanding suddenly turn in to witch hunt and demanding creator's head.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I had read into this earlier... I deduce it is not in any way plausible to assume ATLUS intentionally designed the ending to imply such drivel.

Stay strong y'all.

Isa

I'm looking forward to playing through this with my lady. I went and pre-ordered the Premium Edition for the artbook and plushy haha! I'm all for artistic integrity, and frankly the truth that not everyone in the world thinks and believes in the same things. I greatly dislike thought police and think the "outrage" is ridiculous but its whatever. I've dated a tgirl before and work with a Filipino guy who loves to cross-dress and trap stuff. He's got the hots for dudes with long hair ala me, but I'm faithful to my girl. Still we both know and talk about how people can react in so many ways. Are they "wrong"? Who's to say. I personally feel its wrong for any group or person to tell another how and what to think, feel or believe.

I am looking forward to exploring the story with Rin (I love Futa what can I say), and can understand both Vincent's and Toby's reactions haha. Katherine is still muh main doh. Like me and my gal IRL. Also Sadayo Kawakami in Persona 5 jiji.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Their resistance to stepping back from the hysteria when it becomes obvious that they've gotten it wrong/overreacted is the essence of "bad faith" argument.

It shows unequivocally its actually not about any "cause", its about their pitiful egotism.

Last edited:
How miserable do you have to be to just sit around all day and look for things to be offended about? They want everything in the world to conform to their ideologies and perspectives. It’s seriously ruining everything now and getting beyond annoying. Worst part is, so many companies bend over backwards to please them while they don’t even support your game anyway. I hope the creators of Catherine leave everything intact. Screw them.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

He was in shock by learning he was about to get laid with a transgender/crossdresser, so when Erica tried to reach out to him he slapped the hand away. You refusing to hop in bed no questions asked is transphobic.
By that logic, pretty much everyone on planet Earth is transphobic

McCheese

From what little information is actually out there on the ending, it appears they just reversed the sex change as a reflection of it being an 'alternative universe' of sorts where that character is not trans. I guess the argument is 'well why is that the good ending?'.

Atlus should just play them at their own game and be offended that a gender fluid character isn't being respected for his/her/xir choice of gender that morning.

Breakage

Some people are very offended, and the developers will no doubt cave in and “correct” things. It's just another example of the purity tests modern creators are increasingly being subjected to. You even have Team Ninja caving in. I don't understand why these game companies can't bring themselves to say fuck it this is our creative vision. It's this sort of bs that will help to prevent the type of experimental games that existed in bygone eras from ever emerging.

Hexa

I really hope Atlas USA doesn't make random changes in response to this backlash. I also hope Atlas JP doesn't end up getting scared by it and abandoning any plans they may have had for future Golden Playhouse games if they had any.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The controversy dont care to me... i have a mind open and actually i respect the sexual opinion of everyone.

I have a great dilemma. I cannot Buy the limited edition usa at least in September., not so much economic, but for work.

I need a suggestion, I can buy the Japanese limited edition right now and later the standard usa or wait until October to buy the USA limited edition in ebay or lucky in other store with the edition, but with the doubt and risk that this edition will be sold out for this month.

From experience, I do not want it to happen to me like in the edition of Persona 5.

So, suggestions friends?

Javthusiast

Banned
^
^
Sjw mobs on twitter can ruin peoples lifes in the court of public opinion.

Era with their loud minority does the same.

Last edited:
Welp. A new megathread has been set up to out man in question. I guess he can kiss his career goodbye. This is a serious issue for me as a person who hoped to get into the industry. It only takes one person to interpret my creative vision as something phobic in my title and then it's over. You get your own thread and the way it spirals, due to peer pressure, you tend to see your career hit rock bottom pretty fast.

Sygma

^
^
Sjw mobs on twitter can ruin peoples lifes in the court of public opinion.

Era with their loud minority does the same.

if its truly a translation issue it tells more about the people being outraged than the other side

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Because Era, while a minority of all gamers, is vocal and extremist. They need to be called out when they get all crazy because otherwise, it will go unchallenged.

It does not help when you have people like Patrick Klepek and Jason Schreier openly supporting and pushing Era into prominence. Probably because the site strokes their egos so bloody much.

Achelexus

I really hope Atlas USA doesn't make random changes in response to this backlash. I also hope Atlas JP doesn't end up getting scared by it and abandoning any plans they may have had for future Golden Playhouse games if they had any.

Hoping they don't pull a Nintendo on this one.

decisions

I really hate how I had this ending spoiled because of alleged transphobia that wasn't even really there. ERA sucks.

Also, lol at the thread on Hashino that was started there because of this thread about Catherine. "Yosuke is a dangerous character because he asks his male friend which girl he finds cuter!!! The horror!"

Lastly, I agree ERA needs to be called out because they are obsessed with doing everything they can to get their ideas into gaming, regardless of how small they are. They are certainly losing users though. The "A moment ago" threads used to stretch almost down the whole first page, now it's a rarity that it gets halfway. After all, I know I deleted my account because I did not feel good supporting their practices.

Top Bottom