• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story & 1001 Spikes coming to the Nintendo Switch (+ another look at UI)

Dystify

Devkits seem to have black Joycon indeed. The pic was likely removed because they showed the UI. Showing the system itself is not forbidden apparently.

C2jeYe5XAAAsd7A.jpg

Should I make a thread with this info to try and clear up a lot of the misconceptions about the UI and the "app"? Not sure if it's good practice to make a thread based on website info that's been public for days.

There's a lot of discussion to be had, go for it. I've not seen anyone highlight this.

Atheerios

I think it could also be the main social aspect of Switch. Like I don't know what it's called on PS4 and stuff but basically screenshots, videos and other updates from your friend. Also news from Nintendo.

Just enter any Nintendo website and click on your Mii. Probably the notifications will be exactly those ones.

Should I make a thread with this info to try and clear up a lot of the misconceptions about the UI and the "app"? Not sure if it's good practice to make a thread based on website info that's been public for days.

Don't jump the gun on this UI, I didn't see everything you've posted in this thread but understand that the black UI + black Switch is most likely for dev purposes. To be able to see that it's a dev unit at a glance, even if somebody repaints the system or something.

Interfectum

I've said from the beginning any indie game that is on a multiplatform engine will be ported to Switch almost immediately. I expect a relative shit ton of indie titles on this system by fall.

sonto340

Okay, seriously now - with all we now with those 2 screens floating around, it makes no sense for the system to have 'change user' on there so prominently when the top left shows only one user!

user-interface-2w4s3t.jpg

This is what the other screen looks like. We have 3 users in the top left. What are those 3 users, if not available accounts on one console? Connected accounts through local play? Your party for online play?
Those are probably the three accounts signed in on the console. Someone could press change user to just sign themselves out I guess.
No one except Nintendo and developers knownfor now I guess

Don't jump the gun on this UI, I didn't see everything you've posted in this thread but understand that the black UI + black Switch is most likely for dev purposes. To be able to see that it's a dev unit at a glance, even if somebody repaints the system or something.

He's talking about the checklist on Nintendo's site that says you can interact with friends without a subscription, something we've assumed is tied to the app. This implies you can view your friends without the app.

Atheerios

Likely a developer UI, so that it's easy to tell at a glance that it's a dev system.

Likely why the pic was removed.

Save data is stored in the console. Likely to save money on cartridges, not needing to have storage on each of them and causing issues for games with large save files etc.

Wait... Was it confirmed that saves are stored on the system?

emb

Devkits seem to have black Joycon indeed. The pic was likely removed because they showed the UI. Showing the system itself is not forbidden apparently.
I bet they're planning to detail all the OS features in a Direct, like a week before launch, where the main focus is to sell people on their online service.

Great. I really want to see other games from them though, specifically games that haven't yet reached Nintendo hardware, such as Castle in the Darkness. This gives me some hope though.

Switch can be a great indie console if they market it right and court indie developers.

Blues1990

Looking good. I haven't played any of the indie games that are shown here, so I guess this is a good incentive to try them out when they're (eventually) released in the NS.

And, like others have mentioned, I do hope we get more concrete details about the Switch's UI & features.

majik13

It's in the OP? Or am I misunderstanding you.

mmm, not for me it isn't, only the twitter link is there.

I did see it in the other UI thread, but it was odd. It appeared in a quoted comment, but the original comment didn't have a picture.

Edit: Weird, quoting the OP, I do see an image link and tag there. And the link works, but yeah doesnt display for me in the OP though.

Correct. But what does this have to with user switching being a game changer? The Wii U offered multiple user accounts from day one.
If you can add an account set to A DIFFETENT REGION you can now viably access other digital releases from other countries. Just like PSN or Xbox.

L.O.R.D

Correct. But what does this have to with user switching being a game changer? The Wii U offered multiple user accounts from day one.

maybe because the WiiU is not region free?
we still need more info from nintendo about that,the PS3-4 you can use multiple account from many regions,the Vita you can but you have to reset the device it self.

deleted

C2jeYe5XAAAsd7A.jpg

Nice, I didn't see there was Minecraft in a playable state already. Do we know which version of Minecraft is coming to the system?

There's mobile/Vita,PS3/360/WiiU and PS4/X1 and PC, right?

If you can add an account set to A DIFFETENT REGION you can now viably access other digital releases from other countries. Just like PSN or Xbox.

Not necessarily. They could still implement a limit on active eShop regions on a console.I hope we can access whatever store we want, but I guess we'll have to wait and see
and prepare for the worst.

Whoa, wait a second.

c056A0K.png

It shows a user icon and says "playing" right on the game tile?

I wonder if it will show friends' icons when they're online playing other games. Maybe it'll say "3 playing" etc.

I like that feature on XB1 quite a bit. Would be pretty cool. Dark theme is the best.

bomblord1

Banned
*raises hand*

Why do switch dev kits look almost exactly like the switch itself? Aren't devkits usually super bulky and look nothing like the final hardware?

Dystify

*raises hand*

Why do switch dev kits look almost exactly like the switch itself? Aren't devkits usually super bulky and look nothing like the final hardware?

I guess it's cause there are usually multiple devkits. The earliest tend to look nothing like the final system, but later devkits may look more similar. Don't quote me on this though.

Hopefully that dark theme means we get real themes or custom themes. Same with game picture. I dont want my picture being a Mii or Mario.

There has to be user stats as well, other than play time so maybe progress in a game or some sort of stickers achievement thing

cireza

Banned
If this is the original pixel-art Cave Story game, I will definitely rebuy it (unless I can carry over my 3DS version of the game).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The dark UI is looking cool.

Interesting that pressing home brings up the main menu (with additional/different options), not a special menu like on Wii U.

I wonder how the change user works, interesting that's associated with a face button too.

And the current user is shown as playing 1001 Spikes.

Could it have some kind of save states and you can switch between games and user quickly?

Top Bottom