• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story 3DS |OT| Definitive version, for those of us who have never played it

Well for anyone who was interested and wanted it for a cheaper price I just added it to my post in the Buy Sell Trade thread. It's a nice game and all but it's just not my cup of tea. I'm a really picky gamer.

I still haven't beat this game, got to the section where you go through the Egg Corridor the second time and it pissed me off enough that I stopped playing. You can't exactly just sprint through the corridor, and it's pretty damn long. Having to restart every time you lose against the dragons or get killed further along the corridor is really frustrating, there really should have been a save point halfway through, preferably right before the dragons but after would have been appreciated too and the game could have kept its sadistic appeal.

That was a couple months ago and I just never got back to it. I was looking through my 3DS games the other day and I had pretty much forgotten I even owned it. I'm going to make another attempt at a playthrough this weekend.

I'm surprised to see that most people don't like the graphics, I think they look pretty damn good. The original still looks great, but if the game was going to be re-imagined with backgrounds it's a damn good job.

john tv

Does it have the 2D version on the ROM as an unlockable or anything?

Which one is Cave Story+? Is that the WiiWare ver?

TaroYamada

I still haven't beat this game, got to the section where you go through the Egg Corridor the second time and it pissed me off enough that I stopped playing. You can't exactly just sprint through the corridor, and it's pretty damn long. Having to restart every time you lose against the dragons or get killed further along the corridor is really frustrating, there really should have been a save point halfway through, preferably right before the dragons but after would have been appreciated too and the game could have kept its sadistic appeal.

That part is really easy once you figure out their pattern, or alternative idea, quit letting them spawn. If you don't take the missile pick up they don't spawn and you can keep going.

I'd say the definitive version for those that haven't played it would be Cave Story +.

You'd be correct, it also has the positive of giving Pixel some money for one of the best games ever.

Does it have the 2D version on the ROM as an unlockable or anything?
As far as I'm aware, no.

That part is really easy once you figure out their pattern, or alternative idea, quit letting them spawn. If you don't take the missile pick up they don't spawn and you can keep going.

Yeah, the dragons aren't extremely hard or anything, but the corridor is just a long section with no save point where a couple small mistakes can get you killed.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It was hard to decide between this version, DSiWare or WiiWare -- but I ended up with the DSiWare version.

Am I missing out anything vital? I kinda just wanted it for a handheld, easier to play I feel.

Berordn

I thought CS+ had the remade textures and sprite work of the WiiWare release.

It does, and it includes the soundtrack from the 3DS version and the Wii version. All of that can be turned on and off though. It's also got all the extra content from the Wii version, and an extra new dungeon at the end. It's pretty much the definitive version, since the 3DS version doesn't have the rest of the 2D assets anywhere.

Sagitario

It does, and it includes the soundtrack from the 3DS version and the Wii version. All of that can be turned on and off though. It's also got all the extra content from the Wii version, and an extra new dungeon at the end. It's pretty much the definitive version, since the 3DS version doesn't have the rest of the 2D assets anywhere.

Got it. Thanks.
Don't get jgkspsx rating then :p

I wasn't sure if I should get the 3DS version to show support.
I have it on WiiWare and Steam, so I guess I will play the Steam version.

jgkspsx

What I was trying to say was that Cave Story+ has more content than the WiiWare version: the new soundtrack (also used in 3D) and the Wind Fortress. It's not a simple port. People (like john tv) tend to assume that the WiiWare version has everything that's in CS+, which isn't true.

I guess a more accurate ordering would have been:
Original = DSiWare > 3D >> WiiWare > Cave Story+
Happy? ;P

I do like CS3D, but I would only recommend it for hardcore fans, specifically those who aren't too attached to the pixel art.

Bought it and played it. My first playthrough of Cave Story was 5 years ago, and this time
I got the Snake Gun, saved Curly (yeah) and got the Nemesis Gun and the Prinny Cap
. And boy
the Last Cave (hidden) is kicking my arse. We're talking about Super Meat Boy-levels of arse-kicking

The 3D graphics are kinda hit-and-miss : you kind of get used to it, but there are several instances where it's kind of bad (when there are elements in the foreground).
I wish this version had the original 2D graphics included though.

Can't beat the final boss
the Core, just after Misery and the doctor...the little annoyinh snake-like bullet casted are annoying and keep on killing me...any tips ? :)

vipermk2

Neo Member
I am currently playing Cave Story+. I really liked this version plus the many options it has. But I really really need some help with the final boss with Ballos

So heres the nitty gritty details:

So I have the Machine Gun and the Nemesis but I dont know if I should start over and get the upgrade for the Spur. Watching the youtube vids, people are taking down the second phase of Ballos with ease with the Spur and there is my problem. I am getting stuck with the Second Phase. One of the first attacks I did was use the Nemesis up close but when he jumps you get hit by the green bats and if you hit the bats, they will give out yellow shards and cause the Nemesis to downgrade.
The best result I got from the Second phase was to use the Super Missile Launcher up close and knock half of his health in the first few seconds.
The furthest I got was in his Final form. But after that, its been gameplay hell and I never got that far before.

I havent even mentioned that final cave. Theres day when I get a good run barely getting hit once or twice in the second section where the bricks are falling down on you. And I am in good health with Ballos. And now I am stuck in gameplay hell where I now cant even get to the boss section.

I have spent hours trying to beat this guy I lost count how many times I have died. I feel exhausted playing the same level and boss over and over again.

So heres the plan: Do I create a new file and start fresh new state getting the Spur? Or continue grinding my current state with the Machine Gun and Nemesis?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Sorry for the Bump, I am playing through Cave Story 3D version to clear my backlog (2015 NYR and all that), and so far I am really enjoying it - despite one gripe , or maybe it is just me?*

with regards to the eshop version or the 3D version which is seen as the definite?
I do have this on the Wii as well and I need to transfer it across to my Wii-U.(if it's already been answered then I am sorry my google-fu failed me )

*my only gripe is I feel the head room when jumping on up platforms is too constricted and it feels like my character is bumping their head on the scenery , I am sure that the Wiiware version did not do this, I dunno maybe it is just me, but it had caused me some frustration.

in the past it put me off playing which is a shame as having picked up the game I am determined to finish it.

So... I found that Gamestop is selling this for $20 used online. Should I bite? I've played it a bunch and own CS+ on the 3DS eshop. Are the visuals good throughout? Many have complained, but I think they look alright and seem to add depth to a world that was previously flat to me.

Do you think that I'd be getting the box as well if I ordered it from Gamestop? Is there any way of knowing? I'd like to own the full physical copy. If possible.

So... I found that Gamestop is selling this for $20 used online. Should I bite? I've played it a bunch and own CS+ on the 3DS eshop. Are the visuals good throughout? Many have complained, but I think they look alright and seem to add depth to a world that was previously flat to me.

Do you think that I'd be getting the box as well if I ordered it from Gamestop? Is there any way of knowing? I'd like to own the full physical copy. If possible.

A lot of people were saying that Gamestop somehow was able to get this game reprinted, so there's somewhat of a chance that you'll get the box. What you almost definitely won't get is the slip cover that originally came with the game. It was almost impossible to find before the alleged reprint, but now almost every single one of my local Gamestop have a copy. It's just that none of them have the slip cover, which is what most collectors want.

I don't care about the slip cover, I'd be content with the box and game. For $20 that doesn't sound too bad considering I've seen it for sale on Amazon for $150+.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I bought this game last week (PC) and finally beat the final boss. It was ninja gaiden 1 all over again with the final boss. The 2nd area in hell gave me the hardest time till i realized the cherubs do not spawn infinetly. Killing them and moving on made dodging the rocks a lot easier.

Top Bottom