• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story 3DS |OT| Definitive version, for those of us who have never played it

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
cave_story_3ds_box.jpg
tumblr_lnmjrsG3YV1qzp9weo1_400.gif

Useful Links
Gameplay Video
Official site

Release dates
NA: 11/08 - 40$
EU: 11/11 - 40€
AU: 11/24 - 45$

Overview
Cave Story 3D is a side scrolling action adventure game inspired by the fan-favorite 2D original. Now in a full 3D world, Cave Story takes the proven 2D action, exploration into stereoscopic awesomeness. You wake up in a cave with no idea who you are or where you came from, but you know you must help a cute race of rabbit-like creatures beat up some crusty old doctor.

As you advance through the game, you’ll learn the origin of the Mimiga world and even your own. Like the critically acclaimed Pixel masterpiece, Cave Story 3D is a combination of high-speed shooting action scenes with heavy emphasis on platforming, exploration, light puzzle solving as well as a deep storyline.

Cave Story 3D embodies the unmistakable Cave Story feel in a new 3 dimensional form. The legendary game mechanics are now combined with cutting edge graphics, remixed soundtracks, and additional contents to give new life.

Additions from previous versions:
* Graphics fully redone, an ode to 3D
* Remastered music
* Many areas have been revised/expanded to contain new or altered sections, and there are some new sections based on ideas that appeared in the original betas but not the final release (including secret areas). All the life capsules have been tweaked to increase your life capacity by a unique amount (100 total, up from 55), and they've added 40 new ones in addition to changing the locations of some of the old ones. There's also some new items, including a Prinny Cap.

Reviews
New - review from 1up: B+
It's still the same great, challenging masterpiece, only now it's seen a few minor tweaks. Seeing those hard-edged pixels swapped for chunky polygons makes a strictly cosmetic difference. [...]
The new graphics could have been disastrous; 2D games often suffer when taken into the third dimension thanks to the changes in physics and fuzzy collision detection that usually come along with such a move. Cave Story 3D avoids the first pitfall by retaining its original feel and physics -- it plays exactly like the original game -- and the second by making use of the system's 3D capabilities. The biggest problem with 2D platformers modeled in polygons is judging depth and edges. The use of true 3D -- while a bit eye-straining at times -- overcomes this challenge by utterly removing any ambiguity about your character's spatial position relative to the rest of the game world and its denizens. Unlike nearly every other "2.5D" game I've played (even ones I love, like Mega Man Powered Up), Cave Story 3D's action never suffers for the move to polygons.

Gameblog.fr 5/5
Cave Story on 3DS is a succes from a technical point of view (3D works perfectly here), while retaining what made the original version a success. . Perfect controls, inspired gameplay and level-design, catchy music and clever scenario: nothing here can disappoint fans oof good old school action and platform games. A gem, without any default, built with passion. Go buy it, asap.

Goodgadgetbadgadget.com 4.5/5
Cave Story has been a gem to play ever since it was initially released, and the upgraded graphics and visuals only heighten that feeling. Like all 3DS titles though, there are times that you’ll be irritated at the 3D, but that doesn’t detract anything from the wonder of the game.

Geekrevolt.com 5/5
Cave Story 3D is the best version of Daisuke Amaya’s 2004 masterpiece—period. Yet, it’s not a necessary purchase if you’ve beaten the original 1,345,643 times (or less). For everyone that’s taken a trip down this glorious cave before, you might want to sit this one out until the price comes down. But if you’ve never played the original just skip it (I know that sounds like blasphemy), and pick this one up, it’s one of the best 3DS games of 2011.

Gamertell.com Two thumbs up, 97/100, A, * * * * 1/2 out of 5
Cave Story is perfect for any person who’s ever loved an game like Castlevania, Metroid, Mega Man or even Super Mario. Despite originally being an independent, freeware endeavor, it managed to be one of the most polished and detailed platformers ever made. Now, with Cave Story 3D, it has a gorgeous 2.5D presentation, phenomenal sound and chance to reach the audience it deserves. Cave Story 3D is more of an experience than a game, and one that players will remember long after it’s done. If you own a 3DS, put Cave Story 3D on your wish list.

Nintendolife.com 9/10
Cave Story has always been an extremely charming and engaging experience, but never before has the game come alive with the type of depth and realism that the 3D visuals and lighting effects provide. When you couple all of this together with the classic high-quality platforming and shooting action of the original, not to mention an amazing remixed soundtrack, you end up with what has to be one of the most impressive video game remakes we've seen in recent years and a title you absolutely should not miss.

Justpushstart.com 4,5/5
Cave Story 3D brings a classic game to Nintendo’s 3D portable device. While it doesn’t do too much to differ itself from previous iterations, it is still a highly enjoyable game. The graphical update and inclusion of 3D makes the entire experience visually thrilling. However, the graphical update is but a side-note when compared to the extremely addictive gameplay, especially for those who haven’t taken the time to try Cave Story. And did I mention that Super Meat Boy’s Danny B. updated the soundtrack? Yeah, he totally did and it rocks. Newcomers should see no issue with the price, but current fans may want to hold off until the game drops in price if they’d like to enjoy this 3D experience on-the-go.

It doesn't look half bad in that linked video - the environments look good and have a lot of depth to them.

Salih said:
is that a scan from a screenshot?
It looks like it's a frame from the video.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I can't justify buying it again and I still don't like how the background look, but I'm glad to hear it's getting good reviews and hopefully as a cartridge people will buy it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What makes this the definitive version? From what I've seen I prefer the Wii version which includes the original graphics and music as well as enhanced somewhat higher resolution sprites and tiles and remixed music. And if you don't like the new music you can even play with the new graphics and the old music or whatever combination. And it's so much cheaper even if you get the DLC. Shame they didn't make a sequel/successor thingie instead, it makes Nicalis look bad that they sell the same game over and over, imo. The new graphics in many cases didn't translate the 2D charm, as evident in some of the trailers that made comparisons of specific scenes...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So it looks good in person ? Because those screens made it look like garbage.
Holiday Season is packed, but i*ll eventually pick it up later for cheap. Never played it and they still havent reöeased the DSiWare version here.

I could get it on Wii, but i rather have it on my portable. If they were smart this could have been a premium eShop title for 15€.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
All reviews say it looks great in person, a reviewer said it's even the best use of 3D on the system so far :)

Yuripaw

Banned
I've had this preordered for weeks now since I got my 3DS. I originally played this on Wiiware and fell in love with the game. Later learning that it was originally all made by 1 guy just amazed me. I get so tired of people saying "well you can get this game for free for years now, why would you pay money for it, blah blah"...I'll gladly pay money for it, for the same reason a lot of people don't like to pirate video games. It is worth paying money for, and the developer deserves to earn money for it.

fernoca

Nice, so looking forward to this.

Thought that hat pic was a an animated gif and was waiting for it to move....but never did. :(

Fou-Lu

Will buy when price is dropped. I only finished the Wii version once and didn't get the true ending, so that will be my goal on this one.

If it wasn't good, which is what I initially thought, I would definitely not buy the game and understand free version recommendations.

But, why should you not experience the best version just because it costs money?

It is not as if it is just your average throw away game.

I would say you people live on charity money of I didn't know for better...

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Alextended said:
What makes this the definitive version? From what I've seen I prefer the Wii version which includes the original graphics and music as well as enhanced somewhat higher resolution sprites and tiles and remixed music. And if you don't like the new music you can even play with the new graphics and the old music or whatever combination. And it's so much cheaper even if you get the DLC. Shame they didn't make a sequel/successor thingie instead, it makes Nicalis look bad that they sell the same game over and over, imo. The new graphics in many cases didn't translate the 2D charm, as evident in some of the trailers that made comparisons of specific scenes...

This has been my concern. I haven't read any reviews yet, but I hope they all spend an adequate amount of time comparing it to the DSiware and Wiiware versions.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
cw_sasuke said:
So it looks good in person ? Because those screens made it look like garbage.
Holiday Season is packed, but i*ll eventually pick it up later for cheap. Never played it and they still havent reöeased the DSiWare version here.

I could get it on Wii, but i rather have it on my portable. If they were smart this could have been a premium eShop title for 15€.
You're in for a treat. The DSiWare version has alway been the definitive for me, but will buy this one as well, just because the game deserves it.

fernoca said:
And lenticular cover! :)
Will never make it to PAL land :[

nincompoop said:
How is the version with the worst graphics and lowest framerate the definitive version?
So where did you read that it has a low framerate? You're the second person who'se said that, I have yet to see that mentioned in a review. And all the reviews love the graphics, say they have amazing lighting and a lot of detail.

I'm surprised that the game turned out looking good. I remember when it was first revealed, the screenshots weren't very good looking.

Nice how much it improved. I don't know if I'll get it myself (while I think it's great, I'm not a huge fan of the original game), but I'll definitely recommend it to some of my friends.

Kazerei

Banned
I haven't played Cave Story yet, so I'm very interested. But $40 still seems too steep :\ I think I'll take my chances and wait for the price to fall.

Top Bottom