• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story coming to Switch [June, $30, new local MP mode, new bonus stages]

LordKano

http://nintendoeverything.com/cave-story-launching-on-switch-in-june/

F1hILe6.jpg

A couple of months ago, Nicalis’ Tyrone Rodriguez shared an image of Switch’s Home Menu. It depicted the icons of a few games: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+, 1001 Spikes, Hydra, and Cave Story. We pretty much knew that last game was happening, but now it’s been made official.

Cave Story is coming to Switch as Cave Story+. Like The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+, it will have a physical release.

Along with upgraded HD graphics, the game will have seven play modes such as Wind Fortress and Boss Rush, more than twenty boss battles, fifteen levels, ten unique weapons, and four unique endings.

Switch is getting Cave Story+ on June 20. Pricing is set at $29.99.

So apparently the Switch version is going to have new content and will have coop multiplayer patched in according to this video from like a month ago. Saw this on reddit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=10m7s&v=uauqF_YSbFk&feature=youtu.be

From the video :
- They remade some part of the visuals. Water has physics, for example.
- It will have original, remastered and CS3D soundtracks.
- New bonus stages added, tied to the story.
- Local multiplayer will be patched in by the end of summer, exclusive to this version it seems. The 2nd player is Curly.

hawk2025

Nicalis potenially found a good niche on the Switch with premium physical edition.

Will buy this, and will buy 1001 Spikes as well if it gets a physical release with bonuses like Isaac.

LordKano

Honestly, I want pretty much any future game I play to be on Switch, but if the prices continue to be so much higher than on other platforms, it's going to be a tough sell for me. I'd drop $20 on Binding of Isaac in a heartbeat, but $40 is too steep. Same situation for this game, especially when I own it on two other platforms already.

They probably wouldn't make physical release if they had to price them for 15-20$. It wouldn't be worth it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
$30? That's quite a lot to ask for cave story, most of the time I really would like them to go digital only with small (filesize) indie games like this to keep the costs down.

There's some screens in the post, and they're using the same updated visuals from the Wii version. Though they could just be placeholders, they're also in widescreen, which I don't recall the original Nicalis release having. Is that all it is? Because I wouldn't be against rebuying it if the art really is redone (hand-drawn would be pretty cool), but if widescreen is the only real addition, then I'm not so sure.

Zekes!

I'm in for the digital version when it goes on sale. I already bought the Wii version back then 'cause I played the shit outta the original free version when I was a teenager, so it's hard to wanna pay $35+ CAD for it

Protome

The seems really expensive.

At least it's using the good graphics and not the terrible 3DS graphics though.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Nicalis has been on a roll on Switch and continues to impress, despite their past mistakes.

If they keep this up, things will look a lot better for them I feel.

They also have Redout coming to Switch retail... soon. We've not heard anything about the game itself on Switch though. Though I'm not sure if that's on Nicalis or 34BigThings (the developer).

Peltz

There's some screens in the post, and they're using the same updated visuals from the Wii version. Though they could just be placeholders, they're also in widescreen, which I don't recall the original Nicalis release having. Is that all it is? Because I wouldn't be against rebuying it if the art really is redone (hand-drawn would be pretty cool), but if widescreen is the only real addition, then I'm not so sure.

3DS e-shop only release was the original visuals but also added widescreen support.

I'm definitely skipping this release. I already own it on 3DS and Wii so I'm good.

daxy

Honestly, I want pretty much any future game I play to be on Switch, but if the prices continue to be so much higher than on other platforms, it's going to be a tough sell for me. I'd drop $20 on Binding of Isaac in a heartbeat, but $40 is too steep. Same situation for this game, especially when I own it on two other platforms already.

Yeah, BoI was a tough sell for me. I played a nauseating amount of Rebirth on Vita through PS+. That game on a portable just dominated any spare moment I had. Ended up taking the hit to my wallet, but it was definitely worth it. BoI is such a perfect game for a portable.

LewieP

I bet it'll be $30 on the eShop, too.

Not a price I'd pay for Cave Story. I already bought it a bunch of times.

Ridley327

BoI had the numbers in its favor for why they charged $40, but I'm not really sure where the extra $15 is coming from here, even with a physical copy, assuming this is just a straight port of +.

Really nice cover art. I'm not into buying physical copies of games anymore but if I had a Switch I would probably get this because of that art and also because Cave Story was the first indie game I played, years ago.

Kureransu

http://store.steampowered.com/app/570660/
it's $36 on steam. but i can understand if you own the previous versions on other systems (afterbirth+ is only on PC and switch right now).

EDIT: That said. I don't know if it being an HD remaster + physical warrants doubling the price. I understand redoing all the art for the game requires resources, time and money, but it's still a 2011 release. I think $20 would be amazing and a steal, with $25 being fair.

jonno394

I'm buying whatever Nicalis release physically. Binding of Isaac Afterbirth is hard as nails but i'm loving it still.

Binding of Isaac with all DLC can't be had for $20 elsewhere digitally, so you're in dreamland with that buddy.

Didn't the 3DS one become kind of rare?

sorta. I mean its still within the realm of affordability on eBay, but that's only if its cart-only/open box. A copy of the game that is still sealed with the original slip cover that changes depending on the angle you view it at looks like its the one that's pricey now.

oh well so much for no switch games announced

for the better

for $30 they have no excuse not to have every gosh darn graphical and music option included that cave story has ever had.

This is a $15 game on steam and I think even less on the 3DS eshop for cave story+. And the original was free! Nicalis getting out of hand.

chronomac

I bet it'll be $30 on the eShop, too.

Not a price I'd pay for Cave Story. I already bought it a bunch of times.

Probably so, and the digital/physical parity needs to end. People who want the physical release will be willing to pay more. This should be $20/$30, digital/physical.

Top Bottom