• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story for WiiWare: (Finally) The Official Thread

28se53.png

Cave Story (WiiWare)
Release Date: March 22nd (NA)
Price: 1200 Wii Points
Developer: Nicalis (original game made solely by Pixel)
Genre: Metroidvania...ish

Nicalis Blog: http://nicalis.com/blog/

It's been a long wait, boys and girls! My Dōkutsu Monogatari bros! My Bronogataris! This is the thread for CAVE STORY for WiiWare!

cave-story-20100315050607707_640w.jpg

Q: What's Cave Story?
A: Cave Story was originally developed over a period of five years, and released for the PC in 2004 as a freeware title. It was made by one man: Daisuke Amaya, aka "Pixel." The title exploded in popularity and soon saw a translation into English.

Q: 2004? PC? Freeware? Then why should I buy it on Wii?
A: Silence whelp. Firstly, Cave Story is an amazing game. It has beautiful pixel-art graphics, amazing music, a great story, and yes, awesomely fun gameplay. And Pixel has never asked for a cent in return for the hours of entertainment he's given people.

However, if you're not the philanthropist type, and your mind is too sharp to be persuaded by deceitful "big comfy couch" arguments, then know this: Cave Story for WiiWare is no mere port.

With the help of development team Nicalis, the entire game has received:
-New graphics: 480p support, 60fps as opposed to the classic version's 50fps, graphics have been redrawn for twice the detail
-New music
-An official translation
-Multiple save slots
-Classic Controller support
-Difficulty modes (Easy, Normal, and Hard)
-5 new gameplay modes (Including Boss Rush and Sanctuary Time Attack)
-And MORE!

Q: Hey, I'm a different person than that last guy, and I played Cave Story on PC! What if I don't want different graphics or music, the old stuff was great!
A: Nicalis was wise enough to foresee your stubbornness. While playing Cave Story for WiiWare, you can actually switch out the graphics and music between old and new. Play with the new graphics and old music, old graphics and new music, or just go old all the way for the classic experience!

Q: Hmm... so where is the free PC version? I don't own a Wii and I want to join in the fun a bit (or I want to see what it's like before I jump in and purchase it).
A: I am no Scrooge, good sir or madam. Here is the link to the translated PC version: http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/downloads_1.php (Warning: other sections of this site contain spoilers)

Q: Wait, this game was announced like two years ago and has been delayed a ton. How do we know it'll come out on the 22nd?
A: Nicalis and Nintendo themselves confirmed the date during the recent media summit. It will come out.

Q: But what if it doesn-
A: Ha ha ha. No worries, friend. This thread has plenty of fruit punch for everyone. If that comes to pass, then we'll just have a hearty laugh and drink up. Don't worry if it tastes funny, that's just liquid joy. Everything will be okay. Nobody will hurt us ever again.

cave-story-20100315050623176_640w.jpg

GAMEPLAY:

"Cave Story is a game! You play it with a controller! You run around with a D-Pad and press buttons to jump and also to shoot."
-IGameUp.com's master reporters

Cave Story has been likened to Metroid and Castlevania. While not as exploration heavy, there are very similar elements. Maze-like levels, respawning enemies, health and ammo powerups, epic boss fights against massive foes. As the game progresses, you'll need quite a lot of reflexes and skill to get to the end and especially to get the best ending.

The unique thing about Cave Story's combat is the leveling system. Not for your character, but for your weapons.

cave-story-20100224040400923_640w.jpg

Those golden triangles pop out of defeated enemies. They add experience to your currently equipped weapon, and level it up when the bar fills. Obviously, leveling up your weapons makes them more powerful. Bigger, stronger shots, more shots at once, longer range, etc. There are 3 levels to each weapon. Be careful, getting hit makes you lose experience for your equipped weapon.

Also... there are a few hidden weapons that don't quite follow this scheme...

Throughout the game, you will at times make choices. A few will come right out and present themselves... some are quite cleverly hidden, to the point that it's not obvious there's a choice at all. Some of these will grant you a new or upgraded weapon in exchange for one or more of your current ones. Others will have a far greater effect on the gameplay, the story, and whether you can get the best ending.

(PART OF THE) STORY AND (SOME) CHARACTERS:

You wake up in a cave. It's dark. Who are you? What are you? And most importantly, why are you here?

As it turns out, this place is called Mimiga Island. Populated by the peaceful rabbit-like Mimigas, something has gone horribly wrong recently. It's up to you to put a stop to things. Simple, right?

(sprite, portrait, and old/new sprite comparison)

684het.gif
"Hero": It's you. What's going on here? Better find out.
b5s51v.png

s5v20y.gif
Sue Sakamoto: A young Mimiga being sought by the evil's henchmen. For some reason, the other Mimigas in Mimiga Village think of her as an outsider. Why? She's one of them, isn't she?
2ekmz2x.png

r7sj21.gif
King: The leader of Mimiga Village. Quite angry and forceful, but he cares deeply for the other Mimigas. Hates Sue for some reason.
33ypf80.png

6gfxu1.gif
Toroko: This little Mimiga appears to be friends with Sue. Her late brother was a Mimiga hero named Arthur, and he died fighting the evil that has besought the village.
24m4wmb.png

33o2kad.gif
Kazuma Sakamoto: Sue's brother. Wait, what's going on here!?
25g5mhk.png

vyxque.gif
Balrog: HUZZAH! Pity he's a henchman for some evil mastermind. He seems like a nice guy when he's not trying to crush you to death.
2i12fk9.png

ivkdis.gif
Misery: A powerful witch and Balrog's partner. Seems to be the brains of the two, as she certainly has no heart.
ofcxv4.png

2ef0ow8.gif
Curly Brace: While initially suspicious of you, this young girl soon proves to be a steadfast ally that you'd be wise to keep at your side.
1h5c29.png

MEDIA:

cave-story-20100315050545302_640w.jpg

mtx9cm.png

2ikshok.png

znsvo8.png

cave-story-20100224040403657_640w.jpg

cave-story-20100224040404657_640w.jpg

j133mw.png

2q1ayiw.png

5jz9ds.png

axjno1.jpg

cave-story-20100224040408532.jpg

phew it's almost finally over

CAVE STORY OFFICIAL ONLINE GIVEAWAY!

Follow the instructions here: http://www.nicalis.com/blog/2010/03/21/want-a-free-cave-story-add-us-on-twitter-nicalis/

Nicalis said:
You may have heard that we’re going to be giving away two copies of Cave Story everyday, starting tomorrow, Monday March 22nd through Friday March 26th and the again Monday March 29th through Wednesday March 31st.

All you have to do to be eligible is add us on Twitter (@nicalis) and send the following message: “#cavestory is available on Wii and I want it now! My friend code 1234 5678 901 2345! Now gimme my Cave Story! @nicalis” (don’t use quotations and be sure to list your own friend code, not the generic number listed). We’ll be selecting people at random.

– But don’t send it yet!

To be eligible you have to post that message day-of. That is, if you want to try to get a free copy tomorrow, post the message anytime after 9AM PST tomorrow. If you aren’t selected, you can keep trying everyday until March 31st.

Each day we’ll select two people to receive the gift of Cave Story on Wii. Keep reading for more details

To receive Cave Story you must add the following Wii Friend Code. If you do not addit, you will not receive Cave Story–even if you are selected and we attempt to send it. This is a security feature of the Nintendo code system.

Please add: 3571 3540 3808 3416

When the dual-registration has been confirmed, we will be able to send you Cave Story (on or after March 22nd, 2010 9AM PST) as long as:

- Your Wii is a North American Wii (We will not be able to send a gift to other regions)
- Your Wii has been registered with the Wii Shop Channel
- Your Wii Country is set to “United States” (regardless if you are in Canada or any other physical location); you must confirm you are from the United States if your Wii unit isn’t already set to “United States” (this can be changed after you download Cave Story)
- Receiving gifts is turned ON in the Wii Shop Channel settings (this one is pretty important, too)

If you do not do confirm any of these, you will not receive Cave Story. Please note if you chose to return your gift or do not receive/accept it within 45 days from the time it is sent, the gift will be canceled automatically by the Wii Shop Channel system. We will not re-issue free copies of Cave Story.

Developers Voice Video Interview featuring Pixel (some location spoilers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8XINfralSE
NintendoLife impressions: http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/news/2010/03/first_impressions_cave_story

Reviews:

IGN (8.5/10): (WARNING: contains spoilers and Daemon Hatfield): http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1078862p1.html

I'm really excited for this. Cave Story is one of my favorite games of all time. The screens look great, and I'm excited for multiple save slots.

Ranger X

Day one!

It feels like it's been YEARS we are waiting :lol
I hope I will play Night Game and LaMulana before I die.

Jaded Alyx said:
EU release?
Unfortunately, none yet.

Also, there are some screenshots and videos that have been posted up on various sites and blogs (so watch out), that I did not include in the OP in case any fans wanted to stay away from bonus content spoilers...

Playable Curly Brace mode.

Kyolux

Asked for a review?

I had already delivered back in October 2008... :lol

(removed it.. site down, and unwanted anyway it seems..)

Please Note: this was my second review ever...

So pumped for this! I was excited way back when it was just a straight port -- looking forward to playing it again and giving Pixel my $$ for his awesome creation. Now that there is so much more content/music/art, I'm really excited for Monday. YAY

Gilgamesh

AT LAST. I have been waiting forever for this.

snk2 said:
GC controller support?
How about you just turn your Wiimote on its side instead?

Dalauz said:
hey simple question:

if i Get this RELEASE, Daisuke Amaya(Pixel) will get money?
Yeah. He was even directly involved in development.

..pakbeka.. said:
new graphics, old music for me

Yes, that.

I just looked at their site and saw the countdown clock and couldn't believe it was actually coming out. When they say 'AND MORE!' for added stuff, is this a new ending? Maybe?

heringer

Guys, I'm not ready yet. I have to clear my backlog. What am I going to do? :(

I wish they would delay this game one more month!

This game looks amazing. Thank God they redrew the graphics, I don't mind 8-bit stuff but the thought of missing out on these amazing sprites is awful

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Fact: Cave Story is one of my favorite games of all time. OF ALL TIME. It's the only Freeware game to even come close to making it on a "best of games" list.

ampere

I've had 2000 Wii points just sitting on my account for over a year waiting for this. Will being buying immediately following its release.

I LOVED the PC version. New things to mess around with, or the original version? Sounds like a blast to me :D

edit:
EmCeeGramr said:
Q: But what if it doesn-
A: Ha ha ha. No worries, friend. This thread has plenty of fruit punch for everyone. If that comes to pass, then we'll just have a hearty laugh and drink up. Don't worry if it tastes funny, that's just liquid joy. Everything will be okay. Nobody will hurt us ever again.
oh my god, hahaha

Instro

Im pretty excited about Cave Story finally hitting WiiWare, love that game. Ill probably snag this, Rondo of Blood, and Megaman 10 all at once.

epmode

Gilgamesh said:
How about you just turn your Wiimote on its side instead?
Wait, really? No support? I'd be astounded.

edit: Nevermind, OP mentions CC support. Couldn't care less about GC support.

Dalauz

Gilgamesh said:
Yeah. He was even directly involved in development.
Thank you. I remember some kind of BS around the PSP version about Pixel Copyright. But if he get what he deserved, day 1.

thefro

the_painted_bird said:
One of the best independently developed platformers ever. Best guns. So stylistic, inspiring. WiiWare killer-app, etc.

One of the best platformers ever, period.

Davidion said:
Problem, boyo?

Oh, and in case you're wondering about why the playable character looks different in certain shots, it apparently has to do with the difficulty levels.

In Easy Mode you take half damage and wear a yellow outfit.
In Hard Mode, you go through most of the game with 3HP and no missiles. He has blond hair and blue clothes in that one.

Oyashiro

Huh... so in this version, you can play as Curly AND that brown guy? If so, that's pretty cool.

I'll definitely be picking this up, even though I don't own a Wii (I'll buy it on my friend's Wii!) Cave Story is my favorite PC game, and one of my favorite games of all time. I love everything about it, and I want to support the people behind it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I will not act happy in anyway until March 22nd, when I will open the Shop Channel and see it there, inviting me to download. I will hit purchase. It will download. I will open it.

Once I see the menu screen before me, than will I truly believe, and then I will commence with the happy dance.

Kyolux

I do realize what this thread is about. Just thought I could get some nice souls interested in it if they don't know what the game is like. At least until the wii version is reviewed that's better than nothing?

If not I'll just remove the link then. I wasn't trying to advertize or anything like that...

firex

Oyashiro said:
Huh... so in this version, you can play as Curly AND that brown guy? If so, that's pretty cool.

That's from a part of the game
where Curly helps you destroy the core of the island. Which also leads to getting the best ending.

For anyone else wondering, I can't comment on the Wii version since I haven't played it, but the freeware version uses (frequent) save points to save. Multiple save slots is a good thing, though. It will make one part of the game significantly easier.

Tain

Did Pixel draw the new sprites?

Hard mode sounds pretty lazy, but I'd have to try it.

lordoftherink said:
Nice thread EmCee, just wondering on the length, difficulty, and save system if anyone knows.

Length is a handful of hours. Maybe slightly shorter than most people's first Super Metroid playthrough? Save system consists of frequent save points. Overall difficulty is pretty damn easy save for two very brief and very optional stages.

thefro said:
One of the best platformers ever, period.

It's a pretty amazing show of effort by a single guy, but I wouldn't go that far.

firex said:
For anyone else wondering, I can't comment on the Wii version since I haven't played it, but the freeware version uses (frequent) save points to save. Multiple save slots is a good thing, though. It will make one part of the game significantly easier.
Tain said:
Length is a handful of hours. Maybe slightly shorter than most people's first Super Metroid playthrough? Save system consists of frequent save points. Overall difficulty is pretty damn easy save for two very brief and very optional stages.
Thanks, looks like I'm picking up some points on the weekend.

Top Bottom