• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CCP's Eve Online monument has been vandalized.

Authority

Banned
About the monument
...will have the names of all the “main characters” of all active EVE Online players etched upon it. This list of active, paying players will be captured on March 1st, 2014—no exceptions. In addition, CCP will be honoring EVE Online players who have passed away by adding their names to the monument, as described in the following section.

Updates

EVE Online's player monument is the target of vandalism, CCP responds

So how long did you expect EVE Online's big player monument to be up before people began screwing with it? As it turns out, the correct answer was "four days." A player took to Twitter announcing that he had vandalized the monument over the weekend, scratching out the name of player Xenuria. Whether or not this is a good thing depends largely on what rumors regarding Xenuria you believe.

The alleged vandalism, which apparently took place during this weekend's EVE Fanfest. It certainly sets an unpleasant precedent and opens the door for further vandalism within the game's historically contentious playerbase; one can only hope that this is addressed and corrected. CCP Falcon has addressed the situation on the official forums; we've included the relevant bits below.

This is damage of public property in the City of Reykjavik. The police have been informed, and investigation is ongoing. This is not a laughing matter, and will be dealt with as a criminal offence. We are currently reviewing security footage from a number of surrounding buildings.

People will stop attacking the victim of this on our forums. It's not funny, it's not clever. Take your rumor mongering and personal attacks away from our community. If you choose not to, you'll be removed from the community, permanently. It's a simple as that. We will not tolerate victimization.

What's happened is absolutely disgusting. It's an insult to the entire community and is clearly the work a person who believes that behavior in a virtual world is a valid reason to make a real life personal attack on someone, and deface public property.

We will not tolerate this.

Thankfully we've already had a number of players come forward to assist us and provide information. Including, we believe, members of the person's own alliance.

Thankfully the vast majority of the rest of the community are in the same frame of mind as CCP - disgusted at the fact that someone would do this, and we're extremely grateful for your assistance.

With that in mind, I'll make a simple one time offer, that if the person who defaced the monument wants to come forward and contact me relating to this, then they can do so by EVE mailing my Dev character. If this happens, we'll take it as a gesture of good faith after an extremely stupid act that was committed.

This was the third vandalism act.
fTAYkHPlTqk6TfYP2bjL_nyphur.jpg

I don't know if it's related but there are some pretty bad scratches around my own character name on the monument too. I just assumed someone had accidentally done it by walking stones around on top of the monument or something because it's not directly over any one name, just some big slashes across several names. But isn't the monument made of anodized aluminium? Just a bit disappointed as I missed the unveiling and don't have a photo without the scratches.

Credits to http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05/05/eve-onlines-player-monument-is-the-target-of-vandalism/

This was the first vandalism act.

Fanfest Goons - How low can you go?
tS2smhJ.jpg

Only took them a few hours to deface the monument, and no, it's not a peel off sticker.

Seriously, these people have zero respect for anything and i hope the culprit is arrested for damage to public property.
Grrr goon scumbags.

In which it was granted a special treatment

As this thread will only lead to flaming and trolling it will get a lock. It is up to the Icelandic authorities and/or CCP to deal with things like this so leave them to it please.

Thread locked.

This was the second vandalism act.

Some EVE players can not separate themselves from the game.
Bmzp7JTCQAAY5p6.jpg:large

We all know lots of players in EVE are jerks in game.
Over the past five years I would find my self asking how much of it do they carry outside the game?

https://twitter.com/The_Real_Gevlon/status/463002069989736448
I think this pretty much sums it up.

vandalizing the monument is way overboard. These are "adults" doing this really pretty sad.

I think if it is found out who the player(s) are they are vandalizing the monument the related EVE accounts should be perma ban.

And as well as punished based on the countries laws of vandalism.

Poor taste.

I especially love the This is just despicable! Goon posts, and the irony in making these remarks immediately after fanfest. I hope the 'perp' pleads not guilty, cos they were drunk. And blames fellow players. Good luck with the forum detecting and prosecution though, off to a good start.

Seriously unbelievable. Both acts should be treated accordingly.

Ghazi

Didn't someone cut the power to another player's house and ended up not facing any legal ramifications? I think that's much worse than scratching out a name on a statue.

JLeack

Banned
To be honest, after reading forums and YouTube comments for as long as I have there are a lot of bad-spirited people, including fanboys, who would do something like this if given the opportunity. It's really sad.

pulsemyne

Have no fear. We shall find the person responsible and decimate everything he has in game.

Also I never knew there was a monument! Yay I'm on a piece of art!

CTLance

Didn't someone cut the power to another player's house and ended up not facing any legal ramifications? I think that's much worse than scratching out a name on a statue.

Not quite, that was an idea floated to Mittens* by an allied alliance.

*) Mittens aka The Mittani is the intelligence head honcho of the Goons (the EVE players originally banding together as part of the S-A Forums).

But yeah, sad stuff. Hope whoever did that gets a damn good spanking. Apparently their parents neglected to teach them some rudimentary manners.

FWIW, the monument lists both players who have died in real life AND all active players as on March 1, 2014. Xenuria appears to be one of the live ones.

Still a dick move, obviously, but not as much a dick move as it would've been if someone scratched out the name of a dead person.

Alienous

It's not nice. The consequences an offender would face would be deserved, but more socially than by banning, I think. Absolutely a dick move, but not a surprising one.

As an outsider that seems to be the beauty of EVE. Its innate ugliness.

Authority

Banned
This was the first vandalism act.

Fanfest Goons - How low can you go?
tS2smhJ.jpg

Only took them a few hours to deface the monument, and no, it's not a peel off sticker.

Seriously, these people have zero respect for anything and i hope the culprit is arrested for damage to public property.
Grrr goon scumbags.

In which it was granted a special treatment

As this thread will only lead to flaming and trolling it will get a lock. It is up to the Icelandic authorities and/or CCP to deal with things like this so leave them to it please.

Thread locked.

I especially love the This is just despicable! Goon posts, and the irony in making these remarks immediately after fanfest. I hope the 'perp' pleads not guilty, cos they were drunk. And blames fellow players. Good luck with the forum detecting and prosecution though, off to a good start.

molnizzle

It doesn't sound like it was one of the dead players, though. Not sure what that part of the monument has to do with anything.

Childish nonetheless.

Oh those gosh darn goons

for real if I saw an adult doing that I'd walk up with my fucking booming James Earl Jones type voice and just make a genuine ass out of him in public

Authority

Banned
This is a good post and very informative. I didn't know that the Fanfest was such a big deal in Iceland as well as the rest.

You've obviously never been to Fanfest, otherwise you would realize that EVE Online and CCP as a company are some damn special **** in Reykjavik. The monument isn't a 'lol we're so amazing lololol'. It's a tribute to the amazing impact EVE Online has on Iceland as a country and Reykjavik as a city. EVE Online is one of the biggest export products in Iceland. EVE Fanfest is one of the, if not THE biggest tourist event of the year in Reykjavik.

The monument represents the impact of our digital universe on the real lifes of people living in Reykjavik. And that's pretty damn special if you ask me.

Authority

Banned
I have included this updated version since CCP responded.

EVE Online's player monument is the target of vandalism, CCP responds

So how long did you expect EVE Online's big player monument to be up before people began screwing with it? As it turns out, the correct answer was "four days." A player took to Twitter announcing that he had vandalized the monument over the weekend, scratching out the name of player Xenuria. Whether or not this is a good thing depends largely on what rumors regarding Xenuria you believe.

The alleged vandalism, which apparently took place during this weekend's EVE Fanfest. It certainly sets an unpleasant precedent and opens the door for further vandalism within the game's historically contentious playerbase; one can only hope that this is addressed and corrected. CCP Falcon has addressed the situation on the official forums; we've included the relevant bits below.

This is damage of public property in the City of Reykjavik. The police have been informed, and investigation is ongoing. This is not a laughing matter, and will be dealt with as a criminal offence. We are currently reviewing security footage from a number of surrounding buildings.

People will stop attacking the victim of this on our forums. It's not funny, it's not clever. Take your rumor mongering and personal attacks away from our community. If you choose not to, you'll be removed from the community, permanently. It's a simple as that. We will not tolerate victimization.

What's happened is absolutely disgusting. It's an insult to the entire community and is clearly the work a person who believes that behavior in a virtual world is a valid reason to make a real life personal attack on someone, and deface public property.

We will not tolerate this.

Thankfully we've already had a number of players come forward to assist us and provide information. Including, we believe, members of the person's own alliance.

Thankfully the vast majority of the rest of the community are in the same frame of mind as CCP - disgusted at the fact that someone would do this, and we're extremely grateful for your assistance.

With that in mind, I'll make a simple one time offer, that if the person who defaced the monument wants to come forward and contact me relating to this, then they can do so by EVE mailing my Dev character. If this happens, we'll take it as a gesture of good faith after an extremely stupid act that was committed.

This was the third vandalism act.
fTAYkHPlTqk6TfYP2bjL_nyphur.jpg

I don't know if it's related but there are some pretty bad scratches around my own character name on the monument too. I just assumed someone had accidentally done it by walking stones around on top of the monument or something because it's not directly over any one name, just some big slashes across several names. But isn't the monument made of anodized aluminium? Just a bit disappointed as I missed the unveiling and don't have a photo without the scratches.

Credits to http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05/05/eve-onlines-player-monument-is-the-target-of-vandalism/

Authority

Banned
Justice has been served.
Hey guys,

It's with a heavy heart that I have to speak in relation to the damage that was done to the EVE Universe Monument just four days after it was unveiled.

Firstly, I'll say that the fact that the monument was vandalized is an insult to the entire community, not just to the individual who's name was directly targeted by the vandalism. Thankfully with the assistance of a number of members of the community, including some of those who were involved with the incident and other members of their own alliance, we've been able to make headway in identifying those responsible.

Secondly, we would like to reiterate that we do not tolerate this kind of behavior and will continue to operate a zero tolerance approach to dealing with harassment and victimization in the EVE Universe.

As such, three individuals have been permanently removed from the EVE Community. A total of 7 EVE Online accounts, and 1 DUST 514 account belonging to them have been permanently banned. Another individual who was indirectly involved in the vandalism has received a 6 month ban from EVE Online on their sole registered account.

The four individuals involved are also blacklisted permanently from attending future Fanfest events.

While the community has been justifiably outraged and a number of people have requested that we release the ingame identities of those who carried out the act, we feel that this would be contrary to our privacy policies. As such we will deal with this incident in line with our current policies, and the identities of those responsible will remain confidential.

With this in mind, we now consider this issue resolved within the EVE Universe, and any further action taken outside the virtual world relating to criminal damage or recovery of costs for repairs to the EVE Universe Monument will remain confidential between CCP Games, the authorities, and those involved.

This thread will be left open for discussion, be sure to keep it on topic, with no personal attacks and finger pointing. This is a pretty sensitive subject for some members of the community, and as such people who break the rules will lose their forum posting privileges.

Thanks.

Read more -
A message regarding vandalism of the EVE Universe MonumentJump to first DEV post

Birathen

The goon bee is pretty funny. Goonswarm always were the best content providers in and outside of eve. True space antiheroes o7 o7o7

The other stuff is pretty sad.

Top Bottom