• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt has committed a quarter of its dev staff to Cyberpunk first expansion

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The breakdown was shared during The Witcher developer’s H1 2021 earnings call, listened to by VGC, in which it was hesitant to share any core details on its expansion plans beyond acknowledging that a chunk of its staff was now focused on it.

In comparison, just over a third of the company is working on Cyberpunk 2077’s new-gen console version, as well as support for the original game. Its remaining development staff are working on Gwent and unannounced triple-A projects, it said.

“The next-gen version is an important step on our adventure in the Cyberpunk universe,” said joint CEO Adam Kiciński. “We strongly believe in the long-term potential of this IP. That’s why we’re currently working on the first expansion for the game, although I cannot say anything for more about it at this point in time.”

He added: “In accordance with our promise to gamers, we intend to keep improving Cyberpunk for as long as it takes. Meanwhile, we do not lose sight of the bigger picture: we want to develop other products based on our franchises and to keep growing our core business.

“Right now, 160 people are working on the first expansion for Cyberpunk, while nearly 70 more are involved in unannounced projects.”

Later in the call, the company was pressed for more info on Cyberpunk’s first expansion, but its SVP of business development Michał Nowakowski claimed it was “way too early” to share specifics on pricing or release schedule.

“Regarding the expansion, It’s in development but we’re not providing any specifics about the date… we would like to keep up the rule that we’re not commenting on the date until we’re ready to deliver that,” he said.

“Regarding the price… historically expansions have been paid as with The Witcher [3]. However, it’s definitely way too early to talk about price, since we’re not even giving the date.”

Tschumi

I'm entirely confident that this'll be great. I am already in love with the OG release despite its manifold flaws, I've sunk 100+ hours into it across two consoles and have yet to even try the campaign beyond unlocking the other parts of the city... very excited to see their attempt to reassert their quality. Hope they don't fuck it up.

JonSnowball

Hell yeah. Hoping one of the expansions features The Crystal Palace. Finished the game twice doing all side quests and activites, hanging for more content.

Chupanibre

Welp.

Couldn't they at least finish polishing the turd they started with before trying to add more crap to the pile?

ubLzkSN.jpg

bored waiting GIF

Less talk, more showing significant changes and improvements.

Don't come back to us with some bs like "oh you can select between genders more easily in the love hotel" or something that should have been fixed month 1 like the mini map.

ZehDon

What's sad is that they most likely won't be getting out the promised next gen upgrade out this year, and rather than completely focusing on putting out the dumpster fire they started they're spreading out development to an expansion to the smoldering heap.
How would a texture artist, animator, or quest designer be useful in patching the base game at this point? Why are you complaining about the next-gen upgrade taking longer in the same breath you're calling the base game a "dumpster fire" because it was released too early? Did you even read the thread before you decided CDPR was wrong?

Welp.

Couldn't they at least finish polishing the turd they started with before trying to add more crap to the pile?

ubLzkSN.jpg
Remember they said they feel comfortable with the current state of the game lol.

They're even charging 50 for it a year after release and with the biggest fuck up in recent history, when the game is being sold for 10 bucks at retail.

Kokoloko85

Price?
I thought they were giving DLC free because of the state of crap it launched as?

Not gonna buy till it sells on PS5/Xbox X with all the features etc

JonSnowball

Price?
I thought they were giving DLC free because of the state of crap it launched as?

Not gonna buy till it sells on PS5/Xbox X with all the features etc
No? The free DLC is along the lines of The Witcher 3's free DLC. They've already delivered the first pieces in the 1.3 patch with more to come. It has never been stated that the expansions would be free.

ck1a5wG.png

The paid expansions are larger content comparable to Blood and Wine. The graph from their investor call shows the majority of the company is working on Cyberpunk 2077 updates and the next-gen versions, with a gradually increasingly large group developing the first expansion. This information to me is largely encouraging, the majority of the development team on Cyberpunk 2077 is still working to improve it and the expansion development is ramping up.

SJRB

Gold Member
How many staff they have alotted to something is barely any indication of its quality, as Cyberpunk 2077 itself has made painfully obvious.

Less talk, more action you dweebs.

tassletine

The world was initially amazing, but after a while it just became a maze, and frankly a dull one with very little variety.

Also, it seems like most of the heavy lifting in the writing dept, for Witcher was done by the original authour.
Despite some good moments, there was nothing that stood out from your average videogame, and some of it was downright embarrassing.

Most people wanted Blade Runner, and having a dumb sidekick like Keanu that ruined that. Johnny Silverhand? Seriously? What cretin thought that one up?
The game can't be saved. It's just a pile of ideas, ranging from superb to awful, with no real vision or taste behind it. But the hubris continues as they add more crap to the pile, rather than pruning the fat.

Dr.D00p

I really wouldn't hold out much hope for the native PS5 & Xbox versions of the game.

My 9900K & RTX 3080 is still only capable of running the game at 4K with RT, with 'performance' DLSS' enabled...and even with that I have to lock the game to 30fps for a consistent framerate.

They're going to have to drop settings all the way down & have some pretty aggressive dynamic resolutiuon scaling to get it to run faster than my PC can, and TBH, the game looks pretty bad at anything other than Max settings, IMO.

GymWolf

Hopefully they are gonna be like the w3 expansions where both dlc were fairly better than the main game.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

I just can’t see myself paying for an expansion for a game that I feel is fundamentally lacking at its core. It’ll just be more of the same stuff.

Fuz

Banned
CDPR, stahp. Follow the example of Hello Games. Fix the base game and give us that Deus EX/GTA mixup you promised.

THEN go and make tons of DLC.

JonSnowball

The world was initially amazing, but after a while it just became a maze, and frankly a dull one with very little variety.

Also, it seems like most of the heavy lifting in the writing dept, for Witcher was done by the original authour.
Despite some good moments, there was nothing that stood out from your average videogame, and some of it was downright embarrassing.

Most people wanted Blade Runner, and having a dumb sidekick like Keanu that ruined that. Johnny Silverhand? Seriously? What cretin thought that one up?
The game can't be saved. It's just a pile of ideas, ranging from superb to awful, with no real vision or taste behind it. But the hubris continues as they add more crap to the pile, rather than pruning the fat.
UpSkaAF.png

Denton

What's sad is that they most likely won't be getting out the promised next gen upgrade out this year, and rather than completely focusing on putting out the dumpster fire they started they're spreading out development to an expansion to the smoldering heap.
Do you think writers, designers, artists.. are supposed to just sit around twiddle thumbs in their asses waiting for programmers and QA?

Do you seriously not get that gamedev is a multidisciplinary medium where different people do different things?

And while chunk of coders are occupied with the main game, lot of other people in the team can be working on new content in the meantime?

Impotaku

Cyberpunk can't have paid expansions that's insane. They need to do a No Man's Sky.
You know they will put as little effort into actually fixing the game it will be just token efforts they will definitely try and get away with charging for a lot of the content that should have been in the game from the start stuff that they flat out lied about in extensive trailers they put out.

sublimit

Banned
What a waste. Just put all of your resources on TW4 (and on remaking TW1 and TW2) and abandon this trainwreck.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why the fuck you need that many people for "GWENT" project, never like that shit anyway in the game.

I honestly believe the first expansion should be free. Either that or the expansion has to be the most awesome extra content we've ever seen to fix their reputation. Add on to your existing map, more buildings to explore, apartments, let us buy apartments and customize them and a ton of side stories voiced or if we're not asking too much, expand the main story. Make it so that choices and lifepath actually fucking do something. Make me feel like I was a fucking corpo. Have skills dedicated to lifepaths or guns or locations. And for the love of fuck, give us the option to
save Jackie

junguler

Banned
the foundation is fucked and you decide to make the building even taller? i wonder what could go wrong, hmmm.

Roni

Gold Member
I love the game, honestly they could just release new stories as DLC and keep expanding the gameplay as they did in W3 and in this and I'm there.

It's an 80's product and one that, overall, guessed the general direction we're headed today pretty well as a society.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I read somewhere that they hired people from the modding community to work on this game. If that is true it is a step in the right direction.

MMaRsu

Banned
How many staff they have alotted to something is barely any indication of its quality, as Cyberpunk 2077 itself has made painfully obvious.

Less talk, more action you dweebs.
Last Cyberpunk topic I got into a discussion with this poster who said they were being too silent 😂

Raven117

Gold Member
I hope they can pull it together.

I think CDProjektRed is uniquely positioned to give some incredible gaming experiences. They just need to get back on track and focus on what they do best.

Top Bottom