• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt has 'decided to reconsider' Cyberpunk 2077’s multiplayer

“Previously we hinted that our next triple-A would be a multiplayer Cyberpunk game, but we have decided to reconsider this plan,” Kiciński says in the video. “Given our new, more systematic and agile approach, instead of primarily focusing on one big online experience or game, we are focusing on bringing online into all of our franchises one day. We are building an online technology that can be seamlessly integrated into development of our future games.”

“CD Projekt Red makes singleplayer, story-driven, triple-A RPGs. That is not changing,” he said. “What is changing is our long-term approach to online. By this, we mean ensuring we are properly prepared to implement online elements in our games where they make sense. We don’t have to go overboard, or lose our singleplayer DNA. We want to take thoughtful steps to build robust online capabilities.”

As someone who's recently become addicted to watching GTA RP I really hope they can leave it open to something like that. The entire time I've been watching no-pixel I've been dreaming of that kind of system within Cyberpunks world. So many possibilities man.

I never cared about online multiplayer anyway. This is a single player RPG and I LIKE that.

There are literally a million online shooters. There's no shortage, and if CD Projekt never makes one, that's perfectly fine.

Just keep making amazing adult orientated single player RPGs. That's what I want. Hell you could "decide to reconsider" releasing on Playstations in the future for all I care.

Pallas

I wouldnt be surprised if we get a few more months of patches, then they drop the game like a bad habit.

Doubt they would drop this game already, too much money and time has been invested in it and while CDRed’s reputation took some damage, dropping the game entirely in a few months will probably do irrevocable damage to that reputation and trust in them.

Edit: was actually thinking about this the other day, kind of sucks that it’s being canned.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
As someone who's recently become addicted to watching GTA RP I really hope they can leave it open to something like that. The entire time I've been watching no-pixel I've been dreaming of that kind of system within Cyberpunks world. So many possibilities man.
Huh. You've kinda sparked my imagination. That sounds pretty tight.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

“Previously we hinted that our next triple-A would be a multiplayer Cyberpunk game, but we have decided to reconsider this plan,” Kiciński says in the video. “Given our new, more systematic and agile approach, instead of primarily focusing on one big online experience or game, we are focusing on bringing online into all of our franchises one day. We are building an online technology that can be seamlessly integrated into development of our future games.”

“CD Projekt Red makes singleplayer, story-driven, triple-A RPGs. That is not changing,” he said. “What is changing is our long-term approach to online. By this, we mean ensuring we are properly prepared to implement online elements in our games where they make sense. We don’t have to go overboard, or lose our singleplayer DNA. We want to take thoughtful steps to build robust online capabilities.”
In other words:

Our multiplayer technology isn’t ready, and we are afraid of tanking the stock one again.

PS: Cyberpunk could be excellent with friends. But yeah, CDPR doesn’t have the team to pull off that if they cannot do SP properly.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Let's be honest.

The game needed to be built around multiplayer first, and then fitted with a single player campaign. That world + gameplay did not feel like multiplayer was going to be very fun.

Excelsior!

TheMan

I had no idea they were planning multiplayer. But with all the work that would need to go into just fixing the SP (assuming they plan to really fix it), developing MP on top of that seems like more trouble than it's worth. Cyberpunk had phenomenal initial sales based on years of pent up demand, but thanks to poor WOM i doubt the game has the legs to support (even more) protracted development.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They spent 7 years, with a AAA team, on something that came and went.

Multiplayer, GAAS is coming hard and fast you guys. This proves it.

Algan

After the release fiasco CDPR should be very concerned about the possibility of multiplayer becoming another major problem, especially if it comes accompanied by several bugs and broken mechanics, as occurred in the single player.At the same time, if a good job is done, maybe multiplayer will become the big game changer for Cyberpunk.

This is so vague, is it canceled? They say they're reconsidering it and in the next sentence say online is coming to all their franchises...

If they cancel it that's pretty fucked up, idk if I would have played it but they sold the game promising online was coming.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

So this is the PR way to say "We fucked up and there's no way Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer will get to you anytime soon."

It would have been better for them just to say "Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer is cancelled so we can concentrate on patching the main game
and working on it's DLC."

yurinka

Well, they must forget the multiplayer, the single player dlcs and next gen console ports until they have fixed the game in the current platforms. Once fixed, then they should move to the next gen console versions.

And once all these versions are ok, then is when they should consider if they make DLCs and multi player or not.

Pretty much, this entire game is basically a series of lies.
Dear CD projekt red

2yBHCz3.gif

harmny

Banned
Good call. That multiplayer game was DOA with all the cyberpunk hate.

Patch cp 2077. Then free dlc. Then ps5/xsx complete edition Then move to the next games. No expansions.
2022 parallel development cyberpunk 2078 and the witcher 4 see you in 2026.

Last edited:
For me it's like everytime CDPR comes out with a statement, I believe them less and less and I have a feeling they're going to fuck things up even more.
After the last patch there was still issues with AI spawning in weird and wonderful places.

IMO this game and this developer is dead or dying. These guys just need to SHUT THE FUCK UP. Seriously.

Don't promise this or that.
Don't give roadmaps.
Stay off social media.
Work work and fucking work.

Rather surprise gamers with patches, DLC or whatever the hell they have planned for this game. That way when you do fuck up you have some breathing room to right your wrongs. Fucking roadmaps and these updates is just painting a target on your back.

CDPR...JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP !!!!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

rolandss

“CD Projekt Red makes singleplayer, story-driven, triple-A RPGs. That is not changing,”
this already changed with the release of Cyberpunk, which is neither AAA nor a proper RPG. It’s a hot mess of a story driven open world shooter. this studio‘s rep will be forever tainted by it.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
this already changed with the release of Cyberpunk, which is neither AAA nor a proper RPG. It’s a hot mess of a story driven open world shooter. this studio‘s rep will be forever tainted by it.

One great game release is all that’s needed for a studios previous sins to be forgiven. Winning fixes everything. They can bounce back

ReBurn

Gold Member
Weird that they changed direction. They could have released it broken and a bunch of morons would have paid them for access claiming it's the best online experience ever.

Yoda

Probably too hard to pull off given how much they struggled w/the tech required to do a dense city open-world game. Rockstar still struggles w/GTA:O to this day.

sertopico

I hope it's true. I've never wanted multiplayer in the first place. Btw they are still hiring people for the multiplayer section.

That PR department must be fired. Why would you out this statement out? Nobody's asking about MP but here they are answering questions nobody asked. If it were good news then cool, but once again bad news for any one who bought this game. First fix your shit and then do the talk.

SnapShot

Might aswell just scrap the whole thing while you're at it lol, just how many more features is this game going to lose

Top Bottom