• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"CD Projekt has said it can’t guarantee that Cyberpunk 2077’s new-gen console versions will make it out this year as planned..."

hlm666

The next gen update is basically a resolution bump, RT and increased NPC count right?

I don't know jack shit about porting games to consoles, but a year for the next gen patch doesn't seem right. Is there 5 people working on the next gen update?
The RT in it is incredibly heavy, they are probably having to do alot of rengineering work to even just get reflections running reasonably. Nvidia provided help to implement RT aswell so they wont have that support to lean on for the console versions either.

What a disaster.

insomniac could have made the next gen patch in a week

this game continues to be an enormous blunder. Was really hoping to play it for the holidays but guess not

why it takes over one year to polish a game is beyond me. Terribly mismanaged

FireFly

why it takes over one year to polish a game is beyond me. Terribly mismanaged
I don't think it's 1 year to polish a game. It's one year to finish building the game's engine, so they have a stable base to add new features. Most games are released at least with the technology already done, even if the content is lacking.

Despite the hysterics in this thread, the decision to potentially delay the next gen version is a *good* thing, since it indicates CDPR have learnt something from the launch, and (hopefully) accept that releasing a quality experience is more important than hitting a date.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
Slghtly surprised about Witcher 3 as I thought it was outsourced but for Cyberpunk the writing's on the wall.

With the amount of fixes that were necessary to get the game running on consoles and the hacker attack pretty much shifted the whole development cycle by months so early 2022 is what I pegged it for. I'm also pegging some sort of definitive edition by 2023 with major fixes and DLC which is probably the best time to play this game will be.

Kerotan

The good news is that people will stop putting CD Project on a pedestal and treat them as the multimillion dollar company they are.
The bad news is that people will forget this lesson yet again when the next hype train rolls around.

As of now, From Software is still on that pedestal for most gamers. I don't know how or why since all they make is seven different shades of Dark Souls while Armored Core and Tenchu (fuck that Sekiro bullshit) rot in their basement somewhere.
Meanwhile I'll buy this super cheap in 2023 when it's a much better game.

Flabagast

Slghtly surprised about Witcher 3 as I thought it was outsourced but for Cyberpunk the writing's on the wall.

With the amount of fixes that were necessary to get the game running on consoles and the hacker attack pretty much shifted the whole development cycle by months so early 2022 is what I pegged it for. I'm also pegging some sort of definitive edition by 2023 with major fixes and DLC which is probably the best time to play this game will be.
I think they are just being super careful for anything concerning dates but Witcher 3 should pretty surely come out this year.

I could see CP77 easily slipping to 2022 though. And I hope they go the nuclear route on this one, ie don’t implement save transfers between old gen and next gen version: it would make it much more easier for them to implement new systems and deliver a clean slate (they already did something like this for witcher 3)

I'd imagine in part it's because they have 25% of their staff working on the paid DLC right now.
I'm not going to criticise them for trying to make money but I would think that with the continuing issues they keep having with "the community", whatever that means, they would perhaps think that fixing the problems they've had with people would maybe take priority.
I was sort of hoping that the Witcher 3 update would wash away some of the distrust that I have for them now.
I've not bought Cyberpunk yet as it's still a long way from being the game that they spent years trying to sell to me and until the current gen console version releases there's not really any reason for me to even think about it. Perhaps I would if it was in a sale for a really low price but with it still seemingly being a couple of years or so away from the game they were promising it will likely reach a lower price point before at some point anyway.
Realistically, if the paid DLC comes before everything is sorted then I really hope that people choose not to buy it.

martino

image.png

Given how much they improved the game already, none.

Improved or fixed?
With No Mans Sky at least the developers released content (regularly and for free), and added to the game as well as quality of life fixes.

CD Projekt are merely fixing bugs that should have been ironed out at launch. And a year later, they still exist. I just read above that the DLC coming out to is paid??!! LOL

NMS is not a system seller but the dude really turned around public opinion. I don't see CD Projekt doing that.

Last edited:
don't really care about the next gen update cause i don't have a console and even if i did it still wouldn't look or run as good as it does on my PC.

sucks about Witcher 3 though. i was hoping to replay that again.

i know hating on CDPR is all the rage but i ain't about that. i found the game enjoyable and if we're getting expansions with the same quality that W3 got then Cyberpunk is gonna get even better! haters will keep hating but for those that enjoyed it then we're all in for a treat.

Bragr

Banned
not at retail it's not, seeing as retailers are pretty much giving it away now. Kind of find it ironic they were trying to bundle a steelbook with it like this thing has any chance of been collectible lol it's in the same company as fallout 76 for dumpster fire games. Feel sorry for any poor fuck who paid full price let alone the even higher costs for those bloated collector editions.
Cyberpunk is a great game on the PC, and it's likely gonna be great on the next-gen consoles too. Completely different sort of game than Fallout 76. Fallout 76 was an uneeded uninspired game made to cash in on Fallout.

Nautilus

Banned
Improved or fixed?
With No Mans Sky at least the developers released content (regularly and for free), and added to the game as well as quality of life fixes.

CD Projekt are merely fixing bugs that should have been ironed out at launch. And a year later, they still exist. I just read above that the DLC coming out to is paid??!! LOL

NMS is not a system seller but the dude really turned around public opinion. I don't see CD Projekt doing that.
No Mans Lie is a completely different situation compared to Cyberpunk. With No Mans Lie, Sean completely lied about what the game was, and with the money he "stole" from his costumers, he actually built the game and the features that, according to Sean, should have already been in the game. In another words, people who bought No Mans Lie kickstarted the game, only to receive what was promised almost 3 years later.

In Cyberpunk case, everything CD Projekt Red promised about the game was already in the game, it was/is just buried under a shitton of bugs and performance issues.

People have a really bad memory if some are comparing No Mans Lie situation to this one, Already forgetting the shit Sean and Hello games pulled with No Mans Lie, just because they mamaged to actually develop the game they promised after "borrowing" people's money with a shell of a game.

And you know what the funny thing about all this will be?Is that the same people complaining about Cyberpunk will also forget about this whole debacle once CD Red finishes fixing the game and releasing the expansions(which, contrary to what some are saying in here, I feel like some of those expansions will be released for free to get some goodwill, much like No Mans Lie did).

The only difference between Cyberpunk and No Mams Lie is that Cyberpunk's failures are still fresh in people's mind, and No Mans Lie is already old news by now.

Flabagast

No Mans Lie is a completely different situation compared to Cyberpunk. With No Mans Lie, Sean completely lied about what the game was, and with the money he "stole" from his costumers, he actually built the game and the features that, according to Sean, should have already been in the game. In another words, people who bought No Mans Lie kickstarted the game, only to receive what was promised almost 3 years later.

In Cyberpunk case, everything CD Projekt Red promised about the game was already in the game, it was/is just buried under a shitton of bugs and performance issues.

People have a really bad memory if some are comparing No Mans Lie situation to this one, Already forgetting the shit Sean and Hello games pulled with No Mans Lie, just because they mamaged to actually develop the game they promised after "borrowing" people's money with a shell of a game.

And you know what the funny thing about all this will be?Is that the same people complaining about Cyberpunk will also forget about this whole debacle once CD Red finishes fixing the game and releasing the expansions(which, contrary to what some are saying in here, I feel like some of those expansions will be released for free to get some goodwill, much like No Mans Lie did).

The only difference between Cyberpunk and No Mams Lie is that Cyberpunk's failures are still fresh in people's mind, and No Mans Lie is already old news by now.
I agree with your message, but CDPR confirmed expansions will be paid. And rightfully so imho, the game is already content complete with a finite story (except for bad AI and bugs but I would not qualify that as content)

usp84

What?No they didn't, the game has severe flaws in a lot of areas and they most definitely did not deliver what they were promising for years.Please check all the interviews at E3 and other conferences.

I myself played the game on a good PC and enjoyed it with no problems at all and i am eagerly awaiting whatever upgrade and the first expansion but let's not forget so easily.

Just because another game promised much more and delivered nothing(btw i have no interest in No mans Sky) doesn't mean we should just absolve CDPR of their terrible launch of Cyberpunk 2077.

Nautilus

Banned
I agree with your message, but CDPR confirmed expansions will be paid. And rightfully so imho, the game is already content complete with a finite story (except for bad AI and bugs but I would not qualify that as content)
Oh, didn't know they already said that.I feel like it would be a good move to give the first expansion for free, for a PR point of view, and charge for the other expansions, but they (hopefully) know better.

Flabagast

Oh, didn't know they already said that.I feel like it would be a good move to give the first expansion for free, for a PR point of view, and charge for the other expansions, but they (hopefully) know better.
I see your point but I don’t agree. They already did the « good move » with their massive refund campaign (which no video game company had done at this scale before) and as I said the problem of the game is not its story and quest content per se.

If they release expansions with multiple hours of content a 10-15$ price would be justifiable. These things are costly, and as the base game has totally dropped in sale they ve got to make revenue somewhere

Paasei

That means it's done at the same time that the PS5 is available in stores. 2023.

Happy I have this one on PC. Cool game and fun to play, but nothing more than that.

Nautilus

Banned
I see your point but I don’t agree. They already did the « good move » with their massive refund campaign (which no video game company had done at this scale before) and as I said the problem of the game is not its story and quest content per se.

If they release expansions with multiple hours of content a 10-15$ price would be justifiable. These things are costly, and as the base game has totally dropped in sale they ve got to make revenue somewhere
Maybe.Lets just hope everything works out, because the game is awesome.

I wish I had time to pull the receipt but I called this like 2 weeks ago. There was no way with their delayed patches that they’d be even close to getting the next gen versions done by this year.

I'm not surprised, shocked, saddened, or even disappointed. I'll just wait for a sale down the road along with the patch to play it, and most likely will do the same with whatever else they put out. It's pretty rare for a company to go from such high regards regarding caring for their base to taking such a massive shit on it. Hopefully they at least learn someting from this shit storm of their own making to make better choices going foward.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So look, if all they are saying is that they don't want to make promises about release dates at the expense of the product, I think that is wise.

And I also think they absolutely have to get this right.

But holy shit how are they so far behind on this? They should have been prioritizing next gen from the very start.

treemk

Banned
People mad but the biggest problem with CP is that it should have been delayed more. The next gen update might make or break the future of the game, it needs to be impeccable and awesome, delay as needed.

waquzy

People mad but the biggest problem with CP is that it should have been delayed more. The next gen update might make or break the future of the game, it needs to be impeccable and awesome, delay as needed.
Are you serious? The next gen update won't change the core gameplay, it would still be crap, it would just look better,. CDPR would have to rewrite the whole code to come back from this.

abcdrstuv

Banned
If they fix all the bugs, isn’t it a pretty good game already? There was disappointment it didn’t live up to the hype - or its own previews - and I can imagine a lot of content and systems being layered back in, but… I came to AC Unity a year or two late, once it had been patched, and it was way better than the anti-hype.

coffinbirth

Not counting No Man's Sky because they recovered completely
I see this sentiment a lot, but as someone that bought that game at launch on PS4, and didn't go back to it until last year...I thought it was still a pretty janky, boring ass game. I mean, I love the concept, but the execution...leaves a LOT to be desired. And as I said, I played on PS4, so I'm not sure about on PC, but this game did not run very well, and looked pretty bad.
I understand that they added a whole lot of content and such, but the actual gameplay is still just meh to me.

Cyberpunk needs complete system overhauls and about two more years of actual development to finish all the half-baked bullshit going on in there, though at it's core it could still be a good game....I just don't see any of that ever happening, especially considering how long it's taking them just to cover bugfixes.

Marty-McFly

Banned

We need to stop pretending it's just performance bugs. CDPR promised us a living, breathing open world. What we got in those terms was closer to No More Hero's than GTAV.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Cyberpunk needs complete system overhauls and about two more years of actual development to finish all the half-baked bullshit going on in there, though at it's core it could still be a good game....I just don't see any of that ever happening, especially considering how long it's taking them just to cover bugfixes.
This is just not true. Jank aside, Cyberpunk's gameplay loop is solid as hell, the writing is great, and most of what is still shabby is also superfluous. Yes, things like NPC AI matter for verisimilitude, and yes the lack of real driving AI or a full fledged police system would add something, but let's not overstate it.

I think the real issue is that they took a "fix it as we go" approach to engine development, so they never had a solid technical foundation, which makes doing even releatively minor fixes harrowing because it's all a house of cards. And they've invested a crazy amount of effort into last gen ports that are just never going to be great. If not for those two things, all that shit would have been done by now.

coffinbirth

This is just not true. Jank aside, Cyberpunk's gameplay loop is solid as hell, the writing is great, and most of what is still shabby is also superfluous. Yes, things like NPC AI matter for verisimilitude, and yes the lack of real driving AI or a full fledged police system would add something, but let's not overstate it.

I think the real issue is that they took a "fix it as we go" approach to engine development, so they never had a solid technical foundation, which makes doing even releatively minor fixes harrowing because it's all a house of cards. And they've invested a crazy amount of effort into last gen ports that are just never going to be great. If not for those two things, all that shit would have been done by now.
I strongly disagree. It's a janky pile of unfinished dogshit.

Woggleman

We need to stop pretending it's just performance bugs. CDPR promised us a living, breathing open world. What we got in those terms was closer to No More Hero's than GTAV.
I don't know what No more Heroes is but GTA V is not the standard to live up to. You are talking about a game where NPCs call the cops just for standing to close and there is a disgusting lack of interiors. You can can't even enter fast food places which is a step back from GTA IV and San Andreas. I am not defending Cyberpunk but let's use some perspective. At least I can enter quite a large number of buildings in Cyberpunk.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Frustrating as it is, your right. Cyberpunk needs to sustain them for the next 6-8 years while witcher 4 is made. If no one is buying it because of its shit quality then they wont have much future income.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I don't know what No more Heroes is but GTA V is not the standard to live up to. You are talking about a game where NPCs call the cops just for standing to close and there is a disgusting lack of interiors. You can can't even enter fast food places which is a step back from GTA IV and San Andreas. I am not defending Cyberpunk but let's use some perspective. At least I can enter quite a large number of buildings in Cyberpunk.
Can you? Just building's that are part of the missions.

It's one of the most simplistic, primitive open worlds ever created from and AI standpoint.

Woggleman

Can you? Just building's that are part of the missions.

It's one of the most simplistic, primitive open worlds ever created from and AI standpoint.
Yes you can. There are multiple nightclubs and food places that you can enter unlike GTA V and you can at least enter them after the missions. There is a nightclub in GTA V that is open for one mission and then locked for the rest of the game. If Cyberpunk is primitive then GTA V is prehistoric except for traffic and police AI.

Top Bottom