• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt is looking for mobile devs for Gwent, board recommends to pay out dividend

boskee

What most have suspected/looked for to for quite some time has been all but confirmed: CDPR is now looking for Mobile Developers to work on Gwent:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/gameplay-programmer-gwent/

In other news, CD Projekt's board has recommended a dividend payout to the tune of 100 million PLN, or some ~$25 million. It is the first dividend paid out by the Polish company since it went public, and is also the first dividend paid out by any Polish gaming company. , The board has refused to promise more payouts in the future and has stated, that future payouts will be determined by the current financial situation of the company, its business plans and future needs.

Finally, the Game Director for Cyberpunk 2077 has changed after RED has finished Blood and Wine (screenshot below), and according to my sources - please treat it as a rumour, as I won't reveal anything more - the preproduction done on the game before 2016 has been binned.

lK0S24g.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I didn't realize there wasn't a mobile version of Gwent announced.

Their public statements about reboots and ambition along with the continually increasing development timeline of Cyberpunk also fit with the idea of the game having been rebooted.

Similarly the new type of multiplayer stuff they were getting funding for didn't exactly make sense in the context of their original statements about the game.

boskee

I didn't realize there wasn't a mobile version of Gwent announced.

It wasn't, but given the fact they built it in Unity it was obvious. However, we now have a solid evidence they're going to develop a mobile version.

Their public statements about reboots and ambition along with the continually increasing development timeline of Cyberpunk also fit with the idea of the game having been rebooted.

Well, some of their statements may have given people wrong idea about the stage of development. From what I can tell, the work done by CD Projekt Black, as the team responsible for Cyberpunk 2077 was known, has been all but binned.

Similarly the new type of multiplayer stuff they were getting funding for didn't exactly make sense in the context of their original statements about the game.

They originally stated that the game will contain multiplayer elements, so it's not exactly far from the original promise.

wiibomb

given that I play 90% of the time Hearthstone on mobile, CCG need to be on mobile for me, if they port it to mobile, I'll surely give it a shot, HS is becoming too expensive

boskee

Ah that sucks. After The Witcher 3 I just can't wait to see this thing, I've never poured so much time into an rpg before it.

Well, we have Gwent campaigns coming out later this year - one for each faction, each 10+ hours of single player, fully voiced open (isometric) world journeys set in the world of the Witcher. This should keep us busy :)

MadYarpen

Finally, the Game Director for Cyberpunk 2077 has changed after RED has finished Blood and Wine (screenshot below), and according to my sources - please treat it as a rumour, as I won't reveal anything more - the preproduction done on the game before 2016 has been binned.

I wish I knew what the fuck this means for the game's production process.

What is in pre-production? Concept arts? What else?

boskee

Story for example. CD Projekt Black was pretty much story writers and the Game Director after staff was moved to work on TW3.

MadYarpen

Story for example. CD Projekt Black was pretty much story writers and the Game Director after staff was moved to work on TW3.

Hm... I think something like that happened to all their games to some extent. I am not sure, because it is since 2004 that I've been following their work and that's a lot of time to forget things, but what you are saying certainly rings a bell for me.

Anyway, if that is the case, I hope what they have instead (I understand they are effectively working on the game for more than a year now) is good.

They have the engine (well surely it needs update to handle a city and vehicles
and better combat & movement
), i hope it is in very intensive production ATM.

boskee

Hm... I think something like that happened to all their games to some extent. I am not sure, because it is since 2004 that I've been following their work and that's a lot of time to forget things, but what you are saying certainly rings a bell for me.

Anyway, if that is the case, I hope what they have instead (I understand they are effectively working on the game for more than a year now) is good.

They have the engine (well surely it needs update to handle a city and vehicles
and better combat & movement
), i hope it is in very intensive production ATM.

For all I know it is in the advanced stage of production, sure.

Well pre-production is a lot of design work, and also the time for engineering R&D to build up the engine. It's the period where everyone is trying to figure out what the game might look like, and get ready to build that. Concept art is big because it helps establish tone and visual language during this phase.

Think of it like constructing a building. Before you start laying bricks down (production), you need a blueprint ready to go (pre-production). Everyone on the team needs to help with that blueprint at one point or another. Except now CDPR may have thrown their blueprint out, which can be good since you can now get an understanding of what did and didn't work before.

Stalwart

Can't wait. I rarely play Gwent because they're doing a wipe before open beta but once this is on mobile it'll probably take up all the time I usually spend playing Hearthstone.

boskee

Well pre-production is a lot of design work, and also the time for engineering R&D to build up the engine. It's the period where everyone is trying to figure out what the game might look like, and get ready to build that. Concept art is big because it helps establish tone and visual language during this phase.

Think of it like constructing a building. Before you start laying bricks down (production), you need a blueprint ready to go (pre-production). Everyone on the team needs to help with that blueprint at one point or another. Except now CDPR may have thrown their blueprint out, which can be good since you can now get an understanding of what did and didn't work before.

Well said, however, there's one thing that is also important to note, and that is that all those "everything we know about Cyberpunk 2077" threads can be now binned too. Things like "translation chips" have been described by the former Game Director and should now be forgotten, until we get evidence to the contrary.

Shredderi

doc-rivers.gif

StereoVsn

The delay certainly sucks. I was hoping for early 2nd half 2018 release but I don't see this getting out before 2019 now at best. This is also interesting since their incoming revenue is going to be quite small since W3 sales should have bottomed out and Gwent is an unknown.

I guess they still got GoG.

boskee

The delay certainly sucks. I was hoping for early 2nd half 2018 release but I don't see this getting out before 2019 now at best. This is also interesting since their incoming revenue is going to be quite small since W3 sales should have bottomed out and Gwent is an unknown.

I guess they still got GoG.

CDPR is happy with the income that Gwent has already generated and they're still yet to launch in China.

Well said, however, there's one thing that is also important to note, and that is that all those "everything we know about Cyberpunk 2077" threads can be now binned too. Things like "translation chips" have been described by the former Game Director and should now be forgotten, until we get evidence to the contrary.

Does this mean I need to forget everything, delete my hype and wait for new info from the current director?

God damn...

Frostman

Wow. I've never felt this way about a game release before. I know it will release, but I just feel like it won't.

Have been waiting too long lmao.

Makes sense I think. A lot has changed since the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Blood & Wine. More money, an improved engine, ...

DemWalls

Yeah, I'd noticed this, also posted it in the CP 2077 "all info" thread a few months ago, speculating what that could mean. I tried to be optimistic, but...

I wonder if Konrad became the director of this one too.

frontovik

Banned
Thanks for the information, OP.

As an avid fan of Gwent, it'd certainly be fantastic to see it brought to mobile. The more exposure the better, especially for CDPR as they absolutely deserve it.

With regards to Cyberpunk, I'm not surprised that the team is working on a new blueprint .. the creative process takes some work, but it's best to constantly refine it rather than working with a shoddy foundation.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Cyberpunk genre, but if CDPR in the future works on something historical inspired, that would be neat! (i.e... something on Ancient Rome/Greece, Age of Discovery, 30 Years War, World War I or II perhaps?)

boskee

Thanks for the information, OP.

As an avid fan of Gwent, it'd certainly be fantastic to see it brought to mobile. The more exposure the better, especially for CDPR as they absolutely deserve it.

With regards to Cyberpunk, I'm not surprised that the team is working on a new blueprint .. the creative process takes some work, but it's best to constantly refine it rather than working with a shoddy foundation.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Cyberpunk genre, but if CDPR in the future works on something historical inspired, that would be neat! (i.e... something on Ancient Rome/Greece, Age of Discovery, 30 Years War, World War I or II perhaps?)

They are going to release 2 AAA games by 2021, but I doubt the 2nd, unrevealed game, will be historically inspired ;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
wooooow. I hope this does not portend a troubled development.

Their public statement when they did the reboot was that they felt their original vision wouldn't be good enough or ambitious enough by the standards of when the game was targeted to release.

A lot of games really struggle with that, and for example, it's how we end up with series like Deus Ex going into the garbage can, so it's a good idea to adjust if you need to.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I don't really care for Gwent. I loved it as a mini game but as a card game it's gonna be expensive to keep up with new cards. I might just jump in for the single player content.

Sucks for Cyberpunk. Really looking forward to it. Take your time and get it right. I am sure it'll be worth the wait.

xylo

Neo Member
wooooow. I hope this does not portend a troubled development.
No. This happens all the time in development.

You try things. They don't work. You scrap it and try something else. It doesn't work. You try again taking into account the previous failures and it sorta works. You tweak that and it works better. You tune it a bit more and hey it's not bad and kind of fun. You feverishly polish that and you end up with a Witcher 3.

Wish they had given this much time to W3. It could have used it.

Tell me, is there anything your source can say about what happened to the planned Scoia'tael / Catriona plague / Nilfgaardian war effort subplot of W3. Still dying to find out more about it, and why it got the axe seemingly so late. Was planned from the start, from what I can tell. Everyone is closed lip though due to NDA.

boskee

Wish they had given this much time to W3. It could have used it.

Tell me, is there anything your source can say about what happened to the planned Scoia'tael / Catriona plague / Nilfgaardian war effort subplot of W3. Still dying to find out more about it, and why it got the axe seemingly so late. Everyone is closed lip though due to NDA.

I will ask, but you have to understand that CDPR is very sensitive to feedback. The Arena mode in TW2 was done waaaaaaaaay earlier than it was added in the Enhanced Edition, but because it was half baked and the feedback was mixed, they made a snap decision to cut it out and work on it further. Arena was axed shortly before the release of TW2. That's how CDP rolls.

Ahasverus

I will ask, but you have to understand that CDPR is very sensitive to feedback. The Arena mode in TW2 was done waaaaaaaaay earlier than it was added in the Enhanced Edition, but because it was half baked and the feedback was mixed, they made a snap decision to cut it out and work on it further. Arena was axed shortly before the release of TW2. That's how CDP rolls.
Yet nobody told them that the Search for Dandelion was as fun as a soup of nails smh

I will ask, but you have to understand that CDPR is very sensitive to feedback. The Arena mode in TW2 was done waaaaaaaaay earlier than it was added in the Enhanced Edition, but because it was half baked and the feedback was mixed, they made a snap decision to cut it out and work on it further.

Sweet! Thanks ;)

I've heard things like that. From what I understand, a lot of the stuff added in the EE was originally worked on during production, but put aside when it became apparent that they didn't have the time to finish it to their standards. I remember Doug Cockle saying that he was never called back to do more lines for W2. The stuff they added in the EE had already been recorded during the original development.

Part of me wonders if there's voice files sitting on a CDPR server somewhere for TW2 Chapter 4 set in Dol Blathanna, even if they hadn't came out and said it, it's obvious they had intended for it to be in the game. Hopefully we'll finally see Francesca in the Gwent campaign.

Yet nobody told them that the Search for Dandelion was as fun as a soup of nails smh

Just my hypothesis, but they definitely knew, just like with Iorveth and the Wild Hunt. it was just too late to do anything about it.

boskee

Part of me wonders if there's voice files sitting on a CDPR server somewhere for TW2 Chapter 4 set in Dol Blathanna, even if they hadn't came out and said it, it's obvious they had intended for it to be in the game. Hopefully we'll finally see Francesca in the Gwent campaign.

Just my hypothesis, but they definitely knew, just like with Iorveth and the Wild Hunt. it was just too late to do anything about it.

I know nothing about that. What I can tell you, is that the chances for the next Witcher game to feature Ciri as the protagonist are next to zero, unless Horizon has changed CDPR's opinion. They had a research into female game protagonists, and it wasn't great.

Top Bottom