• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt looking for Witcher 3 publisher, Cyberpunk will have major marketing

boskee

CD Projekt CEO was interviewed by TVN CNBC and had few interesting things to say:

- Trailer represents the level of in-game graphics that they're aiming for.

- Cyberpunk 2077 will have a much bigger marketing budget than any of their previous games, and they're confident it will be a commercial success comparable to the "big games". The most important market for C2077 will be NA.

- They are about to start talks with publishers about their second title (which will be announced on 5 February).

The last point suggest that we may as well see some gameplay footage from the second title.

UrbanRats

CD Projekt CEO was interviewed by TVN CNBC and had few interesting things to say:

- Cyberpunk 2077 will have a much bigger marketing budget than any of their previous games, and they're confident it will be a commercial success comparable to the "big games". The most important market for C2077 will be NA.

- They are about to start talks with publishers about their second title (which will be announced on 5 February).

The last point suggest that we may as well see some gameplay footage from the second title.

Oh shi..

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah, so that's how they're funding this expansion, through a more traditional publishing arrangement.

There's still time for EA CD Projekt, Derrick!

Also I'm going to split this to a new thread.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Just stay away from Namco and WB since they failed The Witcher 2 EE big time.(even smaller guy like Atari did a better job with The Witcher 1 and 2)

Bethesda ,2K/Take Two, Square-Enix or Atlus are good,CDPR really need a good publisher who know how to do marketing unlike Namco and WB (and also benefit from their loyal fans too)

injurai

Banned
Ah, so that's how they're funding this expansion, through a more traditional publishing arrangement.

I was under the impression that they were self funding this title... I wonder if they will ever be able to have the luxury.

I guess with them looking for a publisher for The Witcher III, that must mean they must have been burnt hard by the whole Namco Bandai lawsuit over the 360 version of The Witcher II.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Nightmare fuel for GAF.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was under the impression that they were self funding this title... I wonder if they will ever be able to have the luxury.

They certainly self funded it to this point, but they probably need more money than they have to finish it.

To get The Witcher 2 done, they did have to take a small loan from Namco.

untitled-116qp8o8wkan.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh, did they self-publish then?

Basically they funded almost the entire thing, took a small loan from Namco when they ran out of money near the end, and then used Namco in Europe and Warner in the US to distribute it.

They had a similar setup for The Witcher 1 IIRC. Namco actually bought Atari's distribution arm in Europe, so I think that's why they went with Namco that time around.

Given how early they're looking for a publisher here though, this suggests they want someone to fund the game and marketing instead of just ship it to stores.

injurai

Banned
They certainly self funded it to this point, but they probably need more money than they have to finish it.

To get The Witcher 2 done, they did have to take a small loan from Namco.

Ahh ok, I never really knew that. I was hoping GoG would help in their funding, maybe if it grows a bit more they will be the second coming of Valve. Or maybe they would become Valve Europe.

Nightmare fuel for GAF.

I'd see to it that EA burned at that point.

Sentenza

In their shoes I would probably try to go with Square Enix, if they are interested.
They may be unpopular as developers at this point, but as publishers they are doing fairly well, especially on the PC side.

Warner bros is not a bad option either, as far as they are actually dropping GFWL as some rumors suggest.

zkylon

zkylewd
In their shoes I would probably try to go with Square Enix, if they are interested.
They may be unpopular as developers at this point, but as publishers they are doing fairly well, especially on the PC side.

Warner bros is not a bad option either, as far as they are actually dropping GFWL as some rumors suggest.
Square Enix + bigger marketing budget + TW IP = facebook app to plough your friends?

EMT0

Banned
Square Enix + bigger marketing budget + TW IP = facebook app to plough your friends?

Winner.

While a lot of developers talk big about delivering on the graphics front, CDProjekt is the only one that I am willing to take at face value on this.

Lulubop

Won't they just self publish the PC version?

Sentenza

I honestly don't care. I'll let the thrill to experience some easy outrage to someone else, as far as they are selling me the game in a way I find convenient enough.

Won't they just self publish the PC version?
That would be even better, but judging by this rumor that could not be the case.
Unless they mean just distribution and they aren't looking for some additional financial backing.

in short what I don't want to see is either GFWL, Origin or Uplay tackled to this.
GoG or Steamworks would be fine.

Derrick01

Banned

The PC version wouldn't be touched by EA would it? How hard would it be to just slap it on GoG and Steam?

JordanN

Banned
Imagine if Nintendo picked it up.

Would make bayonetta 2 look like a water droplet in an ocean of sand.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The PC version wouldn't be touched by EA would it? How hard would it be to just slap it on GoG and Steam?

If it's a traditional publishing agreement then Cyberpunk 2077 development won't be wholly funded by CD Projekt.

CDP could forget about trying to come remotely close to that CGI trailer then.

Almighty

Given how early they're looking for a publisher here though, this suggests they want someone to fund the game and marketing instead of just ship it to stores.

This seems like whats going on and is not what I wanted to hear personally. I am already slightly worried about the Witcher 3 with this open world talk. Adding publisher influence to the mix does not leave me hopeful.

Bayonetta is cool because graphics was never a big focus of Platinums's and the gameplay will be amazing, after seeing the Witcher 2 on a high end PC NO NO NO NO NO NO

Can someone post some stills of the trailer btw?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
That's what you meant.

I still refuse to use Origin(I don't care if it's alright now I just don't want it and wont install it on my PC) and if EA got CDPR games and forced Origin on us then let hope next gen consoles can run it as good as PC.

Chrysalis

This seems like whats going on and is not what I wanted to hear personally. I am already slightly worried about the Witcher 3 with this open world talk. Adding publisher influence to the mix does not leave me hopeful.

Agree there. It's much more difficult to tell a clever, focused story when you don't know the order in which the player will encounter major pieces of content. It's one of the reasons why none of the Mass Effects ever quite worked on an overall story level. First one came the closest, but they all suffered from a necessarily episodic approach.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'll always prefer smaller scopes and no publisher interference.

I'll take another game with TW2 graphics and TW2 size over publisher interference any day.

Fuck multiplayer, DLC, online passes, marketing, fuck them all in the face.

The most important market for C2077 will be NA.
I'm curious to see the viewing statistics on Youtube when they become available. It's already the most watched CD Projekt produced video on Youtube other then the alpha footage, and that took a while to climb up with most of the views coming from Russia and the Ukrane.

boskee

Does this suggest Cyberpunk already has a publisher/outside investor unlike the second project?

Nope. It was more about the current state of their second project (probably The Witcher 3), which is so advanced, that they are able to demonstrate it to distributors.

Also, I probably used a wrong word before - I think they'll be talking to DISTRIBUTORS, not publishers as they already stated multiple times that they'll self-publish all of their upcoming titles and only sign distribution deals. Unfortunately, the interview in question is not (and probably won't be) available online, since it was conducted via phone, so I can't check his exact words.

Edit: I just realised that I created new thread by mistake :/. It was supposed to be a reply in the teaser thread.

blueagle7

Neo Member
Batman Arkham Asylum.

and also Sleeping Dogs and Just Cause but they own the IPs for both tho.

What? Batman Arkham series is published by Warner Bros Interactive.

Square publishes Quantum Conundrum, Deus Ex, Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider and they don't have in house studios for that.

I couldn't imagine wanting another game more than this one. It seems to be what I wanted Shadowrun to be. Truthfully, I'm just glad I'm getting a cyberpunk RPG of any sort.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What? Batman Arkham series is published by Warner Bros Interactive.

Square publishes Quantum Conundrum, Deus Ex, Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider and they don't have in house studios for that.

Eidos was co-publishing Arkham Asylum before Warner bought Rocksteady and started very rapid expansion in the games business.

Deus Ex, Hitman, and Tomb Raider all came from internal studios though. Square Enix fully owns IO Interactive, Crystal Dynamics, and Eidos Montreal.

Jarmel

Banned
Key words here are "aiming for".

That is the correct response. That said, even if they come close then it'll still be a great experience. I can't say the graphics will be amazing as I don't know what the trailer will be compared to in 2015.

zkylon

zkylewd
The best example in SE's favor would be Sleepy Dogs. I can tolerate the excessive DLC milking since the PC version is awesome but still...

Top Bottom