• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt may be preparing to defend against a hostile takeover

Which of these companies is presumably trying to buy CD Projekt?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I kind of want them to be taken over by someone like EA just to see the outrage online hehe. Maybe I'd think differently if I'd actually played more than 2 hours of the Witcher 3.

So because you didn't like their game, you think they deserve to be taken over? How petty could you be?

Why must everything I love suffer. Hope it goes well for them. They're one of the few western developers that I have high hopes for.

Kieli

Let's start a NeoGAF fund to buy at least 50% shares in CDProjeckt.

We can't let them be taken over by unscrupulous publishers.

Noobcraft

Let's start a NeoGAF fund to buy at least 50% shares in CDProjeckt.

We can't let them be taken over by unscrupulous publishers.
CDPR is worth like a billion dollars lol. I don't think gaf has the kind of capital among its members to make any meaningful difference.

boskee

One more interesting fact - apparently earlier this year the new populist/nationalistic Polish government (that CDPR has made fun of in the Polish version of the first Witcher game and Marcin Iwinski compared to Trump in his interview with Danny O'Dwyer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFYXxpxLu9E) planned to nationalise pension funds and merge them into one. Various pension funds such as Aviva hold (combined) 21% of the shares in CD Projekt. The new rule calls for restriction of voting rights for shareholders that hold more than 20% in the company. May be a coincidence, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Kieli

That'd raise some serious anti-trust concerns. Valve has an effective monopoly on PC game distribution, going after acquiring one of the few credible non-Steam platforms out there is pretty flagrantly monopolistic behavior.

Would it be anti-trust since CDProjeckt is a Polish, not American, company?

boskee

Official response from CDP

As for the rumor, it emerged after the Board suggested introducing a voting cap during the upcoming shareholder meeting. However, the proposal is not a reaction to any current events affecting CD PROJEKT. Rather, it is meant as insurance against future hypothetical scenarios which may never materialize.
We wish to safeguard the interests of minority shareholders in a hypothetical case where a major shareholder emerges professing a business and strategic vision which conflicts with ours.

source: http://wccftech.com/cd-projekt-red-says-theres-currently-no-actual-threat-of-hostile-takeover/

Top Bottom