• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red: 'Cyberpunk 2077 is far, far bigger than The Witcher 3'

Tacitus_

Hope they are inspired by Blade Runner

Teaser trailer had this going for it
cyberpunk-3207575.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-01pluy7.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-01knuba.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-01f6ueo.jpg

Ah so not bigger but more complex, that's even better. But still I'd love to see multiple cities at least, more diversity. Like how Deus Ex HR had different cities.

Either way the world'll be fine. CDPR knows their stuff. The only thing I'm worried about is the FPV as it's something completely new for them and I'd like to see my messed up character rather than not.

Map size ? i don't care

Game systems ? Yes please, I wish the game would be shorter than W3 but have more replay value as in a replay Fallout New Vegas way, with drastic changes in RP, skills & perks, and gameplay

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
So it's not a game, it's a job.

Innolis

I loved the witcher 3 but I honestly wanted them to get it out of the way so they can focus on cyberpunk!

The wait for this one is going to be hard T_T

I really think interpreting "bigger" as literally just "map size" is missing what he's saying. "Bigger game" implies game systems, content, and production requirements. A bigger project.
I hope you're right. I can't imagine a cyberpunk game in which I'm ever not in a city. And a city as big as the Witcher 3's world sounds ridiculous even for a cyberpunk megalopolis.
Anyway. This is my most anticipated game ever. Cyberpunk is my favorite subgenre for fiction and I still don't feel like I've gotten a game that scratches the itch yet.

Danneee

Sounds great, here's to hoping that they'll include some cool vehicles. An Akira style motorcycle would be awesome.

This game is one of my most anticipated, even though it's not going to be here till like 2018.

I wonder if it's going to be more open-ended since it's derived from tabletop.

SomTervo

God...honestly that sounds awful. Games need to be getting smaller with packing more missions and variety of story in it than simply making the world ridicously huge. The Witcher 3 is already so huge for a game.

smaller [games] packing more missions and variety of story

The idea here is that, potentially, we can have:

bigger games packing more missions and variety of story

We can have our cake and eat it, too, ultimately. We can have gigantic worlds with fantastic mission, gameplay and story variety, too. The Witcher 3 pretty much delivered on this already, imo, but I bet they'll do even better with Cyberpunk.

Pacnyc

Neo Member
Could be a bit before we see it. Even the teaser trailer from 3 years ago says it will release when it's done ha. But I'm willing to wait for something that seems ambitious.

Courage

I'd normally be concerned, but CDPR proved that they can handle a bigger world and make it interesting throughout the entire course of a game. Not one moment during my Witcher 3 playthrough did I want it to end.

ArjanN

I really think interpreting "bigger" as literally just "map size" is missing what he's saying. "Bigger game" implies game systems, content, and production requirements. A bigger project.

it could also be map size. I mean, in a a cyberpunk setting you're not riding around on a horse. If you have a car or helicopter type vehicle you could travel around much faster.

hichanbis

Banned
Bigger than TW3

Who wants that?
TW3 was already too big.

It's really time we go back to interesting well narrated games rather than stupidly pushing this open world trend further and further.

I am of no illusion that Cyberpunk will both be bigger and smaller than Witcher 3. It will be smaller in horizontal size of the smallest Witcher 3 region, but will definitely make it up with its vertical size.

In other words, Witcher 3 is considered big due to its large country side regions, while Cyberpunk will be considered larger due to the skyscrapers.

Boggles the mind why they revealed this game when they did. Publishers/developers announcing a game too early is practically a disease at this point.

This kind of reveal does not hurt anyone (except gamers).

They didn't promised shit, just showed they have a new, interesting project in the pipeline that will be a sci-fi RPG.

Not a disease IMO. I am happy to know CDP is working on a game that will excite me.

Omega

Banned
well thats disappointing.

i used to love open world but im so tired of it now. it still has potential but developers just make the world bigger and throw more pointless tasks on the map

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
it could also be map size. I mean, in a a cyberpunk setting you're not riding around on a horse. If you have a car or helicopter type vehicle you could travel around much faster.

Definitely, I just don't think that's specifically what he's referring to here. Just that Cyberpunk 2077 is a bigger game in production scope and demands, which can mean many things.

SomTervo

I am of no illusion that Cyberpunk will both be bigger and smaller than Witcher 3. It will be smaller in horizontal size of the smallest Witcher 3 region, but will definitely make it up with its vertical size.

In other words, Witcher 3 is considered big due to its large country side regions, while Cyberpunk will be considered larger due to the skyscrapers.

Excellent point. Could be really interesting, though in my experience too much verticality can really confuse the player's experience of the level design.

Fury451

Banned
All I think after reading this is "it'll run much much worse on PS4 too"

:(

Guess it's time to start building a PC to go with consoles.

Fucking NeoGAF. Only here would you find knee-jerk reactions about how CDPR should focus on packing more content in their huge games, while at the same time their games have too much content.

Kei-

when i think cyberpunk i think vertically. high towers with a bazillion floors. not a large sprawling city. and yes, always night.

when i think cyberpunk i dont think a large world map that i have to scroll endlessly through. I think incredibly dense urban cities with skyscrapers, neon, smokey stuff everywhere and it's never daytime.

Don't forget the rain. Lots and lots of rain...

aravuus

Please not bigger, make it more concentrated and better.

My immediate thoughts also, but reading this thread reassured me a bit. I'm fine with more complexity and mechanics and.. Whatever. Just don't make it literally bigger than TW3, that game's too long for my taste as it is.

e: Wouldn't mind a bigger story, though. Not longer, but bigger in scope. TW3's is fun too, but I'm not sure if I really care about looking for Ciri that much.

Really happy they're going with a more complex universe rather than just a bigger map.

Seriously, we're at a point tech-wise where devs should start building their worlds with systems and AIs in place to create those living, breathing worlds where things happens around you without your involvement. Not just pre-done scripted events and animations but actual behaviors.

I'm hoping the game has player-created characters, as it'd lend itself to more replays.

While I'll inevitably go through all of W3 again to get all the DLC stuff done, and quests I missed, I'll always be Geralt and always be doing mostly the same stuff in terms of the narrative.

I'd love to see what CDPR can do with a more open narrative than that, which allows for different characters taking very different paths.

jesu

The name Cyberpunk to me suggests the game will be set in a large city or perhaps cities.
I doubt there will be an open world the size of the Witcher 3 involved.

I can imagine the threads in the future when game world doesn't turn out to be bigger than The Witcher 3.
So much gnashing of teeth and pre-orders getting cancelled because this article was misinterpreted by some people.

Top Bottom