• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red Emergency Board Call Recording Online: Refunds, Multiplayer, More

harmny

Banned
what's happening here es clear as day. CDPR launched the game in this awful on purpose state because they wanted everyone to talk about the game and how bad it performs but nobody is talking about the blatant transphobia racism and bigotry the game offers. which is basically an alt right training camp.
- Polygon
/s

CDPR are primarily PC developers - that's their bread & butter since the days of using the Aurora engine. I suspect their experience with Witcher 3 - their first and only console title, lest we forget - led them to massively overestimate how much they could cram on the 1.4TB boxes that came out in 2013/14.
Technically it's their second, The Witcher 2 came out on 360.

Also what do they mean by the next gen versions are on the shelf? Why not release it now!? Wtf!?
It's just an odd way of saying that the next-gen versions are shelved, I.E. all work on them is on hold for the time being.

Last edited:

Hugare

From "most customer friendly developer" to something worse than EA or Activision

"Not paying attention" to the consoles versions (70% of its users base), not showing footage before release because they know that its downright unplayable ...

They really thought that lieing to customers would be worth it in the long run?

Good luck trying to make bank again with their next game preorders. Also completely fucking their reputation.

What the hell happened at CDPR, man ...

Vae_Victis

Banned
Get a decent PC or a next-gen console, if you want to play a next-gen game on a last-gen console you're asking for it to run like crap, there's no way around it. People are just entitled lately, the bugs maybe are inexcusable but performance and visuals? I still remember buying Half-Life 2 on a regular XBOX, it played like crap but all that mattered to me was finally playing the game, not sure why people expect miracles.
This is not 2004 anymore when anything and everything went because nobody knew any better, these consoles are not a goddamn GameBoy Color, and Cyperpunk 2077 is not some ungraspable alien technology.

If on the old consoles it had jaw-dropping, never-before-seen visuals I could at least understand where the compromise was made, but to me it really doesn't even look all that better (especially because of the low resolutions and horrendous TAA) than a dozen other games already available, which also run much better than this.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Technically it's their second, The Witcher 2 came out on 360.

It's just an odd way of saying that the next-gen versions are shelved, I.E. all work on them is on hold for the time being.
Ooh ok. So we definitely shouldn't expect it till like April at the earliest probably. I wish they would've asked about witcher next gen version

mckmas8808

Banned
If you ever need to convince an idiot who supports the 'last gen holding back next gen is a lie' meme, this is the game to show.

Thank you, CD Project. Thank you for making our point.

1000% this! My god to the people that thought these new consoles weren't going to be a true upgrade.

GHG

Gold Member
If you buy something for your console, you should expect it to be playable. That is not being entitled, that is just the standard way of buying goods work.

It's also the same price.

It's easy to sit there and say "oh but the consoles are 7 years old so what do you expect". If that's the case then they had the option to cancel the PS4/Xbox One versions of the game in favour of going full steam ahead with the PS5/Series X versions.

Lister

Banned
They should have focused on the PC Version and released a solid one in December. They would have still made their entire development budget back. In 3 months, they could have released the next gen console versions, again, solid releases and that would have been all profitt, and then in the summer release the heavily cut down last gen version (I don't think even poor performance would be cared much about by then and on those platforms), and that would have ben pure profit, not to mention the continued PC and next gen console sales that would come up as people upgrade and want a showcase title to test their new GPU's and consoles with.

Instead the social media and critical discussion around the game has turned poisonous, and the good will for their company has gone down the toilet. IMHO heads should roll at the top.

Last edited:

ForestVSea

Still the best studio in the industry. I'll be there day 1 for whatever they do next.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a masterpiece on PC and the first real peek at what next-gen gaming can do.

YpbyGXg.png

mckmas8808

Banned
From "most customer friendly developer" to something worse than EA or Activision

"Not paying attention" to the consoles versions (70% of its users base), not showing footage before release because they know that its downright unplayable ...

They really thought that lieing to customers would be worth it in the long run?

Good luck trying to make bank again with their next game preorders. Also completely fucking their reputation.

What the hell happened at CDPR, man ...

To be fair, they had no choice once they decided to continue working on the PS4\XBO versions. They should have dropped those systems like a bad habit.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
WTF?
Is she retweeting this to gloat?
She just got fucking hired to be in the game?
WTF? At least if you are hired by them, shut up and let them ride the storm out.

You want to be the retard woke chick that throws your employer under the bus for quick clicks?
Ok, good luck.

Jesus christ man calm down lol

She was paid for her likeness, the company that paid her released a product that most people are considering a fraudulent scam for consumers which she had no control over.

A "holy shit" at a bad review makes her woke? lol

dorkimoe

Lol “Multiplayer is tentatively scheduled to release in 2022, but could be pushed to 2023”

it’ll never see the light of day

Lister

Banned
"They should focus on PC only..."

Sure and give up all these preorders?

I think they would have taken a hit, but not by much. Most console gamers would have kept their preorders even with an announced console delay. Some would have gone with the Pc version instead (and PC accounted for the majority fo the preorders anyway), and some would have cancelled but probably picked it up later, especially if the talk surrounding it would have been: "Great RPG! Awesome graphics!" instead of "Runs terrible, looks ugly, it's buggy as hell and the company behind it tried to scam us!".

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
"They should focus on PC only..."

Sure and give up all these preorders?

Well maybe people shouldn't pre-order?

And AFAIK, any money for pre-orders doesn't get released to the publisher until the day of release.

The right thing for them to do would have been to cancel the last gen versions. The Xbox One version runs sub 720p and still drops to 13fps (with an average of 22fps). Where do you even begin to try and fix that?

IntentionalPun

I think they would have taken a hit, but not by much. Most console gamers would have kept their preorders even with an announced console delay. Some would have gone with the Pc version instead (and PC accounted for the majority fo the preorders anyway), and some would have cancelled but probably picked it up later, especially if the talk surrounding it would have been: "Great RPG! Awesome graphics!" instead of "Runs terrible, looks ugly and it's buggy as hell".
The Christmas season is massive particularly for console games.

There's a reason the EA's and Ubisofts of the world release most of their big games in that time period, and the period leading up to it.

Does it totally kill your sales not to? No.. but the combo of hype + christmas is greater than just hype. And it seems pretty clear that CDPR also might have had a lot of financial pressure to pay back investors sooner than later.

Last edited:
Who's to blame here? The gamer for pushing for a release, or CDPR for falling prey to the demand?

Personally, I'm going with the latter. CDPR should have stuck to their guns. Delayed til Spring 2021. The game is great, and would be a masterpiece if not for all the bugs. Good thing CDPR is known for applying fresh coats of paint to their IP's.

I dodged a bullet not buying this on my next gen console, feel sorry for those who were so excited and bought the game on last gen. They're basically left holding the bag if this is any indication. Now with consoles selling out like they are, if they don't have it now, they may end up waiting until February anyway to get their hands on a playable copy.
They are on vacation till late febr. You can wait for the bugfixes till the summer 2021😉

Hugare

To be fair, they had no choice once they decided to continue working on the PS4\XBO versions. They should have dropped those systems like a bad habit.
Yes, they could/should. But money talked.

And they also could have spent more time with optimizations before launch like, you know, they are going to do now until February

But the best option would have been to develop the game with last gen as the base for it. Like every other developer in the world does.

They had so many better options, and decided to choose the worst one. Their reputation is completely fucked in the consoles space.

Such an idiotic decision, to throw your reputation in the trash for immediate gains.

ethomaz

Banned
I think they would have taken a hit, but not by much. Most console gamers would have kept their preorders even with an announced console delay. Some would have gone with the Pc version instead (and PC accounted for the majority fo the preorders anyway), and some would have cancelled but probably picked it up later, especially if the talk surrounding it would have been: "Great RPG! Awesome graphics!" instead of "Runs terrible, looks ugly, it's buggy as hell and the company behind it tried to scam us!".
It is buggy as hell on PC too.

It just there you can brute force graphics and performance with top hardware.

Last edited:

Lister

Banned
The Christmas season is massive particularly for console games.

There's a reason the EA's and Ubisofts of the world release most of their big games in that time period, and the period leading up to it.

I don't get your point. Are you trying to say that what happened is preferable to having delayed the console version of the game?

'cause that sounds crazy to me.

ethomaz

Banned
Well maybe people shouldn't pre-order?

And AFAIK, any money for pre-orders doesn't get released to the publisher until the day of release.

The right thing for them to do would have been to cancel the last gen versions. The Xbox One version runs sub 720p and still drops to 13fps (with an average of 22fps). Where do you even begin to try and fix that?
The reason they released it rushed in on Dec 10.
See the first thing they did was to ASAP release the PR news about 8 million preorders... they did not even expected the confirmed sales due the board pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Lister

Banned
It is buggy as hell on PC too.

It just there you can brute force graphics and performance with top hardware.

First, it's not as buggy on PC, though, yes it's still buggy.

And that's because they were simultaneously trying to get this thing to fit on 7 year old hardware AND on brand new consoles. My point is that they should have focused on PC first. Gotten that to where they wanted it to be, THEN ported to consoles. The next gen consoles would have probably been an easy port, and then just release last gen when it was cut down enough not to shit the bed.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I don't get your point. Are you trying to say that what happened is preferable to having delayed the console version of the game?

'cause that sounds crazy to me.
No for sure not; but I think CDPR also had a bunch of pressure from investors.. the game was in dev for like 8 years, which means they probably took on loans 8 years ago from people expecting a return 2-3 years ago lol

They might have been facing some sort of financial penalty even if they waited longer.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yes, they could/should. But money talked.

And they also could have spent more time with optimizations before launch like, you know, they are going to do now until February

But the best option would have been to develop the game with last gen as the base for it. Like every other developer in the world does.

They had so many better options, and decided to choose the worst one. Their reputation is completely fucked in the consoles space.

Such an idiotic decision, to throw your reputation in the trash for immediate gains.
Exactly.

They should have delayed the game to April 2021 and work to put a good product on the market.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
WTF?
Is she retweeting this to gloat?
She just got fucking hired to be in the game?
WTF? At least if you are hired by them, shut up and let them ride the storm out.

You want to be the retard woke chick that throws your employer under the bus for quick clicks?
Ok, good luck.
employer? what are you on about? she had a cameo in the game like Kojima. Is Kojima a cd pr employee now?

She is an influencer. If anything, her doing this is a GOOD thing. you dont want influencers sweeping shit under the rug after being used by companies.

ethomaz

Banned
No for sure not; but I think CDPR also had a bunch of pressure from investors.. the game was in dev for like 8 years, which means they probably took on loans 8 years ago from people expecting a return 2-3 years ago lol

They might have been facing some sort of financial penalty even if they waited longer.
That is exactly what I think.

They were desperate to tell investors about the 8 million preorders.

Bkdk

Cyberpunk on pc is still an overall enjoyble experience, just disappointing. One thing is that I'm tired of waiting so long for a game with 0 real improvement in terms of gameplay to be released, if that's the case then they need some assembly line production staff like ubisoft does, that's to make them stick to their early planning and time schedule and able to pump out game a lot quicker, at this point they should just cut out 70% of the world and side gig missions and just focus on the branching storyline and immersion that they are good at, set the development window in 3 years and stick to it. No more 3+ years wait please.

• Thoughtful

GHG

Gold Member
The reason they released it rushed in on Dec 10.
See the first thing they did was to ASAP release the PR news about 8 million preorders... they did not even expected the confirmed sales due the board pressure.

Yep they wanted that money in the bank before the end of the year for whatever reason.

But then it begs the question, did it need to be 8 million pre orders? Say they delayed the console versions and only released the PC version and there were 2 million pre-orders on that platform, is that still not a healthy chunk of money to continue moving forward with?

Everything stinks of greed.

Lister

Banned

I don't think the game was in full development for 8 years. More like 4. I don't think it went into full production until after Witcher 3. But ultimately they should have said no and warned the investors that if they did, this would happen.

GHG

Gold Member
Cyberpunk on pc is still an overall enjoyble experience, just disappointing. One thing is that I'm tired of waiting so long for a game with 0 real improvement in terms of gameplay to be released, if that's the case then they need some assembly line production staff like ubisoft does, that's to make them stick to their early planning and time schedule and able to pump out game a lot quicker, at this point they should just cut out 70% of the world and side gig missions and just focus on the branching storyline and immersion that they are good at, set the development window in 3 years and stick to it. No more 3+ years wait please.

Honestly I'd be ok with this because everything outside of the main quests and side-quests makes the game worse rather than enhancing the experience.

Last edited:

Lister

Banned
Yep they wanted that money in the bank before the end of the year for whatever reason.

But then it begs the question, did it need to be 8 million pre orders? Say they delayed the console versions and only released the PC version and there were 2 million pre-orders on that platform, is that still not a healthy chunk of money to continue moving forward with?

PC had the majority of the preorders anyway. If anything the numbers would have gone up for PC if the consoles would have been delayed. They would have still made bank and would have no problem making bank on the other platforms because the narrative around the game would have been positive, instead of positively toxic, like it is now.

ethomaz

Banned

I don't know but I think the board will never approve to get rip off ~3.5 million preorders.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I don't give a fuck about peoples experiences playing this on a BASE last gen console.

You've had 7 years to buy a new console. Fuck off with catering to last gen and release the NEXT GEN patch immediately.

My PS5 shouldn't be giving me the same damn experience as a PS4 pro just with higher res.

Fix the damn thing on next generation.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
  • 21 or so minutes in, the CEO says they plan to let the Cyberpunk team rest "until February". (good, the actual developers deserve a ton of rest after what their management team has done)
  • Multiplayer is tentatively scheduled to release in 2022, but could be pushed to 2023. Depends on how long it takes the development team to actually finish the game (referring to the planned DLC's & expansions) as well as fix what was and is currently being sold to customers.
In other words, gamers will probably get shitty patches.

Let's be honest, who's going to really give a hit about 2077 MP in 2022 or 2023?

What a paradox we have here. CDPR doesn't have the manpower to release CP2077 on 6 different platforms (PS4, PS4P, PS5, XB1, XBX, PC). If they grew in size enough to accomplish such a task, surely some of the small team magic that makes their games great would be lost.

I think it would almost be better for them to contract the ports out to another developer and just make the PC versions going forward.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I don't think the game was in full development for 8 years. More like 4. I don't think it went into full production until after Witcher 3. But ultimately they should have said no and warned the investors that if they did, this would happen.
I don't disagree, and they probably don't either now. (although TBH we really don't have all the facts)

I do think a PC release with a console release later would have still resulted in high console sales; but it would have cut into them.. or at least made the game more expensive to market.

We don't know if they had any sort of deal where they couldn't do that though; possible Microsoft had a contract that made sure the Xbox version came out the same day as the others for instance.

You would think that with GOG + Withcher 3 they'd be rich as fuck, but they are definitely acting like a company with a lot of financial pressure. Not hiring any 3rd party QA? Doing everything in-house? EVER thinking at any point that April would have been possible?

Could just be bad management, people being impatient, and no REAL financial issues.. but it sure do act like a company who has a gun to their head.

• Thoughtful

Buggy Loop

This

I think, a good 1 to 2 years back, if they had dropped the old gen consoles support, there might have been some backlash but it would quickly have been forgotten, and they would not be wasting ressources trying to run this game on fucking jaguars with a 2012 GPU.

But i'll say this, if CDPR's silence on the console footage and performances was not a huge red flag ⛳, i don't know what to tell you. Get your refund now. I don't believe any amount of patches can lift this up back to a normal experience.

ethomaz

Banned
PC had the majority of the preorders anyway. If anything the numbers would have gone up for PC if the consoles would have been delayed. They would have still made bank and would have no problem making bank on the other platforms because the narrative around the game would have been positive, instead of positively toxic, like it is now.
That is not how business works.

The action to cancel 3.5 million pre-orders will make you lose sales that were already guaranteed.
Not everybody will go to PC pre-order.
Not everybody will buy the game again (because they got mad).

You have already 3.5 million guaranteed sales... the risk in any business to lose part of them is big if they had to cancel it.

A Delay for more hate people will be should generated less lose of these preorders than massive cancellations.

Last edited:

K.S v2.0

Banned
As polish... this is the most polish sentence "They also state earlier in the call there was limited QA testing done on the game, it was all done "in house" and no experienced third party contractors were used. CDPR employees played iterative builds of the game in their homes due to the pandemic and that's how they tested the game. "

Polish companies are so cheap, they would 100% ask devs to beta test themselves in home for free in their time. I absolutely see this...

You could almost say that's why the games lack... polish! 😎

Top Bottom