• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt says Cyberpunk 2077 performance has reached ‘a satisfying level’

sertopico

I saw a guy showing the 'performance improvements' with his 5950X + a 3090 and it was getting around 40FPS when driving around the lifeless city that is Night City.

What a total joke when you've got games like GTA V that has a decent population in the city with details and actual simulated weather systems that affect all the drivable vehicles in the game including wind simulation for all the aircraft.

Meanwhile Cryberwank 2069 can barely run basic NPC & traffic without having to despawn them when you look aware for a second.
Every game spawns and despawns stuff on the fly. And really, gta v did not shine when it came to npcs and cars density. It was actually quite underwhelming, gta iv did much better, specially on PC. But it also ran like shit on consoles.

Hinedorf

Banned

‘a satisfying level’​

e39d3aV.gif

fuck-you.gif

Last edited:

TastyPastry

You have some reading problems? They said that performance reached satisfying levels (from what I saw quickly jumping through DF video it's pretty much 30fps), not game state.

you're right in general but cdpr like to make vague statements like this that in the end turn out to mean something else.
"we updated the npc ai [...[ all living their lives in a full day and night cycle"
"the most believable open world city in games yet"

don't forget the scene in the trailer where they talk about how you can spend your money in night city and the trailer showing the 1 minute jackie cutscene with all the fun stuff that never happens in the game.
so i wouldn't put it past them to abandon the game and move on to witcher 4 after doing the bare minimum for cyberpunk 2077.

Zeusexy

Then I guess they didn't play it on pc because it still runs like shit. One of the worst optimized games I've ever seen and basically unplayable without dlss.

nowhat

"we updated the npc ai [...[ all living their lives in a full day and night cycle"
I remember the first time I played a game with a full day and night cycle - the shopkeepers would go to have lunch and later home to sleep, you could loot their shops at night if you could pick the lock, but better not be seen or otherwise the guards would come after you (not magically appear behind you though).

It was Ultima V on a C128, 1988. Yes, Cyberpunk is much more advanced in many ways, but come on.

Sentenza

I remember the first time I played a game with a full day and night cycle - the shopkeepers would go to have lunch and later home to sleep, you could loot their shops at night if you could pick the lock, but better not be seen or otherwise the guards would come after you (not magically appear behind you though).

It was Ultima V on a C128, 1988. Yes, Cyberpunk is much more advanced in many ways, but come on.
Funnily enough, I think Ultima pretty much invented advanced NPC scheduling tied to day/night cycle, and in many ways games like Ultima VII are STILL the golden standard about it in many ways, with very few titles in the following years rarely even approaching that degree of complexity (Gothic 1 and 2, Arcanum... The list is very short).

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Just tried playing this again with 1.23, given up after a few hours. Quite frankly the entire game is just half backed, its worse than than average Ubisoft title and overstay it's welcome, giving you the same missions over and over, with only two ways to do it. Guns Blazing & Broken Stealth.

The game is easily a wide as the ocean and deep as a puddle. People keep calling this an RPG but there is a reason CD Project removed everything mentioning that aspect.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Let’s also not forget that Cyberpunk 2077 also legitimately failed to meet some of its own expectations. Dialogue options ended up not leading to quite as wide an array of outcomes as the CDPR seemed to imply they would, and most of the better action sequences take place in scripted moments rather than out in the wild, and most of them will be encountered regardless of which life path you choose. That’s not to say the game isn’t a massive, sprawling world full of different ways to experience it, but at the same time, it’s not the revolution in open-world games that many feel they were led to believe it would be. No number of patches can really change this. But the most egregious part of all of this is the fact that the expectations of the game and thusly CDPR are now much lower than they used to be. Their next game, whatever that is, will now be met with the trepidation and hesitation that Cyberpunk 2077 probably should have had.

All of that said, the game certainly has its strong points and sets the bar for its genre in a number of ways. As it continues to receive patches and get closer and closer to its proposed vision, the brighter spots of the game’s interesting world and vast array of things to do will become all the more evident, while its various blemishes continue to fade ever more into smaller and smaller pockets of the experience. It’s a good thing that we have patches for situations like this, and it’s a good thing that the game is still ultimately in very capable hands who are more than able to fix its various issues, but overcoming the damage done to the games’ and CDPR’s reputation will prove to be the heaviest lift of all.

Top Bottom