• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt: Worth $1 billion, 100 devs on Gwent, GOG Galaxy as uPlay?, more

boskee

CD Projekt has posted its quarterly results for Q2 2016. They have exceeded analysts prognosis by 32%. As a result, their share price has jumped, making the company worth more than $1 billion.

Revenue in Q2 2016: 319 million PLN ($82 million)
Net profit in Q2 2016: 134,7 million PLN ($34.7 million)

According to the company's strategy, their aim is to generate a net profit of 618.4 million PLN between 2016-2019, 855,5 mln PLN between 2016-2020, or 1.09 billion PLN between 2016-2021.

Since the beginning of the year, CD Projekt's share price has increased by 67%.

Full results can be found here: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/result-center/

Other interesting information:

- GOG Galaxy is working for CDPR: they have sold more addons to the Witcher 3 than the main game itself last year.

- Galaxy will be used for online features in CDPR games going forward. Gwent will be powered by Galaxy (which has built in cross-play support).

- Most of the revenue generated by the Witcher 3 addons was included in Q1 report.

- Game development spending amounts to around $3.75 million per quarter.

- CDPR wants to prepare Gwent for e-sports market.

- 100 developers work on Gwent, including the entire marketing team.

- No plans for mobile Gwent at this stage, although "CDPR like mobile"

- Final release expected few months after the start of the closed beta

- CDPR is on a hiring spree - currently 104 job offers on their website.

- GOG is expanding to Brazil

- Gwent will be distributed in China by GAEA

Robiin

Started from the bottom now we here.

This is their whole booth at E3 2004, with one PC with a prototype of The Witcher 1.

cd-projekt-red-e3-2004.jpg

Im not a big fan of the witcher but i love stories of developers rising up with good business practices
👏👏👏

Guess they can afford to pay decent wages now?
One big benefit of being based in Poland is a much lower living cost and thus lower wages. Honestly surprised more studios aren't moving to that part of the world.

Or have they not been paying their staff reasonably for that part of the world?

Good stuff CDPR. To think, The Witcher started life as a PC only RPG in prolonged dev hell, being built on the ORIGINAL NEVERWINTER NIGHTS ENGINE(!). Now it's a multi-million selling powerhouse that made home on all platforms.

GOG seems to be doing better then last year, even though 2015 had W3. Guess the expansions have helped a lot, but I imagine some of that is new customers who came on board for W3 and stuck around.

Now if they could only sort out their approval process for Japanese developed games. :/

Dinjooh

One big benefit of being based in Poland is a much lower living cost and thus lower wages. Honestly surprised more studios aren't moving to that part of the world.

As far as I've seen and heard there's nothing wrong with their wages, and they're above similar job positions in Poland seeing as they attract talent from all over the region.

DemWalls

If I remember those infamous Glassdoor reviews correctly, wages were never much of a problem, especially for foreign developers. Good bonuses too.

The real problem was crunching.

Speely

Banned
Now let's see Cyberpunk 2077

I still cannot believe that this game is being made by this publisher. It's like some industry fan fiction shit I would day dream about. Sorta like "What if Obsidian made a huge Dune game?" Need it in my life.

Good job, CDPR! What a rise.

Audioboxer

But I heard offering meaty DLC content costs so much money these days? I thought their season pass content would bankrupt the company.

I must now go and rethink all the season passes I furiously buy that contain 30 minutes of content (of which reused assets <3) and a few skins.

Theorry

Shows that being open to your customers, meaty game, good post launch support, no weird DRM and pre order stuff also can be succesfull.

Jumeira

Banned
Big money on consoles, well done CDPR. Fully deserved, still trying to get through the DLCs. Attention to detail and quality of writing is above and beyond most games, unbelievable talent .

Oh, and post launch support builds tremendous goodwill with your fan base, they'll happily hand over cash knowing they're being respected and surprised. CDPR W3 support is excellent, I'm still noticing small changes that enriches the experiece, UI overhaul has changed my motivation to experiment with attire, alchemy and crafting.

Coreda

Guess they're safe from big publishers buyout now.

Iwinski has said there has been a steady line of offers but they want to remain independent. Good interview with him here about it where he talks about how when the studio was in deep financial trouble years ago no one wanted to help them, so now they're more successful he feels it was a good lesson.

He also touches on a number of things related to that such as the difficultly in including even simple things in the physical copies like the CDPR thank you letter, something they couldn't do in the past to to publisher disagreements.

Absolutely deserved success.

Living costs and wages are not the only factors considered when looking to relocate your business lol. CD Projekt just happened to be in Poland and the majority of their staff are also from there.

Incredible and well deserved, I've been a big fan of the Witcher series since their first game!

I'm really looking forward to seeing Cyberpunk 2077.

Rozart

Oh my god! Those are some impressive numbers!

Genuinely happy for them! I love seeing great devs being rewarded with great success.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm not a fan of CD Projekt as game designers - I bought Witcher 3 and played it a fair amount, and it doesn't do much for me -, but it's undeniable that they're passionate people, and GOG.com is one of the best things to happen to PC gaming.

Way to go, Poland!

Kuni

This is great news. Just shows you that you can succeed in this industry without following the cookie cutter paths of microtransactions and rubbish dlc. Congrats CDPR!

Are you saying it's possible to have a soul and not try and screw over consumers at every opportunity and still be successful?

Chris_C

This is their whole booth at E3 2004, with one PC with a prototype of The Witcher 1.

That's their booth in Kentia, right? I remember seeing The Witcher and.. Eolven(?) in '05 and thinking the latter was going to be HUGE!

It really is incredible how they've managed the growth and quality improvement of their company. Should go out as a message to other publishers to cultivate and build up a brand rather than expecting a mega-hit put the gate.

DevilDog

So happy to hear this! I hope more companies follow suit.

Now please put some of that money to make a good combat system :(

Top Bottom