• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt's market value continues to grow, now worth over $1.6 billion

They already have 2 teams - 1 working on C2077 and one building Gwent, but they want to have 2 more in the long term.

I've been theorizing that Witcher 4 is in pre-production and has been for a bit now. I'm pretty sure that is the 2021 AAA game. During one of their conference calls they kinda hinted at it saying something like "a game their fanbase would be familiar with" or something along those lines.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I've been theorizing that Witcher 4 is in pre-production and has been for a bit now. I'm pretty sure that is the 2021 AAA game. During one of their conference calls they kinda hinted at it saying something like "a game their fanbase would be familiar with" or something along those lines.
I personally Hope they'll start their own completely original IP where we'll be able to see how good they are at creating something new with out being in any way limited in story,characterization and setting from someone else's previous work.

boskee

There never was one. Their meetings about restructuring were preemptive to prevent the possibility of future hostile takeover attempts.

Yup. They saw what Ubisoft was fighting and insured themselves against similar problem. They passed the poison pill at their shareholder meeting in early December.

I personally Hope they'll start their own completely original IP where we'll be able to see how good they are at creating something new with out being in any way limited in story,characterization and setting from someone else's previous work.

I'd be down for that as well, but you also have to think about the business side of things. Witcher 3 was an enormous success for them the likes of which CDPR have never experienced before. And for a ton of people it's the first Witcher game they've ever played.

Witcher 4 would do enormous business for them, and is far too safe a bet to just let go.

Oh, I see. I just remembered seeing something about that a while back. Looks like I just misread it.
Yeah, someone saw what they were doing and recognized it as the type of moves you make to fight off a hostile takeover. A couple days later they put out a statement that it was purely preventative.

boskee

I'd be down for that as well, but you also have to think about the business side of things. Witcher 3 was an enormous success for them the likes of which CDPR have never experienced before. And for a ton of people it's the first Witcher game they've ever played.

Witcher 4 would do enormous business for them, and is far too safe a bet to just let go.

Unlikely to happen. They've stated their strategy is to acquire established IPs and build their games based on them.

Yeah, someone saw what they were doing and recognized it as the type of moves you make to fight off a hostile takeover.

That would be me :) I posted a thread o gaf about it and people starting overblowing it and writing erm... fake news... about EA and what not.

This kinda makes me sad, and I hope it isn't true. CDPR haven't been particularly safe so far. They kept pushing themselves forward like no other developer, and I'd hate for that to stop now that they've found their pedestal. I love TW3, and the franchise in general, but I really hope that after CP77 they'll do something of their own. Or at least not something in TW's world again. They have a ton of creativity there. Utilize it for something new. Something that isn't a safe bet.

I also hope they'll pull a Fallout 4 with CP77 and reveal it only when we're 6 months or so from certain release.

This is just based on my personal opinion.

It feels like the Fromsoft situation with Dark Souls series. Said they would be done, but a slight hint that it's just a long hiatus. Which is fine, a huge long break from witcher series, then a year or so after Cyberpunk is out maybe release a teaser about 4(which would allow enough time for any new IP to be known about) and everyone would loose their shit.

It was way to big of success to just stop doing ever again.

Keep in mind Witcher 3 was the first Witcher game for the majority of people. It's sold already more copies than Witcher 1 and 2 combined. So it would be pretty unfair for all those people that just experienced this Universe for the first time to not give them another game. For the majority of consumers Witcher 4 would only be their 2nd Witcher game

Luxorek

As a Polish guy, music to my ears. I hope Cyberpunk 2077 turns out great and they can continue to grow.

Surprising amount of people on the internet still think CDPR is some kind of small developer in the boonies. Maybe that view can finally change.

keraj37

As a Polish guy, music to my ears. I hope Cyberpunk 2077 turns out great and they can continue to grow.

Surprising amount of people on the internet still think CDPR is some kind of small developer in the boonies. Maybe that view can finally change.

I'm polish too and also am very proud of them. This is what great leadership means in this industry - means more then in others.

I know what I am talking about as I had been working in many dev teams and in many cases really bad leadership destroyed the company from the inside.

I hope one day CDP, CDP Red and GOG will be on same level with Activision in terms of influence and financial status. They deserve it.

7roject28

I'm happy they finally got Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom on GOG. I remember voting on that game for them to bring out a few years ago.

i-Lo

Gagging on GOG

Also, I hope their next project reflects their increased value. Cyberpunk 2077 is my most anticipated game and I am beginning to wonder if it would even see the light of day on this generation of consoles.

notacat

Wait, the Wiki says Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be on XBO/PS4. Is that right?

I was under the impression it was still largely under development, and had more than a few years to go, possibly making it more of a launch title for the next console generation.

Exentryk

Good to hear. Them making more money means they can spend more making the wonderful games they make for us to experience.

Also, I hope their next project reflects their increased value. Cyberpunk 2077 is my most anticipated game and I am beginning to wonder if it would even see the light of day on this generation of consoles.

Releasing on next gen would mean bettter hardware, so they can be even more ambitious with the game.

frontovik

Banned
Very well deserved. Their ethics and values makes them a leader in a competitive industry.

I hope its competitors do not get any funny ideas.... EA.. ActiBlizz.

Super happy for them.
Not only becuase of the witcher series, which im a HUGE fan, but also for the amazing work theyve done with GoG.

The future couldnt look brighter for them.

Yeah France is really the outlier here. And then it is probably the UK that has the biggest concentration of talent studios.

Italy, Spain, Greece and Portugal are big markets but also don't have a lot of big studios.
I can think of MercurySteam (Spain) but that is about it.

Taleworlds is Turkish but that is not really "europe" in the traditional sense.

Spain had/has Mercury Steam, as you well said, and Dinamic Multimedia (now FX Interactive) and Pyro Studios. Dinamic went under in 2001 and resurged as FX Interactive (only makes PC Futbol and Imperium, and acts more as a PC publisher) and Pyro (the studio that created commandos) does shit mobile games since the Planet 51 movie fiasco.
And has a bunch of smaller indies with some distributors, but its all a huge mafia and lots of backstabbing, just like our politics. We are never going out of the hell hole we created.
Doesnt help building a studio here is expensive as hell with taxes, even with zero profit, when in other countires is cheap or free.

antonz

Wait, the Wiki says Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be on XBO/PS4. Is that right?

I was under the impression it was still largely under development, and had more than a few years to go, possibly making it more of a launch title for the next console generation.

2077 will likely be a Current Gen console game by the time it releases though it could be a Pro/Scorpio only game of course. They also have a 2nd RPG scheduled to be released by 2021. Whatever Mystery RPG is will be based on Nextgen I'm sure

Next gen probably won't even be out yet when this releases, and even if it is, they're not delaying this another 2 years to develop for it. Even pessimistically, I can't see this missing Spring 2019, which is the year I expect the PS5 to come out.

notacat

2077 will likely be a Current Gen console game by the time it releases though it could be a Pro/Scorpio only game of course. They also have a 2nd RPG scheduled to be released by 2021. Whatever Mystery RPG is will be based on Nextgen I'm sure

Sweet, I have high hopes!

It could be that, in line with the mention of their plan to acquire IPs and put them to use, it may be something they feel their fans (say, as fantasy fans) would be familiar with even if CDPR haven't directly touched it before. Think of it as similar to how Sony knew their hardcore fanbase would go nuts for Shenmue 3, even though Shenmue has never been on a Playstation system, or Nintendo getting Cloud into Smash Brothers despite Final Fantasy VII specifically not being on the Nintendo console of its era.

Great news, GOG is growing which bodes well for extra support. I hope more support is given for new games from the big publishers. Galaxy client can be good too when the updates come.

Snefer

To be fair I think one could argue that there are already more/bigger developers in eastern(which is actually central, but whatever) than western europe.

Poland has CDProject Red, Techland, 11bit Studios, City Interactive(they produce budget games, but those are still fairly well known), Flying Wild Hog, People Can Fly, Reality Pump(Two Worlds).
Ukraine has 4A games, Frogwares and Ubisoft Kiev.
Czech republic has 2K Czech, Warhorse Studios, Bohemia Interactive.

What does Germany have? Nothing really aside from the failing Crytek and mobile / adventure studios.

France is strong though. And the North, which I wouldn't qualify as "western europe" however.

Germany have a whole bunch of mid-tier studios + the whole simulator genre aswell. And I guess you count sweden as the north then ^^ Sweden have a shitton of studios.

Top Bottom