• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC: US obesity rates plateau since 2000, but shows no signs of decreasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMufasa

zkZL8.jpg

source

Very clever cover.

Wthermans

Banned
Unfortunately it's a tenuous link at best:

Southern states like Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Georgia have some of the highest percentages of black residents in the country. Blacks are generally more impoverished than the average American. People living in poverty are more likely to be overweight and/or obese. In general, you could ignore racial demographics and just observe that these states are among the poorest in the country on average, and that poverty is clearly correlated with obesity.

At the same time, these states are much more rural than many other states in the country. People in more sparse, rural areas often don't have access to a Metro system or public transportation such as buses. This means they're more likely to drive to work. These southern states are generally more rural and have smaller metropolitan centers, so more people commute for work.
The bolded just blows my mind. Goes entirely against base logic that the poor would be the most likely to be obese. (Yes I know it's due to unhealthy foods being cheaper than healthy foods, but that's just so ass-backwards).

This, every time I see a fat kid with their parents I'm like, what the hell is wrong with you people (in my mind obviously)

Sometimes I feel bad about selling them food at my work since it's bad already and they don't need anymore of it, but alas. I live in Houston and see a ton of overweight/obese people every day and feel sad for them when they come in and eat at the schlotzskys I work at. :/

Mmmmm. Schlotzky's. I wish we still had those here. :( Best sandwiches evar.

venne

Perhaps the government will stop subsidizing shit food.

Probably not, the pigs feeding at the tax payer/debt trough make certain to pay it back to the politicians in the form of campaign contributions.

If the current food policy/public health situation doesn't make you think that the US government is in bed of big business, I don't know what will.

cajunator

Banned
The bolded just blows my mind. Goes entirely against base logic that the poor would be the most likely to be obese. (Yes I know it's due to unhealthy foods being cheaper than healthy foods, but that's just so ass-backwards).

Mmmmm. Schlotzky's. I wish we still had those here. :( Best sandwiches evar.

Well, I'm not wealthy by any means, but I can afford to drink somewhat expensive teas and various exotic fruits and vegetable snacks and homemade meals, which are quite healthier, but much more expensive than a Mcdonalds BigMac or whatever. I would imagine if I was more broke I would resort to doing the same as many people. Most of them dont do it because its enjoyable, they do it to survive.

Wthermans

Banned
Well, I'm not wealthy by any means, but I can afford to drink somewhat expensive teas and various exotic fruits and vegetable snacks and homemade meals, which are quite healthier, but much more expensive than a Mcdonalds BigMac or whatever. I would imagine if I was more broke I would resort to doing the same as many people. Most of them dont do it because its enjoyable, they do it to survive.

Exactly. Most people barely have enough time to pick up their kids from daycare after work, much less cook a full meal for their family before it's 8:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom