• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC warns against vaping after mysterious spike in lung illnesses

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
People have been vaping for a long time. I suspect some of these incidents might be because of all the new shit people are trying to mod their formulas and whatnot. Especially if it introduces inorganic oils into your lungs.
For how long though? Smoking for ten years usually does not lead to any easily detectable life-threatening consequences. Let's see if this is linked to specific stuff, but "people have been doing this for a couple of years already" is not a good argument for its safety.

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
If these instances are black market THC cartridges apart from nicotine vaping, why isn't that a good argument?
It's not a good argument in isolation, because the alternative, smoking, is something that shows its desastrous effect usually after 20-50 years, not after 10. So people having done it for ten years is not a good argument for its safety, independent of whether this specific issue is one with illegal THC carts.

bryo4321

Aug 17, 2019
My health advice is: Do not do drugs. I feel it is a more all-encompassing and even safer advice than CDC's.
What if I get sick?
we're all gonna be dead soon, get as much outta life as you can

fuck a girl on molly and transcend the matrix
ive never wanted to bang on molly. It makes me feel more like I’m her dad and I need to tuck her in for bed. Lmao.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Tesseract

Winter John

Mar 9, 2014
You mean to tell me that inhaling some mystery shit that turns your body into a dry ice machine might not be a good idea. Well, who'd have thought it.

Nymphae

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
You mean to tell me that inhaling some mystery shit
I don't understand this notion, I get this a lot from my mom. "You don't know what's in those things!", but we do, this isn't the 1920's with cigarettes. And it's actually pretty simple compared to the myriad of chemicals found in a cigarette. For nicotine vaping at least, you're just getting some mixture of PG and VG medium, which as far as I know are both very common ingredients and considered safe for consumption by the relevant regulatory bodies. Other than that you are getting flavourings, which are again very common and considered safe for consumption, and then the nicotine.

If we want to talk about the long term effects, sure, the jury is still out and I'm very interested in how it pans out. But we're starting at a different place than with cigarettes, there were a lot of very well informed and intelligent people saying yeah, based on what we're looking at here this would appear to be far healthier than smoking cigarettes. It's not "some mystery" shit.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
I think a lot of people just get tired of hearing smug people tell them a completely obvious fact, it's condescending.
You can do certain things in moderation and still be very healthy. I saw Phish in CO a couple years ago and the people there are certainly higher than the people in Wisconsin, but my God are they in much better shape. Weed is way better for you than alcohol. But don't vape weed oil.

Reactions: Nymphae

Winter John

Mar 9, 2014
I don't understand this notion, I get this a lot from my mom. "You don't know what's in those things!", but we do, this isn't the 1920's with cigarettes. And it's actually pretty simple compared to the myriad of chemicals found in a cigarette. For nicotine vaping at least, you're just getting some mixture of PG and VG medium, which as far as I know are both very common ingredients and considered safe for consumption by the relevant regulatory bodies. Other than that you are getting flavourings, which are again very common and considered safe for consumption, and then the nicotine.

If we want to talk about the long term effects, sure, the jury is still out and I'm very interested in how it pans out. But we're starting at a different place than with cigarettes, there were a lot of very well informed and intelligent people saying yeah, based on what we're looking at here this would appear to be far healthier than smoking cigarettes. It's not "some mystery" shit.
Heh. This entire post is exactly the same type of denial talk I remember from when the methadone clinic opened. Oh, it's not as bad as heroin. It's a cleaner high. Nothing at all like that junk you dirty needle freaks use. We'll be totally safe on our nice, pure, regulated government drugs.. Heh.

You should listen to your mom son. She's talking sense. You don't know shit about what's actually in them things and you don't know shit about what they'll do to your health. Despite what it says on the label.

Paracelsus

Jun 24, 2007
I don't know what this is all about, I can only speak for me.
I've only ever smoked cigars, the ones you can cut in half, mostly half of those on a daily basis, and only during my late 20s and early 30s.
At the end of Summer of 2018 I bought a 200w mod, an 8ml tank and started vaping. I made my own juices but it was all legit, no weird black market trash.
I vaped a lot, hours a day.
Last winter I went out on Sunday morning to do stuff, came back after a couple hours, took a morning nap, when I woke up I had 40°C fever and pneumonia that took me down for well over a week with some level of coughing I don't think I've ever had in my whole life, like someone was punching my chest while I was coughing.
Maybe one of those things that happen after you hit 30? Probably, I just thought that was weird, the worst that happened in winter while I smoked it was a slightly sore throat.