• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC warns against vaping after mysterious spike in lung illnesses

A lot of information coming together about vaping.

All those Dank, Monopoly, Dabwoods, SmartCarts, Supreme, Brass Knuckles, etc. are fake carts but the Oregon case is scary because it was a legally purchased THC cart.

There is also a case of a young lady who vaped nicotine juice having health problems.

It's almost like our natural bodies that have evolved over millennia prefer natural things that have also evolved with us. Strange.

Most likely, but the reality is that there are at least 9 million people in the country who use these products including a lot of children. Are we ready to go the route of Michigan and ban them altogether? Will that create a black market? It's a scary scenario.

Most likely, but the reality is that there are at least 9 million people in the country who use these products including a lot of children. Are we ready to go the route of Michigan and ban them altogether? Will that create a black market? It's a scary scenario.

You usually can't save people from their own ignorance and/or self-destructive tendencies. I have no solution - only observation. :p

Last edited:
You usually can't save people from their own ignorance and/or self-destructive tendencies. I have no solution - only observation. :p

That's kind of ignorant and short sighted. A lot of these people are kids. If you're saying there is no need to try and get kids from using these products because they're ignorant, well what can I say? You're just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole? Cool story.

That's kind of ignorant and short sighted. A lot of these people are kids. If you're saying there is no need to try and get kids from using these products because they're ignorant, well what can I say? You're just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole? Cool story.

Lol. I just have no delusions of grandeur. I'm not trying to save the world. You are free to wring your hands if you like though.

Nymphae

Banned
I want to know more about the specifics of the users. I'll be looking into this, I vape heavily.

But, I vape mine at 9.5 watts which is laughable to most of the Vaping scene - I am simply using it to get the nicotine throat hit and be able to exhale a very modest amount of smoke. I wonder if inhaling roomfuls of vapour with each puff is having any more of an effect on people.

Edit: Half of that first article is simply about exploding ecigs - generally a user error and not exactly a health scare. But the lung disease thing is mildly worrying.

Last edited:
But, I vape mine at 9.5 watts which is laughable to most of the Vaping scene - I am simply using it to get the nicotine throat hit and be able to exhale a very modest amount of smoke.

There was mention of people who vape right onto the coils. Is that what you're talking about? I would assume the hotter the juice gets the more byproducts it produces.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
The video in the first link talks about propylene glycol reactions in the lungs being the prime concern... makes sense I guess. But that makes the title a bit... sensationalized. Whatever though.

Nymphae

Banned
There was mention of people who vape right onto the coils. Is that what you're talking about? I would assume the hotter the juice gets the more byproducts it produces.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Yes I would imagine the hotter it is the more potential for byproducts but I'm not certain. People vape it at higher temps to get more clouds I believe, I don't care for that at all, I just want a minimal temperature and smoke. The trend is the exact opposite - I actually have a hard time finding the items I build my rig with because the entire industry caters to either disposable type shit, or high end building and mid range stuff that is geared towards "sub ohm" vaping (more temp and more clouds)

NickFire

Not certain, but I don't think so. The products from the juice just depend on the ingredients. But, your premise probably applies to the coil.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Yes I would imagine the hotter it is the more potential for byproducts but I'm not certain. People vape it at higher temps to get more clouds I believe

From what I've heard (reddit mostly) a lot of users vape above the coil wattage to get the bigger clouds of vape and THC users dab right on the coils for more THC. I thought that was what you were referring to.

I'm assuming (hoping?) this is all specifically talking about concentrates and vape cartridges and not dry herb Vapes like the Pax right? Right?!

Nymphae

Banned
From what I've heard (reddit mostly) a lot of users vape above the coil wattage to get the bigger clouds of vape and THC users dab right on the coils for more THC. I thought that was what you were referring to.

Oh I don't know, I'm sure idiots are doing that with their rigs. I build my coils myself, and I build them to what is considered high resistance in the community - I build them at like 1.5 ohms, and my rig is firing at 9.5 watts. Gives me a moderately slow draw and a bit of "smoke" - I was trying to emulate smoking as closely as I could. People like to get sub ohm coils and do like 200+ watt rigs so they can blow literal clouds which is retarded I think.

I'm assuming (hoping?) this is all specifically talking about concentrates and vape cartridges and not dry herb Vapes like the Pax right? Right?!

Thankfully, yes. Dry herb vaporizers are safe from all of this. I've been using a VaporBros for 15 years now. It seems this 'chemical lung' is due to the ingredients used in nicotine, THC and CBD oil. I'm right there with you man. Although, I have used a few THC carts in the past and know a LOT of people who currently use them.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I want to know more about the specifics of the users. I'll be looking into this, I vape heavily.

But, I vape mine at 9.5 watts which is laughable to most of the Vaping scene - I am simply using it to get the nicotine throat hit and be able to exhale a very modest amount of smoke. I wonder if inhaling roomfuls of vapour with each puff is having any more of an effect on people.

Edit: Half of that first article is simply about exploding ecigs - generally a user error and not exactly a health scare. But the lung disease thing is mildly worrying.
Ween off it. That's what I did and it was embarassingly easy.

After smoking for almost 20 years with many failed attempts at quitting behind me, all it took was a year of vaping and it was over. I've had not one single craving since. Been off for two years now.

I started with vae juice similar in strength to the cigarettes I'd been smoking. Then I started to gradually thin out the juice with nicotine free juice. Did that for about three months, and then I vaped nicotine free for about three months. I put it down after only having some juice left that tasted like shit, and it was just as simple as that. Surprised myself.

Thaedolus

Lol. I just have no delusions of grandeur. I'm not trying to save the world. You are free to wring your hands if you like though.

It’s not delusional to think that a positive change could be made through x, y, or z. The end goal isn’t some perfect solution but something that improves on the status quo. Most of the time people shitting on solutions as imperfect have nothing better to offer, which isn‘t helpful at all.

Thankfully, yes. Dry herb vaporizers are safe from all of this. I've been using a VaporBros for 15 years now. It seems this 'chemical lung' is due to the ingredients used in nicotine, THC and CBD oil. I'm right there with you man. Although, I have used a few THC carts in the past and know a LOT of people who currently use them.

Thank fuck. I stopped smoking cigarettes a few years ago and about six months ago figured "why am I still smoking bud" and picked up a Pax 2. Game changer man. I don't want to ever go back.

Nymphae

Banned
Ween off it. That's what I did and it was embarassingly easy.

After smoking for almost 20 years with many failed attempts at quitting behind me, all it took was a year of vaping and it was over. I've had not one single craving since. Been off for two years now.

I started with vae juice similar in strength to the cigarettes I'd been smoking. Then I started to gradually thin out the juice with nicotine free juice. Did that for about three months, and then I vaped nicotine free for about three months. I put it down after only having some juice left that tasted like shit, and it was just as simple as that. Surprised myself.

I find it a bit harder than that. I've been vaping for like 6 years now. I use a dripper rig because a) it's way easier to build my own coils and setups, and b) dripper flavour has no equal. I can't handle how bad nearly all tank setups taste, you can ruin a premade coil head so fast. Drippers are more work in a way, but better payoff (I buy less supplies than most vapers, and the flavour is way better).

I started on 24mg nicotine, which on a dripper rig is kind of crazy. Slowly over the years I've brought that down to 8mg. I want to keep going lower, but I'm just not sure I can cut this habit out of my life yet.

It’s not delusional to think that a positive change could be made through x, y, or z. The end goal isn’t some perfect solution but something that improves on the status quo. Most of the time people shitting on solutions as imperfect have nothing better to offer, which isn‘t helpful at all.

I understand that point of view, sure. There's always a fire to put out somewhere.

I suppose I just look at things from a broader perspective. I'm not focusing on this isolated narrow issue. We're always looking to fix things that are problems, and that is obviously a normal thing to do. I just see the endless recurrence of problem/solution/problem and find myself at ease with the "troubles" of life and society - even my own - of which there are plenty. Things are always changing, but whether they are better or worse in those transitions is entirely subjective. From my perspective, things just change. Not better or worse - just different. We're never going to conquer our problems because when we have solved one thing, that solution will generate problems of its own. I guess that makes me quite passive towards things, and I know that I am.

I don't want to get into a broad philosophical discussion because that's where I can see that I'm headed. I sometimes struggle to focus on the micro picture. I'm not intending to derail the focus of the thread.

Yes, let's fix things. Hopefully those who are affected can avoid further issues with these devices/chemicals.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I tried to quit tobacco using e-cigs awhile ago but they made by lungs feel worse. I did successfully quit cigarettes but I can't imagine these are good for your lungs. Setting aside the chemicals used in the juice, you're injecting a few milliliters of atomized fluid into your lungs every day.

cv6GPeRbvlS0Vp9zVSu954nhxtR.jpg

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I find it a bit harder than that. I've been vaping for like 6 years now. I use a dripper rig because a) it's way easier to build my own coils and setups, and b) dripper flavour has no equal. I can't handle how bad nearly all tank setups taste, you can ruin a premade coil head so fast. Drippers are more work in a way, but better payoff (I buy less supplies than most vapers, and the flavour is way better).

I started on 24mg nicotine, which on a dripper rig is kind of crazy. Slowly over the years I've brought that down to 8mg. I want to keep going lower, but I'm just not sure I can cut this habit out of my life yet.
You've already made massive steps though. I find it helps to just do a little by little, and not necessarily have a firm deadline in mind. That never worked for me. I put it down the last time a bit surprised because it wasn't planned. Suddenly I didn't need it anymore.

Just keep lowering, if it ends up being too mucj, just dial back.

Dural

This seems sensationalized. What it sounds like is a bad batch of “unofficial” thc carts. Need to legalize so this stuff is tested and safe.

A buddy of mine bought some JUUL pod knockoffs from China to make some money off of. I joked at the time he had no idea what they put in the China pods and someone was going to die from it, maybe I wasn't far off. :messenger_grimmacing_

Nymphae

Banned
I roll joints with RAW papers, I can't stand the way vaping weed tastes. I may quit vaping one day, but you'll never take away my fatties. No joke I am probably better at rolling joints than literally anything else I do. Which is kind of sad lol.

This seems sensationalized. What it sounds like is a bad batch of “unofficial” thc carts. Need to legalize so this stuff is tested and safe.

This was my initial thought. But there have been a couple cases where the person supposedly only used nicotine juice and the case from Oregon involves a person who bought a legal THC cart from a dispensary. This is what scares me the most.

PORTLAND, Ore. – Public health officials in Oregon said Wednesday that a person who recently died of a severe respiratory illness had used an electronic cigarette containing marijuana oil from a legal dispensary, the second death linked to vaping nationwide and the first tied to a vaping product bought at a pot shop.

Officials have not determined what sickened the middle-aged adult, whether the product was contaminated or whether they may have added something to the liquid in the device after buying it, said Dr. Ann Thomas with the Oregon Health Authority.

Thomas declined to name the brand of the product or the dispensary during the investigation and said it’s the only case of vaping-related illness or death in Oregon that authorities know about.

Lucumo

A buddy of mine bought some JUUL pod knockoffs from China to make some money off of. I joked at the time he had no idea what they put in the China pods and someone was going to die from it, maybe I wasn't far off. :messenger_grimmacing_
Why just China?

I tried to quit tobacco using e-cigs awhile ago but they made by lungs feel worse. I did successfully quit cigarettes but I can't imagine these are good for your lungs. Setting aside the chemicals used in the juice, you're injecting a few milliliters of atomized fluid into your lungs every day.

Congrats on quitting! I agree 100% with you about vaping. But how many people do you know that maintain it is actually ok for you? You know what I'm saying? It's crazy.

I've been looking at a PAX for a while now.

As someone who has been smoking weed for decades now it has really stepped it up a notch. Much more efficient, four different heat settings allow you to start low and dial up the heat to extract as much as you can. Then once you're done the marijuana has been fairly decarboxylated meaning it can be mixed with something fatty like peanut butter and eaten like an edible and still get effects.

It's amazing how much flavor is destroyed when burned. Since legality has come about in Canada it's opened the market for all these different verified strains and the flavors I've experience....hngggggg. Lemon Skywalker and it's lemony zest. Maui Mango and it's....mango-yness. On and on and on. I never fully understood the power of terpenes and their complexities until I started hitting the dry vape.

Nymphae

Banned
But how many people do you know that maintain it is actually ok for you? You know what I'm saying? It's crazy.

Never heard anyone claim that is is "ok" for you, I think most people understand that inhaling anything other than air on a daily basis is going to potentially have some effects. Most people are fine with this, the important thing is that we believe it to be substantially less damaging than cigarettes, and I think there is good reason to believe they are.

Never heard anyone claim that is is "ok" for you, I think most people understand that inhaling anything other than air on a daily basis is going to potentially have some effects.

I don't know, man. I've heard quite a few people tell me it's just water vapor. Even now, I mention some of these illnesses and guys just don't want to hear it.

Tesseract

Banned
little baby virgin lungs shouldn't be vaping

you know that feeling you first got when you toked a joint and coughed until you died? imagine vaping being the first time you do that, and run off from there

there will be deleterious effects (to say the least)

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I don't know, man. I've heard quite a few people tell me it's just water vapor. Even now, I mention some of these illnesses and guys just don't want to hear it.

Well they're retarded, their own bottles of juice refute them lol.

I mean yeah no one wants to hear that the magic replacement for smoking they've taken up might be just as harmful - I was just talking to my boss about this news and yeah he instantly takes this defensive stance and is refuting things I say before I even say them lol.

I mean yeah no one wants to hear that the magic replacement for smoking they've taken up might be just as harmful - I was just talking to my boss about this news and yeah he instantly takes this defensive stance and is refuting things I say before I even say them lol.

That's what I'm talking about. They don't even want to hear it. They may be retarded, but like I said, a lot of them are kids.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Congrats on quitting! I agree 100% with you about vaping. But how many people do you know that maintain it is actually ok for you? You know what I'm saying? It's crazy.
Quite a few people I know maintain that it's safe. I work in an IT/tech environment where it seems like vaping got an early start. Knew a lot of coworkers who nerded out about best batteries, best coils, best temperature, best juice blends, joined the subreddit to discuss, etc. There are also a lot of weed smokers in IT/tech and so there was already an acceptance of ingesting your drug of choice via means outside smoking.

You'd think that free access to information (via the internet) would make these same folks more knowledgable, but alas. 🤷‍♀️

Pimpbaa

I was tempted to pick up a few THC concentrate cartridges due to it's convenience, but I guess I'll just stick to my dry herb vape.

Top Bottom