• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR CEO on a possible sequel to The Witcher 3

As many of us expected, Wild Hunt is the end of Geralt's story, but probably not the end of the franchise.

http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=419

During an interview with a Polish TV station after The Game Awards:

It's too early to talk about it, but it's not like we're forgetting about this brand. It wouldn't be fair to the fans. We've worked in this universe a dozen years now and I don't think it's going to be the end of it.

I want Geralt to come back. I'm not interested in any other character taking over the franchise. I don't care if they have to deviate from the books in order to make it happen.

Nice. Hopefully we play as someone entirely new and it takes place in Kovir, so we can see what Geralt & Triss are up to.

Denton

I want Geralt to come back. I'm not interested in any other character taking over the franchise. I don't care if they have to deviate from the books in order to make it happen.

They don't have to deviate from the books since the game take place after the books already. And yes, I agree, I want to play as Geralt again.

I expect TW4 in 2021.

Damn that's a long time.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Maybe by the time 4 is out I'll own the hardware necessary to play all of 1-3.

I'm at "1 and 3" now. Dammit, 2. Dammit.

Maximo

Seemed obvious they were going to keep making Witcher games, it just won't have Geralt as the main antagonist.

I just want them to focus on Cyperpunk now.

Since its their next game..that seems obvious, they probably have tons of Concept art and possible ideas to make another Witcher game just not their main focus for now.

It's not impossible for the franchize to move forward with two different characters (considering the possible endings of Witcher 3)

Also, games don't shy away from telling an origin story so anything could happen.

I would love to see another Witcher, 3 was amazing and one of my favorite of all time.

CHC

I'm ready for Cyberpunk - between the Witcher III and it's incredibly meaty DLC, I'm extremely satisfied.

I wouldn't mind playing as Ciri at some point later, but I'd like it if she were older and had a new VA. She was a little too plucky for my taste, especially if she were to be the protagonist of a 100 hour long game.

Denton

Geralt is a good protag but his story is finished.

Maybe do a prequel if you want him to come back?

I don't understand this logic.

"His story is finished"

I mean, technically, his story was finished. In the books. CDP created new stories.
Now another of his story arcs is finished. So CDP can create new ones.
I would love to visit Brokilon or Kovir as Geralt. Or Cintra or Nilfgaard.Or...

I want them to take a break from The Witcher for a while anyways, maybe try to explore other genres with it (they've been doing that somewhat recently). Since they have a fair amount of leeway with the story they could place whatever the next mainline game is wherever they want in the timeline.

Witcher 4 in like 4 - 5 years or so sounds amazing. Have it be a early next gen title.

And have a set protagonist. None of those create a character crap. The reason Witcher series has such amazing storytelling is its a set character with his own motives and history. If we have to say goodbye to Geralt *tear* then we need someone equally as amazing to replace him, not just some generic face.

Meaty

IMO Young
er
vessemir and his quest to avenge his fallen brothers.

Prequel plz, a sequel with the same characters would be too hard with all the different outcomes of witcher 3 and I really want to see the same cast of characters since I really grew attached to them.

dr_rus

Yeah, The Witcher without Geralt is like Uncharted without Drake. Possible but what's the point? Better to create a new IP instead.

I'd like to see Geralt as the protagonist - come now, he IS the Witcher the books and the game are about.

It's not that hard to think of a new story involving him and his friends in some other part of the Northern Kingdoms or Nilfgaard, a story that has nothing to do with the three existing games and story.

I would absolutely play a Ciri game. Or a Triss game. Or Yen, or Zoltan, or... oh shit, a motherfucking ROCHE GAME! Shut down production on Cyberpunk, CDPR; we need to talk.

notrlytho, I'm very much looking forward to the glorious Cyberpunk future. Feel free to loop back around to the Roche game whenever you're ready.

iNvid02

The thing is, if Cyberpunk 2077 is planned for 2017, i'm expecting it in 2018 cause delays. Then if a new Witcher is planned for 2019 or something then I'm expecting it 2020/21.(that feels weird to type out)

yeah that could still fit in line with the theory, since they will start after blood and wine ships in 2016. so 4 years from next makes it 2020.

Forkball

Geralt is tough to replace. Anybody you put in his shoes will automatically be compared to him and will probably not fare well. One idea they could use is that you play as a created character, and you have more freedom to shape your backstory and personality.

Or make a Witcher game starring Vlodimir from Hearts of Stone.

jesu

I'd like to make our own character.
You could be a Witcher or a Sorceress or a wizard or a soldier.
Whatever fits in with the book.
Different skill trees for each class.

UrbanRats

Gonna get shit for this, but I want character creation for Witcher 4.
And yes, you can tell a great story with a custom character, still.

sirap

If i'm honest, I wouldn't mind a prequel. I like the idea of
Geralt settling down with Triss/Yennefer
. Dude's lived a long life, he deserves it.

Gonna get shit for this, but I want character creation for Witcher 4.
And yes, you can tell a great story with a custom character, still.

You can tell A good story sure. But you will get nothing compared to the deep character interactions you get in Witcher 3. Nowhere even close. The game would suffer hugely from it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't understand this logic.

"His story is finished"

I mean, technically, his story was finished. In the books. CDP created new stories.
Now another of his story arcs is finished. So CDP can create new ones.
I would love to visit Brokilon or Kovir as Geralt. Or Cintra or Nilfgaard.Or...

Maybe they dont want to tell more Geralt stories.

Ultimadrago

It doesn't have to be Ciri, but I don't want a sequel for Geralt. And I love the character more than you, sitting at home.

Let mah boy rest.

Dinda

I want either a Ciri Game, or one that let's you create your Witcher which would probably be my preferred option, since that way they are more free to shape the character, and we can still have the others as side Characters.

Top Bottom