• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR Confirms Witcher 3 Update for XBX and PS4 Pro

Great news. I look forward to replaying the game once the patch is released.

Meh. I played the PS4 version and it did look good.

I've recently played it again on pc at 1440p 60fps with the stim mod and it looks amazing. The 60fps adds so much more than the resolution though.

At skeliage and burnt out for now cba playing it.

Now I gotta force myself to play games until the X1X comes out. I am halfway thru the Witc her 3 and knowing this is coming makes me wanna wait....

thelastword

Banned
Thelastword, post if you're ok.

I will hold you to that, when the Scorpio remaster emerges....

Obviously if they do a scorpio remaster, they will have no choice but to do a PRO patch as well, but it's something I expect we will see when the Scorpio debuts....Dont forget, this game had a marketing deal with and for the XB1/MS...So a slighlty better looking scorpio version of Witcher 3 over the PRO is right up the alley of said deal/partnership..

Heh, Witcher 3 was better on XB1 for quite a while on debut for weaker hardware. I think this guys honor their marketing deals/partnerships quite a bit.....

I already called this months ago, nothing surprising here.

thelastword

Banned
Guys you are not getting 60fps on PS4 Pro. Probably not X1X either.

Don't set yourselves up for disappointment. Just hope for a more stable framerate and an IQ boost.
It depends on the settings.....People keep bringing the CPU up, but the Witcher 3 is more GPU bound than CPU bound..At this point, these consoles can run this at 1080p unlocked 60fps..It will run at a more consistent 60fps with a few settings toned down obviously So yes, I can see a 1080p 60fps mode and a 2160CB/1800p 30fps mode on PRO.

I'm guessing checkerboard to 1600p (1800p if we're lucky) on PS4 Pro @ 30fps

Native 2160p / 4K @ 30fps on Xbox One X

The CPUs are too weak to handle 60fps, even with XBOX.

Both should get some visual enhancements.
At 30fps the PRO can do 2160CB....I don't think the disparity between the consoles is large enough that you will have checkerboarded on PRO and native 4k on XB1X...At least not CB below 2160CB,,,,,, I can see 1800p non-cb on pro vs 2160p on XB1X...Come to think of it, I can even see 2160CB on PRO vs Native 4k on XB1X, but in that scenario, the pro will have the performance advantage and IQ will be pretty indistinguishable.

ubiblu

Currently replaying Witcher 3 GOTY on my PS4 Pro and still blown away by how great it looks / plays. I've made it as far as Skellige but will obviously hold off playing it again for a while. Hoping for 60fps at same graphical settings, or improved terrain density.

Hawk269

Thank fuck, but I hope they don't wait for the X1X to release to drop the Pro patch.

Can you imagine the rage and crying that would happen if that is the case. I mean look at the other thread when people thought it was just a Xbox One X patch.

I think the other meltdown will be what differences will happen between the Pro and X version and then people complaining that MS paid off CDPR to make the Pro patch inferior to the Xbox One X patch.

Can you imagine the rage and crying that would happen if that is the case. I mean look at the other thread when people thought it was just a Xbox One X patch.

I think the other meltdown will be what differences will happen between the Pro and X version and then people complaining that MS paid off CDPR to make the Pro patch inferior to the Xbox One X patch.

You do have a point there. I don't think it will happen but will people cry if X happens to have not only a 4K resolution but also 4K assets?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I already beat the campaign and hearts of stone, but I've yet to beat Blood and Wine. I'll definitely hold off for the Pro update now.

I Wonder if next to native 4K they can even bring some other visual improvements in addition to it and maybe keep that framerate stable all the time as well? Or is that asking too much?

Zyae

If you're expecting 30fps to 60fps upgrades on Pro and X then you're going to be very disappointed.

Both CPUs are ~30% better than their predecessors. Not enough to jump a game from 30fps to 60fps.

There is one game on Pro that's gone from 30fps to 60fps, suggesting the game was GPU-bound.

GPU = resolution
CPU = framerate

These consoles are designed for higher-res and providing stabler framerates, not jumping from 30 to 60.

Or maybe the engine is just shit, or they didnt put in enough to make it 60, or they want parity because its a multiplayer game. They should be able to push destiny at 60fps 1080p

edit: Also Framerate is not CPU bound, the GPU is the main component behind Resolution and Frame rate.

Best announcement of E3. Given the PS4 already has next to no drops from 30fps, I'm assuming this will mean just a res bump on the Pro, but some enhanced graphical effects would be nice. Is the PC version doing cool stuff that the PS4 isn't, apart from frame rate?

deadfolk

To someone who has played all three games: how much is carried over from W1/W2 saves on PC?

I played the first two and have just started the third on the same save. Now, though, I'm tempted to wait for that 4k goodness on X1X or Pro.

I have to stream the game via Steam, so there's no PC 4k for me.

PSlayer

Or maybe the engine is just shit, or they didnt put in enough to make it 60, or they want parity because its a multiplayer game. They should be able to push destiny at 60fps 1080p

edit: Also Framerate is not CPU bound, the GPU is the main component behind Resolution and Frame rate.

That depends! For each frame, you have to make calculations like AI and physics(and other things that are traditionally made by CPU.) If you double the framerate,now the CPU has to do ~2X as much calculations in the same timeframe...which is ok if your CPU has power to spare but when your CPU is weak and is probably already struggling to do those calculations 30 times per second,it will become a bottleneck.

In those cases, it doesn't matter how powerfull the GPU is or what resolution you're rendering,the CPU is holding the framerate back.

And the evidence is pretty clear,most games that run at 30fps on OG PS4 are not running at 60fps on pro.

It depends on the settings.....People keep bringing the CPU up, but the Witcher 3 is more GPU bound than CPU bound..At this point, these consoles can run this at 1080p unlocked 60fps..It will run at a more consistent 60fps with a few settings toned down obviously So yes, I can see a 1080p 60fps mode and a 2160CB/1800p 30fps mode on PRO.

Yeah. No.

Xb1 and PS4 already had heavily culled NPC densities, shadow render distance, and render distances on console to maintain a 30 fps budget. I seriously doubt they culled those heavy settings from PC for GPU reasons (settings that we know affect CPU performance in the PC version).

Cincaid

I have the GOTY edition in my backlog for my Pro, might as well keep it there until this update is out. Hopefully I don't have to wait for the One X release.

X-Frame

How does Horizon compare to Witcher 3 in terms of CPU usage? If Horizon can do 2160p checkerboard at 30 fps, is it safe to assume Witcher 3 could also hit that?

Or is Witcher 3 more CPU demanding? More NPC's, more cities and towns, etc.

Carn82

How does Horizon compare to Witcher 3 in terms of CPU usage? If Horizon can do 2160p checkerboard at 30 fps, is it safe to assume Witcher 3 could also hit that?

Or is Witcher 3 more CPU demanding? More NPC's, more cities and towns, etc.

I would argue that Witcher 3 is more complex; bigger and a bit more varied scenery; more items/objects to track, etc. Do have to say that it runs a solid 30fps on PS4 Pro (with boost mode), so I'm sure that there is some overhead to play with.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I was hoping there would be some news on this. I don't want to have to wait for Xbox One X before the Pro patch comes out.

I was hoping there would be some news on this. I don't want to have to wait for Xbox One X before the Pro patch comes out.

But it may very well be the case and you're just gonna have to accept it my friend, if that's the case of course. Let's be happy a patch is coming to the systems at all. It sure seemed like it wasn't going to happen anymore since the good folks at CDPR are hard at work on Cyberpunk but man, if one game deserves such a patch it's W3.

I'm just gonna expect a resolution bump and that's great, anything extra would be sweetness.

Frostman

You should expect the patch day and date with the X. Anything sooner is a bonus. I just can't see them pushing the patches out at different dates.

Shin

Banned

It's stupid that this is happening, yet community isn't outspoken about it, instead CDPR is getting praised.
They are delaying PS4 Pro's patch to be fair to Xbox community or something, that's just plain silly.

Unfortunately, it was never likely that they were going to talk or release the patch before the X comes along. So we will probably have to wait until closer to November for updates. For all we know this is more than just a resolution bump and could be a full-blown Enhanced Edition.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
But it may very well be the case and you're just gonna have to accept it my friend, if that's the case of course. Let's be happy a patch is coming to the systems at all. It sure seemed like it wasn't going to happen anymore since the good folks at CDPR are hard at work on Cyberpunk but man, if one game deserves such a patch it's W3.

I'm just gonna expect a resolution bump and that's great, anything extra would be sweetness.

Hopefully they can adjust some other sliders as well such as LOD, draw distance, anisotropic filtering, etc.

Boke1879

It's stupid that this is happening, yet community isn't outspoken about it, instead CDPR is getting praised.
They are delaying PS4 Pro's patch to be fair to Xbox community or something, that's just plain silly.

Who cares? PS4 Pro users are getting the patch. If anyone is still interested they can go back and play W3.

True Fire

Of course they're being praised. They announced a year ago that they weren't supporting Pro at all, and they're literally going above and beyond to deliver this to us.

Diablos

If constant 60fps on pro isn't doable, Maybe try for a 4K 30fps option and then a 40-60 fps 1080p option, like FFXV. Seems possible?

Top Bottom