• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR Confirms Witcher 3 Update for XBX and PS4 Pro

pottuvoi

Banned
If you enlarge the uncompressed 12 mb image from earlier, as pottuvoi points out, you can see the edges and aliasing on geometry line up with the pixel grid 1:1. So that stuff is at least 3840X2160 in these stills. Some 2d elements like trees and vegetation are noticably chunky and whatnot, but as pottuvoi points out, they are probably just using a low mip bias, either because of an oversight or because that is actually rather "expensive" at 3840X2160 in a game like TW3.
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-mipmap-bias-performance-v104-640px.png
Foliage certainly looks interesting, I thought that if it's just mipmap we shouldn't see alignment with pixel quads perfectly as each sprite can move freely, so I made following image.
Clicky

To my surprise screen facing sprites seem to have 2x1 pattern for most of the image and fit pretty much perfectly to quads.
Half horizontal resolution for them seems likely.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Patches too Big: "Oh No my Data! Damn devs with These huge patches"

Patches too Small: "Oh No! This is bad. Like really bad and Not promising"

Patch size being too small is one of the most ridiculous complaints I've ever read.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Patch size being too small is one of the most ridiculous complaints I've ever read.

It's insane. Especially when the results are quite good. This isn't like the first Pro patch for The Division which just slightly improved shadows and reflections or Overwatch which just put on a 4k HUD.

Patches too Big: "Oh No my Data! Damn devs with These huge patches"

Patches too Small: "Oh No! This is bad. Like really bad and Not promising"

Was merely saying it seemed small to me. Had no idea that didn't matter much though. I even said my bad. :)

And as I said I barely followed news on any other Pro patches because I don't have a Pro. Plus you won't see me complain about big patches.

LifEndz

I was expecting more (some?) visual performance options with this patch, but based on what I’m reading in here it sounds somewhat substantial.

I wonder if it’ll be a more robust patch for Scorpio.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Besides resolution, increased foliage and shadow draw distance will have the most visual impact on a game like this, I think. I hope they have bumped up the sliders for those a bit.

Ushay

I'm guessing Digital Foundry will be waiting for 1X before doing a comparison video.

Damn November is going to be busy for them.

Anyone done a pixel count for the Pro patch?

I'm guessing Digital Foundry will be waiting for 1X before doing a comparison video.

Damn November is going to be busy for them.

Anyone done a pixel count for the Pro patch?

Nah. Digital Foundry don't wait

They get as many videos out of something as they can.

Rosur2a

Haven't played through my PC version of the Witcher 3 yet but thinking I'm gonna see how the X version turns out hoping it will do 4k 60fps and HDR (will be happy if only 30 though) rather than play it at 1080p on my PC.

Haven't played through my PC version of the Witcher 3 yet but thinking I'm gonna see how the X version turns out hoping it will do 4k 60fps and HDR (will be happy if only 30 though) rather than play it at 1080p on my PC.

4k 60fps and HDR? I think you are out of your mind!

People are saying 4K/60 isn't even possible on high end PCs

Ctlead

Banned

4K60 is not happening mate.

if they throw in 4K assets on the X1X... its gonna be so much better! Really wish I didnt buy it on PS4 now. sigh.
They’d have to make them first and they wouldn’t go through that effort for one console and not another.

I wouldn’t be disappointed until you actually see what it is, it’ll likely be the same.

What regions is this patch available? Didn't download for me just now in NA, game is installed.
Did you do a manual "Check for Update"? Are you sure it didn't already download and apply itself (it's tiny)? If you go to Information, what version is showing?

adamsapple

What regions is this patch available? Didn't download for me just now in NA, game is installed.

NA GoTY copy here, can confirm I got the the patch. Manually do the "Check for update" and in the Update History it should read 1.51 with a single line "Support for PS4 Pro" descriptor.

Frostman

Apologies everyone, I’ve just skimmed through but I’ve seen someone say 1800p and also seen full 4K posted but does anyone know what it truly is?

Are we looking at a CB type implementation to hit 4K or is it Native 1800p?

inner-G

Banned
Apologies everyone, I’ve just skimmed through but I’ve seen someone say 1800p and also seen full 4K posted but does anyone know what it truly is?

Are we looking at a CB type implementation to hit 4K or is it Native 1800p?

I think people have counted both, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's dynamic

Foliage certainly looks interesting, I thought that if it's just mipmap we shouldn't see alignment with pixel quads perfectly as each sprite can move freely, so I made following image.
Clicky

To my surprise screen facing sprites seem to have 2x1 pattern for most of the image and fit pretty much perfectly to quads.
Half horizontal resolution for them seems likely.

Fantastic. How did you gen the pixel quads btw in the image? Just some photoshop function?

pottuvoi

Banned
Fantastic. How did you gen the pixel quads btw in the image? Just some photoshop function?
Used Paint.NET
Created checkerboard in 1080p using fill with 50% dither. (Pixel perfect checkerboard.)
Upscale to 4k with nearest neighbor and then added as layer to target image.

Did vertical line version for opaque geometry, but didn't have much time to study it.
Small pixel artifacts at edges do seem to align themselves to even/odd lines.

We could have something similar to vertical line version of checkerboard.

FZW

They’d have to make them first and they wouldn’t go through that effort for one console and not another.

I wouldn’t be disappointed until you actually see what it is, it’ll likely be the same.

They did it for ROTTR and they wouldn't do it for the pro cause it doesn't have enough RAM.

I don't think its far fetched at all. Either way, the 1X version is most likely gonna be the better version.

adamsapple

NXGamer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhIckJf6VrI

- Performance is pretty much the same. Still gets some very minor dips under 30 FPS but nothing notable.
- Native 4K (NXGamer thinks there *might* be some dynamic scaling, not sure on that)
- Signs of Checker Board Rendering. Likely half width 1920 and full height 2160. But it could also be another method being employed.
- Regardless, the difference is stark compared to 1080p.

Seems like NXGamer can't nail down exactly if it's native or CB (great either way) and confirms the performance is still about the same as before. Based on the visual graph during the video, it seems to stay in the 29.8~ FPS range during combat and city traversal.

From this screen also, it's pretty clear that the resolution is full 4K. I just hope the framerate won't be tanking all over the place now.

https://a.uguu.se/GKBDMEjEMxzn_WhiteOrchard_1.png

Downsampling is in for 1080p users. Posted some screens in the other thread and this one shows it clearly.

Dat lack of Anisotropic Filtering though... ooof.

Given how much of TW3 involves travelling down roads, it's a shame they couldn't at least implement a little more AF in the Pro version.

Was thinking about as great as all this is it sadly won't be improving the rather crazy loading times on console.

Then I remembered that it has been said that games will have faster loading times without any dev input needed. Definitely interested in seeing if that's indeed the case.

Top Bottom