• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR Confirms Witcher 3 Update for XBX and PS4 Pro

Lucifon

Pro support is usually a couple hundred mb for any game - theres a reason people aren't complaining about having to download them on base PS4's.

I think this is actually something substantially different between the Pro and X's approach which people aren't talking about. All signs point to the X implementing 4K assets for many games, but AFAIK I'm yet to play a game on my Pro which has had any higher quality assets.

Footos22

I think this is actually something substantially different between the Pro and X's approach which people aren't talking about. All signs point to the X implementing 4K assets for many games, but AFAIK I'm yet to play a game on my Pro which has had any higher quality assets.

The Pro hasn't got all that extra ram to deal with it.

Necro900

Of course not but I definitely expected a significant resolution increase for starters. Maybe better textures.

The resolution increase should still be there in those 100+ mb, as it doesn't require assets. Not sure why you expected better textures, as it's not common among pspro patches and definitely not something I'd expect in a game like Witcher 3.

My bet is 1440p with an increased draw distance, which would be fine with me.

That's my bet too. 1440p fixed and some other minor improvement.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
My bet is 1440p with an increased draw distance, which would be fine with me.

Frostman

Whats up with that new FW5.0 "copying" horse shit? Took ~20 minutes!

My vanilla + season pass install is nearly 69GB big (PS4).

Yep, the GotY is much smaller, after compression. I only have the GOTY on PC, the file differences are insane.

Posted a png photo on the neo gaf community wall on the PS4. Hopefully it hasn't compressed it.
Pictures posted in Zcommunities do get compressed unfortunately, but I just had a look and sincerely appreciate the effort.

Whats up with that new FW5.0 "copying" horse shit? Took ~20 minutes!
That has been the case for all firmwares, I guess it's because the updates are deltas and have to calculate which files need to be left or replaced. Games with lots of patches and large install sizes are the worst, so the Witcher 3 is far and away the worst culprit for this on the PS4 (and basically always has been).

The resolution increase should still be there in those 100+ mb, as it doesn't require assets. Not sure why you expected better textures, as it's not common among pspro patches and definitely not something I'd expect in a game like Witcher 3.

That's my bet too. 1440p fixed and some other minor improvement.

Ok my bad then. I barely ever check out info about Pro patches because I don't own a PS4. But this time I was curious because I am waiting for the Xbox One X and thus the W3 patch.

I think so. Aliasing is completely gone in my 1080p TV.

Image quality is now amazing.

That is goddamn good to hear because I wasn't too fond of the aliasing in Novigrad and the other smaller towns. It's completely gone there too? Never found the aliasing too bad in the wild.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man. Why'd this update have to hit minutes before I have to go to work.

Ah well ... here's some quick and dirty in the first 5 mins I can get (had to install the game again).

The patch notes just say "PS4 Pro Support", and no it doesn't seem like 60 FPS based on the intro to the curious user above :p

Some quick in-game screens from the first 5 min.

1080p PNG's

thewitcher3_wildhuntcbjr14.png

thewitcher3_wildhuntci3qhr.png

thewitcher3_wildhuntc9frpj.png

4k JPG's for helping with pixel count if there's a resolution bump:

KageMaru

This is an awesome surprise. I've been waiting for this before starting the expansions. Unfortunately I probably won't be on my PlayStation for a couple weeks at least. =(

I am just not seeing any noticeable difference (1080p Projector Source). Previously games like Titanfall 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Rise of the Tomb Raider all have looked stunning thanks to their downsampling techniques!

Wait it says 1.50 PS4 Pro Update and then says 1.51 Improves Stability. Did they release 1.50 patch and release another concurrently which cancels 1.50's effects?

Lucifon

Wait it says 1.50 PS4 Pro Update and then says 1.51 Improves Stability. Did they release 1.50 patch and release another concurrently which cancels 1.50's effects?

Or released a further patch to improve stability ?

Most likely internal version numbering, so they released 1.51 to the public which includes 1.5's changes plus some stability improvements.

Vinc

I'll jump back in to check out the supersampling, but I'll wait til I get my 4K TV to replay the whole thing. It's so awesome that they did this.

Text file?

It's just a recompiled executable against the newest SDK, which merely bumps the resolution and nothing more than that.

No but what i'm saying is that people thinking that the patch should be bigger for whats going to happen are wrong. People seem to think that pushing to higher resolutions means massive downloads, that only happens if the assets get changed as well. Not just coding changes.

Necro900

Edges and such seem quite high resolution.

Some camera facing foliage looks like half res, it could be something as silly as selecting wrong mipmap for the distance.

Yep, the 12 mb png is much better than those 4k jpgs, looks quite high res.

Guess we're gonna need DF to tell us what the resolution is at now but that screen here does look quite good.

Could someone take a shot in Novigrad where it would have quite a bit of jaggies here and there? Or well, on Xbox it sure has, no idea about PS4.

Horns

The only Pro fix that would be amazing is making the fraction of a second lag when hitting the menu. It is bothering me more than it should on my second play through.

Hmmmmm. It’d be pretty smart, actually, if they went with a res bump focused solely on geo (like Gravity Rush 2)

Wish more games would use that instead of 1440p. It’s obviously more work, so I understand if most devs would rather not.

Top Bottom