• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR Confirms Witcher 3 Update for XBX and PS4 Pro

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
so what are the upgrade or are people just guessing ?

Just guessing for now, but it seems it's gotten a noticeable res bump based on a few impressions here. Excited to get home and check it out for myself, I was halfway thru a playthru and paused it when I heard about the patch. I also have not played the expansions so I have those to look forward to as well.

This was a 10/10 when it launched nearly two and a half years ago, and it's amazing how CDPR have continued to make it even better.

pottuvoi

Banned
Hmmmmm. It'd be pretty smart, actually, if they went with a res bump focused solely on geo (like Gravity Rush 2)

Wish more games would use that instead of 1440p. It's obviously more work, so I understand if most devs would rather not.
This isn't usual case of geometric rendering or MSAA trick.
There are details on textures which have height/width of single pixel.

Also for a game which uses textures as much the trick might not be the best choice, especially without some additional tweaking.
Might work nice with TAA which would fill texture/shading to samples, so shaded 4 pixel quads wouldn't be as visible.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Curious to see how this runs as well. I remember Digital Foundry's Neo mock-up had it running at 30 frames per second at 1800p.

There is no HDR

It only increases the resolution. sort of...the edges look noticeably sharper but foliage and general textures do not look sharper. It may be using that geometric trick.

Damn.

Still excited to jump back in to play Blood & Wine with the Pro enchancements tho

camac002

Yeah running around Beauclair on my 4ktv and all the aliasing that used to be there, in particular on the castle, is absolutely minimal or gone. Res bump and maybe stronger AA solution as well?

Yeah, probably not anywhere close to 4K. 1440p would be good.

Surprised CDPR haven't put out any tweets or blogs about this.

If you enlarge the uncompressed 12 mb image from earlier, as pottuvoi points out, you can see the edges and aliasing on geometry line up with the pixel grid 1:1. So that stuff is at least 3840X2160 in these stills. Some 2d elements like trees and vegetation are noticably chunky and whatnot, but as pottuvoi points out, they are probably just using a low mip bias, either because of an oversight or because that is actually rather "expensive" at 3840X2160 in a game like TW3.
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-mipmap-bias-performance-v104-640px.png

I dunno, maybe they might push 4K assets there, its got the extra RAM to handle them.

That would be quite something. Whatever the case I'm glad I held off on continuing my playthrough of the game because those shots look great. Plus I've been out of the game for too long, will definitely restart the story.

Thanks!

4K TV Output
Screenshot Setting: 4K/PNG

It's 12MB in size, so I'm just linking it: click
Pretty weird result. Seems like native 4k (or close to it) but with AA only enabled in spots. Foliage seems to be rendered at lower res? Seems like it would still look quite aliased on a 4K TV.

Now I'm excited to get home from work tonight and continue Witcher. Damn, I've been waiting for this patch since I bought my pro.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I’ll be more than happy with 1440p or 1600/1800cb. If they’ve gotten to native 4k on the Pro it will be an amazing tech accomplishment however they’ve done it.

Game does not look soft AT ALL

Looks amazing on my 60" even with no HDR

The lighting is so good I almost thought it had HDR.

It's no Horizon but it looks so so so much better. I can finally understand all the gushing

Can only imagine how good the expansion looks

Dantis

Is the patch available for the GoTY edition as well? I know it has a separate trophy list, so I don't know if it picks up the same patches.

Game does not look soft AT ALL

Looks amazing on my 60" even with no HDR

The lighting is so good I almost thought it had HDR.

It's no Horizon but it looks so so so much better. I can finally understand all the gushing

Can only imagine how good the expansion looks

I don't have a 4K tv, but I've got a 80" screen. Witcher III looked great already at it's current state on base hardware. Now with the PS4 Pro patch, I am not able to the visual improvement(resolution wise). This wasn't the case with other games that I have played on Pro on a 1080p screen!

Does this patch do anything for people with 1080p displays with a PS4 Pro? I know supersampling is done on some games but others need a 4K set to actually see any differences.

Just pixel counted another pic and got 1800p again. I'm going to go with that :)

These are the two I counted:

It's fitting that one of them would be the infamous bath scene :p

The bath scene looks so hot but didn't want to get banned :p

Her ass really benefits from the bump in resolution

I don't have a 4K tv, but I've got a 80" screen. Witcher III looked great already at it's current state on base hardware. Now with the PS4 Pro patch, I am not able to the visual improvement(resolution wise). This wasn't the case with other games that I have played on Pro on a 1080p screen!

80 inch 1080p? Man I don't even wanna know how pixely shit looks.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is the patch available for the GoTY edition as well? I know it has a separate trophy list, so I don't know if it picks up the same patches.

Yeah, have the GoTY version here, can confirm patch was live this morning before I left for work. Only a measly 200MB patch at that too.

Also, to those worried about aliasing. I have a 55' Samsung 4K TV setup, the first 10 minutes I played (granted its not the best sample size) with the patch looked very clean. Definitely less aliased than what I remember playing of the game when I first got it. So, there is definitely a resolution bump. As mentioned above, if its 1800p .. its pretty fucking dope to get such a huge bump.

PS, the bigger change I noticed since my last play through was with the SSD I have on my PS4 Pro now, the load times were cut in less than half. That's just as big of a win.

1800p is very impressive should be a noticeable leap in quality on a 4K screen. 4K on One X is a sure bet.

Would be great. One thing is for sure CDPR is doing once again a great job and you can be sure it will be worth it for One X too. Hopefully it will be there at launch and hopefully they use the extra power.

BAW

Banned
This game is the absolute benchmark. I expect the X1X version to be even better, but I'm curious to see HOW much better.

Necro900

1800p is very impressive should be a noticeable leap in quality on a 4K screen. 4K on One X is a sure bet.

Hmmm, a couple of posters have counted 2160 on geometry, i think we still haven't fully understood the upgrade here. But yeah, TW3 is going to shine on the X1X

If it really is 1800p, that is a pretty decent boost for the Pro, more than I expected but if anyone can make a decent patch for this, it's CDPR.

FZW

if they throw in 4K assets on the X1X... its gonna be so much better! Really wish I didnt buy it on PS4 now. sigh.

Top Bottom