• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR Facing Class-Action Lawsuit for "misrepresentation in order to receive financial benefits” [NYT]

JayK47

lol

0PUSzSr.jpg

Edit: already posted lol
It's called review bombing. Happens to a lot of deserving and undeserving games.

I am trying to figure out why this game is getting so much more hate than other games that fell flat on their face at launch. Is it your anger for 2020? One of the few things you have control over is complaining about a game? Stuck indoors and can't go out to a movie or restaurant? I am trying to imagine being one of the developers. Working overtime for the last year and now you may lose your job. I guess it happens a lot in the industry. I am starting to think most of you want CDPR to fail and go out of business. And I can't honestly imagine how that will help in any way.

diffusionx

Gold Member
PS 4th most played game on xbl currently...

Game is still going to sell 20 million plus and the lynch mob circle jerk squad won’t understand

Can you call it a lynch mob when the dev apologized, mass refunds, getting pulled off psn?

The game is already financially successful and most of us do agree that CDPR will fix the game, but they deserve the heat IMO

i can't imagine this would go anywhere. they did not show footage and claim it was PS4/XBO gameplay.

they did not misrepresent anything to a criminal degree because they did not show any last gen console footage which was fake. case closed imo.

from what i can tell, the most they did was make statements that the game "ran well". which, it is a game that makes high end PCs struggle. they could easily argue that it ran as well as you could expect given the hardware limitations. obviously even to get it running smoother at a faster framerate, the visuals will have to take a hit. this is a game made with modern generation and PCs in mind.

at no point did they claim that last gen consoles ran as well as this gen. which seems to be the giant leap this lawsuit is claiming they are responsible for. this has no legal standing, correct? are they going to be legally punished for not making all 7 ports perform the same? that's stupid.

if they lied to investors that is another thing. but they didn't show doctored footage to the public and claim it was running on PS4. otherwise this case would have grounds. as is, it seems to be based on misasumptions and people jumping to conclusions based on hype.
Sure, so the ceo of the company's didn't tell to the media the game was running surprisingly well in ps4 and xbox one just a month ago?

VertigoOA

Banned
Can you call it a lynch mob when the dev apologized, mass refunds, getting pulled off psn?

The game is already financially successful and most of us do agree that CDPR will fix the game, but they deserve the heat IMO

And you’ve played an open world western rpg they didn’t launch buggy as shit when? Because over the last 25 years Cyberpunk runs comparitively pretty damn well to the typical Bethesda and BioWare release.

It’s just outrage culture showing how cancerous and shit the new generation of gamers are.

I guess we should get refunds for all games that don’t receive 90+ meta critic.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
And you’ve played an open world western rpg they didn’t launch buggy as shit when? Because over the last 25 years Cyberpunk runs comparitively pretty damn well to the typical Bethesda and BioWare release.

It’s just outrage culture showing how cancerous and shit the new generation of gamers are.

I guess we should get refunds for all games that don’t receive 90+ meta critic.

Did MS and Sony issue mass refunds for a Bethesda game, and pull it from the store?

JayK47

The game isnt original at all, does nothing new and is just a copy of other games mashed into one buggy mess.
Feels new to me. New IP. Interesting world to explore. It was the reason I loved The Witcher so much. I'm tired of COD, BF, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, etc. It is nice to play something new for once.

harmny

Banned
First and foremost, learn how to type a proper sentence before you quote me. Secondly, I selected this avatar about 2 years ago and haven't bothered to change it. Just because I like the art design on this particular avatar, it doesn't necessarily mean that I worship CD Projekt Red. And if you think the comparison between GTA: San Andreas and Cyberpunk 2077 isn't valid, then consider the fact that Cyberpunk 2077 was marketed and advertised as an expansive open world with emphases on customization, open-world exploration, and immersion, while also including dynamic AI with each NPC having their own day-and-night cycles. So if you even bothered to watch the video I linked, you'd be able to conclude for yourself that as far as immersion and expansive open worlds go, GTA: San Andreas does a better job than Cyberpunk 2077 in regards to the aforementioned aspects. And obviously the other two games you mentioned weren't advertised to be the same type of game as Cyberpunk 2077.

i5PYykG.gif

they were advertised as the same type of game. an open world action adventure/rpg. compare them.
this is the witcher 3 with guns not gta

Last edited:
This is far from the first it happened. Still happened anyway. Will keep happening.
And honestly, players are also to blame. Many people don't grow any interest in products unless they're hyped and advertised everywhere, many also always want "bigger and better" stuff. So publishers need to do both if they want to sell enough to justify costs, which in turn will always keep costing them more.
It's definitely going to keep on going, but I think studios will definitely be keeping a close eye on how all this pans out.

VertigoOA

Banned
Did MS and Sony issue mass refunds for a Bethesda game, and pull it from the store?

You don’t see that as just the point. As someone who owned Fallout 76 from day one.... it’s hypocrisy at its finest.

I know there’s plenty of revisionist history out there in the echo chambers but in no way whatsoever did Cyberpunk launch in worse state than 76, which was pretty much unplayable for nearly a month.

Still to do this day I can boot up Fallout 4 on PS4/5 and still have the game crash. Should it be delisted? Should I act as if this developer murdered my dog over a measly 65$?

I’m thankful that games do get fixed. That you don’t have to buy a new version of street fighter every 9 months to see what’s changed.

This game is being targeted.

Aion002

Good. I hope that EA is paying attention to all this and will give Bioware time to finish their projects. I really hope that companies will get a little worried about releasing "rough" games from now on.

:messenger_anxious:

I just told my polish-born mother about this and she threw up. This is such an embarrassment.

Hopefully a lot of the talented concept artists & visual designers for this game find better work somewhere else.
First incel gamers and now this? Take your virtue signalling somewhere else.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The way they hid the actual state of the base PS4 and XBO games in particular was rather heinous, but enough to warrant damages? I doubt that... There have been worse examples.

Guilty_AI

You don’t see that as just the point. As someone who owned Fallout 76 from day one.... it’s hypocrisy at its finest.

I know there’s plenty of revisionist history out there in the echo chambers but in no way whatsoever did Cyberpunk launch in worse state than 76, which was pretty much unplayable for nearly a month.

Still to do this day I can boot up Fallout 4 on PS4/5 and still have the game crash. Should it be delisted? Should I act as if this developer murdered my dog over a measly 65$?

I’m thankful that games do get fixed. That you don’t have to buy a new version of street fighter every 9 months to see what’s changed.

Journalists and some people already had a hate-boner for CDPR, they're just taking the chance

diffusionx

Gold Member

I had Fallout 76 early too, not at launch, but I thought the game was fine, but also understood why it was being criticized.

Nobody's acting like CP2077 murdered anyone's dog, but the fact is, the studio actively worked to hide how the game ran on the base consoles, sold a ton of preorders, and then had to backtrack. It doesn't matter what happened with F76 (hell IIRC FO76 had a beta, a shitty useless beta but it let people see what shape the game was in before launch). All that matters is how CP2077 is right now, and what MS/Sony/Best Buy/CDPR/whomever are responding. It's all bad news for CDPR. That doesn't mean that we're not hoping this game gets fixed and gets in a good state.

I don't even see a lot of anger on this forum, people are just disappointed.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Another reason why I avoid most new game releases, this game was way overhyped and when it goes on sale and gets a patch that fixes all the bugs then will give it a go....maybe.

VertigoOA

Banned
Meanwhile, Bethesda will port Doom Eternal for Switch... and it will be fine? DOUBT

Cyberpunk is not unplayable. If users are bitter about their last gen consoles showing their age... well seeing how high it’s tracking on Xbox Live... you can sorta conclude that actual players don’t give a shit either.

It’s outrage culture at worst. And what’s best... Cyberpunk will still prove to be a juggernaut. Cue 5 years of salt

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
I get what you're saying, but Cyberpunk has less going on in its open-world design than older GTA titles.

AC HZD and ghost of tsushima and the witcher 3 have even less going on than older gta titles and cyberpunk. you can't even kill civilians and there is no crime system at all. nobody complained. this is the same kind of game. what is it that make people go delusional? the fact that you can drive a car and shoot guns?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I get what you're saying, but Cyberpunk has less going on in its open-world design than older GTA titles.
From what i read the game has tons of side content though, even affecting the main storyline.
It loses to GTA when you try to play it as a sandbox type of game, since it has inferior pedestrian/traffic AI and physiscs.

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

I had Fallout 76 early too, not at launch, but I thought the game was fine, but also understood why it was being criticized.

Nobody's acting like CP2077 murdered anyone's dog, but the fact is, the studio actively worked to hide how the game ran on the base consoles, sold a ton of preorders, and then had to backtrack. It doesn't matter what happened with F76 (hell IIRC FO76 had a beta, a shitty useless beta but it let people see what shape the game was in before launch). All that matters is how CP2077 is right now, and what MS/Sony/Best Buy/CDPR/whomever are responding. It's all bad news for CDPR. That doesn't mean that we're not hoping this game gets fixed and gets in a good state.

I don't even see a lot of anger on this forum, people are just disappointed.
Guess you don't read the purple forum much...

Par for the course, means nothing in the US. Let’s move on from these clickbait posts, shall we?

harmny

Banned
From what i read the game has tons of side content though, even affecting the main storyline.
It loses to GTA when you try to play it as a sandbox type of game, since it has inferior pedestrian/traffic AI and physiscs.

it has TONS of great side content. better than anything rockstar has ever done in that regard. but then again different game. that's the point. rockstar just makes the same sandbox with extremely linear quests game since gta 3. that would be like me complaining that rockstar games don't have levels or skill trees.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Aren't they offering refunds to people? Is there a gain offering reffunds to players?

They aren’t the first company to put out a buggy game.

But they pissed off just the right people to suddenly face worse backlash than we have ever seen for an AAA title

Yeah. People want me to believe this is such a cathastrophe when we had similar events happening time from time.

As I mention in the other thread this is mostly inflamation from people who already have being doing protests and cancel culture before they even launched the game. Those type of people are simply among the customers who are really complaining about faulty product, but are just there to put salt in the wound/fuel in the bonfire.

alife

they were advertised as the same type of game. an open world action adventure/rpg. compare them.
this is the witcher 3 with guns not gta
I'm not going to sift through all the marketing and advertising materials provided in the past by CDPR just to prove you wrong because you seem to be allergic to factual information. You're more than welcome to do your own research since I can't be bothered to do your homework for you. Cyberpunk 2077 was advertised to be more than just a typical open-world action/adventure RPG game. If you truly believe otherwise, you're absolutely delusional. You and others alike may argue that players had unrealistic expectations but the truth is that CDPR set up those expectations and plugged away at the hype machine. Do you really believe Keanu Reeves was hired for his exceptional voice acting abilities? The open world in Cyberpunk 2077, however pretty it may be, does not have as much depth as a 16-year old game like GTA: San Andreas. I'll ramble on about a random list of features off the top of my head. Player customization is non-existent past the character creation screen. Car customization doesn't exist. The massive arsenal of weaponry CDPR boasted on about doesn't exist. The AI operates entirely on rails and is not dynamic. Expansive quests with branching paths and meaningful decisions don't exist since nearly 98% of all choices made by the player will lead them to the same destination. The skill system is almost pointless because anyone can breeze through the missions on even the hardest difficulty by simply deactivating cameras and stealthily incapacitating enemies. The enemy AI in this game also makes the Amazon virtual chat AI look like a genius. Progression in the "Street Cred" system is pointless because it just becomes a mediocre grind in order to acquire new items from vendors and acquiring new vehicles via text. Oh that's right, no car dealerships are present in this game because we have to purchase a car via text. Stellar! It's the year 2077 and we're still using OfferUp and Craigslist! Oh wait, what about life paths you say? Darn, guess what? Aside from a 20-30 minute introduction, life paths don't matter in this game. Yeah sure, there may be different dialogue options available to each respective life path, however, most dialogue options will lead players in the same direction and have them arrive at the same destination. And the list can go on and on. But I digress and will leave you and others with an image of changes made from the 2018 gameplay demo:
EBEUveX.png

TL;DR - No, Cyberpunk 2077 was not advertised as just The Witcher 3 with guns. If CDPR had advertised the game for what it really is, then people wouldn't be rightfully shoveling shit on them right now. It's fine, I enjoy parts of the game as well. But trying to convince me that 2 plus 2 equals 10 makes you look like an ignorant asshole.

MiguelItUp

There really is some insane hate boner going on here for CDPR. I don't praise them or anything, and would never say CP:2077 is perfect. But Jesus. The reactions have acted as if this is a first time a dev has shipped a game with issues. I suppose it truly is because of all the hype and expectations that were behind it.

I, too, think they have done enough to avoid this for the most part. Still damning regardless.

Jada

Banned
Well deserved. This company is finished. I don’t think it’ll close shop, but its present management - the owners, basically - is done. Wouldn’t at all be surprised to see Microsoft acquire them. They don’t fit within Sony’s portfolio.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
CDPR next game will be : a linear, cinematic, story-driven (but with no choice of course) third person game.

So just like Cyberpunk but in third person ?

Because while I like the game, it's certainly a story driven linear game. You watch stories unfold and walk with talking NPCs for hours like... in a Naughty Dog game. Your choices inside quests very rarely matters (just reload if you don't believe me). You even get the emotional scenes with major characters, like in Naughty Dog games. They're pretty well done I must say.

Not that I don't like all that, but people who bash Naughty Dog and encense CDPR are hilarious, they're doing basically the same kind of games here. The open world doesn't play any major role in Cyberpunk. And it's for the better because the NPCs AI isn't even on GTA 4 level.

The choices that really matter for the story are very few and far between.

The game is still very enjoyable because CDPR are masters at creating characters and stories.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Thoughts on this? Deserved?

Also, this is a translation of the filing:

bUt tHeRe'S nOtHiNg wRoNg wItH tHe gAmE
That sucks for the company in the fact media outlets/etc also weren't being truthful about the state. Early leaks were coming in, but it didn't seem to get major coverage. Of course, they might not had the chance to have a ps4/OneX copies too.

Reactions: MrS

Lone Denjin

You know i feel sorry for the people who made the game. I think they got screwed by upper management on this. The game clearly needed another 6 months of time in the oven. I have been through the game on PC from start to finish and it was a painful processes. Not only with performance but the game is just broke. UI getting stuck showing stuff you have moved away from, Sound from everyone except V cutting out so it sounded like V was talking to himself. Driving that felt like i was pushing a shopping cart full of lead. Police that did nothing. NPC's blocking doors to objectives. The lawsut is summed up in my image.
beaNzpI.gif

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Vultures aka lawyers now swooping in. Class action lawsuits only ever line the pockets of lawyers.

AC HZD and ghost of tsushima and the witcher 3 have even less going on than older gta titles and cyberpunk. you can't even kill civilians and there is no crime system at all. nobody complained. this is the same kind of game. what is it that make people go delusional? the fact that you can drive a car and shoot guns?
GTA (probably Mass Effect and Fallout too) is the closest analogy to Cyberpunk, and nobody complained about those other games because their foundation isn't so closely related to GTA as Cyberpunk is. Cyberpunk even has the same cheeky in your face satire as GTA, maybe not as much, but it's there. What is the main difference between the two? Cyberpunk's story is much more serious in tone and you have different dialogue choices. Great. Between its awful bugs, braindead scripting, and lack of interaction with the world, you're left with constant breaks in immersion. This is why people are so disappointed. Constant reminders of what developers promised over a seven year span that doesn't even match the open-world aspects from a GTA game that targeted PS3/Xbox 360 hardware. Good characters and a decent story won't save this. It's just pathetic. Straight up.

Listen, I'm not trying to tell you not to enjoy the game. If you're having a great time, than that's cool. I'm just trying to solidify why so many people are having such a negative reaction. I can't wait for the tell all story on this games development.

Last edited:

Armorous

Is cyberpunk the next E.T? Will this be the end of the videogames industry until a newcomer brings back the trust of the public and media? /s

harmny

Banned
What is the main difference between the two? Cyberpunk's story is much more serious in tone and you have different dialogue choices

that is the main difference? lol. not the fact that they are entirely different games at their core. again. this is witcher 3 with guns but deeper and in first person. you shouldn't be surprised. its the same company

Last edited:
Two questions for you and I won't press you any further

Does every game get pulled by Sony for being a piece of shit?
Does every game hide PS4/Xbox versions because of how poorly they run?

These are what make this case different.

'Hint' Lychdom Battlemage

Or life of Black Tiger. There's more games that have the worse performance on PlayStation than Cyberpunk.

Both games haven't been pulled from PSN store

Follow up to you question:

'Does every game get pulled by Sony for being a piece of shit?'

NO

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The negative campaign against this game is incredible. I understand last generation console gamers were fooled and deserve refunds. However, PC and next generation console players are trying to hold cyberpunk to some incredible standards, that we have never asked from the industry before. As customers we should voice our dissatisfaction, but perhaps we are channeling some anger that other industry players deserve.

CDPR is worthy of criticism, but I’d save the legal lawsuits for Sony, Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, etc; major industry players that time and time again over promised and under delivered. Destroying a medium sized Polish studio with a decade of a pro-consumer attitude that has engaged in social media drama during the lead up to their biggest release is not teaching the industry the lesson they need to learn. It is teaching them to bow down to the mob early.

PS 4th most played game on xbl currently...

Game is still going to sell 20 million plus and the lynch mob circle jerk squad won’t understand
You realise it’s basically free to play right now, right? That might be why it’s 4th. You can buy it, play as much as you want and return it at the moment.

Last edited:
that is the main difference? lol. not the fact that they are entirely different games at their core. again. this is witcher 3 with guns but deeper and in first person. you shouldn't be surprised. its the same company
Thanks for nitpicking a single sentence and missing every other point I made. Let me remove that one and repost the rest for easier consumption.
GTA (probably Mass Effect and Fallout too) is the closest analogy to Cyberpunk, and nobody complained about those other games because their foundation isn't so closely related to GTA as Cyberpunk is. Cyberpunk even has the same cheeky in your face satire as GTA, maybe not as much, but it's there. Between its awful bugs, braindead scripting, and lack of interaction with the world, you're left with constant breaks in immersion. This is why people are so disappointed. Constant reminders of what developers promised over a seven year span that doesn't even match the open-world aspects from a GTA game that targeted PS3/Xbox 360 hardware. Good characters and a decent story won't save this. It's just pathetic. Straight up.

Listen, I'm not trying to tell you not to enjoy the game. If you're having a great time, than that's cool. I'm just trying to solidify why so many people are having such a negative reaction. I can't wait for the tell all story on this games development.
Also, this isn't as good as the Witcher 3. It's more analogous to Mass Effect if anything, but obviously open-world and a your choices in dialogue have less impact on the story. Not great. Again, if you like it, knock yourself out.

Top Bottom