• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR insists that The Witcher 3 next-gen upgrade is not in "development hell"

"I've been looking at the headlines that popped up here and there over the internet, and I've seen one that really drew my attention, which is, 'Witcher 3 next-gen delayed indefinitely,' which sounds like the game is in some sort of development hell," Nowakowski said. "I want to state this is not the fact. There's been a lot of insinuations that we're going to launch, like, June next year or something like that. That's completely not the case.

"Everything we're saying is—we have taken the development of the game in-house. The game is going to be finished in-house. We're evaluating our time, that requires a bit of investigation—that's all we're saying. Nobody's saying the game is delayed [with] some monumental time gap ahead of us. That's as much as I can say about Witcher next-gen, but I really want to emphasize that fact."

Aren't they switching the team working on it because the current team is in Russia? I don't know if that counts as development hell, but it's something.

Mr Moose

crycat-crying-cat.gif

If a company like Sony, for talk sake, bought CDPR, would that affect the timeline of Witcher 3? It's strange how they know it needs to be delayed but can't say why it needs to be delayed, or how long.

It's like saying you need more milk without checking the fridge.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

"I've been looking at the headlines that popped up here and there over the internet, and I've seen one that really drew my attention, which is, 'Witcher 3 next-gen delayed indefinitely,' which sounds like the game is in some sort of development hell," Nowakowski said. "I want to state this is not the fact. There's been a lot of insinuations that we're going to launch, like, June next year or something like that. That's completely not the case.

"Everything we're saying is—we have taken the development of the game in-house. The game is going to be finished in-house. We're evaluating our time, that requires a bit of investigation—that's all we're saying. Nobody's saying the game is delayed [with] some monumental time gap ahead of us. That's as much as I can say about Witcher next-gen, but I really want to emphasize that fact."

"Insists?" What a strange choice of wording.

They had to take back development from a russian company for obvious reasons. I'm not sure why one would have to make up a conspiracy theory about it.

Last edited:

Rykan

I don't think it's worth it to really put that much effort into a next gen patch.

The game is 7 years old at this point. Everyone who wants to play it, has already played it. Just add a patch that increases the resolution and framerate. Maybe some texture improvements if you really want to but anything beyond that is a valiant effort but not worth it. This is a very long RPG, how many people are actually going to play all the way through it again just for some graphical enhancements? Not a lot I think.

Last edited:
I don't think it's worth it to really put that much effort into a next gen patch.

The game is 7 years old at this point. Everyone who wants to play it, has already played it. Just add a patch that increases the resolution and framerate. Maybe some texture improvements if you really want to but anything beyond that is a valiant effort but not worth it. This is a very long RPG, how many people are actually going to play all the way through it again just for some graphical enhancements? Not a lot I think.
How many people re-paid to play GTAV storymode for the next gen version? It might be more than you think.

Last edited:

Isn’t it already 4K/60 from the Xbox One X patch? I think this new one is bringing Ray tracing and even faster load times.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Isn’t it already 4K/60 from the Xbox One X patch? I think this new one is bringing Ray tracing and even faster load times.

Dynamic 1400p ~ 60 FPS but it drops some visual settings from the higher resolution 4K/30 FPS mode.

Neilg

It's a glorified patch that was supposed to have come out like a year ago and it just switched dev teams. I don't know what else to call it if not in development hell.
It wasn't 'supposed to' come out a year ago.
They were always going to get cyberpunk right first and fix that before releasing this. Then Putin started a war and now the team that was on it has to ship hard drives out of Russia so it can be finished in Poland.

Lupin25

A next-gen upgrade shouldn’t take two fucking years though lol.

Whether it’s in a good state now or not, that’s not good progress.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
So in a month or so, we should recieve an update?

This is why CDPR should be purchased by SNY or MS: they don't have the resources.

Rykan

How many people re-paid to play GTAV storymode for the next gen version? It might be more than you think.
Possibly, but there's two major differences that set it apart. Obvious GTA V is several magnitudes more popular than W3, but GTA V also has a still very active online mode that W3 doesn't have.

With that said, GTA V's next gen patch is pretty much what I think the W3 next gen patch should be which is basically the PC version at high/max settings and a better framerate.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Cyberpunk 2077 is very literally a huge, single-player, open-world, story driven RPG with no microtransactions whatsoever.

What should we "never forget?" that you're wrong and bitter?
Cyberpunk 2077 was also full of hidden catch, I didn't get what I paid for (a finished product, AT LEAST) and the trailers where full of bullshit. It was absolutely NOT honest gaming like with Wild Hunt. They didn't leave greed to others, they reached new heights

So yeah, never forget. I'm bitter because I paid 50e for this after being deceived by one of my most trusted studio.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Cyberpunk 2077 was also full of hidden catch, I didn't get what I paid for (a finished product, AT LEAST) and the trailers where full of bullshit. It was absolutely NOT honest gaming like with Wild Hunt. They didn't leave greed to others, they reached new heights

So yeah, never forget. I'm bitter because I paid 50e for this after being deceived by one of my most trusted studio.

You're grasping at straws.

Keep crying. We'll enjoy the game, which is great.

Dodo123

They give a deadline -> f*** CDPR!!!!! Reeee!! Why are they giving the deadline, just release it!

They don't give a deadline -> f*** CDPR!!!! Development hell!! Reee!!!

This decision is solely connected with the war, the most important military conflict in the world since WW2 -> f*** CDPR!!!! I want my game! Reee! This is too much!!! Im a privileged Westerner, it's too harsh!!

samoilaaa

They give a deadline -> f*** CDPR!!!!! Reeee!! Why are they giving the deadline, just release it!

They don't give a deadline -> f*** CDPR!!!! Development hell!! Reee!!!

This decision is solely connected with the war, the most important military conflict in the world since WW2 -> f*** CDPR!!!! I want my game! Reee! This is too much!!! Im a privileged Westerner, it's too harsh!!
i guess the cuban missile crisis was a joke to you , the risk of nuclear war was higher than ever at that point

SJRB

Gold Member
It's not even a meme anymore at this point, CDPR is incapable of delivering on their own timeline expectations.

Good lord, please stop giving release estimates when you are literally never able to meet them.

FUBARx89

To be fair it's understandable, they outsourced it to a Russian studio. Russia is being hammered by sanctions at the min and it's not looking like that's going to change anytime soon, so it's more than fair they're having to look at what needs to be done and announcing it's delayed til they figure out what needs to be done and a timescale.

base

Banned
Aren't they switching the team working on it because the current team is in Russia? I don't know if that counts as development hell, but it's something.
Read that yesterday. It seems that the politics is the reason for the delay. What a pity.

Show a fuckin screenshot then. Something. As a PC player I want to know if it's something I can give a shit a out. Or is this basically the same experience anyone on PC has already had.

Top Bottom