• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR Investor Call confirms Cyberpunk BC compatibility on PS5 and Xbox Series X with tech upgrade

UVU6LeQ.png

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I want to play it on the most powerful system. i already have the game with the xbox one X cyberpunk edition. ill be skipping the PS5 version for obvious reasons

• LOL
Reactions: Fuz

Keihart

So there is a boost mode on PS5 BC? :pie_thinking:
PS5 version is going to be a crossbuy later on but it's not launching on PS5 then?:pie_thinking:

Keihart

A next-gen patch is going to be available for free for PS5 if you buy the PS4 game.
But the game in PS5 should run on BC mode, so the patch should be something akin to the PS4pro patch which would point to a boost mode for PS4 games in PS5.
PS4 games don't just run in PS5 as native tittles. And since the wording implies that a proper next gen version will become available later, i think that a boost mode of sorts it's what they are hinting at.

Last edited:

Keihart

Exactly but people don't seem to understand it. MS can't force 3rd party into smart delivery.
As i understand, the key difference with xbox games it's the forced use of this abstraction layers system that they are using to make games run natively in the xbox ecosystem, so a xbox 1 game would run on a xbox series x as if was made for that console. Assets quality aside ofcourse, but the game would be able to boost performance accordingly without modifications because it would not be just emulated.

The loading in Witcher 3, isnt going to allow me to even try this game on PS4.
I havent play Red Dead either. I will also wait for it on PS5. Updated or in a Native PS5 release.

ethomaz

Banned
So there is a boost mode on PS5 BC? :pie_thinking:
PS5 version is going to be a crossbuy later on but it's not launching on PS5 then?:pie_thinking:
There are three BC modes in PS5.

PS5 mode.
PS4 Pro mode.
PS4 mode.

The two late modes works for all games without any patch/change.
PS5 mode needs the game to be patched to use the available power of PS5.

CDPR is talking about that PS5 mode.

CDPR has marketing deal with MS so they can talk publicly about PS5 or PS4 version... that is why people though there is only Xbox SmartDelivery option and nothing to PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
But the game in PS5 should run on BC mode, so the patch should be something akin to the PS4pro patch which would point to a boost mode for PS4 games in PS5.
PS4 games don't just run in PS5 as native tittles. And since the wording implies that a proper next gen version will become available later, i think that a boost mode of sorts it's what they are hinting at.
PS4 games needs patch to run in PS5 native mode.

How they use the native PS5 power is up to the developer.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
PS4 games need a patch to do any sort of BC (or at least need to be tested.)

"Native mode" is not BC; it's ... native mode.. meaning the full instruction set of the PS5. You are not a BC game if your code is compiled to the PS5. PS5 "native mode" on that slide corresponds with the PS3 icon on the previous slide.. aka not a BC thing, it's just.. the system.

All BC runs at full PS5 speed but with the instruction sets of PS4Pro or PS4, hence why BC requires testing and maybe patches.

That's my interpretation and I'm sticking to it.

edit: Either way excited CyberPunk comes with the PS4 and PS5 versions... if I do play on console I'll be playing on PS5 in BC for that sweet SSD load times.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Seems like I'll have loads to play in the launch window..... very happy. Don't expect this to be as good as everyones hyping it but I'm sure the world will be interesting at least.

HarryKS

As i understand, the key difference with xbox games it's the forced use of this abstraction layers system that they are using to make games run natively in the xbox ecosystem, so a xbox 1 game would run on a xbox series x as if was made for that console. Assets quality aside ofcourse, but the game would be able to boost performance accordingly without modifications because it would not be just emulated.
Nope.

I'm not sure why anyone didn't think this wasn't gonna happen... but i bet some people are very disappointed this is happening. Basically what CD Project Red would be saying, if they didn't is "Oh we didn't do it on the PS4/PS5 because PS didn't make it mandatory..." that just makes them look like the bad guy, right?

dorkimoe

the console release dates have to be that same week or the week before. The way it says day 1 on both consoles.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Told everyone it was just going to be an update/upgrade patch, not unlike mid-gen refresh profiles we have now on the Pro/X... And not an entirely separate version built from the ground up.

They will probably do more with the upgrades, since the power gulf is much greater than the base 1.31TF/Jag it’s built around.

Vognerful

I kind of knew it was possible on the PS5. Unfortunately it's up to developers to implement it. Probably the first real example we have of PS5 Native BC mode.

SQx9xKJ6aXa3w4BZzgUy3h.jpg
What do you mean? they picture in original post says that CDRP are preparing the new version and releasing it in 2021. there is no backward compatibility here.

Karmic Raze

2021-2022? I don’t want to wait to wait almost 2 years to play a real PS5 version. But I’ll buy the PS4 version and play it anyways.

What do you mean? they picture in original post says that CDRP are preparing the new version and releasing it in 2021. there is no backward compatibility here.

"it is confirmed that the day one next gen patch will not be the last update. At a later time a 'more robust next gen update' (remaster) will become available (2021-2022) "

Sounds like the 1st patch is the Native PS5 BC mode while the next one is the PS5 version.

Vognerful

There are three BC modes in PS5.

PS5 mode.
PS4 Pro mode.
PS4 mode.

The two late modes works for all games without any patch/change.
PS5 mode needs the game to be patched to use the available power of PS5.

CDPR is talking about that PS5 mode.

CDPR has marketing deal with MS so they can talk publicly about PS5 or PS4 version... that is why people though there is only Xbox SmartDelivery option and nothing to PS5.
"it is confirmed that the day one next gen patch will not be the last update. At a later time a 'more robust next gen update' (remaster) will become available (2021-2022) "

Sounds like the 1st patch is the Native PS5 BC mode while the next one is the PS5 version.
here is what the actual leak says and not he interpretation by the title creator:

" Next-gen version is planned for 2021, "more robust update". will be free of charge for those who own last -gen version."

this sounds like they will release a ps5/xsx game version. It is not a backward compatibility program for neither of consoles.

here is what the actual leak says and not he interpretation by the title creator:

" Next-gen version is planned for 2021, "more robust update". will be free of charge for those who own last -gen version."

this sounds like they will release a ps5/xsx game version. It is not a backward compatibility program for neither of consoles.

But the next gen versions come later though. When the game comes out a simplified patch will be released. That's what understand by a simple patch versus a more robust one.

Vognerful

But the next gen versions come later though. When the game comes out a simplified patch will be released. That's what understand by a simple patch versus a more robust one.
even if there is a simple patch at released, there is no where were it says it will run the game as ps5 native mode. I don't expect much either for xsx as well.

you know what, maybe I should not let my pessimism gets the best of me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Sounds like the first patch is an upgrade for the next gen consoles, since they said the game will look better on next gen consoles on day 1, and then the second patch in 2021 will be a more robust upgrade on a “remaster” like level.

Basically an upgrade patch like the Pro/X now on day 1, and then a much beefier one taking more advantage of the power gulf later on.

Last edited:

GenericUser

DAMN, good news! Now only dying light 2 is missing for me to justify my day 1 PS5 purchase.

I hope the PS5 Version will run at least in mid-high to high PC settings. More substantial updates later are welcome too. Can't wait.

vkbest

Looks like on PS5 you can get native support on PS4 games with patches (supposed PS5 native profile on the Cerny captures). If this is true is better for me that "smart delivery", because this could bring patches supporting better resolution and framerate for older games such as Sony games, Witcher 3, etc

Last edited:
Looks like on PS5 you can get native support on PS4 games with patches (supposed PS5 native profile on the Cerny captures). If this is true is better for me that "smart delivery", because this could bring patches supporting better resolution and framerate for older games such as Sony games, Witcher 3, etc

It's called backward compatibility and it's been a thing on XBOX One for half a decade now.

vkbest

It's called backward compatibility and it's been a thing on XBOX One for half a decade now.

Its not the same technology. Xbox One its not running the same binary game you have in 360 dvd, its downloading a special compatible and compiled version for Xbox One . That means, only selected games you can play.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Let's hope they get RTX from the get-go. If it's not available at launch that would be sad, especially after it's been delayed so much.

Its not the same technology. Xbox One its not running the same binary game you have in 360 dvd, its downloading a special compatible and compiled version for Xbox One . That means, only selected games you can play.
And how exactly will this work on PS5? From GDC presentation I understood that only top 100 PS4 games will work on PS5. It's far from "native support".

vkbest

And how exactly will this work on PS5? From GDC presentation I understood that only top 100 PS4 games will work on PS5. It's far from "native support".

No, 100 games was tested on PS5 native mode at time from GDC presentation. There are 3 modes, PS4 mode, PS4 Pro mode and PS5 native mode (using all console power), Sony is testing for using PS5 native mode at most games (4000), games not compatible on this mode will need patches or using the other 2 modes without enhancements on performance or resolution, besides its possible games not compatible with the 3 modes, like you have on some emulator games.

All games released since last week have to support PS5 native mode.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
No, 100 games was tested on PS5 native mode at time from GDC presentation. There are 3 modes, PS4 mode, PS4 Pro mode and PS5 native mode (using all console power), Sony is testing for using PS5 native mode at most games, games not compatible on this mode will need patches or using the other 2 modes.
Just to add.

PS4 games releasing from June is mandatory to devs to support PS5 native mode... games before June are the ones Sony is testing and doing the work/patch.

So Cyberpunk for example is mandatory to have a patch to support PS5 native mode from day one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom