• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR's investor's conference: Interesting bits, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 4

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Cyberpunk in spring 2019 is my guess and The Witcher 4 with Ciri as the lead character which she should be in 2023!!! Sign me up baby!!! :)

butman

CDPR not making Witcher 4 would be like Rockstar not making GTA VI. Of course it's coming, sooner or later.

If they do something like Shadow of Mordor, that is a spinoff of TLOTR sure.
But the original story that blowed and enjoyed a lot of minds is done my friend.

Buckle

Would love a Witcher game where we can create our own.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to them having a more defined (but original and created by CDPR) character like Geralt in a sequel.

dex3108

To be honest i don't want to hear that you are working on another AAA game when only thing from last game announcement is 4 year old trailer :/

zon

It would be cool if you could play as a sorcerer, or some other type of powerful character, in the next witcher game that isn't a witcher. I think most people are satisfied with Geralt and his friends and wouldn't mind something entirely new in that world.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm just waiting for the GOG side of things to start getting interesting content again. God, have they been terrible for the last year and a half.

Vinc

Pretty excited to try out Gwent. I got super into it in my Witcher 3 playthrough. The only thing is that it became too easy to the point of being broken when I got a good set of cards. I'm guessing that'll be rectified in Gwent, and I'll spend hours playing it.

Thinking about Cyberpunk and a new Witcher just gives me chills. I can't even think about that right now. That will be glorious.

I can totally see it popping its head out at Microsoft this year with more to come at the VGAs or even early next year just so MS can get the game associated with their new platform early.

Gwent will be the game CDPR is shopping around at every PAX and trade show and whatnot though.

Oh sorry I meant release-wise. Yeah in terms of a trailer or another teaser they'll definitely show something this year.

With how well The Witcher 3 sold and the fact they have the rights to it, no doubt they will do another Witcher game at some point but it probably won't be for a while now.

Hopefully Cyberpunk is equally as epic as The Witcher 3 though, very much looking forward to playing it.

Do you need to play the first 2 witchers to enjoy 3?

Not really needed but it's worth doing and will help with getting to know characters and back story even more, plus there are some nice references to some of the past games too.

Joco

A fourth Witcher game will obviously happen at some point. Although ideally I'd like to see them create another new IP after Cyberpunk 2077 (which I can't wait for btw) before they tackled The Witcher again.

Also I really hope when they do create TW4, it's not tied to any of the characters in the previous games. Make a clean break, new character, new story. No spinoffs or prequels.

Randdalf

Ciri is OP as shit.

Witcher: Origins, make-your-own-witcher (women included because they're not officially non-canon), choose a school to start from and work your way up the monster-huntin' ranks.

I sort of disagree with that. The Witcher isn't called The Witcher because it has a Witcher in it, it's called that because it's about Geralt.

Lanf

I wouldn't mind another game in the world of the Witcher but I like the idea of Geralt and Co. being done with.

Some ideas:

An RPG set in the world of the Witcher but with a more grounded story. Like maybe you're a common footsoldier or spy for one of the nations in the Witcher. Monsters would be infinitely more powerful since you're just a human.

An RPG set in ancient antiquity. Rome, Egypt, Ancient Greece etc. would be dope. Dunno if it's in their wheel house though.

An spy RPG set during the waning days of the Cold War in Berlin. Set it in like 1987 or something, close enough. An RPG of this nature exists by the way, it's an obscure game called the Third Courier, released in the late 80's.

What I'd really like though?

CDPR's take on Mass Effect-esque universe. Imagine a hard sci-fi space opera RPG with the same dark edgey tone of the Witcher. Obsidian or CDPR would acceptable.

Your ideas are wonderful, I want them all.

Ultimadrago

I'm just hoping Cyberpunk really delivers after how amazing Witcher 3 turned out. It's too easy to go downhill from here.

FeiRR

Banned
I sort of disagree with that. The Witcher isn't called The Witcher because it has a Witcher in it, it's called that because it's about Geralt.

It's called "The Witcher" because of the definite article in English. Originally there is no designation. They can go wherever then want. Ciri may be then next main protagonist if they see it fit.

Wagram

Do you need to play the first 2 witchers to enjoy 3?

Nope, but I think anyone interested should. Witcher 1 and 2 hold up. They aren't without flaws, but I definitely think Witcher 3 would be an even better experience with an understanding of the world and characters.

Van Bur3n

Ciri is OP as shit.

Witcher: Origins, make-your-own-witcher (women included because they're not officially non-canon), choose a school to start from and work your way up the monster-huntin' ranks.

Yep. That's the dream game. No need to be done with the Witcher universe itself, but we can conclude on Geralt's story.

GavinUK86

I'm happy that Gwent is doing really well for them. I don't like card games, barely played it in TW3, but everything else in that game was such a masterpiece I'm ok with it. I hope it continues to keep bringing in the money, even more when it launches properly, so the money can go back into the company and into future projects like Cyberpunk.

I like how he responded to the investor too. It seems more down to earth than what we usually hear. Other developers in the same situation would be over a barrel and developing TW4, 5 and 6 with multiple DLC's by now. CDPR sticking to their guns and what they know best. I respect them for that, always have done. If they create another game in the Witcher universe further down the line, fine. I'll buy it day one. But for now, let it rest for a while.

JUST GIVE ME CYBERPUNK 2077!

Or maybe just a little gameplay tease... please? Pretty please?

dr_rus

With Geralt's story done with that trilogy, there is only one place to go with the next game:

The Witcher: Andromeda

giphy.gif

Ciri is OP as shit.

Yuck, no. Character creator is the polar opposite of what I want from Witcher series. You can have that for Cyberpunk, keep a proper well defined protagonist for the Witcher series. Vesemir prequel seems the easiest way to go, so that they don't have to choose one of the vastly different W3 endings.

I'm also pretty sure it states in the books that no female ever successfully survived the Witcher mutations, so they are pretty much officially non canon. They could ignore that for the games, as most people won't know that anyway.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
CDPR not making Witcher 4 would be like Rockstar not making GTA VI. Of course it's coming, sooner or later.

This is my thinking as well, I would love to see a totally new protagonist in the same world: can't decide if prequel or sequel would suit it better though......

So hyped for Cyberpunk 2077: the expectations are HUGE, but I think CDPR can handle it.

The Witcher: Andromeda

You joke, but W4 will probably be made by their Krakow studio, which was the support studio for W3, although they worked on a lot of stuff so calling them support isn't really fair. IIRC, the biggest part they worked on was the cut Nilfgaardian plague questline involving Iorveth teaming up with the Temerians against a guy called Martin Krafft Ebbing. They were also heavily involved with the Blood & Wine expansion. So if it's up to them, I'd say that the future of the series is in good hands.

Still salty that Iorveth stuff got cut after they promised it would be in. It sounded dope.

Red

Can The Witcher series really be called a trilogy? Are they not essentially three completely separate stories? The only real link besides the characters are passing allusions to the wild hunt, until their appearance in game 3.

I'd hate to see a character creator. Give me a defined character like Geralt and let me go on an incredible journey with him/her.

I think you lose a huge amount of what made The Witcher so good by making the protagonist a husk the player can inhabit.

Geralt having a rich history and a well-drawn personality of his own outside of the players control made him soooo good.

Yeah, as much as I like Zelda for the blank slate protagonist, it simply wouldn't fit for the Witcher. At that point they might as well make it an MMO

I'd hate to see a character creator. Give me a defined character like Geralt and let me go on an incredible journey with him/her.

I think you lose a huge amount of what made The Witcher so good by making the protagonist a husk the player can inhabit.

Geralt having a rich history and a well-drawn personality of his own outside of the players control made him soooo good.

Absolutely agree 100%

Can The Witcher series really be called a trilogy? Are they not essentially three completely separate stories? The only real link besides the characters are passing allusions to the wild hunt, until their appearance in game 3.

Each story is self-contained, but enough carries over from each one for it to be a trilogy. The Wild Hunt is the overarching narrative, but Witcher 1 ending leads directly into Witcher 2 (Foltest nearly assassinated by a Witcher). Witcher 3 takes place years later but it is set in the fallout of the Witcher 2 epilogue (Nilfgaard's invasion.)

Clearly a trilogy imo

So what is Cyberpunk? Will it be, like, the witcher, but cyberpunk? Active combat? Quests and dialogue trees? Open world!?? Will it be the Mass Effect we deserve?! What the hell is this gaaammmeeee!!?

If it exists is not Geralt, thats for sure.
And I wouldn't put a bet on Ciri either (if they are not going back to the last books or tell the story just after she dissapeared, but that means another universe).

Top Bottom