• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR's Principal Writer says Ciri's backstory could be more of a focus in Witcher 4

The-Witcher-3-Ciri-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Ciri's backstory is something that still needs to be detailed more in The Witcher series and CDPR's principal writer says they may get back to it in the future.

CD Projekt RED has already confirmed that they will get back to the world of The Witcher after Cyberpunk 2077, however, it’s yet to be known whether the new story would return our beloved Ciri and Geralt or it would announce a full set of new characters. In a recent chat with VG247, the principal writer behind The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt said that it’s possible to see a prequel to Ciri’s story.

When asked about the possibility of having Ciri as the lead character in The Witcher 4, Jakub Szamałek, the story designer behind the latest witcher game and the principal writer behind Cyberpunk 2077, started to explain the things that the developers would love to happen in The Witcher 3, but they didn’t. He said:

"I regret we didn’t get to explore Ciri’s past a bit more. She’s such an amazingly rich and complex character.
Due to obvious reasons – well, she’s pretty much gone for two-thirds of the game – she didn’t get quite as much screen time as we writers would have liked. But hey, maybe it’s something we’ll get to get back to in the future."
Obviously, it doesn’t confirm anything about the next game in The Witcher series, but it’s heartwarming to hear that the team considers returning Ciri and focusing more on her backstory in their future projects.

Fawst

Banned
I didn’t play much of the game, but I watched my wife clear everything, including the DLCs. I thought Ciri was pretty awesome. Her playstyle is obviously wildly different from Geralt’s, so they would just need to tweak that. So long as they make the combat have some fucking weight to it, maybe that would help. Writing and graphics were no problem. Actual gameplay felt janky, which is stunning.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's no way she will be as popular as an iconic character like Geralt, but I think she's a pretty damn good character and would love to play a game in the vein of Witcher 3 with her as the lead as a sort of up and coming Witcher/bounty hunter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since they seem to have reached a gentleman's agreement with the author -

-I would expect Sapkowski to provide them with fresh material around which to base TW4.

Their relationship has been "solidified". Let the man do what he does best and craft a new chapter in the saga.

A new start, as opposed to rehashing old plot and characters, sounds much more promising to me.

@ JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered , why not add a poll?

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
was hoping they would go for ''create your own witcher story'' this time

That‘s probably the last thing I’d want them to do. The Witcher 3’s main strength was in its writing and characters. More open RPGs with a generic player character tend to have shitty stories and lacking character development.

To be fair, I’m not a creative person and lack the imagination to really enjoy make your own adventure type games. Just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Fine I guess, he shined in one of the best trilogy ever made so it's time for someone else. I just wished we could play as a Sorc instead of melee combat again.

Atrus

Gold Member
They can depower her after the battle with the White Frost and the game can pick up on her as a Witcher. Geralt and crew can show up as part of her story though the man should stay semi-retired, he earned it.

NOOOOO!! She was the worst part about the witcher 3, her gameplay sections sucked. I don't care about the books to be honest just create interesting characters for the game. I'd be much more interested in playing as Letho than Ciri.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yes! Seems like W4 will have Ciri as the main character. Just as it should be.

So you hated the books? The entire story is pretty much about her lol it's just told from Geralt's point of view.

Loved the short stories, loved all the Geralt and crew parts of the books, but yes, by the last book I was forcing my self through, I HATED every chapter with her.

Matt_Fox

The young Ciri plotline of the TV series was definitely the weakest element.

I'm with the chap who suggested "create your own Witcher", I love a good character creator and I'd personally be way more invested in that.

Arachnid

Nah, I'm good. Bring back Geralt.

No "create your own Witcher" either. That always results in a bland and forgettable main character, Geralt's more static personality with dialogue choices that all fit him is a better choice.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm not really against the idea of playing Ciri.

But isn't The Witcher a story of Geralt? Wouldn't be better create a new name for a new IP and use it as a starting point for Ciri?

Something that I'm really against is create-your-character as witcher. Sounds dumb and would diminished the franchise.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm not really against the idea of playing Ciri.

But isn't The Witcher a story of Geralt? Wouldn't be better create a new name for a new IP and use it as a starting point for Ciri?

Something that I'm really against is create-your-character as witcher. Sounds dumb and would diminished the franchise.

The books (after the short stories) were a story about Geralt, Yen and Ciri, all getting there time, though the later books became more so about Ciri, and she was always the crux of everything happening with the narrative. And depending on your choices, she is a Witcher (ish) at the end of Witcher 3

I rather they let us create our own witcher where you get to pick the witcher school you start out as than once you graduate set out on the world as a full blown monster killer that would be better than playing as Ciri make it an full blown RPG with total customization.

PhoenixTank

Give me new episodes on Netflix first.
I mean, that'll happen before Witcher 4 so... wish granted?

Not interested, they would need to some how un Mary Sue her...
Would you like to expand on this? I tend to think of author insertion or implausibly amazing characters when someone mentions "Mary Sue". Clearly not Sapkowski running around as Ciri and while her backstory is very "the chosen one" she never really overshadows the rest of the triumvirate.

jimbojim

Banned
I mean, that'll happen before Witcher 4 so... wish granted?

Would you like to expand on this? I tend to think of author insertion or implausibly amazing characters when someone mentions "Mary Sue". Clearly not Sapkowski running around as Ciri and while her backstory is very "the chosen one" she never really overshadows the rest of the triumvirate.

Of course. :D

Top Bottom