• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Cell) Thinness gene discovered, people missing ALK gene always remain thin, gene successfully switched off in mice.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just one per cent of the population are able to eat whatever they want and not put on weight, according to researchers, who claim to have discovered a 'thinness gene'.

Scientists studied thousands of people's genetic profiles and found that around one percent were missing the so-called 'ALK' gene.

These people were found to be naturally thin compared to other healthy adults, suggesting that there may be a link between this gene and their weight.

They then tested this theory on mice and flies, and found that 'turning off' the ALK gene allowed them to remain slim even after being fed a sugar and fat-rich diet.

fx1.jpg

Cancel my Nobel prize if already posted.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It will be interesting to see how this works since ALK inhibitors already exist for cancer treatment. Once you start popping it will you become thin? Or do you need to work the fat off and then just remain thin no matter what?

I need to find me a dodgy doctor.

It seems like a bad idea to block a gene that normally signals cells to divide just so you can eat unlimited Twinkies and Snickers and Coke. If your cells are not dividing, they will just die eventually from oxidative stress. Mitosis is partly rejuvenative.

I think it's gonna be harder to be attractive in a world that doesn't have any fat people. I'm pretty sure if this treatment is effective and relatively safe for humans, virtually everyone will find a way to afford it. Since it's changing a gene, I imagine this being a 1 time procedure. It kinda annoys me that I've spent the last six months seriously trying to get good at running and lost a bunch of weight to think that in my lifetime everyone might get skinny from a one time treatment. I wasn't overweight, but I'm now skinny, if I lost another 10-20 pounds I would look shredded.

I'm not sure I would get this treatment if it was available. I'm imagining there are some tradeoffs, and I'm pretty sure it's bad for your organs to eat massive quantities of food all the time, which is what I think a lot of people will be doing. We will see crazy ridiculous gluttony if this becomes an available treatment.

Mistake

I am the 1%!

As some people pointed out, it’s a blessing and a curse. If I do any form of exercise I’m up to four meals a day, possibly more. Also, weren’t there studies that this could also be because of the microbiome in your gut?

It seems like a bad idea to block a gene that normally signals cells to divide just so you can eat unlimited Twinkies and Snickers and Coke. If your cells are not dividing, they will just die eventually from oxidative stress. Mitosis is partly rejuvenative.
I've not read the article. We would have to look at how it affects healthspan in individuals with the mutation.

If it only slows division(as it is practically impossible for it to stop it.), that might be beneficial as it might reduce rate of telomere loss.
We probably shouldn't edit out mechanisms that are intended to keep us alive during lean times.
edit out, no, but if it doesn't adversely affect health, we can inhibit while we have times of abundance.

Riven326

Banned
The key is getting off your ass and exercise. Cutting your calorie intake by 500 combined with the exercise will force your body to burn fat. There's no secret behind losing weight. We certainly don't need to start removing cells or genes or whatever the fuck they're talking about here.

I went from 260lb to 165lb just by doing those two things. You can still eat chocolate and stuff like that as long as it fits in the calorie budget. I have a couple chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk everyday. But I only ear two meals a day. Sandwich and chips for lunch. Meat and veggies for dinner. My job requires I walk about five miles a day. I incorporate some cardio into that.

Anyways, you just have to be practical. Use common sense. Try to avoid fast food. That shit will change how you think about food. You wont desire veggies anymore on a fast food diet. And believe me, on two meals a day, those veggies are the mosdt desired part of the meal. Plus food tastes amazing when you're hungry. Haha.

Greedings

Scientists: discover gene which regulates fat mass.

Random internet Guy:
The key is getting off your ass and exercise. Cutting your calorie intake by 500 combined with the exercise will force your body to burn fat. There's no secret behind losing weight. We certainly don't need to start removing cells or genes or whatever the fuck they're talking about here.

I went from 260lb to 165lb just by doing those two things. You can still eat chocolate and stuff like that as long as it fits in the calorie budget. I have a couple chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk everyday. But I only ear two meals a day. Sandwich and chips for lunch. Meat and veggies for dinner. My job requires I walk about five miles a day. I incorporate some cardio into that.

Anyways, you just have to be practical. Use common sense. Try to avoid fast food. That shit will change how you think about food. You wont desire veggies anymore on a fast food diet. And believe me, on two meals a day, those veggies are the mosdt desired part of the meal. Plus food tastes amazing when you're hungry. Haha.

Lanrutcon

My Dad is like this. Man could eat a herd of deep fried cattle and still look like a rake.

I did not get those genes, I'm afraid.

obin_gam

I most likely have this haha, to my detriment :( I want to gain weight but cant, Or... I probably can but it will take steroids and PTs and a six month course to do it probably.
Alas... with jobs that time and money isnt achievable.

I believe it. When I was younger, I could eat anything, and as much as I wanted. I never got fat. I was very active, but I know I put away way more calories than I was burning.

I'm older now, and don't eat like my younger days, either in quality or quantity, but I ate like a madman until I was 40 or thereabouts and never even started to get pudgy in the slightest.

It's a blessing and a curse though because it's easier to eat garbage since you don't get that visual indicator reminding you that you're are a fat tub. :p

Last edited:
I can't fathom the litany of health problems that would arise from the masses being able to eat whatever they want consistently and long term while staying thin.

Be careful what you wish for.

Top Bottom