• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

News Cenk Uygur (Young Turks news; Justice Democrats movement) running for House of Representatives

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

The Young Turks founder Cenk Uygur filed Wednesday to run for the House seat vacated by former Rep. Katie Hill (D-Calif.), who resigned following a House Ethics Committee investigation into allegations of inappropriate sexual relationships with staffers.
An FEC filing dated Wednesday announces the formation of the "Cenk for Congress" committee, with Uygur listed as the group's treasurer. Uygur addressed the filing on Twitter, writing: "To all reporters: No comment."
The left-leaning broadcaster aligns himself with the progressive wing of the Democratic Party, and in 2016 endorsed Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) in the Democratic presidential primary. He recently endorsed Sanders in the 2020 primary, as well.
Hill's district will be the site of a special election following her resignation last month due to the publication of nude pictures of her as well as an investigation by the House Ethics Committee into allegations of an improper relationship with a House staffer. Hill had also admitted to an affair with a campaign staffer, though that relationship did not break House rules.

---

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Just play videos of him talking about the electorate and that should end his candidacy.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Is that a district where Nancy Pelosi could put up a glass of water and it would win or are there intelligent voters there?

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
I will always respect the guy. He accomplishes a lot, and keeps pushing forward.

Immigrant family, got into a good school and graduated into a well paying career. Dropped that to start online politics discussion in the infancy of internet media. Ended up creating the largest online news show. Created Justice Democrats. Now running for Congress.

Really curious to see what he learns if he gets in. Hope he keeps talking to the public about all of it.

• LOL
Reactions: Ornlu

The Pleasure

Jan 8, 2019
I will always respect the guy. He accomplishes a lot, and keeps pushing forward.

Immigrant family, got into a good school and graduated into a well paying career. Dropped that to start online politics discussion in the infancy of internet media. Ended up creating the largest online news show. Created Justice Democrats. Now running for Congress.

Really curious to see what he learns if he gets in. Hope he keeps talking to the public about all of it.
Forgot former republican to that list.

Reactions: Miku Miku

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
Really curious to see what he learns if he gets in.
If it's anything like what he learned while at MSNBC, I'm all ears to hear about the shady shit.

THE YOUNG TURKS: Cenk Uygur and Ana Kasparian talk about Mika Brzezinski’s claims that the Hillary Clinton campaign tried to silence her. Uygur argues that this is common practice that Democrats more commonly do in comparison to Republicans. Uygur and Kasparian break down how the corporate media have catered to powerful politicians and discuss evidence of how the state already controls the media.

“They care so much about manipulating and controlling the media,” Uygur says, explaining his own experience on MSNBC, “When I was at MSNBC, I had issues with the Obama administration.”

“I got told by the person who runs MSNBC...that Washington was not happy with my tone,” Uygur adds.

“This is how they play ball,” Uygur explains, “If you are on the right side and you kiss up to them, then you get goodies. Access to their weasley politicians...and more importantly, money. You get ads.”

“If you don’t kiss up to them, you get trouble.”

“That’s essentially the state running the media,” Kasparian points out.

Reactions: Miku Miku

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
Forgot former republican to that list.
Also forgot that he got a job as a well paid MSNBC host and voluntarily left the job when they asked him to sell out and tow the corporate party line. And then he told all of us all about it.

If it's anything like what he learned while at MSNBC, I'm all ears to hear about the shady shit.

Yep, I forgot to add all that too.

Even republicans should respect that he has integrity. He quit MSNBC and put his money where his mouth is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rentahamster

The Pleasure

Jan 8, 2019
The proper republican talking point is welcome him if he's for us. Otherwise, if you're from the land of brown, you're gonna make them frown.

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
Isn’t this the dude that had a bust up with Alex Jones during the 2016 election?

Goddamn that meltdown was epic 😂

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Ratings dropped fast after 2016 for TYT, it looks like it;s desperation time. Too bad he doesn't have the pull to win, or the cash.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
Don't sleep on Cenk. He'll surprise you. It just depends if he can pivot his media skills into votes. Not an easy task, especially if he's a target of the establishment.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
He's everything California could ask for, and more. Not white and supports progressives

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019

Dont forget Wolfpack the movement to add a constitutional amendment to get money out of politics.

I'm wish he announced for the presidency so we could make 'everyone and the kitchen Cenk is running for president' jokes.
Too bad that's not how you pronounce his name.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
😂 Of course you would fall for that
"Fall" for what? They are aiming to call a convention and write an amendment. It has leaders on both ends of the political spectrum.

Do you have any evidence it's anything other than what it claims to be? Considering TYT pressured Warren into not taking money from corporate donors and asked for pledges from all of the democratic candidates to do the same, they seem to be walking the walk.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
"Fall" for what? They are aiming to call a convention and write an amendment. It has leaders on both ends of the political spectrum.

Do you have any evidence it's anything other than what it claims to be? Considering TYT pressured Warren into not taking money from corporate donors and asked for pledges from all of the democratic candidates to do the same, they seem to be walking the walk.
1. You can't "get money out of politics". It's a stupid catchphrase that means nothing.

2. Elizabeth Warren will accept "corporate money"(😅 becuase private donations are good, right? GeT mOnEy oUt of pOliTics) the second she wins the primary. Stop being gullible.

Last edited:

CausticVenom

Apr 27, 2018
I give him a month before he drops out

Good for him, putting his money where his mouth is, so to speak. Off the bat, he's much more interesting than most of the other establishment nobodies in politics.
He deserves no credit at all whatsoever because he IS the establishment.

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
1. You can't "get money out of politics". It's a stupid catchphrase that means nothing.

2. Elizabeth Warren will accept "corporate money"(😅 becuase private donations are good, right? GeT mOnEy oUt of pOliTics) the second she wins the primary if she wins. Stop being gullible.
1. Of course you can, certainly yo a much better degree than what we currently allow.

2. If Warren goes back on her pledge then she doesnt get my vote. Simple. If Trump wins again because Warren lied to her voters then that's on the dems no on their voters. Personally I'd like a "no confidence" option, but I'll stick with objecting non-voter unless that happens.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Too bad that's not how you pronounce his name.
You left out the aktshually.

"Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted." - Fred Allen

'Hurr durr that's not how you pronounce quartered.'

Yes, i know, it's jenk, that was the joke. But you found the cenk in my armor.... I'm leeroy jenkins with puns. You make me grrrr now that you found me out.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
I have a feeling that district will swing back to Republican after Hill humiliated her voters. You had a bunch of young people who voted for the hip candidate last time, and they will be both turned off by Hill's antics and unable to find the big brown buffalo sufficiently hip, unless Chunk and his wife come out as bi and enter a four-way open relationship with Kasparian and her husband.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
He has the New Justice Democrats corruption 'L' to carry. May it be his personal Albatross to heft about.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
You left out the aktshually
I hope you didn't take my response as humor policing. I actually did think it was too bad the the pronunciation didn't work well for that joke, and just assumed you didn't know how it was actually pronounced. Lots of people dont.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I hope you didn't take my response as humor policing. I actually did think it was too bad the the pronunciation didn't work well for that joke, and just assumed you didn't know how it was actually pronounced. Lots of people dont.
Unfortunately, i do know the pronunciation. Sorry the pun was too jank for you, sir.

Last edited:

CausticVenom

Apr 27, 2018
I refer you to post 10.

Nope
He's still part of the establishment. The government is the largest establishment in the country and he wants full government control.

Progressivism is NOT anti-establishment, it's definitely the polar opposite.

hasan piker is colossal piece of shit, i hope that dirt bag is nowhere near cenk's campaign
Don't remind me about jank's nephew. Lol

Last edited: