• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Certain affinity ® collaborating with 343 on Halo Infinite

Dolomite

Certain Affinity has been working on Infinite since December 2019 and have a history of working on Halo MP dating back to Halo 2's 2006 DLC Map Pack. The studio was founded by Max Hoberman, former Bungie employee who worked on Oni, Halo, and Halo 2. Max was actually the MP/Online lead for Halo 2. Certain Affinity has produced maps for Halo 2, Halo Reach, and Halo 4. They were also responsible for the Halo 2 Anniversary MP for MCC. They are most likely making maps for Infinite and 343 will make the gameplay decisions, so don't expect classic Halo (unfortunately). As far as "outsourcing" goes, perhaps 343 has problem with outsourcing, but in this case CA is the best developer for the job. Some classic Halo fans would even argue that CA's Halo 2 Anniversary MP was better than Halo 4/5.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
top_men_indiana_jones.gif

RaptorGTA

I almost feel they need to pull a Metroid Prime 4 and just redo the whole game. What was shown off didn't impress most potential buyers so i don't know how much you can do where your base line is already meh. I would love to be wrong and in a year see a jaw-dropping gameplay trailer..but I cant see it right now.

MiguelItUp

Jesus Christ, this is becoming a Call of Duty title where its tendrils are put into other developers to help with multiple parts of the game. The biggest difference is that those are planned... This.... Not so much.

Good god, what did 343 do this entire time? How did they have a holiday 2020 release date set and planned? How could they feel confident about it whatsoever? in the past month, (hell, less) they announced co-development with Sperasoft, and now CA. Wow.

343 + Skybox Labs + Sperasoft + CA = Halo Infinite

I bet we're gonna see another one (or more) in the near future.

GHG

Gold Member
Today we’re proud to reveal Certain Affinity’s partnership with 343 Industries on Halo Infinite. Our team has been working closely with 343 since December of last year, continuing a long history of collaboration between the two studios working on multiple Halo titles dating back to 2006.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Jesus Christ, this is becoming a Call of Duty title where its tendrils are put into other developers to help with multiple parts of the game. The biggest difference is that those are planned... This.... Not so much.

Good god, what did 343 do this entire time? How did they have a holiday 2020 release date set and planned? How could they feel confident about it whatsoever? in the past month, (hell, less) they announced co-development with Sperasoft, and now CA. Wow.

343 + Skybox Labs + Sperasoft + CA = Halo Infinite

I bet we're gonna see another one (or more) in the near future.
They've been involved since last December, and the guy who owns CA formerly was the lead for Halo multiplayer in past games...

So this isn't quite as bad as it sounds IMO... former multiplayer lead "got his job back" with spin-off company lol

kiphalfton

According to Wikipedia they "co-developed with 343i" on Halo Anniversary Edition and Halo 4.

So I mean could go either way.

Pejo

Imagine for a second being a first party development studio for one of the biggest corporations on the planet. Then imagine that you need to outsource your work because you're either inept at it or too slow. Then imagine actually keeping your job. What the fuck is going on at 343i?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
CA has worked with 343 (and Bungie) in the past on numerous halo titles. Their relationship is similar to Treyarch and Raven Software....they work on CoD together.

CA has been working on H:I for quite a bit at this point. This press announcement is just a mechanism for them to point out the fact that they are also part of the development team.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Imagine for a second being a first party development studio for one of the biggest corporations on the planet. Then imagine that you need to outsource your work because you're either inept at it or too slow. Then imagine actually keeping your job. What the fuck is going on at 343i?
Almost every game at the very least involves hiring a ton of contractors near the end of a project to finish work (often groups of contractors via an agency).. this really isn't any different.

Almost every piece of software you use is created by people working for multiple companies.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Almost every piece of software you use is created by people working for multiple companies.
100000000% this. They wouldn't have enough room on the "back of the box" for all the studios/teams that work on games.

Even in the 2000's the number of studios working on Black Ops for example was double digits.

Last edited:

Pejo

Almost every game at the very least involves hiring a ton of contractors near the end of a project to finish work (often groups of contractors via an agency).. this really isn't any different.

Maybe this is true for bigger software companies and game developers, but a few places that I've worked had realistic goals and timelines for the dev team, and they mostly got their stuff done on their own on schedule. I get that it's not comparing apples to apples, but...

Corporations and studios outsource all the time for many reasons, this is not special... what's special is the timing of the announcement. MS must be shopping around for people who can salvage the project.

IntentionalPun

Maybe this is true for bigger software companies and game developers, but a few places that I've worked had realistic goals and timelines for the dev team, and they mostly got their stuff done on their own on schedule. I get that it's not comparing apples to apples, but...

Just really depends on the scale of the project, what the schedule looks like, what kind of company it is, etc.

It could come down to the work schedule even; not all projects even make sense to staff with full timers if the workload isn't consistent throughout a project, as you'd end up with full time people with nothing to do when the work scales down.

Also not sure what type of development you do.. but "product development" is a different beast than "software development", particularly for a publicly traded company whose product release dates are part of their financial estimates.

Your initial comment is a little ironic, as hiring consultants is even more common the bigger a company is..

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
CA has done maps for Halo 2, Reach, 4, and 2: Anniversary. They are based out of Texas. The studio was started by the former Halo 2 MP/Online lead. They also created the Doom 2016 MP (you ever notice it has some Halo elements?).

Per article they've been working on the game for a year now. They are likely primarily building MP maps and maybe some additional work (they did entirety of H2 Anniversary MP which is the best Halo MP since 3). That said, gameplay decisions will come from 343 so don't expect this means that the game will play like Halo 2 (unfortunately).

Re: Outsourcing
Perhaps 343 is outsourcing at a rate that goes beyond what a normal dev might do but this is not one to be concerned about. If anything CA is one of the best teams to make Halo content as they have produced a better MP experience w/ H2A than 343 has with Halo 4/5.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ah, they were smart enough to state it as "our ongoing partnership" to avoid the last blowup about external teams coming in to save the sinking Halo ship.

SpartanN92

Banned
Some of y'all might not know, Certain Affinity has worked with 343 in the past. They did the multiplayer maps for Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary (Halo Reach multiplayer technically) and they did the AMAZING multiplayer for Halo 2 anniversary (The game that Halo 5 SHOULD have been.)

CA was founded by a former Bungie Halo dev named Max Hoberman.
This is good news.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
So basically your confirming what others have said that they relied heavily on contract work from a third studio while trying to make this game. You wonder if the other rumor is true that the Contract house, were the ones responsible for the demo. As in 343's build didn't even work. The contracted studio/staff actually were able to make a stable build that was playable.

Fuck I can tell you heads are rolling at 343.

Would this collaboration be considered a AAAA collaboration? Or do we breakdown each company by A's, and count the A's?

The marketing wizards at MS need to get on that shit asap. Some of us need our marching orders for online discussion.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

First party studios that outsource work are either inept or too slow.

*Checks list of studios that fall into this category
Damn:
  1. Naughty Dog
  2. Guerrilla Games
  3. Sony Santa Monica
  4. Playground Games
  5. Insomniac Games
  6. Sucker Punch Studios
  7. Bend Studio
  8. Rare
  9. 343i
  10. The Coalition

And thats just off head, if I sit and actually get on Artstation I bet I could find an outsourcing studio or artist for every first party game released this generation.

Shit every pretty much first part studio must be inept or too slow, what the fuck is going on at all these studios, how are they still even employed......ohh because they outsource their work to be able to finish these massive projects in a semblence of a timely manner, nah that couldnt be it.....they are just inept or too slow.
Pejo Pejo is an absolute genius for having figured this out.

Last edited:
I appreciate that 343 with a truckload of money gave us Craig. It takes millions to be ace at the meme game. Will 343 loose Halo now? I am curious of MS just puts it on other studios going forward.

Top Bottom