• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Certain Affinity "Working On a Halo: Infinite Project for 2 Years, Big & Unannounced, Our Single Biggest Project"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
aka the Battle Royale mode.

The rest of the interview is a good look at the company, their goals and development strength etc.

The biggest thing we’re doing that’s public right now, for more than two years now we’ve been working on Halo Infinite doing something that–they’re very prescriptive about what we can say. But we’re doing something unannounced, and we’re doing lead development on that unannounced thing, from conception and design. It’s something big and new for the franchise. But I can’t say any more about it. That’s our single largest project of our three projects currently. We have close to 100 developers working on that.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
The biggest thing we’re doing that’s public right now, for more than two years now we’ve been working on Halo Infinite doing something that–they’re very prescriptive about what we can say. But we’re doing something unannounced, and we’re doing lead development on that unannounced thing, from conception and design. It’s something big and new for the franchise. But I can’t say any more about it. That’s our single largest project of our three projects currently. We have close to 100 developers working on that.
You can tell from the interview that this is gonna be the biggest unannounced big thing to ever be unannounced.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Didn't they have a br mode already? I'm pretty sure I played it, but only once as I'm not a fan of br
You are thinking of last man standing modes. Which was the OG BR in arena shooters since DOOM, Quake, UT, etc..

Only difference with BR vs LMS, is that you are on a much larger map, and the deadly barrier shrinks pushing you towards the middle.

Lognor

Banned
You are thinking of last man standing modes. Which was the OG BR in arena shooters since DOOM, Quake, UT, etc..

Only difference with BR vs LMS, is that you are on a much larger map, and the deadly barrier shrinks pushing you towards the middle.
Okay thanks. In that lms mode in infinite I'm pretty sure the map shrinks too and pushes you to the middle.

Doesn't seem like a huge difference. And two years to make? Hmm

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Hoberman: Here’s a fun tidbit for you. After 16 years at a bootstrapped startup–I started the company funding it out of my own bank account. In that entire time we’ve grown every year, and we’ve never laid off a single person, ever
Nice from what I read most companies hire and laid off massively between projects. Few does it like Nintendo.

Jennings

Two years is a long time. I bet it's already in the can and they're just waiting till Xbox's roster clears up before dropping it on us during a lull. If it's free to play I won't even need to resubscribe to Gamepass to enjoy it. It's stuff like this that keeps my XSX virtually dust free.

Last edited:

Gravemind

This might actually be good because 343 has nothing to do with it. It would be fitting that the thing that saves Halo is something that wasn't made by 343.

Hoberman knows his shit too. He was one of the main guys that were directly responsible for the success of Halo 2 multiplayer.

Im cautiously optimistic...

Last edited:

bootaski

BR is LMS with survival, exploration, and scavenging gameplay elements added to it. Last Spartan Standing used the deadly shrinking barrier mechanic.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This might actually be good because 343 has nothing to do with it. It would be fitting that the thing that saves Halo is something that wasn't made by 343.

Hoberman knows his shit too. He was one of the main guys that were directly responsible for the success of Halo 2 multiplayer.

Wondering if they'll just use the Infinite map or if its something bespoke.

Sonic 2 GIF by Sonic The Hedgehog

Halo is amazing, but super traditional. It has lots of players still on Xbox Live, but to touch that even more mainstream crowd out there and boost that further, it needs a mode specifically for that crowd.

Technically nothing is ever done with Halo that doesn't in some fashion involve 343i since they know Halo best as the Halo team, and have access to the assets, engine tools, various lore continuity stuff, basically everything that can give any team a push start working on Halo content goes through 343i. Certain Affinity are obviously the lead devs and are in charge of the concept and design, and with that it means they likely fully intend to modernize the Halo formula a bit, and that's precisely what Halo as a franchise needs to step out of its more traditional roots.

I welcome it.

Technically nothing is ever done with Halo that doesn't in some fashion involve 343i since they know Halo best as the Halo team, and have access to the assets, engine tools, various lore continuity stuff, basically everything that can give any team a push start working on Halo content goes through 343i. Certain Affinity are obviously the lead devs and are in charge of the concept and design, and with that it means they likely fully intend to modernize the Halo formula a bit, and that's precisely what Halo as a franchise needs to step out of its more traditional roots.

I welcome it.

343i knowing Halo best?

Laugh Lol GIF

Alpha Male

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the rumored Warzone 2.0 aka "Battlefield Halo" mode that was described by some people who have played it. I think some streamers and media were invited for a play test to provide feedback last year. They said it was a blast.

It's larger maps and larger player counts with PvEvP.... basically an evolution of Halo 5 Warzone. I would assume this would also be where Battle Royale mode is played.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I wonder if Halo Infinite is till a 10 year journey like Destiny was to Bungie. Because that’s what Microsoft said about Halo Infinite.

That’s our single largest project of our three projects currently. We have close to 100 developers working on that.

Uh....but what about that rumored Monster Hunter-style game, then? Seems like, if that even exists, it's further out than what certain rumors would've suggested, and it also seems like it won't be a AAA game in terms of scope given how few people are at Certain Affinity. Not that it needs to be a AAA game; Monster Hunter had a modest start itself in terms of scale and budget.

And ultimately quality is what's important. However, I think people should definitely keep their expectations for that game in check if they're expecting anything on the level of a modern AAA-style Monster Hunter title; we're looking at something more like a moderate AA type of MH-like from CA and, again, that's assuming the rumored game even exists.

I welcome it.

The problem with Halo Infinite isn't that it's "stuck" in its traditional roots. Kind of the opposite, actually: it barely had (and still lacks) a lot of the expected traditional content, and however you feel about the story, I'd say almost anyone would say the story isn't as strong as the Bungie-era games. And again, tons of missing content that is usually present with new Halo games from Day 1.

Halo Infinite's lucky it has a solid core in its gunplay, but it also needs a solid foundation in actually keeping the traditional content side strong. They can't just hope to hop on the BR trend and revive the game. If this new BR mode isn't doing some clearly innovative things, and doesn't pull in enough of the remaining hardcore/core fanbase (they're going to be the ones there Day 1 and help give it a playerbase foundation if it's good), then it won't do anything for Halo Infinite's fortunes.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
question regarding infinte. why can't we access areas once completed? like the towers and things. is there a way to do this ?

I can see I missed audio logs and want to go back in and collect them

Last edited:

Roberts

question regarding infinte. why can't we access areas once completed? like the towers and things. is there a way to do this ?

I think they will let you do that with the next update.

Banned
they should absolutely distance themselves from Halo Infinite.

whatever they are working on should be rebranded and released as a standalone game that only has the basic gameplay and engine in common and nothing else.
similar to how Apex Legends is a Titanfall game and clearly based on Titanfall 2's engine and gameplay systems, but not named Titanfall

if it's a BR call it Shock Drop, or Orbital Shock Drop or something... or ODST Battle Royale maybe
(I assume if it's a BR it will be using ODSTs instead of Spartans)

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Certain Affinity is one of those sneaky-talented studios like Insomniac or Ninja Theory that could produce extremely high quality games, if given the budget.

Keep an eye out on them, Paul Sams and Max Hoberman have great pedigrees, and Toronto and Austin are true hubs for game dev talent.

The problem with Halo Infinite isn't that it's "stuck" in its traditional roots. Kind of the opposite, actually: it barely had (and still lacks) a lot of the expected traditional content, and however you feel about the story, I'd say almost anyone would say the story isn't as strong as the Bungie-era games. And again, tons of missing content that is usually present with new Halo games from Day 1.

Halo Infinite's lucky it has a solid core in its gunplay, but it also needs a solid foundation in actually keeping the traditional content side strong. They can't just hope to hop on the BR trend and revive the game. If this new BR mode isn't doing some clearly innovative things, and doesn't pull in enough of the remaining hardcore/core fanbase (they're going to be the ones there Day 1 and help give it a playerbase foundation if it's good), then it won't do anything for Halo Infinite's fortunes.

The story in Halo Infinite is every bit as strong a story, if not better in many respects, than Bungie era games. I heavily lean to better due to the way Halo Infinite connected the past, present and future with its story, and gives Master Chief a lot more depth. I just feel many will never let go of the nostalgia of the old games, which is fair. I can't argue with respecting the games that built the franchise. Nobody can ever convince me anything Final Fantasy since FF6-9 has come close to those games. Escharum is also hands down the best main game villain the series has ever seen to date. Master Chief as a character is just plain all around better than what he was in the Bungie era of the series. Cortana has overall been a superior, much better handled character as well. Halo 5 threw some for a loop, but it made sense in the context of what happened to her at the end of Halo 4 between her descent into rampancy, her splitting off multiple versions of herself to help the chief, all culminating in a part of her doing her last to safe the Chief's life and the rest getting lost/destroyed in the wreck that was the composer and the Didact's ship. It's how she would end up discovering the legendary Forerunner Domain, which might not be forerunner at all as it seems to be before their time.

I fully agree with you on the solid foundation, and I feel Halo Infinite has that and then some. What we disagree on is how acceptable the current state is from which they hope to build up from, and that's okay. I think it's forgiven for whatever it lacked because it broke entirely new ground for the franchise, doing what no other game before it had ever done. The Campaign tried many new things and, in my eyes, succeeded at them all. I know there weren't a ton of biomes, but the way the world looked was more realistic. It felt more connected and consistent, and believable. It also fit with the story. I believe they tackled new ground on the multiplayer side as well. Academy, training mode with bots, weapon drills are collectively the best Halo onboarding process for new players yet, and it has only gotten better since launch. So what I'm left with is this. At no point is 343i or Microsoft intending to abandon Halo Infinite. It has a ton of players still in many different territories despite all the hoopla. It's really only weak on Steam, and that's it. It's quite popular on Xbox Live across multiple different countries. Halo Infinite easily has 70k-120k daily active players based on how high it places in the most played games list of many countries for Xbox Live. If Microsoft were to ever combine those lists and show us the numbers it would paint a much better picture of where Halo Infinite is. The fact it's being played by so many despite the backlash it's gotten is a very good sign imo. Halo 5 was criticized and still maintained a healthy audience on Xbox for years.

All that said, if things can turn around for Sea of Thieves the way that launched, why not Halo Infinite? If things can turn around for Halo MCC (same team and studio), why not Infinite? Look how Fallout 76 started out. It's now a massively improved game. Cyberpunk 2077 should be a lesson. Yes, we know what the anime did, but it wouldn't have worked if the game wasn't also fantastic or had come a long way. It's totally fine if only the most hardcore of the hardcore who enjoy Halo are the ones who embrace it. It's the same way for Fallout 76, for Elder Scrolls Online, for Sea of Thieves.

To get back on topic, I'm very, very excited to see where Certain Affinity takes Halo.

Sakura

The story in Halo Infinite is every bit as strong a story, if not better in many respects, than Bungie era games. I heavily lean to better due to the way Halo Infinite connected the past, present and future with its story, and gives Master Chief a lot more depth. I just feel many will never let go of the nostalgia of the old games, which is fair. I can't argue with respecting the games that built the franchise. Nobody can ever convince me anything Final Fantasy since FF6-9 has come close to those games. Escharum is also hands down the best main game villain the series has ever seen to date. Master Chief as a character is just plain all around better than what he was in the Bungie era of the series. Cortana has overall been a superior, much better handled character as well. Halo 5 threw some for a loop, but it made sense in the context of what happened to her at the end of Halo 4 between her descent into rampancy, her splitting off multiple versions of herself to help the chief, all culminating in a part of her doing her last to safe the Chief's life and the rest getting lost/destroyed in the wreck that was the composer and the Didact's ship. It's how she would end up discovering the legendary Forerunner Domain, which might not be forerunner at all as it seems to be before their time.
Barely anything happens in Infinite's story though.
There are only a handful of characters, everything interesting happens before the game starts or is going to happen after it ends, the overall setting makes little sense (Chief doesn't think to ask a single UNSC guy where Lasky is?), and half the story is just Chief and Weapon-chan talking to each other in samey looking camera angles and areas.
I really don't understand how someone could think it's better than the story in Bungie's games.

seems bizarre they didn't do that from the off

It isn't that they didn't want to do it, it's just that the new campaign format presented technical challenges they needed to solve in order to do it right. They could always easily make you go back to previous missions if they wanted to quite easily. I don't believe that was ever the issue.

Want to know what the technical challenge was? Making you back track and having the game remember all the new data points that needed to be kept track of and maintained, data points that previously never needed to be tracked in previous Halo games.

1 - Killed a high value target and collected their weapon for retrieval at a FOB? That enemy needed to stay dead, their weapon needed to always be in your collection at FOBs.
2 - Rescued a marine squad by answering their distress call? That needed to be shown as "complete" still.
3 - Captured an FOB? That needed to stay captured.
4 - Defeated a banished outpost? That needed to stay captured.
5 - Collected a certain number of Spartan Cores? You needed to maintain that number.
6 - Performed a certain number of Armor Upgrades to your Chief? Those upgrades needed to be maintained.
7 - What if you completed only specific objectives at an outpost, but not all of them, running before you had a chance to complete the rest? You need to return with the current remaining objectives being exactly the same. It couldn't just start over on you. (Come to think of it, I've never tried this....)

The basic things they didn't have in place had to do with fundamental changes to the campaign into a more open world structure. Imagine the hell they would get if they had campaign mission replays that resulted in people losing what they collected? Losing valor, which is the currency built up from completing tasks around Zeta Halo, giving you access to better marines, weapons, vehicles at forward operating bases. So better to just leave it out till you get it right.

And we should be glad they took their time on that one because the solution they arrived at is pretty damn impressive. It's basically like quick resume multiplied, but totally in game. The game for the upcoming november update consistently keeps track of two states for the player at all time. A replay mission state and a present game state. You can quickly bounce between both and pick up EXACTLY where you left off, in the middle of the same fight with the same enemy, in the middle of still falling from the top of a mountain etc. They also implemented multiple save states, so people are free to separate their playthroughs. They all show this on youtube.

So they took their time implementing it, but they made it DAMN good. Watch till 31:34

Wherever you are in your current campaign objective, it will resume exactly where you were objective wise, like after defeating that brute boss at the excavation site. And the same works for whatever mission you currently have set for campaign replay and look at the interface things they did on the tacmap to make it clear which ones are currently activated. These may seem like small things, but this is impressive stuff and it shows they took care to get it right.

Early on when the game first launched there was an issue where armor lockers you would collect that gave you armor for MP, wouldn't actually show up as being owned by you in the MP. I think the issue was tied to quick resume.

cormack12

Gold Member

The next delayed update let's you do this. It was part of the flight test.

Not really sure if this translates to a decent BR. The whole 'bust shields to expose health' just seems much richer and deeper in Apex for example and I love BTB.

If they make a much better warzone experience then I'll be there for life. Even firefight would be good tho.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The next delayed update let's you do this. It was part of the flight test.

Not really sure if this translates to a decent BR. The whole 'bust shields to expose health' just seems much richer and deeper in Apex for example and I love BTB.

If they make a much better warzone experience then I'll be there for life. Even firefight would be good tho.

So we know when the next update is gonna hit? Roughly?

Top Bottom