• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2008 MGS4 Impressions

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Epix said:
What can I say? This game in INCREDIBLE. The first two things that really caught my attention was the lighting (sunlight looked like sunlight, shade looked like shade) and the sound. The demo had about 5 guns you could use and each one had a distinct sound to it that sounded truly authentic and visceral. After a quick tutorial from the Konami rep (who interestingly told me that the game was due Q2 2008 and that they were targeting 1080p), I got to finally play. It was the same level from the TGS. I was able to switch from auto-aim to manual-aim modes easily. Killed a few guys and picked them up to try an shake some ammo out of them. Noticed that the bodies reacted realistically to the objects around them when they died (falling body hitting a car hood with ragdoll physics). Otocamo was cool, works automatically just by coming into contact with a surface. Noticed it was a little difficult for me to take cover against a wall. I was used to playing Drake and just running up to a wall, pressing a button, and watching him stick to the wall. Snake was giving me some attitude in this department. Threw a couple grenades and watched enemies roll around on the ground on fire. This game is going to sell millions. From what I saw it pretty well polished (especially in the visual department). I couldn't help but imaging what kind of epic boss battles this game has in store with this graphics/physics engine.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
TTP said:
2hx3bpg.gif

/thread

Struct09

I'm in that minority that disliked MGS3 (but loved MGS1 and MGS2), hopefully MGS4 rekindles my love for the series

ZeroTolerance

Kinan said:
Well, events list at www.sony.com/ces/ has

"Preview Sony Computer Entertainment upcoming products for Playstation 3" entry at 1pm.

I suppose there will be some blogging closer to the time, video is unlikely.

Also Playstation blog has couple of video from CES, including short LBP video featuring creation of tree from simple rectangular wood block. So awesome.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/01/07/ces-day-1-littlebigconvention/

Also from there, posted yesterday:

Hmm, what could that be?

Another Playstation event coming up guys

Countdown: http://www.timeanddate.com/counters...8&month=01&day=8&hour=13&min=00&sec=00&p0=127

WrikaWrek said:
Why no PSN demo?

Trow us a bone konami.

Go check the reaction to recent demos that have been released. There you will find your answer as to why we're likely never getting a demo for this.

WrikaWrek

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Go check the reaction to recent demos that have been released. There you will find your answer as to why we're likely never getting a demo for this.

Avoiding.

I usualy read the 1st and last lines only. I still can't believe i saw that last trailer, why so much kojima? You stabbed me in the back.

Kosma

Banned
kallisto76 said:
good, day 1 confirmed for me! hope it will be released soon in europe...

Just import it from the US or Canada like any other EU gaffer if it get delayed here.

ZeroTolerance

CES 2008: Metal Gear Solid 4 Demo Impressions by IGN

One of the features found in Metal Gear Solid 4 is that the game is fully compliant with the new Dual Shock 3 controller, so we were able to feel every shot that we fired and every bullet that hit us in the game, and this could be a solid indication that Sony is back on track with the force feedback functionality that it's current home console is missing.

Another thing that we noticed is that the game looks absolutely stunning. Everything is rendered in fine detail from the war-torn middle-eastern city that the level took place in, right down to the individual hairs on Snake's 'stache. When we asked whether or not the game will be able to run at 60 fps at 1080p, Konami said that things were still being optimized and they can't promise anything, things were on the right track.

Dever

Banned
Might as well post this here:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/844/844078p1.html

Though Kojima Productions and Konami aren't ready to announce a final release date, they did mention to us that we should hear that announcement in late February. As soon as Konami formally announces a date for MGS 4, we'll be sure to let you know, but until then, expect Solid Snake's latest adventure to arrive sometime during Q2, 2008.

edit: You have got to be kidding me :lol damn it..

tanod

when is my burrito
Struct09 said:
I'm in that minority that disliked MGS3 (but loved MGS1 and MGS2), hopefully MGS4 rekindles my love for the series

I felt that the controls and the camera made the game unnecessarily harder than it should have been. MGS3: Subsistence fixed that though.

Piper Az

What can I say? This game in INCREDIBLE. The first two things that really caught my attention was the lighting (sunlight looked like sunlight, shade looked like shade) and the sound. The demo had about 5 guns you could use and each one had a distinct sound to it that sounded truly authentic and visceral. After a quick tutorial from the Konami rep (who interestingly told me that the game was due Q2 2008 and that they were targeting 1080p), I got to finally play. It was the same level from the TGS. I was able to switch from auto-aim to manual-aim modes easily. Killed a few guys and picked them up to try an shake some ammo out of them. Noticed that the bodies reacted realistically to the objects around them when they died (falling body hitting a car hood with ragdoll physics). Otocamo was cool, works automatically just by coming into contact with a surface. Noticed it was a little difficult for me to take cover against a wall. I was used to playing Drake and just running up to a wall, pressing a button, and watching him stick to the wall. Snake was giving me some attitude in this department. Threw a couple grenades and watched enemies roll around on the ground on fire. This game is going to sell millions. From what I saw it pretty well polished (especially in the visual department). I couldn't help but imaging what kind of epic boss battles this game has in store with this graphics/physics engine.

This game is what every MGS fans have been looking for. BTW, authentic gun sounds? I didn't know MGS4 had real-life guns in the game?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Ceb said:
You've been a real fucking Debbie Downer lately. Did your salary get slashed after the split from MS?
Now why do you have to be so mean, I'm sure there's a perfect explanation for this:
Stinkles and Chespace sharing accounts. :D

tanod

when is my burrito
Piper Az said:
This game is what every MGS fans have been looking for. BTW, authentic gun sounds? I didn't know MGS4 had real-life guns in the game?

They've been real since the first MGS game.

Epix

Piper Az said:
Not sure if they are or not. What I meant was that you could feel the bass in the heavy ammo the treble in the light fully auto guns. It gave them a real sense of weight and made the game come alive. You'll know what I mean when you hear it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ceb said:
You've been a real fucking Debbie Downer lately. Did your salary get slashed after the split from MS?

Debbie Downer? I would be ecstatic if certain games came out for certain systems. Where's the downer? Who gets unhappy about MGS stuff?

Top Bottom