• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2012 |OT| - Tablets and TVs and Tech...Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warner will apparently be making an annoucment about new plans for high resolution music at CES. The article is a couple months old, so I hope this is still true.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-2...o-release-high-resolution-music/?tag=mncol;1n

Their offerings on HDTracks have run the gamut, leaning mostly toward the terrible side. I think the only way we're ever going to see proper high resolution audio, where MAYBE we'll be able to actually hear a difference, is when we start getting new music that was mastered with 24/96kHz in mind.

PaulLFC

Does anyone know if there will be a site streaming Spike's CES coverage to us here in the UK? Ginx streamed the VGAs on their site, but I can't see any mention of CES being covered, at least not yet.

9ukZn.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/8/2691915/at-t-galaxy-note-confirmed-at-ces-2012

GN for AT&T confirmed.

MercuryLS

Banned
Has no one mentioned the Vizio desktop and laptops? Looks like the first company that can truly hang with Apple in the design department.

27inchdesktopimg0230-aio-with-accy.jpg

img0171-aio-back.jpg

01img0190.jpg

kbtpadimg0214.jpg

14inchlaptopimg00850085-ul-closed.jpg

14inchlaptopimg0091-ul-open.jpg

14inchlaptopimg0145.jpg

Kukuk

Banned
I think I'd rather own a Vizio computer than an Apple, so this is okay in my book.

Not that I'd ever buy an all-in-one computer, though.

Polari

The general concept for the Vizio computers is good (albeit familiar) but the quality of the materials ruin it.

NYR

Has no one mentioned the Vizio desktop and laptops? Looks like the first company that can truly hang with Apple in the design department.

By mimicking exactly what they are doing? Um, no thanks. That is not an original design in any aspect - it is a glorified collection of apple abortions, changed enough to be different. The only reason it is appealing is because it looks like an iMac.

By mimicking exactly what they are doing? Um, no thanks. That is not an original design in any aspect - it is a glorified collection of apple abortions, changed enough to be different. The only reason it is appealing is because it looks like an iMac.

Nothing in those pictures looks like an apple abortion. Or any kind of abortion. They look quite nice actually, if a little silvery for my tastes.

NYR

i guess apple invented the light weight minimalist design.

No, but they did make the unibody iMac, which is what people are ripping off. If the iMac is a typical minimalist design, why did no one do it before Apple?

and the hardware

sony-tv-remote-450.jpg

2nd gen Sony Google TV remote.

6PwDC.png

X8t5U.jpg

Now we've received images of what appears to be the company's second generation remote control sitting to the right of its older nemesis. If you look closely enough you'll notice a full QWERTY on one side of the slimmed down remote, and what looks like a touchpad and d-pad control for remote mousing during your Google TV lean-back. The fact that we can visually identify these features is already an improvement over the original.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/8/2692223/sonys-next-generation-google-tv-remote-control-at-ces-2012

LCfiner

Quite so! Looks okay.

I think there’s enough differences in the Vizio desktop and an iMac that it’s not a flat-out copy. for one, the computer is located in the base. then, stylistically, the chromed, super thin neck is different from the iMac wedge support.

the borders, colors and curves on the trackpad and keyboard are also fairly different.

I give samsung a hard time for copying apple mobile designs because they look incredibly alike. But this Vizio AIO makes an attempt to look somewhat different while still maintaining the basic forms that make an AIO desirable to some.

if anything, my concern would be that the actual computer they’ve stuck in the base is going to be too slow. I’m also not sure I like a keyboard without major gaps between keys.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How on earth does that look like an iMac? Just because it's silver and minimalistic?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't think the PC itself is particularly iMac like, colour scheme aside, but the keyboard and trackpad are obviously direct rips.

The trackpad yeah. The keyboard looks like something from Deus Ex.

MontTrain

Banned
C'mon. The IMac is the best selling all-in-one in the world - you really think they dont sit around in meetings trying to figure out the closest way to get a piece of that pie without upsetting Apple's legal team.

Raistlin

Since some people seem pretty excited by that Ti HDMI dongle that can run Android and Google TV, I should post the following

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/04/roku-unveils-streaming-stick-squeezes-box-into-mhl-dongle/

roku-streaming-stickglamour-shot.jpg

The latest innovation from Roku CEO Anthony Wood and his squad? After reducing the size of its players to a mere hockey puck, it has now managed to fit all the necessary hardware into this tiny dongle, that plugs into the HDMI port of MHL-compatible HDTVs. Mobile High-Definition Link ports, were intended for users to hook up their mobile phones simply for control and charging all-in-one, but also powers this unit which packs WiFi and all into one tiny package and can even be controlled by the TV's remote. Now, HDTV manufacturers can build TVs that function as dumb displays without it, but become smart TVs featuring the Roku experience we've become accustomed to just by plugging one in. The other benefit? No more obsolete smart TV hardware when the updates stop flowing. While Roku has a decent track record in this regard, if you ever need a more powerful unit, it's a lot simpler to swap out a simple dongle (expect a good/better/best pattern for functions like gaming, etc., following the player line) to add features than changing an entire HDTV.

Best Buy's Insignia-branded line is the first scheduled to take advantage with pack-ins when the stick debuts in the second half of the year, although it will work with TVs from other manufacturers (Samsung, Toshiba, etc.) that meet the spec, but we don't figure the big boys will be willing to sacrifice their existing smart TV platforms very quickly. We're told the price (it will be available both as a standalone and pack-in) should be in a similar range to current Roku players, which the company also announced it has shipped 2.5 million of to date. Check after the break for the press release and pics showing how it fits in an HDTV.

The main negative here is that it uses MHL to connect to the TV, which is not in a lot of displays yet. Given it's in a lot of phones and tablets though, I expect TV adoption to pick up some steam. Obviously it isn't useful for many people right now ... but I like the direction this is going in. Hopefully they'll make an HDMI rev as well.

whats the word on glasses free 3DTVs and the Galaxy S3?
Don't know about the galaxy, but I expect we'll see a number of glasses-free prototypes and a few products that will actually hit this year. Toshiba has a 4K model that's near production and will hit in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom