• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2017 Week 7 |OT| Chooooklahoma, where the Cyclones come wrecking up the plains

Quake1028

UCF did get screwed out of a game against GTech. And noted football school Maine.

USF's opponents are 12-23, and that's only thanks to Stony Brook being 5-2.

UCF did get screwed out of a game against GTech. And noted football school Maine.

Yeah that is annoying to miss. Maine was replaced with Austin Peay, though. Which doesn't matter. Memphis took away a chance to play a ranked Navy, but they will still be tough. And Memphis themselves likely will be ranked this week. All things are still shaping up for a ranked UCF/USF game at the end of the year. And hell if Memphis keeps it up, we may get a ranked conference championship game.

But that's a bit early at this point. Lots of football to be played in the meantime.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Didn't realize Zerrick Cooper was 10/14 for like 90 yards. Why did it seem like he played worse than that?

No one's calling it chopped liver. The Bama comparison just doesn't make any sense.

Oh I wasn't comparing them to Bama. If we played Bama we'd lose by 50. Just saying UCF has been Bama like against their much weaker competition thats all

pxleyes

Banned
Quality Florida stats coming at ya.

Gators are 16-11 since QB Will Grier's suspension.

It's 13-11 without payday games.

It's 7-11 without Vandy & Kentucky.

Jim McElwain now 5-11 in games that the opponent scores more than 14.

MrJames

If Florida loses to Georgia, it will be the first time they went into November with a losing record since 1986.

pVYFamM.png

Oregon has finally regressed back to the mean, welcome back Zeroes

Not sure what was up with UW, but after seeing Browning run in circles in the backfield for like 10 minutes and then taking the sack instead of throwing the ball away... yeah I think ASU got on their heads big time.

Sammy D has regressed, but also isn't being helped by the over-conservative play calling, especially in the first three quarters. USC will lose at least one more game.

cdyhybrid

Oregon has finally regressed back to the mean, welcome back Zeroes

Not sure what was up with UW, but after seeing Browning run in circles in the backfield for like 10 minutes and then taking the sack instead of throwing the ball away... yeah I think ASU got on their heads big time.

Sammy D has regressed, but also isn't being helped by the over-conservative play calling, especially in the first three quarters. USC will lose at least one more game.

Whole offense was just a disaster. Running game was the only thing that looked decent but Smith kept trying to go deep when the OL couldn't hold up and receivers couldn't get open.

Legit might be the worst offensive performance since Petersen got here.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well, that, and Clemson has stronger wins and a less embarrassing loss.

Clemson lost to a team NC State already beat this season.

Also South Carolina is a much better team too.

There really is no reason for Clemson to be ranked in the top 10 right now other than the fact they're Clemson

Clemson only falling 6 after losing to an unranked is pathetic

Where do you drop them to? Nearly everyone's got a loss now, and quite a few top 10 teams lost to worse unranked squads. They're pretty much where they should be.

Though I'm not sure USCe is a less embarrassing loss than Syracuse is, especially since NC State beat them already. Auburn win only thing separating y'all at this point. It's kind of a toss up at the moment.

Still think Oklahoma should be ahead of Ohio State, but if everything holds as is, the committee will flip them in the end for the head to head anyways.

Also South Carolina is a much better team too.

Syracuse:
Offense ranked 14th and Defense ranked 73rd

USCe:
Offense ranked 88th and Defense ranked 83rd

And this is with Syracuse playing in a much better division.

Though I'm not sure USCe is a less embarrassing loss than Syracuse is, especially since NC State beat them already. Auburn win only thing separating y'all at this point. It's kind of a toss up at the moment.

Clemson also won at VT, who is ranked 14th. I don't believe NC State has any ranked wins, but I could be wrong.

Do we really think if Alabama and Georgia are both undefeated going to Atlanta that they will both make the playoffs? Couldn't it easily be a rematch the first playoff game just be a rematch of SECCG then?

Syracuse:
Offense ranked 14th and Defense ranked 73rd

USCe:
Offense ranked 88th and Defense ranked 83rd

And this is with Syracuse playing in a much better division.

Clemson also won at VT, who is ranked 14th. I don't believe NC State has any ranked wins, but I could be wrong.

Calling the Atlantic "much" better than the East feels a bit much right now. Better, sure.

I suppose it'll all work out. Y'all gotta play NC State AND South Carolina, after all.

Do we really think if Alabama and Georgia are both undefeated going to Atlanta that they will both make the playoffs? Couldn't it easily be a rematch the first playoff game just be a rematch of SECCG then?

There's always an avenue to that, and after this weekend, it's still very much on the table. Need more chaos, though, and both squads would have to be undefeated before they squared up.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Depends on who else has 1 loss and if it's UGA or Bama.

I could see Bama getting in sooner than UGA with 1 loss do to their recent history.

Ourobolus

Banned
AP:

1. Alabama
2. Penn State
3. Georgia
4. TCU
5. Wisconsin
6. Ohio State
7. Clemson
8. Miami
9. Oklahoma
10. Oklahoma State
11. USC
12. Washington
13. Notre Dame
14. Virginia Tech
15. Washington State
16. South Florida
16. NC State
18. Michigan State
19. Michigan
20. UCF
21. Auburn
22. Stanford
23. West Virginia
24. LSU
25. Memphis

AP:

1. Alabama
2. Penn State
3. Georgia
4. TCU
5. Wisconsin
6. Ohio State
7. Clemson
8. Miami
9. Oklahoma
10. Oklahoma State
11. USC
12. Washington
13. Notre Dame
14. Virginia Tech
15. Washington State
16. South Florida
16. NC State
18. Michigan State
19. Michigan
20. UCF
21. Auburn
22. Stanford
23. West Virginia
24. LSU
25. Memphis

How the hell LSU ranked before A&M? I get A&M don't have a great win, but they also didn't lose to fucking Troy lol. Not to mention they're one of two teams to keep a game within one score of Alabama in the past two seasons and some change. And the only reason we're really debating how good USCe is or isn't is because they have a second loss, from A&M.

ag-my001

How the hell LSU ranked before A&M? I get A&M don't have a great win, but they also didn't lose to fucking Troy lol. Not to mention they're one of two teams to keep a game within one score of Alabama in the past two seasons and some change. And the only reason we're really debating how good USCe is or isn't is because they have a second loss, from A&M.
I'm okay with it. Gives our players a whole two weeks of "being disrespected" and "nobody believes in us " going into Mississippi State, a game we could absolutely blow even though it looks very winnable.

This makes it easier to not renew my season tickets next year.

LSU back ya’ll SEC gonna be ours.

So it was you.

LSU does always seem to play us at a time when they're both, worse off than us, and still in a position where they take command of the SEC West with a W. Which I'm sure Saban prefers. Makes sure the team really wakes up for the game.

ryseing

We lost to SC on a neutral field the first week of the season when they still had Deebo, who was literally the difference maker since he scored on a kick return which ended up being the extra TD SC needed. Hardly an embarrassing loss.

FWIW I don't think losing @ Syracuse on a Friday night is embarrassing either. It's college football. Shit happens. I think Southern Cal beats Wazzu if they played again especially since Wazzu was just legitimately embarrassed but Friday night conference road games are weird.

Of course, my forgiveness for Friday night weirdness doesn't extend to losing to Cal by 34 goddamn points.

We lost to SC on a neutral field the first week of the season when they still had Deebo, who was literally the difference maker since he scored on a kick return which ended up being the extra TD SC needed. Hardly an embarrassing loss.

FWIW I don't think losing @ Syracuse on a Friday night is embarrassing either. It's college football. Shit happens. I think Southern Cal beats Wazzu if they played again especially since Wazzu was just legitimately embarrassed but Friday night conference road games are weird.

4 top 10 teams lost to unranked teams this weekend. 2 happened on Friday and 2 happened on Saturday. No need to use the Friday Night qualifier. CFB is weird and if a team isn't that great they will be exposed.

ryseing

4 top 10 teams lost to unranked teams this weekend. 2 happened on Friday and 2 happened on Saturday. No need to use the Friday Night qualifier. CFB is weird and if a team isn't that great they will be exposed.

Nah, I do think the weeknight qualifier is necessary. It definitely throws teams off and adds a chaos factor. No disrespect to Syracuse but I'm not sure they win that game if it's a Saturday nooner in the Dome.

As for the two Saturday upsets, one was in Death Valley which has its own set of chaos factors, especially when it comes to Auburn. The other was on the road late at night.

Which is pretty much what happened all around this weekend, in a nutshell.

Nah, I do think the weeknight qualifier is necessary. It definitely throws teams off and adds a chaos factor. No disrespect to Syracuse but I'm not sure they win that game if it's a Saturday nooner in the Dome.

As for the two Saturday upsets, one was in Death Valley which has its own set of chaos factors, especially when it comes to Auburn. The other was on the road late at night.

None of this really means much of anything. The teams just lost.

One less day of rest doesn't mean anything?

You must not watch Thursday Night Football :p

I think it really only affects the away team. They have to travel earlier so they have less days of practice.

That being said, Clemson wins if Bryant is 100% healthy or if the coaches aren't stubborn and plan the week with the mindset that one of the backups would start.

One less day of rest doesn't mean anything?

You must not watch Thursday Night Football :p

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize Arizona State had one more day of rest than Washington did. Only Clemson had to play on a Friday night, not Syracuse.

A number of factors went into those upsets. The teams having less time to rest wasn't much of one, if it mattered at all. Y'all niggas just lost.

cdyhybrid

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize Arizona State had one more day of rest than Washington did. Only Clemson had to play on a Friday night, not Syracuse.

A number of factors went into those upsets. The teams having less time to rest wasn't much of one, if it mattered at all. Y'all niggas just lost.

...I never said Washington played on Friday night.

Does it make the difference between winning and losing alone? Probably not. But it does contribute.

You'll find that out again once Saban retires and your third string isn't an NFL team.

Both teams get one less day of rest/practice so it should be a wash.

Like Az said, it's mainly rough for the road team. Especially if they played Saturday night previously.

Does it make the difference between winning and losing alone? Probably not. But it does contribute.

You'll find that out again once Saban retires and your third string isn't an NFL team.

Like Az said, it's mainly rough for the road team. Especially if they played Saturday night previously.

Seems like Alabama never plays Thursday/Friday games. Does Nick Saban's influence/demands have anything to do with that?

Stuff like rain and short weeks tend to be looked upon as equalizers do they not?

IDK. I think Cal was used to the forest fire induced poor air quality a lot better than Wazzu

cdyhybrid

Seems like Alabama never plays Thursday/Friday games. Does Nick Saban's influence/demands have anything to do with that?

IDK. I think Cal was used to the forest fire induced poor air quality a lot better than Wazzu

The SEC definitely does a better job of protecting their contenders schedule-wise. It helps that they only play 8 conference games as well.

The SEC definitely does a better job of protecting their contenders schedule-wise. It helps that they only play 8 conference games as well.

Yep. The Big 12 and Pac 12 average 10 P5 opponents on their schedule while the SEC avarages just 9. Its a big reason why the SEC usually has more Bowl eligible teams at the end of the season.

Texas has 11 Power 5 opponents on their schedule this season.

Got Washington and Wazzu confused because they're both similarly named Pac-12 teams I don't give much of a shit about, and they both got exposed this weekend. Oops.

The dig that I don't understand how home field advantage works because my team is better than yours is is stupid.

Don't really care who our coach is, complaining that your team only lost because it played on an abnormal day of the week is stupid. Consider it a factor, sure, but it's not deciding any contests on its own. Clemson, for example, lost because their QB was hurt and they don't have a sufficient running game, nor are they a particularly explosive team, even with Bryant on the field. Depending on a backup kicker didn't help. An extra day of practice, as an away team or not, wasn't fixing any of that.

cdyhybrid

Got Washington and Wazzu confused because they're both similarly named Pac-12 teams I don't give much of a shit about, and they both got exposed this weekend. Oops.

The dig that I don't understand how home field advantage works because my team is better than yours is is stupid.

Don't really care who our coach is, complaining that your team only lost because it played on an abnormal day of the week is stupid. Consider it a factor, sure, but it's not deciding any contests on its own. Clemson, for example, lost because their QB was hurt and they don't have a sufficient running game, nor are they a particularly explosive team, even with Bryant on the field. Depending on a backup kicker didn't help. An extra day of practice, as an away team or not, wasn't fixing any of that.

I never said you don't understand homefield advantage (and we're not even talking homefield advantage, actually - it's travel and scheduling more than the actual location of the game that I was referring to). I said it's easy to overlook it when you're so much better than every other team in football that it never comes in play. And also when your conference never puts you in these situations in the first place.

I also never said it decided contests on its own either. I merely said it wasn't meaningless!

Top Bottom