• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CGI scenes that used blow your mind and now look ugly compared to in-game graphics

Ethelwulf

I remember creating new saves every time I could while playing FFVII just to be able to watch endless times my favorite CGI cutscenes. How to forget Aeris's death scene, it marked me for a long time. Back then I said: "imagine if actual gameplay could look like this. Not a chance". Now games can look beyond what I could have ever imagined.

lawpma.gif

ExcellentAffectionateIggypops.gif

I like watching that CGI cutscene again because of pure nostalgia but it looks ugly by making a direct comparison with modern games. Current CGI's look amazing and I'm sure future Gaf could have this conversation again or look back to this thread and make jokes of it. Which CGI cutscenes blowed your mind and now they look meh compared to in-game graphics?

Some jaw-dropping gifs:

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I was so obsessed with a game called Lost Eden back in the day, both because of dinosaurs and I had grown a love for point and click adventure games on the PC at that time, but it basically enticed me into buying a PC with a CD drive.

I still think the game is great, and I love the soundtrack for just how unusual it is, but by GOD do the 3D dinosaurs look dodgy as fuck now.

Attract Mode

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I was so obsessed with a game called Lost Eden back in the day, both because of dinosaurs and I had grown a love for point and click adventure games on the PC at that time, but it basically enticed me into buying a PC with a CD drive.

I still think the game is great, and I love the soundtrack for just how unusual it is, but by GOD do the 3D dinosaurs look dodgy as fuck now.

Attract Mode
Yeah, I still have the full cardboard box and everything for the PC version of the game.

I also have it on 3DO which I recently played. Not a great game but I also enjoyed that kind of stuff back in the day. Cryo was all about that kind of CG.

TRI Mike

The intro to Final Fantasy VIII was incredible to me, I just couldn't believe my eyes. I just thought I'd never see a game looking better than that in my life. Then the Dreamcast and PS2 came out.

Asbear

Banned
Everything in Mass Effect 2 and 3. Like, I'm playing on PC, and for one the resolution of the CGI is locked to 720p and they're half the framerate of the ingame stuff, but those awful god-rays and other unfinished-looking FX they used in those CG scenes just look plain amateurish.

Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 CGI scenes

Agreed.

Also I loved FF X cut scenes (first FF game I played)

Dem Feels
5mspJ3i.jpg

Dazzling Sun
EO4W0WZ.jpg

Later finished FF 12 was full on great cut scenes that made me WEEOOOOW, this was only like a year ago too on PCSX2 when I was bored in college.

FryHole

William Birkin takes extreme measures in RE2 - a cutscene that seemed so absurdly glorious at the time that my flatmate reloaded his previous save and fetched me to watch it.

Resident Evil 2: T-Virus Outbreak: http://youtu.be/BnH5oVqyWEQ

Somehow, I still find PS1 CGI to be oddly beautiful and seem to enjoy it more than any HD stuff created today. I don't know what that says about my eyesight, but it probably ain't good.

Top Bottom