• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chained Echoes - Chrono Trigger like 16bit JRPG releases Dec. 8th for PC, PS4/5, Switch and Xbox (Gamepass). Please Be Good....

Dynasty8

Please be good... Been eyeing this one for a while. Really hope it doesn't suck. Day One on Gamepass as well.

i4ogrwuzzwz91.jpg

fmebx6z40xz91.jpg

jaysius

Banned
Let’s hope the devs actually understood what made Chrono Trigger good, too many of these indie devs are hacks and they try and say they can make a game like Chrono Trigger, when in reality the easiest way to describe their issue is Gaming Dyslexia, they don’t understand the first thing that made the original title good.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Let’s hope the devs actually understood what made Chrono Trigger good, too many of these indie devs are hacks and they try and say they can make a game like Chrono Trigger, when in reality the easi way to describe their issue is Gaming Dyslexia, they don’t understand the first thing that made the original title good.
i mean yeah but you could also just play chrono trigger

Rykan

There's just something about these Western "JRPG" like games that's just off putting. You can tell it's trying to be like a JRPG, but something about it is just off that instantly gives it away that it's a Western game. Whether it's in the art, writing or just the style of the game. It looks like a knock off instead of an "Authentic" product.

I kind of feel the same way about Sea of Stars, although that game still looks really good in its own right.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
personally i think there's more stuff you can do than get hyped for a game youre questioning will even be good or not anyways. Like maybe instead of hoping for chrono trigger esque rpgs you just play chrono trigger because that game is still great (and other rpgs of the time period like FF6 and Tales of Phantasia)

Nautilus

Banned
The art is a mixed bag
Character and monster design are horrible

I appreciate the attempt and effort, but this is not enough.

Even something that has less detail such as DQ3 for Android manages to look more interesting because of the nice art direction

1887a60ca107fda0987f9728c9fbc5b297baf884.png
Yeah, carachter art and models either look bad or generic.

But the areas, background, and the art overall is great.

Sojiro

Last time I played a game that claimed to be for fans of Chrono Trigger was I am Setsuna and I was extremely disappointed with that game, had to force myself to finish it. Going to remain super skeptical on this one unless the word of mouth is really really good.

Wow that sure is uh... a lot of stuff. And hey look guys, it's got like SNES boxes, isn't that so cool and retro? You guys like retro games right?
Oh and look! The boxes are different colors depending if you get it on Switch or PS4. Well, that settles it, gonna have to buy both so I can complete the collection.

Paltheos

personally i think there's more stuff you can do than get hyped for a game youre questioning will even be good or not anyways. Like maybe instead of hoping for chrono trigger esque rpgs you just play chrono trigger because that game is still great (and other rpgs of the time period like FF6 and Tales of Phantasia)

Sometimes these actually work out. IIRC Radiant Historia was hyped as a Chrono Trigger-like game and it turned out really good. I like it more than Chrono Trigger!

Generally I agree with the sentiment though. You're better off just doing something else than worrying about whether or not x game may be good. Plus these imitators are usually shades of what they're drawing inspiration from. Unless it's from a trusted developer, I wait until the impressions are out.

Reactions: Isa

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Sometimes these actually work out. IIRC Radiant Historia was hyped as a Chrono Trigger-like game and it turned out really good. I like it more than Chrono Trigger!

Generally I agree with the sentiment though. You're better off just doing something else than worrying about whether or not x game may be good. Plus these imitators are usually shades of what they're drawing inspiration from. Unless it's from a trusted developer, I wait until the impressions are out.
This game looks like they had a budget of $7 and are just using the term “retro” as a gimmick/excuse. Radiant was an incredible game that deserves another remaster.

Dynasty8

Wow some harsh comments on this one.

Personally I'll give the game a chance and I think it looks decent enough, especially considering everything except for the soundtrack was developed by one person apparently, that's some serious effort there.

Yup, one guy worked on it for many years. Hopefully it can be decent at the very least. I've played my fair share of shitty indies that try too hard to replicate 90s RPGs, but I'm intrigued by this one for some reason.

demonstr8

The art is a mixed bag
Character and monster design are horrible

I appreciate the attempt and effort, but this is not enough.

Even something that has less detail such as DQ3 for Android manages to look more interesting because of the nice art direction

1887a60ca107fda0987f9728c9fbc5b297baf884.png
That’s a SNES game with an Android controller overlay slapped onto it though. You should probably mention that in your post. I agree with your other statement.

nocsi

Same day as Dragon Quest Treasures. The game really has that artificial made in the west JRPG look w/o the spirit

Reactions: Isa

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
especially considering everything except for the soundtrack was developed by one person apparently, that's some serious effort there.
Had no idea about it

But you see, this is why solo developers shouldn't tackle complex projects like RPGs on their own.
An RPG takes not only a lot of time to develop and create content for, but also an equal amount of time to polish it and make it fun.

Probably should have started with small projects, taken his time and then with a small team attempted to make his dream project.

Croga

But you see, this is why solo developers shouldn't tackle complex projects like RPGs on their own.
An RPG takes not only a lot of time to develop and create content for, but also an equal amount of time to polish it and make it fun.

Nice quick interview with the dev of the game here. 7 years he's been working on this, clearly a huge amount of work went into it from that lad, fair dues to the guy to be honest.

I'll certainly be giving it a fair shot anyways myself.

Filben

Love the look and art and animations! As someone not really getting along with JRPGs I really approve of Western interpretations of Japanese games.

Cosmic Star Heroine is the only "JRPG" I've finished in a decade.

anthony2690

Banned
theres no physical copy for Xbox? Gamepass effect!!??

thumb_show-me-on-the-doll-where-he-touched-you-show-53268744.png

4Rnk.gif

X gonna give it ya digital and you will like it

Tbh, I'm not really seeing Chrono Trigger when I watch the trailer, art style doesn't have the same charm, looks more like Pier Solar imo.

I will give it a try though and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty good from what I can see on a small phone screen especially for one guy. I know how difficult and time consuming solo projects can be and 7 years is some serious dedication. Looks like a cross between Xenogears and a little bit of Chrono Cross to me. I’ll try it out.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Why would anyone spend the money for those collector’s editions of a game that has astronomically little chance of becoming a sought-after classic?

Because people want to have it? Not everyone buy collectors editions because it'll skyrocket in price later... In fact, most people who buy those don't even think about selling them

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
There's just something about these Western "JRPG" like games that's just off putting. You can tell it's trying to be like a JRPG, but something about it is just off that instantly gives it away that it's a Western game. Whether it's in the art, writing or just the style of the game. It looks like a knock off instead of an "Authentic" product.

I kind of feel the same way about Sea of Stars, although that game still looks really good in its own right.
It's like western manga.
There's always something off.

NeptuneCL

Difficult to equal Chrono Trigger. It just doesn't have to be not only good, but have good, charismatic characters, a really nice plot, good gameplay, superb OST...., overall, pretty hard for say the least.

Yumi

I think the game is better served without being compared to Chrono Trigger.

Worth watching the video, the combat mechanics seem to have depth, and there’s what looks to be something similar to FF12 license board going on.

The character models are the only part of the art direction that look off to me.

I love and miss world maps in my RPG’s. Most interested in how much in depth the turn based rpg mechanics are. Turning into giant dark knights might be interesting too.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sadly this game suffers from one of the main issues plaguing these "retro" releases: No CRT/Scanlines for a pixel art game. Downright criminal. I am assuming that if you get to the point of learning how to code and pursue the titanic endevor of releasing a video game, you are an enthusiast. An enthusiast would know that pixel art looks like absolute dogshit without CRT/Scanline filters. Same issue happened with the new TNMT release.

poodaddy

Sadly this game suffers from one of the main issues plaguing these "retro" releases: No CRT/Scanlines for a pixel art game. Downright criminal. I am assuming that if you get to the point of learning how to code and pursue the titanic endevor of releasing a video game, you are an enthusiast. An enthusiast would know that pixel art looks like absolute dogshit without CRT/Scanline filters. Same issue happened with the new TNMT release.
Modern pixel art isn't arted with CRT's in mind, and as such all those filters do is blur the high resolution sprite work. I never mind the option being included, but I only use those filters for older games where the art was specifically made with CRT and scanlines in mind, such is not the case now so the filters are superfluous.

PhaseJump

Banned
giphy.gif

I've had my eye on this ever since a trailer randomly popped up on my YT feed, that 16 bit style and elements of Xenogears caught my attention. Will pick it up at some point but what's up with the main character's name, Glenn? Really? Talk about dull and uninspired as fuck lol.

KXVXII9X

I was looking forward to this until I tried the demo. For some reason, the walking is horrendous. It felt as though I was gliding at various speeds. Some of the worst I've experienced. While parts of the game are beautiful, it has a real "indie" unpolished vibe.

Top Bottom