• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chances of a Shenmue I+II HD Collection?

Philippo

I was too young to get my hands on it during the Dreamcast day, and can't emulate with this crappy laptop, so i'm wondering if this will get some sort of HD treatment.

Maybe the reception of III announcement and the successful KS campaing will push someone, Sony or SEGA themselves, to make it?

Watching the latest Huber Hype episode sparkled my desire to play the saga more than Ep III announcement.

I know some say that it didn't aged very well (and watching some videos i kinda agree), but i want to play it if only for the value of what it brought to the gaming scene.

Plus, that main theme is goddamn awesome

Edit: Also, what would you want from the HD treatement?

Aside from 1080p/60fps of course

Didn't they show up on Partnernet a few years ago? Maybe it was a photoshopped pic, but I remember seeing a leak long ago.

SerTapTap

If Sega is sincere about their whole "we're going to suck less" thing, then I'd say it's a near certainty.

Whether Sega is going to be sensible...remains to be seen. Though if Sega isn't going to be sensible, it'd be cool if Sony at least paid them to do one anyway.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
There are apparently some legal issues with some software components used in the game's engine.

CHt5aFEWoAEWNBx.jpg:large

Nevertheless, I am pretty sure that Sega will figure that out and release the games on current platforms. The media attention Shenmue has gotten in the last days warrants the legal hassles. Can't be that hard for a lawyer to figure out the licences situation of these software components.

Nzyme32

I am confident they will do it. They have a clear showing that there is interest in Shenmue as a franchise that can actually bring them money, and can likely start working on any logistical issues before making it happen.

kewlbot

with all the attention shenmue's been getting recently Sega would be crazy not to try and get an HD collection going

also theyre planning something at TGS so we'll just have to wait and see

Persona7

Banned
I hope the rumor about legal issues can be cleared up if true. I can definitely see them re-releasing the games if that isn't the case but it is going to take time to port the versions they have to PS4/PC.

It will come with time, I can see it next year with a year away from the third game. If they go digital only It would be easily profitable I bet. (I'd kill for a disk release of both though.)

Heartfyre

It seems relatively inevitable at some point over the next two years before Shenmue III releases. If true, legal issues are just that: minor roadblocks that, so long as there's a push within the company to overcome them, will be overcome. I'm even holding out hope that, before the end of the Shenmue III Kickstarter, we'll get a verbal commitment from Sega that they're going to do it. That'd incentivise yet another funding boost.

Considering Shenmue III is on track to be the most funded video game on Kickstarter, Sega would be daft to not to capitalise on it.

Grief.exe

Hopefully a potentially successful Shenmue HD port will reignite Sega's Remaster run.

One of the publishers with one of the largest libraries stuck on dead consoles.

Also, what would you want from the HD treatement?

AA
AF
AO
60 FPS

All I need.

More games in the arcade, maybe even non Sega games. Nothing post 1988 obviously.

The control scheme will put off new players but I can't think of an easy fix.

Full analog control would be a start. It's not like the game has fixed camera angles, just give it the left stick move right stick camera scheme everything else has, unless for some reason the game engine can't handle analog stick movement.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Most likely a bonus section in Shenmue 3 will contain either the cutscenes from Shenmue 1/2 or a summary of sorts to catch up players on prior events. Much like the Yakuza games have.

topplehat

There are apparently some legal issues with some software components used in the game's engine.

Nevertheless, I am pretty sure that Sega will figure that out and release the games on current platforms. The media attention Shenmue has gotten in the last days warrants the legal hassles. Can't be that hard for a lawyer to figure out the licences situation of these software components.

This bums me out because of Skies of Arcadia also being cancelled.

I don't think it's out the question, the performance of the kickstarter might reignite SEGA's interest in making the HD ports (at least for Sony Platforms and PC). Really depends now if they see it worth the risk, probably once the kickstarter finishes.

Peltz

I want the ability to import my save file into Shenmue III from the HD remasters. I know that's probably a stretch though.

You would think that being one of the most successful Kickstarters ever would show interest and marketability for a Shenmue 1&2 HD collection. But when you look at the number of backers, it's still very low compared to the sales SEGA is used to making on big budget titles. Sonic Boom is the worst selling Sonic game, yet it still sold 490,000 copies.

Now would certainly be the best time to publish an HD collection, but even this impressive amount of backers implies that the demand for Shenmue is very low and the audience is still a niche.

Cynn

I was too young to get my hands on it during the Dreamcast day, and can't emulate with this crappy laptop, so i'm wondering if this will get some sort of HD treatment.

Maybe the reception of III announcement and the successful KS campaing will push someone, Sony or SEGA themselves, to make it?

Watching the latest Huber Hype episode sparkled my desire to play the saga more than Ep III announcement.

I know some say that it didn't aged very well (and watching some videos i kinda agree), but i want to play it if only for the value of what it brought to the gaming scene.

Plus, that main theme is goddamn awesome

Edit: Also, what would you want from the HD treatement?

Congratulations! You are now old enough to get a Dreamcast and all of it's awesome games. Report back how you like it.

Daingurse

I think Sega is going to leverage Shenmue III, and possibly release them. I heard rumors that they literally are done, but are just being sat on.

RedSwirl

Fuck.

//ARCANUM

50/50/100/0

zero

50?

i don't know, but it'd be nice if they did, and would probably be one of the few ways to make Shenmue 3 have decent sales

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
fyi everybody, that post is literally the only thing pointing to a legal issue. grain of salt and that.

True. But even if it is correct, it can't be that hard to iron such legal issues out. After all, the issue supposedly is that the licensing situation is unclear and not researched. Sounds more like they just didn't bother to put any effort into it.

Spaghetti

True. But even if it is correct, it can't be that hard to iron such legal issues out. After all, the issue supposedly is that the licensing situation is unclear and not researched. Sounds more like they just didn't bother to put any effort into it.
it depends. shenmue used a lot of new technology. the patents and rights to which may be anywhere at this point. the former holders could have gone under, merged, or had their assets sold off several times over.

still, if this is true, sega can try working on it just like they mostly untangled jet set radio's soundtrack.

amnesiac

Well if Shenmue 1+2 don't get re-released in some way, I'm going to have to pass on Shenmue 3. Would like to play through the series before buying the third installment.

it really depends on who owns what piece of technology now that Shenmue used back then, if it's a lot of legal red tape for a port that may not sell well despite the vocal fanbase (like NiGHTS), then I can see why SEGA would be apprehensive especially when they were entering the low-risk phase following the 2012 reconstruction.

With the Kickstarter bringing back the franchise back to the spotlight, they might reconsider the ports depending on how well it finishes.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
They better release one if they want people to care about the new one.

Nah.

Witcher 3 is selling very well and I can bet most people who bought probably never played Witcher 1+2.

But it would definitely help.

I still have my Shenmue DC disks. I never finished Shenmue 2 though.

Spaghetti

Nah.

Witcher 3 is selling very well and I can bet most people who bought probably never played Witcher 1+2.

But it would definitely help.

I still have my Shenmue DC disks. I never finished Shenmue 2 though.
finish shenmue II. seriously, do it. now is the perfect time.

Atolm

The ball is on Sega's roof for this one. It's up to them to port the games, not to Suzuki, which only owns the rights for a third game.

Top Bottom