• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chants of 'equal pay' accompany USWNT win

May 22, 2018
There were plenty of chants of "U-S-A" as the World Cup final unfolded Sunday, but the clearly audible chant from the stands that greeted FIFA president Gianni Infantino as he prepared to hand out World Cup medals was different: "Equal pay."

"Everyone is kind of asking what's next and what we want to come of all of this," Rapinoe said afterward. "It's to stop having the conversation about equal pay and are we worth it and should we and the investment piece. What are we going to do about it? Gianni, what are we going to do about it? Carlos, what are we going to do about it?

"It's time to sit down with everyone and really get to work. This game has done so much for all of us. We've put so much into it. I think it's a testament to the quality on the field, and I don't think everything else is matching that. So how do we get everything to match up and continue to push this forward. Because I think at this point the argument we have been having is null and void."

Within moments of the final whistle, a spokesperson for the U.S. women's players association released a statement contending the 2-0 win and all that went with it was further proof that the men's and women's national teams should be paid equally.

"At this moment of tremendous pride for America, the sad equation remains all too clear, and Americans won't stand for it anymore," the statement read. "These athletes generate more revenue and garner higher TV ratings, but get paid less simply because they are women. It is time for the federation to correct this disparity once and for all."

The Wall Street Journal reported on the eve of the first U.S. knockout round game that U.S. Soccer and representatives for the 28 players involved in the ongoing lawsuit have agreed to mediation that will begin as soon as possible after the World Cup.

Players deferred to their legal representation throughout the tournament, saying they preferred to focus on soccer, but they didn't miss the significance of the crowd's reaction Sunday.

"It's cool because unless we get to the final, and obviously win the final, maybe that chant isn't being chanted," Tobin Heath said. "So I think in a lot of ways, this team has been, I guess you could call it, single destiny with this fight for equal pay.

"I think it's our responsibility, and it's something that we love to do."

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
So let them strike at their next CBA. Its what happens in every other league.

All sports want to pay their players as little as possible. Its why each league has had to go through labor strife to get to the deals they have in place.

So the Women of US Soccer need to go into their next CBA and negotiate bigger pay and be prepared to strike if they don't get it.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

All sports want to pay their players as little as possible. Its why each league has had to go through labor strife to get to the deals they have in place.

So the Women of US Soccer need to go into their next CBA and negotiate bigger pay and be prepared to strike if they don't get it.
If a tree falls in a forest...

CDiggity

Jan 3, 2014
I'd like to see the viewership numbers first, and since this is the World Cup, I'm talking the worldwide viewership numbers.

Unfortunately, sports pay is mostly based on how much money a person/team's brand can make for sponsors and advertisers rather than performance. Winning certainly helps, but it is not everything.

Reactions: OSC and Shaqazooloo

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Using the retarded logic NFL players should get paid the same as NBA and NHL players. They are all men's leagues after all. Disregard that each league pays out under the structure of how the league is set up financially, the amount of players per team, ticket sales, TV deals, merchandise sales, advertising revenue, how greedy the owners are etc.

Women's and men's leagues are configured differently just like other men's leagues are. This isn't like two software engineers at the same company being paid differently based on nothing but sex.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eiknarf and llien

CaptainAnchovie

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Women's Cup generates around 130 million dollars in revenue, 30 million(23%~ of overall revenue) of that is paid to the team. Men's Cup generated 6 BILLION dollars in revenue and Teams recieve around 400 million(6%~ of overall revenue).
Men are UNDERPAYED given the amount of money they generate relative to women.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/03/07/world-cup-soccer-pay-disparity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/

So what do they want?
Your entire series makes only 2%~ of the revenue Men's Cup does.

Derekloffin

Jun 17, 2013
Women's Cup generates around 130 million dollars in revenue, 30 million(23%~ of overall revenue) of that is paid to the team. Men's Cup generated 6 BILLION dollars in revenue and Teams recieve around 400 million(6%~ of overall revenue).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/03/07/world-cup-soccer-pay-disparity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/

So what do they want?
EQUAL PAY... that just means they want pay raises for the guys, right? :)

Reactions: Damage Inc

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
I think this is fine, as long as a rider is attached that they will have to split their pay with any high school boys team they lose too.

After all, we cannot let world champion-level high schoolers go without pay.

So what do they want?

It's women's studies talking points. Do you expect quantitative reasoning to play a part?

Last edited:
Reactions: matt404au

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Nice to see Lousie Untermensch is still able to post her Russia autism (her superpower, by her own words) after being BTFO completely by the Mueller report.

And yet another unmoderated "humorous" GIF about assassinating Trump. Definitely Twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesseract

Rudelord

Jun 11, 2013
Is this that time of year where we pretend that women's soccer is ever going to be as noteworthy in terms of money generated that the men's league is?

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
I love how people pretend to care about women's soccer.
Like, I wonder how many of these "fans" watch them play friendlies or US matches? Whats that? Just World Cup play? Something something brownie points.

Reactions: SpartanN92

finowns

May 10, 2009
If they got the same percentage the men do they would makes less money 🤣. The men should demand equal pay.

Dec 15, 2011

So what do they want?
Yup, on the basis of this statistical information (funny how 'gender pay gap' stories are always at the expense of the actual specific details), "equal pay" would mean reducing the disproportionate share these footballers are being paid - giving them a pay cut.

And, as is always the case, these arguments are only for equality of cushy things. Never pushing for equality at the lower brackets, or equality of representation in life-threatening and hazardous jobs.

Just the privileged demanding more privilege whilst claiming to be oppressed.

All optics. No substance.
Classic @Nobody_Important bait.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
Yeah some of the photoshops surrounding her and Trump have been hilarious. I expect there to be even more when the team formally turns down a White House visit. Though at this point I think it's likely Trump just doesn't even bother inviting them so he can avoid the embarrassment of being turned down again.

Last edited:

Zog

Oct 24, 2017
I hope women can make the same as men for sports even though the women's leagues don't bring in any money. Then we can get male models being paid the same as female models despite the fact that no one is buying anything based on a male model being attached to it.
The things that benefit women rarely flip around to benefit men. For instance, college admissions. Have you heard about how they want to stop putting women in prison and release as many women as they can? Think that will ever come around to benefit male prisoners?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
It's amazing how athletes showboat. And I never knew the US Womens team were such a bunch of showboaters.

I can understand the most elite pro league (some men's league in Canada/USA or Europe depending on the sport) having the champs be arrogant.

But when second tier leagues, women's leagues, some bantamweight boxer or fighter, etc..... showboat like they are the best, it's a joke. Ya, being the best at a gimped bracket, who cares.

Celebrate if you want to winning a weaker league, but don't act like you're the heavyweight.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
This is great for the young women growing up in America. Learning how to disregard the international disrespect and show no mercy on their opponents. Prove to the world we are the greatest country on Earth and let the USA chants reign across the country. Nobody can beat us.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009

They don't have to wait, they can file lawsuits, or whatever have you.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
They don't have to wait, they can file lawsuits, or whatever have you.
why don't they threaten to strike though? Prove their point and don't play at the WC next year until they get a raise and prove to US soccer that womens soccer is what really butters their bread.

why did they agree to the CBA and now want circumvent their 5 year agreement?

Oct 26, 2018
Hey since the womens team wants equal pay, does that men I can push for that too?

I do finance/accounting and am sure there's other companies out there (especially banks, accounting firms and heck even Google) that pay their bean counters more.

Can I sue my company for similar pay even though my company is smaller with less sales and profits?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
There's something I have always questioned myself about women soccer or women sports in general?

Are the majority of women in those sports aware of how hilariously bad they are?
Watch womens hockey. No joke if you watch clips of 15 year olds in some obscure Single A league, I guarantee you the teenage dudes are better.

Watching Canada vs USA is fun to watch. Not due to skill. But more about the rivalry and the play action is so sketchy anything weird can happen. Most womens players cant even do an effective slap shot.

juliotendo

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2019
Mexico
There’s no such thing as equal pay in sports. Athletes are paid based on both talent and what they can bring to the team in terms of revenue. Ronaldo, Messi, and Neymar make millions because they bring in millions of fans and millions upon millions of dollars to the sport and endorsements. Honestly outside the small group of family and friends and super small dedicated fans - nobody cares about Alex Morgan or that pink haired freak Rapinoe. They just don’t. I’m not knocking their talents, they would easily beat me in soccer because they’re good athletes but they’re not on the same level as their male counterparts.

Same thing with women’s basketball. Absolutely nobody watches or cares about it. Why? Because people want to see LeBron or Curry play. Nobody wants to watch 8 foot tall alien masculine women sweating on each other dunking a ball. Again I’m not knocking their talents either — any of those women would school me in basketball any day. It’s just the general public doesn’t care to watch and they don’t care to pay the cash.

If you think one of these US female soccer players is going to be paid the same as Leonel Messi or Christiano Ronaldo you’re totally detached from reality. You must be living in some alternate universe of ponies and rainbows and magic fairies spraying equality glitter on everything.

Nobody watches female soccer and outside a very small audience — nobody cares!!!

If you compare attendance and viewership and total revenue of the women’s World Cup vs the “real” World Cup (men’s), the women’s World Cup is abysmal.

Real soccer fans were busy watching Copa America not the women’s World Cup.

The only sport I can think of where women can earn a killing in pay and endorsements comparable to their male counterparts is probably Tennis and that’s the only one.

Outside of that, nobody cares about women’s sports. I repeat nobody cares about women’s sports.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
There’s no such thing as equal pay in sports. Athletes are paid based on both talent and what they can bring to the team in terms of revenue. Ronaldo, Messi, and Neymar make millions because they bring in millions of fans and millions upon millions of dollars to the sport and endorsements. Honestly outside the small group of family and friends and super small dedicated fans - nobody cares about Alex Morgan or that pink haired freak Rapinoe. They just don’t.

If you think one of these US female soccer players is going to be paid the same as Leonel Messi or Christiano Ronaldo you’re totally detached from reality.

Nobody watches female soccer and outside a very small audience — nobody cares!!!

If you compare attendance and viewership and total revenue of the women’s World Cup vs the “real” World Cup (men’s), the women’s World Cup is abysmal.

Real soccer fans were busy watching Copa America not the women’s World Cup.

The only sport I can think of where women can earn a killing in pay and endorsements comparable to their male counterparts is probably Tennis and that’s the only one.

Outside of that, nobody cares about women’s sports. I repeat nobody cares about women’s sports.
A league doesn't even have to be the best to get viewers. US college sports have shitloads of viewers. And when it comes to fighting/boxing, it's not necessarily the heavyweights that get the most money or ticket sales. Although no doubt it does trend to higher skill generally gets more sales and tv contracts.

And with that, it hurts womens sports where even most women who like watching sports would rather watch the guys play than support womens hockey, WNBA or soccer. The stands are empty. So sports isn't really gender based for interest, but performance based. People would rather buy scalped tickets for $200 and sit in the rafters than get a front row ticket to a womens sporting event for $40.

Although, there are odd high rating womens sports. Anytime olympics are on, shitloads of people watch womens gymnastics and ice skating. It's like tons of women come out of nowhere to watch the gold medal. But as soon as the olympics are over, nobody seems to give a shit trying to follow the country wide tournaments they do leading up to or after the olympics.

Tennis is lucky because I'm pretty sure a main draw is them wearing skimpy skirts and sports bras and all of them are pretty lean with nice athletic bods. So they basically get a freebie checkmark for sex appeal.

Last edited:
Reactions: juliotendo

juliotendo

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2019
Mexico
A league doesn't even have to be the best to get viewers. US college sports have shitloads of viewers. And when it comes to fighting/boxing, it's not necessarily the heavyweights that get the most money or ticket sales. Although no doubt it does trend to higher skill generally gets more sales and tv contracts.

And with that, it hurts womens sports where even most women who like watching sports would rather watch the guys play than support womens hockey, WNBA or soccer. The stands are empty. So sports isn't really gender based for interest, but performance based. People would rather buy scalped tickets for $200 and sit in the rafters than get a front row ticket to a womens sporting event for $40.

Although, there are odd high rating womens sports. Anytime olympics are on, shitoads of people watch womens gymnastics and ice skating. It's like tons of women come out of nowhere to watch the gold medal. But as soon as the olympics are over, nobody seems to give a shit trying to follow the country wide tournaments they do leading up to or after the olympics.

Tennis is lucky because I'm pretty sure a main draw is them wearing skimpy skirts and sports bras and all of them are pretty lean with nice athletic bods. So they basically get a freebie checkmark for sex appeal.
Gymnastics and ice skating draw viewers because it’s softer on the eyes (the girls are “cute” and do crazy stunts and also because it’s pretty cool)

Nobody wants to watch 8 foot tall female monsters playing basketball or pink haired soccer players that look like men running around. They jus don’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: nkarafo

HarryKS

Jan 24, 2010

So what do they want?
That's why we should encourage women to get into STEM fields or more specifically Economics and Mathematics. They really need it.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
That's why we should encourage women to get into STEM fields or more specifically Economics and Mathematics. They really need it.
When I was in college, they were discussing this and it was interesting because they mentioned how the toys boys and girls play with kind of program them towards what type of career paths they take. It may be horse shit in the end, but when you think about it, girls have dolls and lots of pink frilly shit to play with, while boys have monsters and machines and shit to build (or destruct).

But hell, given the U.S's ranking in Mathematics, we need people -- period. Our scores fucking suck. We're getting beat out by countries where they barely wear shoes to school in some cases.

HarryKS

Jan 24, 2010
When I was in college, they were discussing this and it was interesting because they mentioned how the toys boys and girls play with kind of program them towards what type of career paths they take. It may be horse shit in the end, but when you think about it, girls have dolls and lots of pink frilly shit to play with, while boys have monsters and machines and shit to build (or destruct).

But hell, given the U.S's ranking in Mathematics, we need people -- period. Our scores fucking suck. We're getting beat out by countries where they barely wear shoes to school in some cases.
At the risk of giving up on the joke, I must put it out there that I am not American nor was going for any explanation. It was mostly an attempt at drawing a chuckle out of a stereotype.

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
I'd like to see the viewership numbers first, and since this is the World Cup, I'm talking the worldwide viewership numbers.

Unfortunately, sports pay is mostly based on how much money a person/team's brand can make for sponsors and advertisers rather than performance. Winning certainly helps, but it is not everything.
Yeah. So stop whining. If your sport can manage to bring in money like the men, then you'd get paid like the men.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
At the risk of giving up on the joke, I must put it out there that I am not American nor was going for any explanation. It was mostly an attempt at drawing a chuckle out of a stereotype.
Ah my bad, my humor meter has been fucked today lol.

Oct 26, 2018
Without relying on the stereotypical Asian/Indian hardcore no-life math nerd propping up math scores and STEM jobs, every first world country should be trying to shift kids to better career paths that have a future.

Instead what you get is a "Ok, kids do what you want", and it definitely seems women skew to stuff like sociology, arts, teaching, admin, retail grunt job. No doubt there's a ton of office workers working in business. And you get decent numbers of medical professionals and dentists. These jobs prop up the income levels, but ti seems womens earnings are gimped because there's so many going after so many soft office kinds of jobs,

Men are more spread out into just about every job, aside from maybe certain ones like nursing or working day care which is mostly women. Go to any mall and skim the people working there. Mostly women.

If women want more $$$, you got to spread your wings and go for more technical jobs where there's demand. It seems just about every tech company pays good money for programming, SQL, internet shit etc..... But if it's some reason mostly dudes, can't blame them.

Some jobs will always be dominated by guys.... jobs requiring strength, daring or jobs that are simply to gross hardly any women don't want to bother. How many times how you ever seen a garbageman, car mechanic, window washer dude rappeling off a building's roof and shit like that? Not saying these jobs pay a million bucks, but better than $10/hr at a ladies shoe store at the mall.

Money is out there, but you got to have the skills and balls to go after ones that pay well.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeresJohnny
Oct 26, 2018
Why not pay them the difference? It's not that much money.
Because like just about every job in life (aside from minimum wage floors), wages and salary are dependent on a few things:

1. Negotiation power of employee
2. Internally set (non-union) wage range for each job (if there is one)
3. Union set wage range or some kind of player wage/revenue sharing like NBA players getting something like 50%(?) of league revenue

If the women want more money, then do a deal with the organizers or management like everyone else does. How is that every mens pro player can negotiate contracts, but women can't?

Why is it that hard? If they are that valuable, owners and organizers will cave in and pay what they want..... and their current starting request is "equal pay"

Last edited: