• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chants of 'equal pay' accompany USWNT win

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
Are you kidding? The men get paid more from the USSF despite the fact they got almost NOTHING from the World Cup payout. What don't you understand? Seriously.
The men are better at football though.

I can't think of many careers where one can be objectively worse but still expect to be paid the same?

England Under 17s won the last Under 17s World Cup BUT the main English national team hasn't won a WC since the 1960s.
Should the under 17 boys get paid more than the main team? They won the last world cup, at their level, after all.

The men are faster, fitter and more talented that the women and if they went head to head the men would win by double digits easily.

But the women deserve to get paid the same? Come on now, don't be daft.

Even something as basic as looking at 2 potential matches.
You think the standard on display when watching the USA men's team versus the Netherlands men's team would be the same, worse or better than the standard on display when watching the USA women's teams versus the Netherlands women's team?

Regardless of who wins the standard on the mens pitch is FAR superior and their pay should reflect that standard of play.

Unless you actually think the US women's team could beat the men's team then you are just talking shite.
The better players should get better pay.

Oct 26, 2018
Are you kidding? The men get paid more from the USSF despite the fact they got almost NOTHING from the World Cup payout. What don't you understand? Seriously.
The men still got paid more despite not even making the cup?

Good on them. See? Thats good dealing. Not surprisingly the men have contracts in place and they live by it. When was the last time you saw the mens team screaming and scrambling for cba and retroactive contract breaking deals?

How many time have I told you that if you want big bucks then go sign a deal with management worth big bucks. Live with the one you own union rep signed, but for the new one ask for the moon with new terms.

Why is that hard to understand?

Last edited:
Reactions: rockbottom12
Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
I can't think of many careers where one can be objectively worse but still expect to be paid the same?
Tennis. It's pretty clear that somebody like Reilly Opelka could handle Ashleigh Barty in seven sets, but Ashleigh Barty makes a shit ton more than he does. Same with golf. Any member of the Korn Ferry tour could handle Jin Young Ko from the tips at Augusta, but who makes more?

This may be the dumbest line of reasoning I have ever seen. Congrats?

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Why is that hard to understand?
Because it's working for the USWNT? And the USMNT actually support the women's endeavor?

And how obtuse do you have to be to think a man never broke a contract or held out in professional sports. Pretty fucking obtuse. I didn't see any of you complaining when the MLS players went on strike.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Because it's working for the USWNT? And the USMNT actually support the women's endeavor?

And how obtuse do you have to be to think a man never broke a contract or held out in professional sports. Pretty fucking obtuse. I didn't see any of you complaining when the MLS players went on strike.

So breaking contracts is good? Great ethics there. Anyone who breaks a contract is an ass.

The fairest thing to do is live with the agreed upon contract and negotiate all the demands you want at contract renewal.

Problem solved.

And if the women are as smart as the men doing a deal, theyll ask for big money because according to you the women make so much more money than the guys. Lol

Oct 26, 2018
It's working for them. The USSF agreed to mediate the situation. Again, are you really trying to say no man has ever held out in professional sports? And no, they won't make more than the men. It will be about equal. LOL.

C'mon man.
Said it a million times, breaking contracts is poor ethics. Hold up your end of the bargain and renegotiate terms for next renewal for big bucks.

Find me one post where i said it is ok for anyone to break a contract.

So cut out the false accusations.

I already said that above, and you purposely cropped that part out of my post.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Most athletes, even the most popular, stick to their contracts until the end or a clause is triggered. Sitting out a contract is generally considered a dumb and shitty thing to do. Just look at Le'von Bell from this past NFL season.

They don't start a public campaign calling their boss bigots and try to take them to federal court.

Oct 26, 2018
Most athletes, even the most popular, stick to their contracts until the end or a clause is triggered. Sitting out a contract is generally considered a dumb and shitty thing to do. Just look at Le'von Bell from this past NFL season.

They don't start a public campaign calling their boss bigots and try to take them to federal court.
The womens team is even worse.

Angry guys breaking contracts sit out. Team will suspend them and not pay them. And if it gets bad, they get cut. You never hear a guy at the end of the season say the owner owes him an extra $10 million more because he just had a great year with a crap contract.

Womens team played the games, wants to break a contract, keep playing, and get retroactive bonus payments against their own union written deal because they won.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
These women are sounding entitled. It’s fucking sports, you break a contract, you can get cut and replaced.

Just like, gasp, every male league. You can go on strike, and they will use replacements.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
These women are sounding entitled. It’s fucking sports, you break a contract, you can get cut and replaced.

Just like, gasp, every male league. You can go on strike, and they will use replacements.
And to be fair, womens pro leagues in NA (soccer, hockey, WNBA) should be counting their lucky ass stars the mens leagues make money. To cover their own mens leagues costs AND subsidize the womens leagues.

All womens pro leagues have heavy subsidy sponsorships from the MLS, NHL and NBA, and for the womens pro soccer league relies on the USSF to pay for National Team player salaries as teams are too broke to cover paying themselves. That's like a pro player in baseball being paid by the government.

Without the help, all womens pro leagues wouldn't even exist. So don't act too greedy.

DragoonKain

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2013
I really don't have any strong stance on this issue, if they want to pay the women more, go ahead and do it.

What I will say though is it's hilarious watching the woke types try to one-up each other on social media over how much they love and support the USWNT for social media woke points. I don't even know these people and it makes me embarrassed and uncomfortable. It's so over the top and cringey. And this is coming from someone who very much enjoyed watching them play and was excited they won. I like the team a lot.

Oct 26, 2018
I really don't have any strong stance on this issue, if they want to pay the women more, go ahead and do it.

What I will say though is it's hilarious watching the woke types try to one-up each other on social media over how much they love and support the USWNT for social media woke points. I don't even know these people and it makes me embarrassed and uncomfortable. It's so over the top and cringey. And this is coming from someone who very much enjoyed watching them play and was excited they won. I like the team a lot.
Check out NWSL team attendance. For all the people supporting womens sports, you;d think they'd have sold out games. I bet if it wasn't for pinked haired Rapinoe battling Trump and yelling Equal Pay, 99% of people have absolutely no clue or care about womens sports.... tennis is the exception because both men and women love watching them run around whacking balls and their skirts riding up their asses.

Aside from the womens soccer team in Portland getting good attendance at 17,000/game (no idea why, but good on them for having good support), every other WNBA, womens hockey, and every other pro soccer team gets lousy attendance. You're talking around 1,000 for hockey, 4,000 for soccer (aside from Portland), and maybe 7,000 for WNBA. And recently, both womens soccer and hockey both had a league shut down, consolidating teams into one league.

Instead of complaining about lousy pay, copy whatever Portland is doing because 17,000 attendance is 3-4x every other team's games.

DragoonKain

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2013
Check out NWSL team attendance. For all the people supporting womens sports, you;d think they'd have sold out games. I bet if it wasn't for pinked haired Rapinoe battling Trump and yelling Equal Pay, 99% of people have absolutely no clue or care about womens sports.... tennis is the exception because both men and women love watching them run around whacking balls and their skirts riding up their asses.

Aside from the womens soccer team in Portland getting good attendance at 17,000/game (no idea why, but good on them for having good support), every other WNBA, womens hockey, and every other pro soccer team gets lousy attendance. You're talking around 1,000 for hockey, 4,000 for soccer (aside from Portland), and maybe 7,000 for WNBA. And recently, both womens soccer and hockey both had a league shut down, consolidating teams into one league.

Instead of complaining about lousy pay, copy whatever Portland is doing because 17,000 attendance is 3-4x every other team's games.
I saw a handful of people posting screenshots of them ordering USWNT "equal pay" shirts. Some changing their phone wallpaper to UWSNT, calling Rapinoe the president of the United States. It's like yeah everyone gets it, you aren't sexist and love all women and support women's soccer, you're a real stand-up citizen! It was nice of them to take the time to take and post screenshots of them ordering shirts just to show the world how woke they are. I don't know about you, but every time I buy something, the first thing I do is go right on social media and post screenshots of me buying it! Oh wait, no one does it unless they want attention or to grandstand.

Oct 26, 2018
I saw a handful of people posting screenshots of them ordering USWNT "equal pay" shirts. Some changing their phone wallpaper to UWSNT, calling Rapinoe the president of the United States. It's like yeah everyone gets it, you aren't sexist and love all women and support women's soccer, you're a real stand-up citizen! It was nice of them to take the time to take and post screenshots of them ordering shirts just to show the world how woke they are. I don't know about you, but every time I buy something, the first thing I do is go right on social media and post screenshots of me buying it! Oh wait, no one does it unless they want attention or to grandstand.
Now what the womens team is doing is no different than two fighters smack talking at the weigh in. It creates buzz, sells tickets and should create more cash flow. Anytime someone argues with Trump should automatically be a bucks booster.

However, that stuff only goes so far. You still have to put on a quality product to keep the dollars coming in unless the market is so big with so many loyal fans it's basically automatic you'll sell out even if last place (Boston Red Sox).

And the World Cup is only once every 4 years.

Now if the women want consistent wage growth and big deals, you got to promote the game. Lucky for national team players, they are paid by the USSF with big coffers. When they play on their NWSL team, the USSF pays their $250,000 salaries, not the club team.

But for sake of growing the game beyond their 20 player US Tourney Team, if they really gave a shit, they should be trying to promote the game so the NSWL builds too and wages go up for all players. Because that is played every year in front of 4,000 people crowds with min and max salaries of around $20k to 40k. The national team player already get annual salaries of $250,000 or so, plus bonuses. They are probably cracking $300,000+ each.

So instead of asking for more for 20 players, how about spreading the USSF wealth among the other 200 NWSL players making $30k/yr to grow the game from the grassroots level.

ramuh

Jun 7, 2013
If we are equal pay because we are on a team that represents US on the world stage. Shouldn't the USA badminton team get the same pay? It's not FAIR, they are all competing in the name of USA. They should share the spoils of all USA sports. EQUAL PAY FOR ALL USA TEAMS.

HeebieJeebies

Jan 16, 2014
Manchester
steamcommunity.com
Equal pay in football is laughable. The best Women's team probably isn't even a match for a men's team in the English 4th division, and that's being kind. Men's football has existed for over a hundred years, asking for equal pay after a handful of years of relative success is completely daft.

Reactions: Hayfield
Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Said it a million times, breaking contracts is poor ethics. Hold up your end of the bargain and renegotiate terms for next renewal for big bucks.
What about NBA players requesting trades? They had contracts. Nobody bats an eye when that happens. Paul George just up and leaves from OKC. No warning, nothing. Where is the outrage?

Oct 26, 2018
What about NBA players requesting trades? They had contracts. Nobody bats an eye when that happens. Paul George just up and leaves from OKC. No warning, nothing. Where is the outrage?
Paul George was traded. And trades are part of sports u less they have a no trade clause.

The women are breaking a union agreed to contract asking for more money for restroactive play not part of the contract.

Dont worry Connor, youll get it one day.

May 22, 2018
Paul George was traded. And trades are part of sports u less they have a no trade clause.

The women are breaking a union agreed to contract asking for more money for restroactive play not part of the contract.

Dont worry Connor, youll get it one day.
Paul George demanded to be traded after Kawhi Leonard convinced him to do it even though he had already agreed to his contract with OKC.

Reactions: ConnorDuffy1977

Mahadev

Mar 5, 2007
Imagine being this fucking delusional that you're asking so much more money when you're in a division people hardly even know exists.

You know what will work for them? Refuse to play altogether, I'm sure the millions upon millions of their fans will definitely make a fuss. God, the intersectional lunatics are so fucking out of touch with reality.

• Fire
Reactions: matt404au
Oct 26, 2018
Paul George demanded to be traded after Kawhi Leonard convinced him to do it even though he had already agreed to his contract with OKC.
And it was a mutual decision then for both sides to break it.

Still shady, but OKC also got back a ton of picks. George isnt asking for bonus back pay because he is a star player. And he doesnt didnt do childish twitter battles or SJW screaming. Nobody even knew about it until it happened so it shows (as I said before in posts), act maturely and get a deal done.

What have the womens team given up in return for asking for extra retroactive pay? OKC got a deal done, picks, and no kicking and screaming from George.

Its like asking for a raise at work. You agree to be paid a certain amount per year and have a bonus structure.

You can ask at any time to change it since people worh normal jobs have free flowing employment, not multi year deals with unions and lawyer signatures.

If the company agrees to give you more money thats great. But they can also say no. So man up and dont cry about it. But its going forward. They wont give you retroactive extra pay for last year.

Not hard to understand

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
If the company agrees to give you more money thats great. But they can also say no. So man up and dont cry about it.
The players filed lawsuit while still playing and now both sides agreeing to mediation. The company said yes, and they are going to get the money. The only people crying about it are salty bitches on internet message boards hiding behind anonymity. You're the one bitching about unwritten rules and telling women to man up. You're the whiner.

Not that hard to comprehend.

Oct 26, 2018
The players filed lawsuit while still playing and now both sides agreeing to mediation. The company said yes, and they are going to get the money. The only people crying about it are salty bitches on internet message boards hiding behind anonymity. You're the one bitching about unwritten rules and telling women to man up. You're the whiner.

If everyone in the soccer industry wants to mediate wages, then whats the fuss woth the women going apeshit with PR?

Do the deal like an adult. Its not like its a team of 10 year olds crying for pizza from a coach. These are grown adults with union contracts trying to backpeddle on pay terms.

Paul George did his deal secretly, so women can too.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
7 pages and @ConnorDuffy1977 is still cherry-picking details to refute, leaving dozens and dozens not addressed.
OP skulks back in to throw a weak jab as well. But nothing we're not already used to seeing.
What isn't addressed? And what facts are "cherry-picked"? Your comment was devoid of any substance and/or logic. You should look in the mirror when making your bullshit accusations. I've done nothing but post links to substantiate my claims and fortified my argument with facts.

Dec 15, 2011
Denying 7 pages of cherry-picking in responses in the thread of 7 pages of cherry-picking in their responses.
Invests more time throwing insults.

That sure told me. :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Watch out. ConnorDuffy might resort to his killing blow: repeating over and over again that you haven't provided a single piece of relevant information while tripping over every logical fallacy in the book.

Dec 15, 2011
I, and others have made coherent arguments.
You've just decided to cherry-pick elements that you feel you can competently refute.
Hence my statement pointing this out.

Ignoring the rest of the details and refusing to address them (and even when the act of you ignoring these details, you refuse to acknowledge them - pretending instead that it simply doesn't exist) - is pure rejection of reality on your part.

Doubling down on name-calling and denial after you've been shown to be in denial and investing more time in name-calling is not a smart play.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
What argument are you making? I will refute it easily with facts.
I have, most recently, made the argument that you cherry pick aspects of arguments you feel you can refute and completely evade and ignore all other details.

You have, in your most recent replies evaded and ignored this detail, thus showing to be factual.
This 7-page thread is littered with other examples, but the one provided is the most recent and ironic.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
Congratulations on your most recent failure to make good of your "I will refute it easily with facts" claim, despite it having already been proven false over the last 7 pages

This is the terminal velocity course of someone who has doubled down over and over and over again to the point of absurdity.

Pull the cord before it's too late.

• LOL

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
he demanded a trade after already filling his clauses in his original contract. Its not as if Paul George was traded just last week too OKC and then trade to the LA clippers.

Do you people actually watch sports? I mean seriously. You're comparing a trade of a player who is one year from free agency to an entire team filing a federal lawsuit against their boss to essentially extort them for money because they signed a bad contract 3 years ago.

an actual comparison would be Paul George suing the OKC Thunder, demanding to be to be paid multiple times on top of the payout of his original contract

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I don't really care for their antics either. I think the political grandstanding is ridiculous. But that doesn't change the fact they deserve more money. Be objective.
Are you fucking serious? 😅😅😅

"Let's be objective about these millionaires being bigger millionaires. They deserve to be overpaid"

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I'm sorry, but that is incorrect. PG signed a four year, $137m contract Last off-season. He even stated, "I'm here to stay." This isn't that hard.

Paul George signed a contract after completing his original contract with OKC. He wasn't traded to them and then immediately went to LA.

He also didn't file a federal lawsuit against OKC

Than why are you crying about this?

switchback27

Jul 26, 2018
I'm sorry, but that is incorrect. PG signed a four year, $137m contract Last off-season. He even stated, "I'm here to stay." This isn't that hard.

The situation isn't analogous. When PG demanded a trade, the Thunder had no obligation to trade him--they could have sat his ass down for as long as they would have liked. The Clippers came in with a deal that blew away the Thunder, so they acquiesced--it was a voluntary decision by the Thunder. PG didn't take the Thunder to court demanding he get traded; if he did, he would have been laughed out of court. His statement of "I'm here to stay" has no bearing on the situation.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Uh, dude. Paul George signed a 4-year contract last year. A year later, he demanded a trade to the Clippers. Are you drunk?
Sigh... Paul George was traded to OKC, and signed a deal with them that he completed. He signed a new contract before his pending FA status started.

That is not in any way similar to this. He didnt file a lawsuit, he didn't accuse the OKC of anything unlawful. He exercised his option to leave. Big fucking whoop

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
He signed a new contract before his pending FA status started.
He signed a four year deal with OKC. He was supposed to be with them through the 21-22 season. Then last week he told them he wanted out of that four year contract. He completely broke the four year deal. He did NOT complete his contract. You're flat wrong.

Melvin Gordon is right now doing the same thing. He has a contract. He wants a new one. He will probably get it.

Last edited:

switchback27

Jul 26, 2018
Let's get this straight. Connor's right that PG signed an extension that would have had him play in OKC until 21-22. However, the mere fact that PG wanted a trade did not mean that the trade was inevitably made--LAC needed to give up A LOT to get PG. PG did NOT "break the contract"--he expressed his desire and the team acquiesced when they received a suitable offer. A subtle but clear difference.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
PG did NOT "break the contract"--he expressed his desire and the team acquiesced when they received a suitable offer.
Fair enough. But when your star player comes to you and demands a trade, that puts you in a pretty bad position as an owner. You had this guy locked up and *poof* that contract didn't matter. But you're right. The Melvin Gordon or LeVeon Bell situations are probably more analogous. These guys simply want more money. My point is that this sort of thing does happen in professional sports. Quite frequently.

Last edited:

switchback27

Jul 26, 2018
Fair enough. But when your star player comes to you and demands a trade, that puts you in a pretty bad position as an owner. You had this guy locked up and *poof* that contract didn't matter. But you're right. The Melvin Gordon or LeVeon Bell situations are probably more analogous. These guys simply want more money.
I don't disagree. However, the owner does have the option of saying "fuck you" to the player and having him be a non-entity, as was the case with Bell--it was only because Bell had incredible talent (and because there was another team that wanted to make splashy moves) that Bell was able to get traded a new contract with a different team even after sitting out a year.

I don't think the USWNT mediation will be as favorable as you think Connor. If the mediation results in status quo, then I believe the women do need to do the equivalent of "holding out" and refuse to play--make the USSF feel the hit in their pockets. The risk in doing that, of course, is that you garner bad press (especially because it's representing your country) and the USSF may call their bluff and simply divert their attention to the men more, resulting in a lose-lose situation. Furthermore, in case of a strike, the USSF would not be obligated to pay the women the guaranteed salaries baked into their current CBA (although I may be wrong about that--I'm not a labor lawyer).

I think there are several courses of action:
1) The women play to the end of the current CBA, bring in facts and figures favorable to them in the next CBA negotiations, and bargain hard. This would be the less satisfying but more solid way for lasting change, provided that the women continue to bring in revenue equal to or better than the men.
2) The women strike. See my answer above for what may happen in such a scenario.
3) The women sue. However, I would have a hard time believing that a court would render a CBA (an agreement reached with the players' consent, mind you) null and void just like that.

*Edit: Mixed up the Antonio Brown and the Leveon Bell situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam