• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chaos Reborn |OT| He made Xcom, you know...

jesu

KypIAWT.jpg

Chaos Reborn is a turn-based tactical role-playing game created by Julian Gollop and crowdfunded through Kickstarter. The game is a remake of Gollop's 1985 game Chaos: The Battle of Wizards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3giLKQt99c

Came out today, there has never seemed much of an interest in it on Neogaf, hence me making an |OT!

eSLwelQ.jpg

It's a turn based tactical wizard simulator, a remake of one of the best ZX Spectrum games ever.
And Chaos Battle Of The Wizards was the basically the best multiplayer game ever.
The most fun you could have with 8 people gathered round a black and white TV.

Julian Gollop the creator is kind of famous, probably most know for creating the Xcom/UFO series.
9tuPOht.jpg

Julian Gollop is a British designer of strategy games and strategy video games, and the founder of now-defunct game studios Mythos Games (Target Games) and Codo Technologies. Gollop has designed many video games for numerous systems since the early 1980s. His most popular work to date is the X-COM series of science fiction games, in particular the first and third games in the series, on which he worked together with his brother, Nick, for MicroProse.

In 2009, IGN ranked Julian Gollop and Nick at 66th place among the top video game creators of all time.

Younger viewers might remember his Ghost Recon 3DS game.
tKhgIY1.jpg

Chaos Reborn was Kickstarted and struggled to get funded to be honest.
Went right down to the wire IIRC.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206403106/chaos-reborn-from-the-creator-of-the-original-x-co
He ran a great Kickstarer though with updates every month and a playable online prototype from the get go.

The world of Chaos Reborn is incredible. A world fractured by magic; humans, dragons, vampires, unicorns and other magical races all clinging for life on torn pieces of a broken world, floating in a sea of power; a struggle for power over what remains of the Earth. Against this, a never-ending string of battles between wizards - wizards who summon magical creatures to fight by their side to defeat their opponent.

Sounds cool eh?

It's not all multiplayer there is a single player campaign for training your wizard and skills

Chaos Reborn is a game of battling wizards in which you cast spells and summon creatures in order to defeat your enemy. The game will feature an extensive RPG mode where you can seek knowledge, power and wealth by adventuring in the Realms of Chaos. You will be able to join guilds, trade items and ascend the social ranks in order to become a God.

Anim_Elephant_Idle01_209x209.gif

Screenshot01_209x209.jpg

Anim_Unicorn_Idle01_209x209.gif

Anim_Hydra_Idle01_209x209.gif

Screenshot02_400x400.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXe2IcNNo60

http://www.chaos-reborn.com/game-guide
They've also got a small but healthy community and run monthly competitions
http://www.forum.chaos-reborn.com/
So even if the game flops, there is always people on there to find matches with.

Enjoy!

O5ibZx9.jpg

and some blurb from the Kickstarter

'I’m excited about Chaos Reborn because it turns out to be a smart and interesting game even in this early, prototype form … it feels much more like the work of a smart young design-punk than something feeding on the sour blood of nostalgia.' - Alec Meer, Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Chaos Reborn is a game with nail-biting decisions and twists of fate. Every battle is different, every realm is unique, and there is always something new to discover.

Based on my cult classic ZX Spectrum game ‘Chaos’, first published in 1985 by Games Workshop, Chaos Reborn is part sequel, part re-imagining of that original game brought up-to-date with high quality presentation.

The magic combat system remains true to the original Chaos. It is all about summoning a host of weird and mythical creatures, moving and fighting with them, and using your wizard to attack, defend, buff and de-buff with large array of spells. It is highly tactical and fast paced. But Chaos Reborn expands considerably on this by offering multiplayer modes, a single-player RPG system and co-op play.

Cast disbelieve if old.

Better add the Steam link as well!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319050/

It's 15% off at the moment.
£12.74 in British money.

Xenoflare

That ghost recon 3ds game is really, really good.

Kinda sad that it never really got recognized

Looking forward to this game as well

epmode

This has been one of the smoothest crowdfunding-to-release projects I've ever seen. The game's pretty great too, even if I would have preferred something with more of a single-player focus.

mclem

Bottom-left wizard is screwed unless they own those units next to them. That gooey blob's going to cause severe problems otherwise.

I love Chaos, a lot. As a primarily single-player gamer, it was the one big exception when I was a kid. As such, I'm rather curious what the SP component's like this time around; it really doesn't feel like such a concept fits with Chaos, but I'm interested to find out and give it a go.

As a frame of reference, my default modern explanation for the game is "Imagine Magic: The Gathering with a board".

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This has been one of the smoothest crowdfunding-to-release projects I've ever seen. The game's pretty great too, even if I would have preferred something with more of a single-player focus.

Yea it's really a campaign that all would be crowdfunding developers should look at.

Consistent, thoughtful updates through every stage of development, and a constantly evolving early access version. Great stuff.

jesu

How extensive is the co-op?

I couldn't figure out a way to play with friends, might just be me though.
You can volunteer to be a helper or an invader.
Helper means you join someone elses single player game and help take down the wizard.
Invader means you play as the opposing wizard.

That's all I've done so far, helped someone, got helped.
I know how to play the game, but I don't understand the extra mechanics yet.
Might need to go back to that forum and do some reading!

Sinatar

That typo in the thread title is kinda driving me nuts.

X-COM is what Julian made, XCOM is the Firaxis one.

KDR_11k

So from what I understand the key mechanic is "bluffing" creatures, summoning them without the "cost" (random chance to fail depending on the power), any opponent can call your bluff, if correct the creature is destroyed instantly, if wrong they're penalized?

jesu

Well 'He made UFO you know' rhymes.

I could have rhymed Gollop with bollock, but I'm not a poet and I know it.

Are there eventual plans for a console version?

I don't think he was adverse to the idea, but the game would have to be successful on PC before they could branch out.
Here is something I found

4r: So far the game is set for a release on PC, Mac and Linux. With the way strategy games have sold recently on consoles and portables, have you considered bringing Chaos Reborn to 3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS4 or XBO?

It’s not in our current plans, but I certainly have a fondness for the 3DS. We would have to investigate the practicalities though, because it would need some special design for 3DS features. The game could work well on the Wii U for local multiplayer where the player whose turn it is can use the Gamepad to select spells and illusions secretly while the other players watch the action on the TV. However, we will have to see if we can raise enough funds to consider working on these platforms.

I'd totally steal my daughters 3DS if it came out on that!

Rest of the interview...

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2014/04/01/kickin-it-with-julian-gollop-chaos-reborn/

Sinatar

So from what I understand the key mechanic is "bluffing" creatures, summoning them without the "cost" (random chance to fail depending on the power), any opponent can call your bluff, if correct the creature is destroyed instantly, if wrong they're penalized?

Right.

So essentially you summon monsters to do your fighting for you. You have a % chance of success in summoning the creature of your choice based on it's strength and your alignment compared to the creatures alignment. You can instead though, cast an illusionary version which has a 100% chance of success.

Every wizard has a disbelieve spell that when cast on illusionary creatures destroys them instantly. Since you can only cast 1 spell per turn, if you disbelieve something that turns out to be real, you've wasted your whole turn to accomplish nothing and that beasty you're trying to get rid of is still going to eat your face.

jesu

It's not a huge part of the game, I never cast fakes for example.
(well I might do sometimes, but I'm not telling you that!)
I don't think it is a key part of the game, no.Well it kind of is I suppose lol.Depends on your strategy.
I don't cast fakes much, but I do 'disbelieve' when I feel I need to.

If you cast a fake spell it has a 100% chance to cast.
Other players can then 'disbelieve' it.
So if you cast a dragon early on, it's going to look fake, and people will disbelieve it.
That uses up their turn though, they can't cast anything else that turn.

I backed this, but haven't been following it that closely as it has been going so well.

What happened to the DRM-free version? Are we supposed to be getting a download link, a gog key....?

GUN-NAC

Bought my copy yesterday. I've got way too many unfinished games in progress right now, but I'll make sure I put some time in.

I backed this, but haven't been following it that closely as it has been going so well.

What happened to the DRM-free version? Are we supposed to be getting a download link, a gog key....?

http://www.forum.chaos-reborn.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2915

We are not using the Steam DRM system, but we are using the steam authentication for logging in to the game. We will be releasing on GOG when we have sufficient offline content, and we will have an alternative login system.

Sinatar

This game really nails the tension and risk vs. reward that Julian Gollop is so good at. Each action you take is nailbiting as fuck.

Really liking this so far.

CzarTim

This game really nails the tension and risk vs. reward that Julian Gollop is so good at. Each action you take is nailbiting as fuck.

Really liking this so far.

Yeah the emotional swings are fantastic. You can have your back against the wall and then one clever play and a lucky roll wins you the match.

Falk

that puzzling face
Holy wow, I'd written this off (No offense against multiplayer-centric games, but there are way too many of them and they dry up way too quickly - even the AAAs) but single player campaign + Gollop is really, REALLY tempting.

robin2

is there a way to invert right and middle mouse button functions (so, scrolling with middle and rotating with right)?

I'm going to pick this up soon - I loved the original on the Spectrum and the beta for this (which was a couple of years ago now, I think?) was good fun too.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This looked really interesting back when I first saw it, didn't bother investigating much though. Now that it's out I'm gonna have to take a deeper look.

Sinatar

How's the Single Player and Skirmish Content for the game? Looks awesome!

It's pretty cool. You wander around a world map battling wizards, visiting towns, buying spells/upgrades and the like. There is also a Dark Soulsian multiplayer aspect in that players can invade you for PVP and you can summon other players for assistance in coop.

Memory

How's the Single Player and Skirmish Content for the game? Looks awesome!

It has not all rolled out yet apparently so we have some more incoming. Currently there is a skirmish mode which is cool and realms which is even cooler but is dependent on the creators. The one i'm playing now is called "The Journey begins" and is quite fun so far. In realms you can duel other wizards, battle monster bases, play word quests and hire mercs, among other things i'm still discovering. You can request co-op help but i have not tried that as i'm more of a single player person.

I've only played for about 3hrs so far but its certainly a game i will be playing off and on for a while, its pretty much Magic the gathering in physical form. The polish level is superb and the art style and audio is also top notch.

robin2

realms are pretty cool.

beware of attacking a paladin with a paladin --> loop of swings until one of them dies.

deleted

It's pretty cool. You wander around a world map battling wizards, visiting towns, buying spells/upgrades and the like. There is also a Dark Soulsian multiplayer aspect in that players can invade you for PVP and you can summon other players for assistance in coop.

It has not all rolled out yet apparently so we have some more incoming. Currently there is a skirmish mode which is cool and realms which is even cooler but is dependent on the creators. The one i'm playing now is called "The Journey begins" and is quite fun so far. In realms you can duel other wizards, battle monster bases, play word quests and hire mercs, among other things i'm still discovering. You can request co-op help but i have not tried that as i'm more of a single player person.

I've only played for about 3hrs so far but its certainly a game i will be playing off and on for a while, its pretty much Magic the gathering in physical form. The polish level is superb and the art style and audio is also top notch.

Sounds good so far! I'll keep an eye out for it during my christmas buyings!

Sinatar

It just dawned on me what the campaign of this reminds me of, it's been bugging the crap out of me.

Etherlords 2.

No wonder I like it so much, EL2 is awesome.

deleted

It just dawned on me what the campaign of this reminds me of, it's been bugging the crap out of me.

Etherlords 2.

No wonder I like it so much, EL2 is awesome.

Yep, this was what I was thinking about when I read about this game.

Etherlords was awesome!

I can't really pick a single thing wrong with this game. Some might be turned off by the RNG, but it really is a game of managing that probability. Impeccable art style that dodges the usual stodgy fantasy motifs, tight mechanics, great music...

...and indeed, that Etherlords II campaign vibe. That's spot on.

Fantastic game.

Zelias

Banned
I loved the original Chaos, got excited when this was first announced, and then it dropped off the radar a bit for me. Glad to see it got released, hopefully I'll get around to it soon :p

Oublieux

I can't really pick a single thing wrong with this game. Some might be turned off by the RNG, but it really is a game of managing that probability. Impeccable art style that dodges the usual stodgy fantasy motifs, tight mechanics, great music...

...and indeed, that Etherlords II campaign vibe. That's spot on.

Fantastic game.

It has RNG but it is highly manageable RNG (unlike the mess that is Armello) since you have multiple tools at your disposal, such as the chaos/law bar, mana burning, casting illusions, etc. I think that's what makes it a well-balanced game myself.

It feels surprisingly very much like poker the more I play it because, even with the element of luck, skilled players consistently come out on top.

It has RNG but it is highly manageable RNG (unlike the mess that is Armello) since you have multiple tools at your disposal, such as the chaos/law bar, mana burning, casting illusions, etc. I think that's what makes it a well-balanced game myself.

It feels surprisingly very much like poker the more I play it because, even with the element of luck, skilled players consistently come out on top.

Yep, agreed. The lack of mechanical strategic cruft makes it feel very fresh. Straightforward concepts, left up to the player to utilise.

CzarTim

Yup, I've definitely gotten unlucky in some games but I've won way more than I've lost.

robin2

having some long and balanced matches lately.

will the single player be the way to unlock new spells? going by memory they said 80 spells in total but right now doesn't look like that to me (in alpha i remember zombies and red/green dragons: where they completely replaced by rat pack/hydra?).
(i also think the spell selection favors law, most of my games end in high law territory).

Top Bottom