• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville police helicopter crash preliminary report released by NTSB

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
NTSB Issues Preliminary Report on Virginia State Police Helicopter Accident
WASHINGTON (Sept. 5, 2017) — The preliminary report for the NTSB's ongoing investigation into the Aug. 12, 2017, fatal crash of a Virginia State Patrol helicopter in Charlottesville, Va., was released Tuesday.

The pilot and the observer, both Virginia State Patrol officers, were killed in the accident.

PR20170905.jpg

The accident helicopter over Charlottesville on Aug. 12 (Photo: Virginia State Police)

The preliminary report summarizes factual information collected at this early stage of the investigation; it does not contain analysis and does not state probable cause for the crash. The information in the report is preliminary and will be supplemented or corrected as necessary as the investigation continues.

Among the facts contained in the report are:

- Radar data indicated that just prior to the accident the helicopter was flying north-northwest at an altitude of approximately 2,200 feet above mean sea level before it began to turn to the right and descend rapidly.
- Security camera video shows the helicopter spinning in a nose down pitch attitude before it descended into trees.
- All the main helicopter components were recovered at the accident site but most were damaged by crash forces and a post-impact fire.
- The debris field was several hundred feet long. The fuselage came to rest on the ground, the tail rotor was located in a tree, and some components of the helicopter were recovered from the roof of a nearby house.
- No evidence was observed to suggest that the helicopter was struck by another aircraft, animal or object.
- The wreckage was retained by the National Transportation Safety Board for further examination.

Link to preliminary report:
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20170813X82426&AKey=1&RType=Prelim&IType=FA
nZDTllQ.png

nj1OGLp.png

I think it would be safe to say that the helicopter was not shot down like some have suggested. The pilot also seems to be very experienced.

Scirrocco

I had never heard the shot down theory. I just immediately assumed mechanical failure.

It was only really suggested because the timing was suspcious, happening around a rally of anti-government folks where 1 other person was murdered. I don't think there was ever really any evidence for it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
- No evidence was observed to suggest that the helicopter was struck by another aircraft, animal or object.
so catastrophic mechanical failure?

Top Bottom