• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlyne Yi accuses David Cross of being racist toward her

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

In case anyone misses the subtle bullshit at the end of his tweet there, Rashomon is a classic Japanese film directed by Akira Kurosawa exploring unreliable narrators who all recall different versions of the same event. Because, you know, she's Asian.

Uh. I'm fine with that part of the tweet.

I don't know, not sure if I'd be up for apologizing for something I don't recall doing. Now if multiple people said you did the thing, or you have a history, yeah. And really, what does she get out of making it up? But I can see why someone wouldn't immediately get down on their knees, especially when the admission can hurt their job prospects, if they don't recall doing it.

So say "I don't remember this, I'm terribly sorry for any offence I may have caused" and leave it at that.

What you DON'T do, is turn it around and go "I don't remember so her recollection of the event is probably wrong" as though minorities go around imagining racist incidents like they're having a bad trip.

Or he's citing Rashomon because of, you know, the bolded?

lol sorry but you really aren't going to convince me for a second that a guy annoyed that he has to apologize for being called out for racism is going to reach back to a Kurosawa film for a hashtag because it uses an unreliable narrator trope.

Sanjuro

Doesn't he drop the n-word pretty casually in his standup? Not surprised tbh.

FO4xGAw.gif

Saya

wait people actually think he included #rashomon because of that film's unreliable narration... good lord

RangerX

Banned
I always thought that joke he made about Koreans eating dogs was a bit assholish when he was being interviewed by a Korean American woman.

lol sorry but you really aren't going to convince me for a second that a guy annoyed that he has to apologize for being called out for racism is going to reach back to a Kurosawa film for a hashtag because it uses an unreliable narrator trope.

It created the trope, and is the most well known example of it. You say "rashomon" and people know exactly what it's referencing. Using a movie to try and defend your real life actions is tacky as fuck regardless though/

norm9

So say "I don't remember this, I'm terribly sorry for any offence I may have caused" and leave it at that.

What you DON'T do, is turn it around and go "I don't remember so her recollection of the event is probably wrong" as though minorities go around imagining racist incidents like they're having a bad trip.

I dunno, Faraci said this and we know how that turned out. I think you go full contrition or nothing at all.

Ralemont

not me
It's entirely possible for someone to misremember events, but I'd believe someone's memory who was offended by a comment more than someone who said it and didn't think much of it.

Sanjuro

He absolutely was using it in that context.

...and that context sounds stupid.

groansey

I find it incomprehensible given his body of work that David Cross is genuinely racist. Especially that he'd just walk up to an asian person and say this stuff unironically. However it seems very likely he did say this extremely offensive stuff either because he was on drugs or as some "clever" comic bit, but his "apology" and lack of ownership are piss-poor and borderline insulting to the victim. Meh.

Man, it's nuts to me how people don't realize that even if the accusation is exaggerated or false (doesn't seem to be the case here), how much better you look if you just own up to it and acknowledge fault?

The first time we met, you spit directly in my face. I'm waiting.

see5harp

wait people actually think he included #rashomon because of that film's unreliable narration... good lord

Why else would he use a well known classic film right after he explains that he remembers the events differently? That's his entire response wrapped up in a single reference.

Ashodin

I find it incomprehensible given his body of work that David Cross is genuinely racist. Especially that he'd just walk up to an asian person and say this stuff unironically. However it seems very likely he did say this stuff in an exttremely offensive way because he was on drugs or as some "clever" comic bit, but his "apology" and lack of ownership are piss-poor and borderline insulting to the victim. Meh.
You can be racist and not know you're being racist

Perhaps I'm giving Cross too much credit but making a racist remark with a fake southern accent seems like potential satirizing of bigoted rednecks?

Blader

Rashomon popularized that trope and is famous for doing so

I just think the Asian woman hence Asian film name drop is a kind of a reach for a guy whose idea of being racist is "ching chong ching chong"

He should've left it out anyway though because it's fucking lame and undermines the sincerity of an apology

Erheller

"This accusation from Charlyne took me by surprised [sic] and was deeply upsetting."

Oh, the irony

Bit of a stretch.

Or maybe he was referencing Rashomon for the bolded reason and not because she's Asian.

Eh... If he quoted #SevenSamurai or #BreakfastAtTiffs, sure. That would be a direct reference because of her heritage. But are there really that many well known movies with multiple unreliable narrators?

Also it sounds like she has (edit: Phillipine) ancestry, not Japanese.

This is what people do when they're being low-key racist to you. They hide their words under the excuse of plausible deniability, and when you call them out on it, they go "Bruh you're overreacting I was TOTALLY saying that because of some other reason and not because I was being racist! Can I no longer say the name of any Asian movies? You're the real racist here!"

see5harp

I find it incomprehensible given his body of work that David Cross is genuinely racist. Especially that he'd just walk up to an asian person and say this stuff unironically. However it seems very likely he did say this stuff in an exttremely offensive way because he was on drugs or as some "clever" comic bit, but his "apology" and lack of ownership are piss-poor and borderline insulting to the victim. Meh.

I highly doubt he was intentional, but you do and say a lot of dumb shit under the influence. He probably should just apologize.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
x
It created the trope, and is the most well known example of it. You say "rashomon" and people know exactly what it's referencing. Using a movie to try and defend your real life actions is tacky as fuck regardless though/

Agree on both parts. Using the hashtag was idiotic, but people just saying that Rashomon was only used as a stab at Asians needs to watch the film (it is so good).

But again, idiotic.

JKM78613

Neo Member

That GIF is totally devoid of the context of the skit. Gilvin is the butt of the joke there.

That said, if people can chop up your images to prove the opposite point you still messed up somewhere. Nobody is out here repurposing “Hitler in Springtime” for pro-Alt-Right purposes.

I just think the Asian woman hence Asian film name drop is a kind of a reach for a guy whose idea of being racist is "ching chong ching chong"

He should've left it out anyway though because it's fucking lame and undermines the sincerity of an apology

There's totally a chance that you're entirely right, but I think anyone could agree (and you seem to) that he's clearly annoyed he has to make this apology and reaching for an Asian film reference to justify his roundabout way of calling her a liar about his Asian racism is probably not the best idea. I just find it hard to believe it's unintentional or entirely innocent.

Remove the hashtag and that apology is still anything but sincere.

L Thammy

That GIF is totally devoid of the context of the skit. Gilvin is the butt of the joke there.

That said, if people can chop up your images to prove the opposite point you still messed up somewhere. Nobody is out here repurposing ”Hitler in Springtime" for pro-Alt-Right purposes.

For what it's worth, I see people trying to do that with the Donald Duck anti-Nazi cartoon all the fucking time. Well, maybe not using it as a alt right meme, but using it to shut down criticism with "see even Donald Duck was racist".

Pepboy

Eh we all look alike right? (Its Filipino/Filipina)

Sorry I thought I had read it in the article, but probably just that I've been reading Three Kingdoms and playing RotK 13 with Sun Yi. Now I realize Yi would be the given name. At the very least I've been studying Japanese lately for Dragon Quest X and knew "Yi" was not a japanese syllable.

Probably shouldn't have posted without being sure. But tried to double check shortly after (I'm on mobile).

Regarding the "Filipina" comment, wouldn't you say "She is a Filipina" to describe a woman from the Philippines? But as an adjective, since I am trying to modify "ancestry", google tells me that "Phillipine ancestry" would be correct? But maybe that site was wrong? It's kind of off topic but this has confused me before so any feedback is great.

Sanjuro

This is what people do when they're being low-key racist to you. They hide their words under the excuse of plausible deniability, and when you call them out on it, they go "Bruh you're overreacting I was TOTALLY saying that because of some other reason and not because I was being racist! Can I no longer say the name of any Asian movies? You're the real racist here!"

Maybe. In this case, the movie doesn't reinforce any Asian stereotypes and is referenced quite often in that context. I think people latching on to that and missing all the other non-apology garbage is missing the point. He also had other posts on the matter before that.

Lowmelody

This fucking sucks, I love(d) Cross. His ridiculous parody of an apology confirms two things, first that what she said is true (which shouldn't even need confirmation) and that he has not changed since the encounter. That fucking hashtag at the end seals it, bastard.

I'm gonna have to rethink some shit.

Wow...

Fucking speechless.

Although, I notice my family is casually racist towards Asians the more I visit home lately [we're all in our 30s now, all seven children], and when I call them out on it [gently, but firmly, they can handle it they have good hearts] - they actually FIGHT me on it [for a bit], until I persist just enough to make them realize what they're doing.

I think a lot of us are blind to the racism we express, ESPECIALLY towards people of Asian descent.

"Bad Asian drivers", "good at math", I could go on...

I find it incomprehensible given his body of work that David Cross is genuinely racist. Especially that he'd just walk up to an asian person and say this stuff unironically. However it seems very likely he did say this extremely offensive stuff either because he was on drugs or as some "clever" comic bit, but his "apology" and lack of ownership are piss-poor and borderline insulting to the victim. Meh.
So, diet racist?

There isn't a significant difference between ironic racism and real racism to the target.

Can someone link his history with the N word?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom