• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-CHASE- (ex-Cing eShop game) releases May 11th, full trailer + characters

GSR

http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/chase_tooikioku/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6eFqA-HIJc

If you missed the previous thread, this is a "hard-boiled" adventure game directed by Taisuke Kanasaki (Another Code/Hotel Dusk) with other former Cing staff also working on it. Published by Arc System Works.

The game focuses on Shounosuke Nanase (the man) and Koto Amekura (the woman), two detectives in Tokyo's Third District Unsolved Cases Division. Five years ago, a boy named Yuuto Suemura accidentally caused an explosion that resulted in a death. Now, an anonymous caller to the division tells Shou and Koto that the explosion was murder instead, and the case is reopened.

Gameplay involves interviewing suspects and examining old photos of the crime scene to reconstruct what happened. (Strangely, the game doesn't support 3D.)

No localization announced yet AFAIK.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Fuuuuuuck, I got so God damn excited as soon as I read the thread title, only to have my hopes and dreams crushed in mere seconds :(

Sorry. Assumed folks would take it as still being JP-only unless explicitly stated otherwise (sadly).

It's okay, it's not your fault if many of us still are naive enough to hope for a localization :"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""")

randomkid

No Rika Suzuki, but I'm still so into this. Not worried about localization chances considering the random obscure garbage that makes it over these days, there are enough outfits in need of things to bring over that there might even be a bidding war going on!

Whoa, that is so much sooner than I thought!

Hope it does get localized... On the bright side the wait gives me more time to finally get around to the original Hotel Dusk.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Aksys brings over a lot of completely worthless 3DS eShop games so I'd be flabbergasted if they're not excited to release this one.

Mivey

The main character looks almost exactly like Kyle Hide from Hotel Dusk...
It's his estranged Japanese twin brother.

Hope they can find some ace translators for this, the Kyle Saga had excellent localisations, one of the best on the DS, I'm sure.

GSR

That's sooner than I expected, it's also only ¥800.

If I had to guess, this is a backdoor pilot of sorts for an episodic series. If the game sells well, they've got the framework in place for more cases; if it bombs, it doesn't look like it was tremendously high-budget to begin with.

takoyaki

If I had to guess, this is a backdoor pilot of sorts for an episodic series. If the game sells well, they've got the framework in place for more cases; if it bombs, it doesn't look like it was tremendously high-budget to begin with.

That would make a lot of sense; from what we know about the game, it's 2 detectives working at the Unsolved Cases Department. So it's basically a police procedural, adding new cases would be easy.

Come on Treehouse you can do it.
treehouse-620x350.jpg

@MUWANdo

Banned
Aksys has a good track record bringing over ASW eShop games, so if you're concerned about getting this game you should direct your requests to them.

D-Man

This is definitely an instant purchase for me if it gets localized. I miss Kyle Hyde, so I'm okay with his Japanese lookalike filling the CiNG-sized hole in my heart.

i haven't finished it yet (parsing through it is slow going for me, lol) but i think a big reason there's really not much in the way of impressions is it's just, like, shooort from what i hear. and really low budget (honestly, not a bad thing for me, i fucking WISH we got more low/mid budget games like this during this gen). it feels like testing the waters more than anything, and is clearly meant to be the first episode in a series.

and yeah, it's much less interactive than most cing games, for better or worse. less adventure game jank, but you also don't really get a sense of place at all, which was imo one of the best parts of the kyle hyde games. it's really just talking. we'll see what happens when/if the next part is announced. it's definitely not, like, *cing's big comeback* or anything, but hopefully it's a sign of more to come.
also please get rika suzuki back D:

GSR

Bought and played through this the past few days. It's... okay? It's clear it was really low budget (and the credits show a similarly small staff), which isn't explicitly a bad thing, but it's very noticeable. The whole game just takes place in the Unsolved Cases Division, with the occasional photograph of the crime scene or small flashback, and there's maybe five or six music tracks. And the characters look decent, but there's not much animation to them (they're Live2D) and the crime scene photos are bizarrely washed out, like they've been through some bad photoshop filters.

The story is fine, and the writing decent enough (though boy, Shounosuke makes Kyle look like a nice guy), but there's not really a lot of game here. It's super linear, with just a few questions (virtually all of the "pick the right answer" variety, not branching choices) and the occasional "examine parts of the photograph" moment (with one completely nonsensical get-it-in-one-go-or-it's-game-over part.)

I realize this all sounds pretty rough, but I did enjoy it - it's just clear that they were really limited in what they could do. I hope the sequel it extremely clearly sets up is a little more ambitious if it gets greenlit; Cing's games were helped by the atmosphere of their locations, so putting everything in a tiny office kills the vibe a bit.

Also, it took me about 2 hours to run through. So yeah, short!

takoyaki

^ you weren't lying about the game being short, I played it in one sitting and it took me around 2 and a half hours. But I enjoyed my time with the game, the case was interesting and felt like a VN version of a good episode of a Crime Drama.

More backgrounds than that one room really would have been nice (felt like a bottle episode); I also thought that there wasn't enough backstory given on the two detectives, like the developer assumed that everyone had read the prequel story from the website. Up until the last part when 'the chase was on', it felt a bit handholdy. But if this was supposed to be the tutorial episode and future parts will offer more of a challenge and freedom, this could turn into a fun series.

The concept of solving a crime years after it has happened was well executed imo and the different suspects kept me guessing for a while about what went down 5 years ago. Didn't see the ending coming until STORY SPOILER
Yuuto fixed the broken file on the computer

Question about the ending:
So of course there's a cliffhanger. "Trick" was the handle for multiple members of the hacker collective and they wanted the murder of one of their own publicly solved, but the janitor might not have been the Trick that caused the death of Hisada's daughter. Right?

GSR

Question about the ending:
So of course there's a cliffhanger. "Trick" was the handle for multiple members of the hacker collective and they wanted the murder of one of their own publicly solved, but the janitor might not have been the Trick that caused the death of Hisada's daughter. Right?

Right.
It's left ambiguous as to if the janitor was the TRICK who killed Hisada's daughter, or even just a fall guy, but the fact he didn't make any attempt to fight back suggests it may have been him. At the very least he presumably felt guilt over the group's actions even if he wasn't the one to kill Suzu.

takoyaki

Right.
It's left ambiguous as to if the janitor was the TRICK who killed Hisada's daughter, or even just a fall guy, but the fact he didn't make any attempt to fight back suggests it may have been him. At the very least he presumably felt guilt over the group's actions even if he wasn't the one to kill Suzu.

Thanks!
That's how I interpreted his actions after being confronted. It felt strange that he would be so nice to Yuuto if he was someone who's also willing to kill a child. But then again, could have been guilt and wanting to make up for what he'd done.

Oh, and apparently clovers represent revenge; you never stop learning ;)

Top Bottom